PDA

View Full Version : Sean's Q&A

sligoman
18/11/2004, 7:53 PM
For those who missed it,here it is:
Sean, is their any chance of Rovers playing Birmingham City in the Showgrounds some time?
<atfconline> Early days obviously, but how do you see next season shaping up with three of the better teams leaving the Division,
and only Dublin City coming down?
<atfconline> From what you have seen so far
[Thu Nov 18 19:26:53 GMT 2004] Ciaran O'Grady
[Thu Nov 18 19:26:59 GMT 2004] Redders
<Redders> hey all!
<Redders> Anyone talking?
<Ciaran O'Grady> Dont seem to be
[Thu Nov 18 19:27:56 GMT 2004] in_da_red
<Redders> is Sean still here?
[Thu Nov 18 19:28:03 GMT 2004] Damian
<in_da_red> hello to everyone
<Redders> hes gone! long his career! ;)
<in_da_red> is the manager here ?
<Redders> hes just gone i think!
<Ciaran O'Grady> That's just dandy!
<in_da_red> just gone ?? only 30 mins on ??
<Paraic> sean just got knocked off again - bit annoying as I just typed a ling response !!
<Paraic> sligoman - your answers are on foot.ie now
<in_da_red> well is this over or what ?
<Ciaran O'Grady> Dial up connection eh?
<Paraic> no - i think I'm just typing in too much -
[Thu Nov 18 19:29:52 GMT 2004] Sean Connor
<Sean Connor> I'll keep it short this time - I expect friendlies with Birminghan plus other English and Irish lEague teams next
summer
<Ciaran O'Grady> Any leads on new players for next season?
<Damian> are the committee going to fund the purchase of new players
<Redders> Sean, how many players are you intending you keep from the current squad for next season?
<Sean Connor> I never talk to about new player until they are signed.
<Sean Connor> re number of players keeping - I've already answered
<Ciaran O'Grady> Course not, just looking for an idea
<Sean Connor> current squad of 24, expect to keep about 12 -14
<Damian> have to a good relationship with the committee?
> Do you think we can win against Limerick on Saturday?
<Redders> ok, thxs. Have u ever scouted Sligo IT for potential talent seeing as they have finished very highly in national events?
<Sean Connor> re the committee, Yes. We're all working in the same direction - we want to see sligo back in the premier league
<Sean Connor> re Limerick - of cours I think we can win - I believe we can win every game.
<Ciaran O'Grady> Speakin of premier league, How long you think it'll take you to get us back there?
[Thu Nov 18 19:33:33 GMT 2004] slamerbeck@aol.com
<Sean Connor> re IT - not yet, but I intend to.
<Ciaran O'Grady> Isn't Lawless not in the IT?
<Sean Connor> getting back to Premier - I've a 3.5 year contract, I'v like to think that in 2 and half years time, we'll be there.
<Sean Connor> I have to be realistic
<Redders> was! very good player at that, but there is alot of potential there! ALOT! saw them playing a few times
> What did you know about the club before you came here?
<Damian> is the Birmingham connection a 1 way street or will it help SRFC to move up to the premier
<Paraic> Benny Lawless left before Sean arrived -
<Ciaran O'Grady> Ok, sorry I been away
> Can you tell us anyone who will leave the club for definite during the break?
<Sean Connor> Re club: I knew club had illustious history from Dixie Dean to Johnny Armstrong, David Pugh, Paul McGee, etc
<Damian> how would you compare the the standard of football in div 1 - english div 2 or 3?
<Sean Connor> re BCFC: defintiely not a one way street - wait and see
<Redders> When do you expect to have all players from the current squad signed for next year??
<Sean Connor> I not prepared to reveal the information about players leaving on line - anyways, I don't want to talk about individuals
either coming or going
[Thu Nov 18 19:39:33 GMT 2004] Audio alert from Redders.
<Sean Connor> RE standard in Eircom Premier would be top Div 2 (coca-cola) Our league would be Division 3 / confernece
<Ciaran O'Grady> Other clubs, Shels, Cork etc have had connections with English teams before and they were fruitless. What
makes the BCFC connection any different?
<Sean Connor> All the players I want to stay ahve already signed or are about to sign
> Will we ever play Celtic in a friendly?
<Sean Connor> BCFC connection is different because of my personal relationshipt with Steve Bruce.
<Sean Connor> Re a Celtic friendly, I'm currently trying to sort this out.
> Will Steve Bruce ever visit the Showgrounds and train the youth teams?
<Paraic> lads, last few questions , Sean needs to get back to the tail end of training - 5 more minutes ok??
<Redders> k
<Paraic> Steve Bruce will visit, but may not train the youth teams - I may ask him to take a first team session. We have their
academy staff for the youths
> ok,Who would you like to see win the First Division this season, UCD or Finn Harps?
<Damian> Thanks for your honest opinons,Sean best for Limerick game and next season
<Redders> Sean,how much does the business community have to play in making Rovers a successful club? e.g. sponsorship,
signage etc round ground
<Sean Connor> Finn Harps of course - I'm very good friends with their first team coach.
<Sean Connor> Thanks Damien
<in_da_red> what will be a successful season next season ? top three ?
<Sean Connor> Re the business community - this level of football is dictated by finances, the more money I get in, the better
players I can sign. Trust me.
> Have you any friendlies confirmed with any club? If so who and when are they?
<Ciaran O'Grady> You want to bring in players from outside or from other EL clubs?
<Sean Connor> Definitely a top three finish, hopefully a cup run and a team that the town and supporters will be proud of
<Redders> Sean,u seem to have alot of confidence in urself, a Jose Mourinhio type manager if u will, can u bring the success that
he has brough to Porto to Rovers?
<Sean Connor> Friendlies - Apart from Birminghan, Glenavon - both dates have to arranged
<in_da_red> that's good to hear. all us supporters want is an honest team with players working hard. are u enjoying living in this
area ?
<Sean Connor> Players from outside. USA plus UK
> Is their any new developments for the Showgrounds planned? apart from all-weather pitch
<Sean Connor> Of course I have to have confidence on myself. Remember I have to motivate the team, so they have got to faith in
me, and my confidence will rub off on team
[Thu Nov 18 19:47:43 GMT 2004] eiredude
<Ciaran O'Grady> How often are the BCFC coaches gonna come over?
> Are you enjoying your first time at been a manager?
<Sean Connor> Guys, I have to head back to training - thank you all for your time and interest. I promise you I will work 24/7 to bring
Premier football back to the showgrounds
<Ciaran O'Grady> Good luck
<Sean Connor> I want ius all to join in the success
<in_da_red> all the best sean. thanks for the time. good luck for next year.see u in limerick
> Welcome to the job &Good luck for next season Sean
<Redders> Thanks Sean and Good Luck!
<Redders> Cheerio ALL!

sligoman
18/11/2004, 11:17 PM
> ok,Who would you like to see win the First Division this season, UCD or Finn Harps?

<Sean Connor> Finn Harps of course - I'm very good friends with their first team coach.

Finn Harps?, That wont go down too well with the majority of fans :D

joey B
19/11/2004, 10:12 AM
will like it or not they are premier side now and we still are not. so if they win the league they'll deserve it. and apparently we wont be premier for another 2 seasons at least ...although i think the manager is playing next season down..think rovers will have a good season next year
If you sign 3 decent players then there is no reason why you shouldnt challenge you have the ground and the fans.Best of luck!!!!!!!!

showgies
19/11/2004, 1:44 PM
Finn Harps?, That wont go down too well with the majority of fans :D

I am not the too sure the "majority" of Rovers fans actually hate Harps. Yes they are our local derby, and I love to beat them.....but in general they have good well behaved support. Although, I do have a distinct dislike of Felix Healy........I believe that there are a few Harp-heads who do too.

I will miss the trip up to Finn Park, local derbys are always something to look forward to and we owe them a couple.....

I think it is good for the Premier to have more regional teams.............Good Luck to them.

DonalE
19/11/2004, 11:26 PM
Dont hate Harps either,only reason i wouldnt like them to go up is cos have 1 less away game to go to now.