PDA

View Full Version : youngsters

pedro
18/11/2004, 9:45 AM
does any1 know of any young players capable of winnig caps to keep an eye out for, along the lines of leon best and the likes.

redgav
18/11/2004, 9:48 AM
keep an eye on darren potter -plays with liverpool ,
He WILL get capped in the next year or two.Plays in central midfield , very similar in style to Ronnie whelan

colster
18/11/2004, 9:51 AM
keep an eye on darren potter -plays with liverpool ,
He WILL get capped in the next year or two.Plays in central midfield , very similar in style to Ronnie whelan

If he turns out to be as good as Ronnie we'll be laughing

Duffer
18/11/2004, 10:01 AM
Stephen Kelly - Spurs

Plastic Paddy
18/11/2004, 10:20 AM
Anthony Stokes - Arsenal

:) PP

concanta
18/11/2004, 10:28 AM
Is it just me or are does tehre seem to be lots of these promising youngsters coming through. I know they all won't make the top level but even if we get 20% of them through then we have a very bright future to look forward to

ken foree
18/11/2004, 11:08 AM
mark yeates from spurs maybe? seems like a robust barrelling center-midfielder. would like to see more young ball players emerge in that area of the pitch for ireland

Irish_Praha
18/11/2004, 11:34 AM
All of the above plus:

Alan O'Brien-Newcastle- age 19- LMF
Stephen Brennan - Newcastle - 19
Paul McShane - ManUre - 19 - defender
Cregg - 18 - Arsenal - MF
Andy Keogh - 18 - Leeds - Striker
Alan Dunne - 22 - Milwall - RB
Joey O'Brien - 18 - Bolton - MF

Of course there's Flood, Whelan and Stack too.

Donal81
18/11/2004, 11:53 AM
I was thinking about this last night. I think McCarthy was unfortunate in that he never had such potential at his disposal. He had one or two but Kerr's generation is definitely coming through. It won't exactly be a golden age but the players are definitely there to fill in the gaps when they appear.

Plastic Paddy
18/11/2004, 11:59 AM
It won't exactly be a golden age but the players are definitely there to fill in the gaps when they appear.

Well, we don't yet know that. It's grand to be looking ahead with such optimism though.

:D PP

Slash/ED
18/11/2004, 11:59 AM
Flood is the most obvious one alright.

redgav
18/11/2004, 12:51 PM
chris Mcgrath isn't a bad centre half either -looks like his da and plays as hard as him also - left go by Liverpool last season tho ,

finlma
18/11/2004, 7:07 PM
I was thinking about this last night. I think McCarthy was unfortunate in that he never had such potential at his disposal. He had one or two but Kerr's generation is definitely coming through. It won't exactly be a golden age but the players are definitely there to fill in the gaps when they appear.

Ireland were unforunate that McCarthy was manager. There were plenty of youngsters around when McCarthy was there but he stuck with what he thought was best (like his babysitter Mark Kennedy :D ).
I'm not trying to start a McCarthy debate.

Don Vito
18/11/2004, 7:11 PM
Anyone know what Anthony Stokes' progress is at Highbury? Havent heard a dickie bird about him since he scored a few underage goals there a while back.

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 8:03 PM
3 goals in his last 4 games for the reserves. Still only 16.

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 8:15 PM
Just a thought occured. I often read the club reserve and lower league reports to see how our (younger) players are getting on. How about I put up a list of players and we could split them between a few of us and we could keep everyone updated on their progress? I'll do whatevers needed which basically is name the players and the site you'll find their reports on. Whoevers interested put your name down and I'll draw the players between us. Name the club you support, if any, aswell.

Anyway, I support Celtic so I could keep you updated on the lads there aswell as whoever I'm drawn with. If there's enough interest i'll open a new thread.

finlma
18/11/2004, 8:41 PM
You can chalk me down eirebhoy....I'll do it till I'm back on the road in March. I can pretend to be working when I'm really researching young Irish footballers.
I'm a Leeds supporter for my troubles so I can keep an eye there. Can you provide me with a list of players.

JoeSemi
18/11/2004, 8:57 PM
John Paul Kelly(otherwise known as Joxer) is being touted as a star for the future. Been doing it in Liverpool's 17s and 19s sides of late and Heighway sees him as one of the club's best prospects. Here's hopin...........

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 9:09 PM
John Paul Kelly(otherwise known as Joxer) is being touted as a star for the future. Been doing it in Liverpool's 17s and 19s sides of late and Heighway sees him as one of the club's best prospects. Here's hopin...........
He left Liverpool last month because he was homesick. Wants to join an Eircom league club AFAIK.

Slash/ED
18/11/2004, 9:10 PM
AFAIK, John Paul Kelly was recently seen on trial with Bohs, so I think his Liverpool career may be over. Wasn't physical enough for the premiership apparently, he's only something like 5''6

Dillo
18/11/2004, 9:12 PM
I know yer down to the bones with Cisse out and todays awful news about Milan but sure if ye could bring in young JP Kelly alongside Neil Mellor that would terrify most premiership defences!! :p
It's looking ever more like a blue victory in Anfield in a few weeks time. Here's hoping.......

JoeSemi
18/11/2004, 9:31 PM
Thats a pity if its true. They were raving about him in u-17 and u-19 match reports up to recently. Liverpool's loss is Boh's gain then if thats where he ends up. We can more or less rule him out as a future full international then I suppose!! :(

JoeSemi
18/11/2004, 9:40 PM
I know yer down to the bones with Cisse out and todays awful news about Milan but sure if ye could bring in young JP Kelly alongside Neil Mellor that would terrify most premiership defences!! :p
It's looking ever more like a blue victory in Anfield in a few weeks time. Here's hoping.......

Its at your dilapidated place Dillo.....All the better to beat you again!
Start saving for your payment now :cool:

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 10:30 PM
AFAIK, John Paul Kelly was recently seen on trial with Bohs, so I think his Liverpool career may be over. Wasn't physical enough for the premiership apparently, he's only something like 5''6
You were probably typing the same time as me but Joxer left (as in resigned) Liverpool by his own admission because of homesickness. He would have made the grade IMO.

Irish_Praha
19/11/2004, 9:18 AM
He was homesick? He's probably not from Dublin then. How could anyone ever miss that sh!tehole? :D ;)

Irish_Praha
19/11/2004, 9:28 AM
BTW EB I can keep an eye on the Forest youngsters for us. At one stage there was 6 young Irish fellas there. Now it looks like Thompson and Roache will be the only 2 Irish there if Reid is sold in January. Cash, Foy and Kearney have all left in recent years. I'll have a quick look at their website now to see if there are any new Irish guys in their academy.

tetsujin1979
19/11/2004, 9:49 AM
For my - multiple - sins I'm a Man City fan, there's a few Irish lads in the youth set up, I think there's an agreement with Cherry Orchard, but I'm not sure of the details. Anyway, off the top of my head:

Paddy McCarthy
Karl Bermingham - striker, just made the step up to the reserves, knocked in a few already
Stephen Ireland - Central midfielder from Cork. Stop me if you've heard this before

Willo Flood's just made the step up to the senior team.

Over the last season or so the following have left:
Paul Murphy (GK) - Swansea
Glen Whlean (CMF) - Sheffied Wednesday
Stephen Elliott - Sunderland

Any reports I get from the reserves or academy sides I'll post the relevant details

Slash/ED
19/11/2004, 10:44 AM
You were probably typing the same time as me but Joxer left (as in resigned) Liverpool by his own admission because of homesickness. He would have made the grade IMO.

Yeah I didn't see your message until mine was posted. Suppose that's good news for Bohs then.

drinkfeckarse
19/11/2004, 12:13 PM
Stephen Ireland - Central midfielder from Cork. Stop me if you've heard this before

I know his Dad well but I haven't seen him in a while whenever I've been back home so I haven't had an update, what are his prospects like and how well has he progressed in the last few years, do you know?

He was always kicking a football about in Cobh and looked as if he'd skill to burn from a very young age.

tetsujin1979
19/11/2004, 12:42 PM
I know his Dad well but I haven't seen him in a while whenever I've been back home so I haven't had an update, what are his prospects like and how well has he progressed in the last few years, do you know?

He was always kicking a football about in Cobh and looked as if he'd skill to burn from a very young age.

He signed a new deal recently to keep him at the club until 2007 (I think), playing regularly for the reserves, despite only being 18. You can read more about the contract here (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/article.asp?article=236058&Title=New+deals+for+Academy+players). There's 5 players offered contracts, details on Stephen about halfway down

drinkfeckarse
19/11/2004, 12:57 PM
He signed a new deal recently to keep him at the club until 2007 (I think), playing regularly for the reserves, despite only being 18. You can read more about the contract here (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/article.asp?article=236058&Title=New+deals+for+Academy+players). There's 5 players offered contracts, details on Stephen about halfway down

Thanks for that. I looked at a few reserve match reports and he seems to be doing well. Hopefully he makes the breakthrough.

Crambler
19/11/2004, 1:20 PM
if my memory serves me right,when brian kerr was looking after under age teams,at a tourament held in cork steven ireland had a bust up with him.i think steven pulled out of the squard and returned tn manchester before the
end.think there is still bad blood between them.

tetsujin1979
19/11/2004, 1:22 PM
if my memory serves me right,when brian kerr was looking after under age teams,at a tourament held in cork steven ireland had a bust up with him.i think steven pulled out of the squard and returned tn manchester before the
end.think there is still bad blood between them.

You're right, I found this when I was trying to dig up the link for the contracts - report (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Republic%20of%20Ireland&id=8314&viewstory=yes)

skbio_toronto
19/11/2004, 6:58 PM

As a lead on to what you've said, it should make more of us feel (a wee bit) more appreciative of what McCarthy 'achieved' during his tenure with us.

I'm not talking Roy Keane-esque achievments, of course. But the style of football changed utterly under McCarthy's rein - and in my opinion a change for the better.

Could have been so easy for us to go ther same way as the North and the Scots. McCarthy supervised a team that remained a 2nd tier European football nation. And now there is sufficient talent to suggest there may even be loftier goals ahead.

Greece won the Euro's for feck sake!!

SKBIO-TOR

thejollyrodger
19/11/2004, 7:25 PM
Kerr is a good, possibly great manager but thats a good point made about Mc Carthy that was forgotten. After Jack Charlton we had no real team. It was all long ball and the midfield did nothing. Mc Carthy kept the evolution going and starting to play a lot better on the ground soccer.

There are players coming through now but the technical plan HAS to be implemented.

livehead1
19/11/2004, 10:38 PM
i read somewhere the other week about darren potter. it rougly went along the lines of him thanking the rules of football which allowed him to play for ireland even though "he isnt irish and is english". the direction of the article seemed to be him saying that if england come calling, off he goes. lets hope not tho.

eirebhoy
20/11/2004, 12:17 PM
i read somewhere the other week about darren potter. it rougly went along the lines of him thanking the rules of football which allowed him to play for ireland even though "he isnt irish and is english". the direction of the article seemed to be him saying that if england come calling, off he goes. lets hope not tho.
Yeah, Potter regards himself as English but I don't mind as long as they declare at an early age.

"I think they realised that I had Irish grandparents and seeing as nothing had happened with England they approached me. As soon as the opportunity came along I just took it. "It's a decision I've never regretted, in fact it's one of the best decisions I have made. I've made two appearances now for the under-21s and hopefully I can add to that."

Donal81
20/11/2004, 12:40 PM
As a lead on to what you've said, it should make more of us feel (a wee bit) more appreciative of what McCarthy 'achieved' during his tenure with us.

I'm not talking Roy Keane-esque achievments, of course. But the style of football changed utterly under McCarthy's rein - and in my opinion a change for the better.

Could have been so easy for us to go ther same way as the North and the Scots. McCarthy supervised a team that remained a 2nd tier European football nation. And now there is sufficient talent to suggest there may even be loftier goals ahead.
SKBIO-TOR

Like any leader, he lost his relevance. He made the break with the Charlton era which, wonderful as much of it was, had to be left behind. He brought in replacements for the old guard, some of whom were rubbish.

He achieved a strange feat of playing dodgy players in dodgy positions and getting good results, it was as if he relished the challenge of it. Why on earth he didn't just play his best players in their best positions is beyond me. His patronage of players like Harte, Breen and Kilbane was infuriating at times but none more so than his insistence on playing Duff upfront to facilitate Kilbane. I remember waiting in traffic to get to Lansdowne for his last match against the Swiss. We assumed that after the terrible display against Russia and considering the World Cup and the qualifiers when neither Kilbane or Harte were up to it, he'd make some changes. Nope. We couldn't believe it when the lineup was read out on the radio. Result? No attack whatsoever and a muck display. That's when I knew that this guy had lost his managerial marbles.

I suppose his best legacy will be the team spirit that he kept going. His decisions were questionable but I think that man would have done anything for the team and that came across in the never say die/backs against the wall attitude. A shame that this was often his only tactic.

Irish_Praha
21/11/2004, 1:53 PM
A few I forgot (really scraping the barrel here) :)

Healy is an 18 yr old striker at Milwall and has been banging them in in for reserve team .... he has an Irish dad but was born in Ingerland and hasn't played for any of our underage teams yet.

Liam Lawrence is an attacking midfielder who's 22 or 23, has scored about 5 goals for Sunderland so far this year. Has Irish connections but hasn't declared for us yet. There's a lot about him on a previous thread here.
He set up Elliott's goal today.

Aidan Collins. Just noticed his name on the team sheet, as a sub, for Ipswich today. Had a look at the Ipswich site and it says he was born in Clemsford :cool: but with a name like that he must have some Irish connections. He's a CB, 18 yrs old and is 6ft2.

dynamo kerry
21/11/2004, 7:37 PM
what ever happemd with that tierney lad who was at utd and touted so highly?

KR's Post
22/11/2004, 12:08 PM
Still there i think, just can't break through.
Kevin O'Connor plays with Wolves has a bright future. Brilliant midfielder who will cover every blade of grass on the pitch. Brother of West Brom player James(on loan at Burnley) and Drogheda united defender Daniel.... :cool:

tetsujin1979
23/11/2004, 10:57 AM
Stephen Ireland played for the Man City reserves last night against Bolton's reserves, including Joey O'Brien in midfield.

Karl Bermingham came with about 20 minutes to go, but doesn't get a mention in the review

mcfc.co.uk describes him as the star of the game, read the review here (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/article.asp?article=239566&Title=Points+shared+for+reserves)

bolton's match review describes Joey as their performer in the same game here (http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1004~592623,00.html?ptvParm=)