PDA

View Full Version : Connor plans Christmas shopping spree

sligoman
18/11/2004, 2:37 PM
Got this from:http://www.unison.ie/sligo_champion/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1289219&issue_id=11703, as you have to register I have posted all the article here

SLIGO Rovers manager, Sean Connor, is preparing for some early Christmas shopping as he steps up his squad rebuilding efforts for next season.

Connor spends this week tying up deals with several of his existing senior players and will then turn his attention to England and the Irish League as he bids to attract new talent to the Showgrounds.

Goalkeeper, Alvin Rouse, has just signed a one-year extension to his contract and the Rovers boss is planning to bring in a vastly experienced former international goalkeeper, to work with the 23-years-old Bajan, who Connor believes has the potential to become one of the best 'keepers in the country.

"Alvin has loads of ability and my plan is to bring in this goalkeeper, who will start for us next season and who will work with Alvin as part of his education.

"Alvin will be more than capable of taking over when the new 'keeper comes to the end of his contract and I honestly feel that while he is not the finished article, Alvin has the potential to do very, very well," Connor maintained.

With midfielder, Stephen O'Donnell, already putting pen to paper and Irish Under-18 International, Gary Curran, and Crossmolina's Sean Kelly also signing senior contracts, the Rovers manager is hoping to conclude deals with a number of senior players today, Wednesday.

Ciaran Foley, Barry O'Dwyer, Paul McTiernan and Steve Feeney have one year left on their contracts and Connor hopes to add to his panel in the coming weeks.

"I don't want to be shouting off as to who I am after, because I have seen too many deals fall apart at the last minute.

"I prefer to wait until I have these players put pen to paper, but I can make one promise to the Sligo supporters and that is that I will make every effort to bring quality players to the club," he explained.

Connor revealed that he has lost one potential target, the player concerned having opted to sign for Conference side, Dagenham and Redbridge, for £1,000 per week.

"I just can't compete with that sort of money, but while I was disappointed to lose the player in question,in another way I am delighted in that it proves I am after the right sort of individuals," said Connor.

"Once I get things sorted out here in Sligo, I will go to England and the North to watch some players I have identified as possible signings. I have some meetings arranged and I will just take things from there," he added.

Commenting on Rovers last home game of the season, which resulted in a one-all draw against Cobh Ramblers on Saturday night, the Rovers manager expressed his disappointment that they had not taken all three points.

"It was a scrappy encounter and I was very, very disappointed, both with the atmosphere around the place and the outcome.

"We never started as brightly as I would have expected. We played a new system, but we never seemed to get out of the blocks early.

"These are the sort of games we will need to win next season if we want to be pushing for promotion," Connor said.

gustavo
18/11/2004, 5:34 PM
is he gonna try to go after players from the premier ?