PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Stephanie Roche until the 12th

Pages : [1] 2

Darklordsbane
04/01/2015, 11:26 AM
Today is the last day for voting lets all give Stephanie our votes wouldn't it be great if she won

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/puskas-award/

I don't do twitter and facebook so it would be great if someone could jump all over this link and get it to go Viral

tetsujin1979
04/01/2015, 1:08 PM
Last day is the day of the awards itself, the twelfth

Darklordsbane
04/01/2015, 1:35 PM
Ok sorry my mistake the site I was on said last chance up until 7pm today

tricky_colour
04/01/2015, 4:17 PM
I voted!! (for Cahill - not really) I voted for Stephanie but I doubt she will win but you never know.

samhaydenjr
04/01/2015, 5:05 PM
I voted!! (for Cahill - not really) I voted for Stephanie but I doubt she will win but you never know.

Don't be overly pessimistic, Tricky - remember it was only a disqualification that prevented mischievous Irish football fans from turning Ronnie O'Brien into Time Magazine's Man of the Century. So there's every chance that Stephanie could win this award (which she actually deserves - van Persie and Rodriguez's goals are good, but conventional - they just happened at the World Cup). So remember lads, vote early and vote often - you can do multiple votes, but not in the same computer session or on the same day, I think

tetsujin1979
04/01/2015, 5:14 PM
Don't be overly pessimistic, Tricky - remember it was only a disqualification that prevented mischievous Irish football fans from turning Ronnie O'Brien into Time Magazine's Man of the Century. So there's every chance that Stephanie could win this award (which she actually deserves - van Persie and Rodriguez's goals are good, but conventional - they just happened at the World Cup). So remember lads, vote early and vote often - you can do multiple votes, but not in the same computer session or on the same day, I think
if you use privacy mode, or incognito mode as its known on some browsers, you can vote as many times as you want!

I threw together this vine to show how to use it on Chrome on Android - I'm presuming it's the same on iPhone/iPad: https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/statuses/551699752522637312

Video quality isn't great, but you can follow it

tetsujin1979
12/01/2015, 11:48 AM
last day of voting today, not sure what time the cut off is, but the awards are tonight
Keep voting here: http://www.fifa.com/puskas

TheOneWhoKnocks
12/01/2015, 11:52 AM
Ivan Yates on Stephanie Roche: It's tokenism because she is a woman. No way she deserves award, it's sham amateurism.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/newstalks-ivan-yates-on-stephanie-roche-its-tokenism-because-she-is-a-woman-no-way-she-deserves-award-its-sham-amateurism-30900537.html

I thought it was a fantastic goal in fairness. An understatement but you know what I mean. Take away her gender and the opposition, and the goal still deserves to be lauded because of her technique, awareness and glorious finish.

Spudulika
12/01/2015, 12:02 PM
For a man with no shame and sense of decency, he'd be better off talking about what he knows best - running businesses into the ground.

And the goal was well taken. For an amateur player she was composed, balanced and it was sweetly struck. FIFA is the governing body of a number of football types for both genders, so it is right she is nominated.

DannyInvincible
12/01/2015, 12:19 PM
It is explicitly stated in FIFA's Rules of Allocation that the level of championship in which the goal was scored is not relevant to the allocation of the award: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/ballon-dor/puskasaward/02/46/27/55/puskasaward_rules_of_allocation_en_neutral.pdf

The Award rewards the best goal scored between the dates of 3 October 2013 and 26 September 2014 (inclusively), without distinction of championship, gender or nationality.

pineapple stu
12/01/2015, 12:34 PM
van Persie and Rodriguez's goals are good, but conventional
Van Persie's goal isn't conventional at all. I've never seen a goal like it.

Rodriguez' goal is "conventional", albeit brilliant.

Three great goals. FIFA deserve huge credit for instigating the competition; it's brilliant.

And I think Roche's goal sums up everything that's great about it - anyone can win.

Surprised at a politician not taking the populist view. Idiotic comments.

tetsujin1979
12/01/2015, 12:53 PM
Van Persie's goal isn't conventional at all. I've never seen a goal like it.

Rodriguez' goal is "conventional", albeit brilliant.

Three great goals. FIFA deserve huge credit for instigating the competition; it's brilliant.

And I think Roche's goal sums up everything that's great about it - anyone can win.

Surprised at a politician not taking the populist view. Idiotic comments.

Henrik Larsson scored almost the exact same goal vs Bulgaria in Euro 2004 (goal is on 0:05)
0eylReIkJXA

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2015, 2:51 PM
Ivan Yates on Stephanie Roche: It's tokenism because she is a woman. No way she deserves award, it's sham amateurism.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/newstalks-ivan-yates-on-stephanie-roche-its-tokenism-because-she-is-a-woman-no-way-she-deserves-award-its-sham-amateurism-30900537.html

I thought it was a fantastic goal in fairness. An understatement but you know what I mean. Take away her gender and the opposition, and the goal still deserves to be lauded because of her technique, awareness and glorious finish.
Wrong sport, ********.

Yates, not you :o

DeLorean
12/01/2015, 3:05 PM
Henrik Larsson scored almost the exact same goal vs Bulgaria in Euro 2004

I wouldn't agree with that. Larsson's is a brilliant diving header but it is conventional in a sense, albeit better than most. It's different to Van Persie's in the sense that the cross is coming at him from a far more favourable angle and the power is already generated for him, such is the quality of the ball whipped in. He basically just needs to focus on meeting the ball cleanly. What makes Van Persie's so difficult was that the ball was played long, high and almost floated from behind his back. I think he has a much more difficult task of keeping his eye on it and generating the elevation to put it over Casillas.

DeLorean
12/01/2015, 3:20 PM
I listen to Newstalk fairly regularly in the mornings. I don't mind Yates at all but it's clear that he hasn't an iota about football. He likes to talk about it anyway though and claims to be big Manchester City fan, but it's pretty obvious that he doesn't really care. Roche's nomination was always going to be open to this kind of begrudgery, but I think anybody who knocks her nomination just show themselves up as being ignorant to how difficult a skill it was that actually performed. It blows me away every time I watch it and would be a very worthy winner from the goals I have seen. It's the best of the three for me. I could imagine myself attempting the other two (in an astro situation :)) but there's no way I'd even be capable of attempting Roche's goal, just too many places where it would fall down.

pineapple stu
12/01/2015, 3:31 PM
Henrik Larsson scored almost the exact same goal vs Bulgaria in Euro 2004 (goal is on 0:05)
Dunno how I'd forgotten that one!

Still, far from "conventional".

Roche's is kind of like Pele in the 1958 World Cup final, but better in each element - the take down, the flick past the defender and the finish.

The Fly
12/01/2015, 3:51 PM

I'd have more of a problem with the winner being determined by a public vote, and would much prefer a panel to decide such things.

TheOneWhoKnocks
12/01/2015, 4:23 PM
I'd have more of a problem with the winner being determined by a public vote, and would much prefer a panel to decide such things.

Didn't Ronnie O'Brien win Time Magazine's Person of the Year?

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2015, 4:30 PM
He was leading a public poll for a while before Time removed him as joke candidates aren't allowed.

The Fly
12/01/2015, 5:50 PM
Rodriguez got it.

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2015, 5:51 PM
It hasn't been announced yet?

DannyInvincible
12/01/2015, 5:51 PM
James Rodriguez wins it. Great goal, but I thought it was the least impressive of the three in the sense it was fairly usual and conventional.

Spudulika
12/01/2015, 6:05 PM
WOrse than the least worthy goal winning, the cheating tramp henry presents the main prize. John Delaney has a lot to answer for :-)

The Fly
12/01/2015, 6:13 PM
James Rodriguez wins it. Great goal, but I thought it was the least impressive of the three in the sense it was fairly usual and conventional.

The stage for each goal is also a significant factor. The opposition coupled with 'the one man and his dog' element to Roche's goal diminishes it in relation to the others.

DannyInvincible
12/01/2015, 6:24 PM
I personally hear what you're saying, although the stage isn't supposed to come into it, according to the Rules of Allocation (http://foot.ie/threads/197047-Vote-for-Stephanie-Roche-until-the-12th?p=1800030&viewfull=1#post1800030).

The Fly
12/01/2015, 8:19 PM
I personally hear what you're saying, although the stage isn't supposed to come into it, according to the Rules of Allocation (http://foot.ie/threads/197047-Vote-for-Stephanie-Roche-until-the-12th?p=1800030&viewfull=1#post1800030).

I'd say the reality is somewhat different though.

Stuttgart88
12/01/2015, 8:40 PM
The fact that James represents a huge country and a global hispanic community probably decided what was, after all, a public vote. I thought his was the least impressive of the 3.

DeLorean
12/01/2015, 10:02 PM
I think Tim Cahill can consider himself very unlucky not to make the top three as well.

The Fly
12/01/2015, 11:48 PM

I saw this on twitter earlier specifying the criteria for the Puskas Award -
(I presume it relates to the initial shortlist)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7JlsJvCUAAi9eU.jpg:large

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2015, 11:51 PM
I saw this on twitter earlier specifying the criteria for the Puskas Award -
(I presume it relates to the initial shortlist)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7JlsJvCUAAi9eU.jpg:large
Those are the criteria for selection. The rules of allocation are what's relevant for the final decision, when it is assumed the importance of occasion, etc, has already been factored in.

The Fly
13/01/2015, 12:05 AM
Those are the criteria for selection. The rules of allocation are what's relevant for the final decision, when it is assumed the importance of occasion, etc, has already been factored in.

I understand that. However, leaving aside the nature of how the winner was determined, the circumstances in which a goal is scored will always play a significant part in how it's perceived imo. In other words, a bigger occasion will always add to a goal's greatness.

DannyInvincible
13/01/2015, 1:31 AM
Those above criteria were applicable for selecting the best goal when the award was first introduced in 2009/10: http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/news/y=2009/m=10/news=fifa-introduces-new-fifa-puskas-award-honour-the-goal-the-year-1120531.html

They're not relevant to this year's competition and feature in no official documentation, but merely on Wikipedia (and repeated on social media).

osarusan
13/01/2015, 2:06 AM
Not much point having all these rules when it's a public vote and there is no control of criteria. iI'd love to see a breakdown of the ip addresses for the votes and what vote was cast.

A panel of experts would maybe do a better job of choosing on merit, but even that would be a nightmare, and probably capture public attention less.

I voted for Kasami's goal originally, on merit (in my subjective opinion).

The Fly
13/01/2015, 2:39 AM
Those above criteria were applicable for selecting the best goal when the award was first introduced in 2009/10: http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/news/y=2009/m=10/news=fifa-introduces-new-fifa-puskas-award-honour-the-goal-the-year-1120531.html

They're not relevant to this year's competition and feature in no official documentation, but merely on Wikipedia (and repeated on social media).

I was just going to edit my post after finding that out, but you've kinda done that for me.

They may not be relevant to this year's competition but I think the significance of the occasion and level of competition play an instinctive role in the appreciation of a goal. I will admit to a certain bias against Stephanie Roche's because of this, despite the obvious skill and technique involved.

Anyway, as Osarusan states above, these rules were made redundant by having a public vote to determine the winner.

Charlie Darwin
13/01/2015, 2:47 AM
I think the public vote is to generate publicity and publicity alone. And it works. I don't think it necessarily has any less validity than the Ballon d'Or poll, though.

pineapple stu
13/01/2015, 7:02 AM
iI'd love to see a breakdown of the ip addresses for the votes and what vote was cast.
That was published after the first round of voting. Colombia had the most visitors; I think we were third.

Beaten at our own game I guess

peadar1987
13/01/2015, 7:40 AM
I'd say it was a toss-up between Roche's and Rodriguez's goals for which one is the best. Rodriguez is in acres of space and has time to pick a spot, which he does excellently. Roche has to take on a defender, beats them perfectly, then finishes. The defender being there probably shades it for Roche.

I don't think van Persie's goal is anything special. He doesn't need to go into a swan dive after heading the ball. If he'd flicked it over the keeper, then landed on his feet, like he would have easily been able to do, we wouldn't even be talking about it as a goal of the season contender.

Stuttgart88
13/01/2015, 9:50 AM
I thought RVP's goal was amazing. There was only one way he was able to beat the keeper. He met it perfectly while also cushion-heading it to make sure the pace was taken off the ball so it'd drop in over the keeper. Class.

back of the net
13/01/2015, 12:55 PM
I thought RVP's goal was amazing. There was only one way he was able to beat the keeper. He met it perfectly while also cushion-heading it to make sure the pace was taken off the ball so it'd drop in over the keeper. Class.

I am off the same opinion ....absolute piece of genius by RVP

I agree with Roche's in Second.....but Rodriguez should have gotten third with RVP first imo.

OwlsFan
13/01/2015, 3:18 PM

Stephanie looking well among the big boys.

DannyInvincible
14/01/2015, 12:59 AM
'Irish Media Go Back To Ignoring Women’s Football': http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/01/13/irish-media-go-back-to-ignoring-womens-football/

THE vast majority of the Irish media has confirmed that as of midday today their infectious enthusiasm for all things Stephanie Roche will dramatically subside and return to its pre-Pukas award for best goal levels. This in turn will mean an almost 100% drop in the coverage of women’s football in media outlets.

Despite many online and print publications getting behind Irish international Stephanie Roche as her stunning strike against Wexford Youths catapulted her onto football’s biggest stage, they have now reiterated their lack of interest in the women’s game.

“Ah c’mon what do you want from us? You can’t expect to actually go to a match, really? We got behind the campaign in that really insulting way we always do, at the last minute just to sell papers. You can’t say we didn’t try,” confirmed an unnamed journalist.

“We even published a photo of her in her dress there and said ‘doesn’t she look lovely’. If that isn’t covering women’s sport, I don’t know what is,” the journalist added.

DannyInvincible
14/01/2015, 1:25 AM
Crooked, no doubt, but, sometimes, I'm truly relieved we have the FAI running our football. The IFA, on the other hand: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30806958

Northern Ireland's captain and coach did not get a vote in the Ballon d'Or poll, as the Irish Football Association (IFA) did not send the ballots on time.

The blunder meant the choices of Southampton midfielder Steven Davis and Michael O'Neill were not counted.

The pair were the only Uefa representatives not to have a say in the contest to decide the world's best player.

"The original documents were not received on time," the IFA admitted.

Fifa confirmed that it sent out a reminder email before the closure of the ballot.

On the ball, as ever...

Spudulika
14/01/2015, 6:44 AM
If we roll back to 1988, 3 of the goals in the Euro Championships were goals of the year, and would roll past all but Roche's effort. Ray Houghton, heading a lump of concrete precisely to the far top corner. Van Basten's bullet from an impossible angle and Ronnie Whelan's shinner banana kick. On ahead to Gascoigne in 1996 against Scotland, and it tops the 3 efforts from this year.

Rodriguez was a simple enough effort (though well struck), Roche had to win, move and direct the ball against herself. Van Persie was good, but it's a simple keeper lob with everything going his way.

Liked the Lego recreations!

DeLorean
14/01/2015, 9:32 AM
Rodriguez goal really isn't getting enough credit all of a sudden, despite winning. It was far from a simple effort, by any standards. The fact that he received it with his back to goal made it way above the normal for a goal of that type I think. Usually those kind of goals are scored as a result of a header clear from a defender, so the attacker controls it facing the goal. To even take it on was incredible, and only a player as high on confidence as he was (as well as technical ability obviously) would even attempt it. He made the chest control look simple, but he bounces the ball up enough to allow himself just enough time to get turned to take the strike on. It was still incredibly difficult to get such a good connection after that and keep it down, but he almost cuts across the ball to generate the power and swerve. I love the way he was in so much control of what he was doing, as emphasised by replays 2-4 below.

I'm not saying it deserved to win but I'd be very slow to knock it, it's well up there. I thought Tim Cahill's goal against Netherlands couldn't be beaten as the best World Cup goal at the time, but Rodriguez's effort definitely made me think twice. I would have had no issue with that Kasami goal winning either, unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBGp1KZ5yc

DeLorean
14/01/2015, 9:36 AM
On ahead to Gascoigne in 1996 against Scotland, and it tops the 3 efforts from this year.

I hadn't see that Gascoigne goal in years, had totally forgotten that Gary McAllister missed a penalty to make it 1-1 just before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OlfG1dF3w

peadar1987
14/01/2015, 11:42 AM
I had totally forgotten just how '90s everything in the '90s actually was

Spudulika
14/01/2015, 1:21 PM
That Gascoigne was in the throes of alcoholism (dentists chair) and barely workable, he attacked the ball at pace, controlled it and buried it. He truly was a magnificent talent who just couldn't stay the course.

The Fly
14/01/2015, 1:54 PM

Seconded. I would rank it as one of the most memorable goals I've seen, and thee best headed goal.

DeLorean
14/01/2015, 2:00 PM
Seconded. I would rank it as the best headed goal I've seen.

Gary Neville said this is his favourite Manchester United goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffzyRxSk33U

The Fly
14/01/2015, 2:11 PM
Gary Neville said this is his favourite Manchester United goal.

A great goal and I remember it well, but it's strength, power and determination that are the major elements at play there. With Van Persie's, the skill and technique involved to achieve what Stutts described is something I haven't seen in another headed goal. (Or at least, I can't think of any)