PDA

View Full Version : Cork City annoyed at Longford’s lack of co-operation on fixture

Bernie
11/01/2002, 7:28 AM
Cork City annoyed at Longford’s lack of co-operation on fixture

By Bill George
CORK CITY are peeved at having to travel to Flancare Park on Saturday night for their delayed League match rather than Sunday afternoon.
Longford Town refused their request for a Sunday game and their stubborn attitude has irritated Cork who feel a little more co-operation is due to them after their generous attitude regarding midfielder Greg O’Halloran.

O’Halloran, a capable player at full-back or in midfield and a regular member of Brian Kerr’s international under-age teams, was allowed travel on loan to Longford when he expressed dissatisfaction at being left out of the Cork team at the start of the season.

Longford manager, Martin Lawlor, then sought to sign O’Halloran when his loan period expired a couple of weeks ago and Cork’s Liam Murphy gave the club permission to discuss terms with the player. However, they failed to reach agreement and O’Halloran is now back with the Cork squad.

He will not figure in the team for this match, however, and manager Murphy is likely to retain the line-up that started for the 1-0 victory against Derry two weeks ago.

Club captain Declan Daly is not ready to return as yet but Stephen Napier, who was ruled out for the postponed match a week ago, is available after his eye infection cleared up.

Cork’s options in midfield have not been plentiful in recent weeks but if Colin O’Brien returns after his loan period with Waterford ends on January 26 their hand will be strengthened.

O’Brien started just four early-season games for Cork and, like O’Halloran, was unhappy with his share of the action. With Kelvin Flanagan and Mark Herrick recently transferred, Cork’s resources are depleted.

O’Brien’s namesake, Colin P. O’Brien, played well against Derry and, with Noel Hartigan as his partner, will hold off the challenge of the fit-again James Mulligan. The restoration of nine points to St Pats means Cork need to win to remain in the championship battle.

Xlex
11/01/2002, 8:43 AM
Longford to play on Saturday shocker....

Sunday is A shi!te day for a match... Saturday is longfords night.... You 'll see the difference when the floodlights arrive.......

Beside our stewards have to have the few pints for the dutch courage.... ya dirty Cork scumbag......... I can hear the abuse.....

But that what happens with those men in control!!........ :rolleyes: :o

Is that true about O'Halloran....

Neil
11/01/2002, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by Xlex
Is that true about O'Halloran....
Greg has been 'with the Cork squad' all along in so far as he trains with them on a Tuesday night. He obviously has no interest in moving to Longford permanently but I doubt if he'll have any part to play in Liam Murphy's plans either.

Macy
11/01/2002, 9:44 AM
He obviously has no interest in moving to Longford permanently
Thank fook for that the fat, slow, lazy waster - I'll never forgive him for that goal against UCD.......

Is Saturday night really that much of a problem compared to Sunday afternoon? Same old l@ngers, always moaning......

Neil
11/01/2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Macy
[BIs Saturday night really that much of a problem compared to Sunday afternoon? Same old l@ngers, always moaning...... [/B]
To be fair, it means the difference between City players having a training session Saturday morning and the rest of the day off and then travelling Sunday morning getting back late Sunday night. Instead of having to travel Saturday morning and not getting back until 4/5 Sunday morning.

Bernie
11/01/2002, 10:19 AM
Not to mention the travel weary, cash strapped supporters!!

fosterdollar
11/01/2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Bernie
Not to mention the travel weary, cash strapped moaners

dead right bernie!

Éanna
14/01/2002, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by Bernie
Not to mention the travel weary, cash strapped supporters!!
don't talk to me. i couldn't even make it home to cork from limerick this weekend i'm so broke :D