PDA

View Full Version : Details of RTEs final day coverage released.

Slash/ED
18/11/2004, 12:17 PM
RTE announce details of TV coverage

November 18, 2004

RTE have confirmed details of their coverage of the title-deciding final night of eircom League action, with the state broadcaster sending cameras and commentators to both Richmond Park and Turners Cross as all the action unfolds in the final thrust of the 2004 season.

Anchor-man George Hamilton will present the programme, which begins at 7.00pm on Friday night, thus ensuring a half-hour of pre-match build-up and comment from pundits Roddy Collins and Alan Matthews, the managers of Shamrock Rovers and Longford Town respectively.

Darragh Maloney will be in the commentary box at Tolka Park as leaders Shelbourne take on St Patrick’s Athletic seeking the point they need to seal the title.

Meanwhile, Stephen Alkin will be keeping his eye on events at Turners Cross, where Cork City require a win against Bohemians to have any chance of sneaking into top spot.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=14699

Sounds excellent, a decent build up and good coverage of both games. Seems a bit odd to have George Hamilton presenting though? I presume they got mixed up and Hamilton will commentate while Darragh Maloney will present the thing. Hardly matters too much mind you, but the coverage looks good all the same.

Ringo
18/11/2004, 1:02 PM
Sounds excellent, a decent build up and good coverage of both games. Seems a bit odd to have George Hamilton presenting though? I presume they got mixed up and Hamilton will commentate while Darragh Maloney will present the thing. Hardly matters too much mind you, but the coverage looks good all the same.
once again RTE only interested in the big games. What the **** are they having Roddy on for :rolleyes:

KR's Post
18/11/2004, 1:11 PM
I know what you mean ringo!!!! What a classic our championship decider was last year and they came up with the excuse that whitehall wouldn't look good on tv!!!! Or was this tv3. Doesn't matter really. One of them should have shown it!!!!!!! :p

NY Hoop
18/11/2004, 1:42 PM
once again RTE only interested in the big games. What the **** are they having Roddy on for :rolleyes:

Cos Roddy brings attention plus he's managing the biggest club.

KOH

hulltillidie
18/11/2004, 1:48 PM
I think there are much better analysts out there than Roddy Collins. Damien Richardson for example.

Still though should be excellent TV. its great that they have a live feed from both games. RTE look like that are getting off their asses after Setanta and TV3 have stopped their monopoly.

All we need now is a quality Review programme next year. TV3's effort is not good enough.

Roo69
18/11/2004, 2:33 PM
Cos Roddy brings attention plus he's managing the biggest club.

KOH

:confused: Has roddy walked out on Rovers already and taken the Bray job ? :D

Carlin
18/11/2004, 2:51 PM
"Darragh Maloney will be in the commentary box at Tolka Park "

Won't he be a bit lonely seeing as the game is in Richmond Park :D

pete
18/11/2004, 3:08 PM
"Darragh Maloney will be in the commentary box at Tolka Park "

Won't he be a bit lonely seeing as the game is in Richmond Park :D

Even when RTE do well they still feck it up :eek:

Slash/ED
18/11/2004, 5:31 PM

People moan about no TV coverage, then we start getting TV coverage, and it's the games they're covering and the fecking pundits on the thing we have to moan about :rolleyes: Do we always have to have a good ol' moan, even when RTE are actually bothering to show games this season which can only be good?

Colm
18/11/2004, 6:15 PM

Of course they're interested in the big games.
They're hardly going to show games involving the likes of Dublin City, UCD etc.
We're trying to promote a positive image of our league.

As for Roddy, he's outspoken, rarely shuts up and is very well dressed. Perfect for televison.

Éanna
18/11/2004, 6:51 PM
he's outspoken, rarely shuts up and is very well dressed.
thought you were talking about yourself there :D

ShelsTim
18/11/2004, 8:22 PM
Does this mean they'll be switching back and forth between games? Or just show Shels/Pats with highlights as they happen from the Cross? Half an hour build-up, wowee, it's twice the size of the shows they had two years ago. Progress, progress.

Ringo
19/11/2004, 6:35 AM
Of course they're interested in the big games.
They're hardly going to show games involving the likes of Dublin City, UCD etc.
We're trying to promote a positive image of our league.

RTE do **** all for the league. they think they'll make a few quid & thats all.

Macy
19/11/2004, 7:36 AM
IMO it's up to the FAI and eL to negogiate a decent coverage package tied to the international rights (without no get outs for clubs once it's agreed).

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 10:46 AM

I couldn't care less if they make a few quid or not, them showing matches is only good for the league and the better the quality of the matches the better it is for us.

Poor Student
19/11/2004, 10:50 AM

Well Ringo how do you want it? We complain when they give no coverge and we complain when they do. A thousand mile journey begins with a single step and I think we have improved the amount of coverage this year a lot. It may be focused on the big tems but if we're ever going to get bigger coverage it mst begin that way.

Ringo
19/11/2004, 12:19 PM
Well Ringo how do you want it? We complain when they give no coverge and we complain when they do. A thousand mile journey begins with a single step and I think we have improved the amount of coverage this year a lot. It may be focused on the big tems but if we're ever going to get bigger coverage it mst begin that way.
its up to the FAI to force coverage out of the TV channels , as part of the national team coverage. why not advertise the league before major National games. Its good that its on TV tonight, but the showing live games effects addendence & all teams need the revenue from that.

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 3:18 PM
its up to the FAI to force coverage out of the TV channels , as part of the national team coverage. why not advertise the league before major National games. Its good that its on TV tonight, but the showing live games effects addendence & all teams need the revenue from that.

So you don't want matches on TV at all? :confused:

I doubt revenue will be an issue here, The Cross is already sold out and apparently Richmond is fairly likely to be too.

paudie
19/11/2004, 3:41 PM
Given the attendances at most EL games the clubs can't go shouting the odds to RTE about compensation for live games.

Showing live games is free publicity for a league that gets very little from the media so I think we'll have to be happy with that for the moment.

EL weekly is only on TV3 cos it was linked to their delayed coverage of friendly internationals.

Ringo
19/11/2004, 10:58 PM
So you don't want matches on TV at all? :confused:

I doubt revenue will be an issue here, The Cross is already sold out and apparently Richmond is fairly likely to be too.
Looked like a lot of empty seats to me.

pete
22/11/2004, 2:38 PM
Looked like a lot of empty seats to me.

I presume you meant Richmond as the cross was crammed & could have sold a few more thousand tickets on the night.

Thought RTEs build up to the match fairly decent but suffers from no presenter who knows anything about the eL (e.g. call it the LOI all the time). Also thought RTE were gonna switch between the matches but had what looked like camcorder at the cross & that software they using for dual screen was dire as could pic from cross was bizarrely smaller than Richmond Park.

Good marks for effort i suppose but IF city game had been relavant would not have been able to show good pics with the 1 camcorder.

Ringo
22/11/2004, 3:08 PM
I presume you meant Richmond as the cross was crammed & could have sold a few more thousand tickets on the night.

Thought RTEs build up to the match fairly decent but suffers from no presenter who knows anything about the eL (e.g. call it the LOI all the time). Also thought RTE were gonna switch between the matches but had what looked like camcorder at the cross & that software they using for dual screen was dire as could pic from cross was bizarrely smaller than Richmond Park.

Good marks for effort i suppose but IF city game had been relavant would not have been able to show good pics with the 1 camcorder.

how would they have got the cup to you?

Crambler
22/11/2004, 3:22 PM
anyone notice or did i miss it,they never once mentioned the wat v derry,galway v kildare or mons v bray games/scores/results during the show.
i know i was a big night for city/shells but could you see the b b c or any national broadcaster worldwide not mention at least the scores in these games.

Éanna
22/11/2004, 4:45 PM
how would they have got the cup to you?
the duplicate was there.