PDA

View Full Version : Briain Kerr - review

thejollyrodger
18/11/2004, 2:20 PM
Personally I belive Kerr is one of the best managers Ireland has ever had. He is bringing in new players, getting the maximum out of the existing ones. Tatically he is trying new formations with some sucess and has brought a lots of professionalism to the side. Here is a good article in the Irish Times (there is a 30 day free trial if anyone is intrested)

All geared up for a future age
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2004/1118/1224020301SP2SOCEMMET.html

SOCCER/Republic of Ireland in 2004: He may still be some way off his goal of taking this Irish team to a major championship finals, but in the wake of Tuesday's comfortable win over Croatia all the indications are that Brian Kerr has the potential to become the Republic's most accomplished manager and perhaps its most successful.

The defeat of the Euro 2004 finalists means that he boasts the best record of any Ireland coach at this stage of his career. His team's record for the current year, meanwhile, is fractionally better than that of either Brazil or France - the two top ranked sides in the world - neither of which could beat the Republic during the past 12 months.

Kerr has now been in charge for 24 games of which 14 have been won and eight drawn. That's marginally better than Jack Charlton's 13 and seven at the same stage of his reign and significantly superior to the starts made by John Giles, Eoin Hand and Mick McCarthy, who could boast nine, eight and six wins, respectively, by this point in their careers as international manager.

In more current, though perhaps rather unscientific, terms, Kerr's side has outperformed both the World and European champions during 2004, with the Brazilians managing a fractionally lower success rate in their 17 games prior to yesterday (eight wins and eight draws) and the Greeks, managing just six wins and five draws (both sets of figures exclude extra-time) in 15 games prior to last night.

The difference is, of course, that those teams played in major continental championships while all but four of Ireland's outings since last Christmas have been friendly games.

On a number of occasions it has appeared that Kerr has pursued victories in these matches more vigorously than his various opposite numbers, although this is not to take away unduly from the team's achievements during a spell that included some strong performances and good results, most notably in the games against Brazil, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands.

In competitive terms, the highlight of 2004 was the draw in France, but it at this sort of higher level that Kerr really remains unproven. The reality is that in the 22 months since he took over Ireland did not win any of their four games with qualification rivals. The record to date is three draws and one defeat, although the points earned in Basel and Paris suggest welcome progress when compared with the loss away to Switzerland and failure to beat Russia in Dublin towards the end of 2003.

Clearly, however, the Irish are not going to be in Germany unless they win a couple of their bigger games during the year ahead, and Mark Lawrenson's prediction that the side that comes away from Tel Aviv with three points will top the group might not be far off the mark.

Winning away against opposition of real quality still looks a tall order for this Irish side, but what is encouraging is that the team has shown continual signs of improvement over the past two years as Kerr succeeded in getting the best out of established players and integrating a couple of talented youngsters.

McCarthy, to be fair, had little problem getting what was largely the same group of players to perform for him, but his successor's influence has certainly been positive in a number of areas.

Kerr has benefited from the fact that Robbie Keane and Damien Duff have continued to mature into players of considerable ability during the past two years. Kerr has also been rewarded for his investment in the likes of Kevin Kilbane, Clinton Morrison and Andy O'Brien with a string of increasingly confident performances, while his willingness to hand young players their chance has also proved well judged, most notably in the case of Andy Reid.

Notwithstanding the slight shift in emphasis on Tuesday, his tactical approach has been more settled than he initially suggested, but within a rather set formation he has successfully cultivated flexibility with Duff, Reid and Steve Finnan the main movers within a team once again driven by Roy Keane.

On the downside, the squad is undoubtedly weaker now in the goalkeeping department than it was under McCarthy and it remains open to question whether Dean Kiely might have been kept on board.

A number of players, meanwhile, have not, for one reason or another, progressed in quite the way that would have been hoped a couple of years back with, for instance, John O'Shea appearing to have slipped back in the Manchester United pecking order and Steven Reid having seen his career almost completely drained of its momentum by injuries.

The bulk of the news has been good, though, and at the heart of the 38 players used by Kerr this year there is the makings of a capable young team that has its best years ahead of it.

For Roy Keane and Kenny Cunningham this campaign may mark the end of the road. For the rest, like their manager, however, the past two years point to a bright future, albeit one that may not, whether they make it to Germany or not, be fully realised until after 2006.

Since the international soccer year is now over, whats everyones thoughts on the job he has done so far.

Donal81
18/11/2004, 2:46 PM
I think Emmet Malone's point that he remains unproven at the higher levels is true. We've been a very consistent team over the year and haven't made too many mistakes. Certainly, when we've played woefully, it's down to players not getting their act together and there haven't been any shocking lapses in judgement. I think the next year will make him or break him. The home matches against the Swiss and the French as well as the two Israeli matches will define him. He's made the break with the McCarthy/Keane era, thank f*ck, and that's an achievement in itself. He's bringing the players in and I have a lot more faith in his set-up and background in youth football than I do in McCarthy's and Ian Evans'.

Cowboy
18/11/2004, 2:56 PM
I think Emmet Malone's point that he remains unproven at the higher levels is true. We've been a very consistent team over the year and haven't made too many mistakes. Certainly, when we've played woefully, it's down to players not getting their act together and there haven't been any shocking lapses in judgement. I think the next year will make him or break him. The home matches against the Swiss and the French as well as the two Israeli matches will define him. He's made the break with the McCarthy/Keane era, thank f*ck, and that's an achievement in itself. He's bringing the players in and I have a lot more faith in his set-up and background in youth football than I do in McCarthy's and Ian Evans'.

I agree his attention to detail is one of his strong points, evans especially was weak although setters had to be the all time low

ken foree
18/11/2004, 3:18 PM
a small example this, but when he replaced morrison with reid in paris there was a collective sigh of appreciative relief from the pub i watched the game in. dunno but it seemed the exactly correct choice at the time so hopefully his tactical nous remains as positive throughout the campaign

Stuttgart88
18/11/2004, 3:31 PM
I must admit I was disappointed in the Euro2004 qualification performances when he took over first but in 2004 he has put his own personal mark on this team and by and large I think he's done pretty well.

I haven't always agreed with his squad selections but I trust his judgment in how to best introduce some of the younger players and how to motivate fringe players. In a couple of years I hope we'll see the benefit of including players like Barrett, Quinn and Maybury on an ongoing basis.

His work rate and preparation is fantastic. He always seems to be on the road monitoring fringe players' form and a lot of credit is due for that. I don't think any manager has known so much about the players he's had available.

The overall style of play is getting better too and it seems like he knows that a fast tempo passing game is what'll yield results.

That's all well & good though. The true test of his management will be his ability to secure qualification from the decent position we're in at the moment. If he succeeeds I have no doubt he'll have higher expectations than previous managers.

I reckon he's up to the task.

Stuttgart88
18/11/2004, 3:33 PM
a small example this, but when he replaced morrison with reid in paris there was a collective sigh of appreciative relief from the pub i watched the game in. dunno but it seemed the exactly correct choice at the time so hopefully his tactical nous remains as positive throughout the campaign

I was thinking the same thing. Another small example was the speed at which we moved the ball around in the first half against the Faroes. That's exactly how you unlock an inferior but spirited side playing for a draw. Kerr can't be blamed for poor finishing.

Donal81
18/11/2004, 3:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Another small example was the speed at which we moved the ball around in the first half against the Faroes. That's exactly how you unlock an inferior but spirited side playing for a draw. Kerr can't be blamed for poor finishing.

Too right. When we've played woefully, it's difficult to blame him for it. Against a team like Cyprus or the Faroes, you can't let them settle and you have to keep hassling them. We did that but the frees were terrible and finishing was miserable, I don't think that was Kerr's fault, just good players playing badly.

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 4:38 PM
When Kerr first took over people mentioned how well organised his teams are defensively and he has certainly proved them right. 9 clean sheets in the 13 games in 2004. We may not be scoring many but we're getting the results and as long as we don't concede there is a very high chance of us getting the result we need. When you think of the individual talents in the early Charlton defence, individual talent hardly matters in Kerr's defence.

Also, in his 14 friendlies to date he has gave first caps to 15 players (Reid, Lee, Miller, Quinn, Rowlands, Kenny, Douglas, Clarke, Murphy, Thompson, Byrne, Doyle, Macken, McGeady, Elliott).

thejollyrodger
18/11/2004, 4:42 PM
Kerr has some great points alright. The fact that he goes and sees all the players and fringe players is a major plus. He can see with his own eyes their strength and weakness. Plus the player knows that the manager is considering him and he going to raise his game. Some of the players need more time on the "we will have to see if he will be called into the squad" motivation than others. Any player that has come in looks very well motivated. Even for meaningless friendlies. Jack Charlton never travelled to see players and didnt know 1/2 their names. kerr really know the quality of the opposition, their tatics and weak points. Something that wasnt really done before.

Under Jack and to a lesser extent Mick, Ireland were pretty 1 dimensional tatically. I think that is something that let us down in the past. We got a win on tuesday night with a new 4-3-3 formation. I would like to see Ireland play this formation more.

Kerr is a great manager but the main problem is coaching. Technically the Irish players could be better and so could their finishing. There wont be too many chances in the matches of 2005 and we really need to take them.

It doesnt really concern Kerr but The FAI and the government really has to press ahead with the technical plan. Traditionally it's one area that were lacking in both at national and club level. And even if they do, its going to take a right few years before we see the real benefits of it.

Superhoops
18/11/2004, 10:11 PM
Since the international soccer year is now over, whats everyones thoughts on the job he has done so far.
Generally Kerr has done a great job, particularly with the young players he has brought in. Although I disagreed with it at the time and still do, he must also take credit for the return of Roy Keane.

The only one area where we need to see if 'he really has it' is when we go behind and are chasing a game. The one time it happened was the Euro 2004 qualifying game in Basel when we went down to an early goal. On that occasion, there seemed to be no ideas from the sideline to change things around. He may not have had many options but the introduction of Kinsella and Finnan for the last 15 minutes was hardly the sign of ambition.

I would never wish us to go behind in any game but it is inevitable it will happen sometime and it will be interesting to see what the reaction from the sideline will be.