Cowboy
17/11/2004, 6:09 PM
looks like a result now :(

DolansWaistcoat
17/11/2004, 7:00 PM
Balls,thats a real pity that cyprus didn't hold on. :(

Fergie's Son
17/11/2004, 7:16 PM
Israel are definitely in play in this group. I think we should be happy to get a draw in Tel-Aviv and then beat them at home. Obviously a win there would be huge but they might be tricky to beat away.

DolansWaistcoat
17/11/2004, 7:19 PM
A win there would be unbelievable imo and besides the french game will be Irelands biggest game in the group.

Everyone thought the French were the ones to watch but it looks like the Isralies will be fighting for top spot aswell.

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 7:22 AM
A win there would be unbelievable imo and besides the french game will be Irelands biggest game in the group.
Israel away would probably be twice as tough as France at home baring in mind they haven't lost in Israel since 99 and we haven't beaten a decent team away since 1987.

Littlest Hobo
18/11/2004, 7:41 AM
Watched the goals from last nights games on eurosport. Looks like israel were lucky. Cyprus missed a peno and conceeded a goal in the last five minutes.

March's game may decide our ultimate faith in the group, win and were 2 up on the French/Swiss, and providing they don't beat each other, at minimum a couple of draws in dublin, will see us win the group.

thejollyrodger
18/11/2004, 10:47 AM
unlucky that Cyprus didnt get a draw. Israelis probably think they are brasil now :rolleyes:

2005 is really going to show what this Ireland team is made of. I think we can beat Israel home and away and beat faroes away.

The match in Teli Avis is going to be tough but we can still beat them. Still a draw out there would still do, although if we got a draw and France won there I would be ****ed.

The only real thing Im worried about with Ireland is that were just not scoring enough goals. We have Elliot now who looks capable but I just hope we dont have misses like Duff's the other night that will cost us.

Littlest Hobo
18/11/2004, 3:25 PM
unlucky that Cyprus didnt get a draw. Israelis probably think they are brasil now :rolleyes:

2005 is really going to show what this Ireland team is made of. I think we can beat Israel home and away and beat faroes away.

The match in Teli Avis is going to be tough but we can still beat them. Still a draw out there would still do, although if we got a draw and France won there I would be ****ed.

The only real thing Im worried about with Ireland is that were just not scoring enough goals. We have Elliot now who looks capable but I just hope we dont have misses like Duff's the other night that will cost us.

Agreed, the israelies will be thinkin they can take the 3 points. Have you seen their squad of players.....alot play at crap clubs. On paper, were miles ahead.

Israel coach Avraham Grant named the following 22-man squad on Monday for his side's World Cup European zone Group Four qualifier against Cyprus in Nicosia on November 17:
Goalkeepers: Nir Davidovich (Maccabi Haifa), Shavit Elimelech (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Dudu Awate (Racing Santander, Spain)
Defenders: Avi Strool (Maccabi Tel Aviv), Klimi Saban (Hapoel Petah Tikva), Shimon Gershon (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Arik Benado (Maccabi Haifa), Adoram Keisi (Hapoel Petah Tikva), Ori Uzan (Maccabi Haifa), Tal Ben-Haim (Bolton Wanderers, England), Abed Rabah (Bnei Sakhnin)
Midfielders: Yossi Shivkhon (Hapoel Petah Tikva), Avi Nimni (Betar Jerusalem), Abbas Suan (Bnei Sakhnin), Walid Badir (Maccabi Haifa), David Revivo (Ashdod SC), Ophir Azu (Betar Jerusalem), Yossi Benayoun (Racing Santander, Spain)
Forwards: Yaniv Katan (Maccabi Haifa), Pini Balili (Kayserispor, Turkey), Omer Golan (Maccabi Petah Tikva), Omri Afek (Salamanca, Spain).

As for the misses...I can see us hitting the post and scoffing sitters all night.
We'll have all the possession and most of the chances...and will probably only just knick it. You've gotta have faith in the quality of our players to pull it off.

Adrianovic
18/11/2004, 4:18 PM
Agreed, the israelies will be thinkin they can take the 3 points. Have you seen their squad of players.....alot play at crap clubs. On paper, were miles ahead.

By the same token, how many big nations have thought that about Ireland over the years?

I agree with the sentiment its a huge game for us, such a shame Cyprus couldn't do us a favour, I fancy a quick 1-0 robbery in Tel Aviv.

Ade

eirebhoy
18/11/2004, 4:44 PM
You've gotta have faith in the quality of our players to pull it off.
It has been shown time and time again that quality of players usually doesn't make a difference in the UEFA middle eastern countries.

BTW, Berkovic can't even make the squad so they must have a few decent players.

Closed Account 2
18/11/2004, 8:04 PM

Israel coach Avraham Grant named the following 22-man squad on Monday for his side's World Cup European zone Group Four qualifier against Cyprus in Nicosia on November 17:
Goalkeepers: Nir Davidovich (Maccabi Haifa), Shavit Elimelech (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Dudu Awate (Racing Santander, Spain)
Defenders: Avi Strool (Maccabi Tel Aviv), Klimi Saban (Hapoel Petah Tikva), Shimon Gershon (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Arik Benado (Maccabi Haifa), Adoram Keisi (Hapoel Petah Tikva), Ori Uzan (Maccabi Haifa), Tal Ben-Haim (Bolton Wanderers, England), Abed Rabah (Bnei Sakhnin)
Midfielders: Yossi Shivkhon (Hapoel Petah Tikva), Avi Nimni (Betar Jerusalem), Abbas Suan (Bnei Sakhnin), Walid Badir (Maccabi Haifa), David Revivo (Ashdod SC), Ophir Azu (Betar Jerusalem), Yossi Benayoun (Racing Santander, Spain)
Forwards: Yaniv Katan (Maccabi Haifa), Pini Balili (Kayserispor, Turkey), Omer Golan (Maccabi Petah Tikva), Omri Afek (Salamanca, Spain).

As for the misses...I can see us hitting the post and scoffing sitters all night.
We'll have all the possession and most of the chances...and will probably only just knick it. You've gotta have faith in the quality of our players to pull it off.

Benayoun's the danger man, he's a pretty decent striker... if Davidovich is the goalie who played for Maccabi in Amsterdam in the Champions League we're in for a real treat, as he was a right joker... shades of the Turkish lad (one who looked like VerĂ³n) the other year. That night the other month the Maccabi keeper flapped at everything, couldnt catch any crosses or stop many shots, it was like watching Stallone in goal in that escape to victory film! If we play like we did in Paris this year we should win, if we play like we did in Basle or at home to the Faroes we could get beat... we've the quality, the result is up to us.

Littlest Hobo
19/11/2004, 7:52 AM
Found this piece on yer man, from an Israeli paper.
He put two past the swiss and scored at home againast cyprus

Bolton, Liverpool showing interest in Benayoun

By Ouriel Daskal and Asher Goldberg

English Premier League club Bolton Wanderers wants Yossi Benayoun, according to a report in the Daily Mirror yesterday.

Bolton coach Sam Alardyce is said to be keeping tabs on the Israeli midfielder, who currently is with the Spanish club Racing Santander, and would like to sign him in January for a transfer fee of 1.5 million pounds.

Alardyce sent a scout to watch him during Wednesday's night World Cup qualifier between Israel and Cyprus.

Meanwhile, a source close to Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez said he is in the market for attacking players due to the club's injury woes, and is trying to sign Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes in January. If the Morientes deal falls through, the source said, Benitez will try to sign the less-expensive Benayoun.

A Liverpool representative apparently watched Benayoun in Cyprus on Wednesday night too.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry confirmed yesterday that the club was interested in Benayoun.

Benayoun was hesitant yesterday to discuss the possibility of a move to one of the big European clubs.

"I have another three years on my contract with Santander," he said. "And for now, I'm there. I hear all sorts of talk about teams that want me, but until something is finalized, I am doing everything with love at Santander. From my point of view, it's an excellent club, very big, and it's fun for me to be there."

Benayoun's agent, Ronen Katsav, said yesterday he knew nothing of the reports in the English press regarding Bolton's interest in the player.

Littlest Hobo
19/11/2004, 8:08 AM
It has been shown time and time again that quality of players usually doesn't make a difference in the UEFA middle eastern countries.

BTW, Berkovic can't even make the squad so they must have a few decent players.

Also found this piece from the same paper. The journo gives his reaseon why berko doesn't get a game.

The Last Word / An Israeli-style model

By Ronen Dorfan

At the end of every international tournament, Avraham Grant has the habit of adding the word, "model," to the name of the surprising team of the moment. Thus, we saw the birth of the South Korean model, the Turkish model and, most recently, the Greek model.

But after a string of World Cup qualifying matches under Grant and Maccabi Tel Aviv's Champions League debut under Nir Klinger, we can proclaim the birth of an Israeli model, which brought victory yesterday.

The principles of the Israeli model are clear - dealing with the fitness issue by crowding the back of the field with players, no attempt at an organized attack, and certainly no place for players like Eyal Berkovic, who might cause his teammates to fall into offensive delusions.

The proof of the pudding will of course be in Israel's results; but the results won't lead to a ticket to the playoffs. Switzerland has already taken a point at Ramat Gan, and Ireland and France won't finish behind Israel. The result will be a continued decline in interest in Israeli soccer, a total failure in grooming new young players, and a dwindling number of Israeli players on the continent.

An away game a half an hour's flight away provides a useful insight into the national team's standing. Once, thousands of fans traveled to Cyprus to watch Israel, Maccabi Haifa and Hapoel Tel Aviv. Yesterday, only a few hundred were on hand to watch it win the battle for a puddle.

wallis
19/11/2004, 9:52 AM
It should be noted that the Cyprus team are notorious gamblers and only play when they want to. A lot of the team own bookmakers or have relatives that do and very often bet for/against themselves.

I was informed before the Cyprus / Faroes game that some of the Cypriot team bet against themselves winning (finished 2-2). Before the Israel game the rumour was that the Cypriots were going all out to win and had a few quid on themselves hence the decent performance.

I would say that if the Israelis got lucky to beat them 2-1 when the Cypriots were actually trying , we shouldnt have many problems beating them home and away.

Stuttgart88
19/11/2004, 11:43 AM
If they're notorious gamblers, hopefully Paddy Power will offer very generous odds on an Ireland win.

livehead1
19/11/2004, 1:20 PM
israel will not be a problem to beat. i dont recall the last time they qualified for anything. our side has some class players. btw, berkovic aint in the squad as he was critical of the coach who hasnt picked him as "age isnt on his side" i think hes about 32? they have a young and inexperienced side. there draw against france was due to an awful french performance and to be honest a 2-1 win against cyprus doesn't really leave me fearing an onslaught!lol

thejollyrodger
19/11/2004, 1:41 PM
France drew yet ANOTHER home match against Poland. I dont rate the French now and sincerlly belive we will beat them in 2005.

Israel wont be a push over but I think Kerr will be well prepared and Im confident that we can beat them by a goal in Tel aviv.

I just hope robbie and Clinton are on form and not injured. We have plenty of other options around the pitch to cover any potential injuries.

eirebhoy
19/11/2004, 3:29 PM
israel will not be a problem to beat. i dont recall the last time they qualified for anything. our side has some class players
I'm sure Switzerland, Spain, Russia, Yugoslavia, Argentina and Poland have said that travelling to Tel Aviv in recent years. I'm also pretty sure Austria weren't expecting to get beaten 5-0 and Turkey felt they were good enough to avoid get a 4-0 Pasting. It never unfolded for any of those teams. Only 2 teams have beaten Israel in Tel Aviv in 24 matches since 1999 and they were both Scandinavian.

Its posts like the above that make me happy to see Israel beating Cyprus. If they failed to beat them the fans and media would be putting so much pressure on the players to beat them just like they did after Switzerland's supposedly poor European Championships.

skbio_toronto
19/11/2004, 6:53 PM
For the sake of repeating myself and many others on this messageboard. Ireland have not beaten a decent international side in a qualifying match since the Scots in '87. Personally (not that I've an indepth knowledge) I would rate Israel a decent side.

Their club sides have been making relative progress in European cup competitons. The national side have been making gradual improvements with the 0-0 in ther Stade de France the highlight of their achievements thus far. When the chips are down their record is mediocre. Seem to remember Yougoslavia beating therm by a cricket score in the Euro 2000 playoffs. (Someone correct me about team and comp., not sure)

Anyhow back to topic, I reckon Ireland would be reasonably happy with 4 points from Israel in the 2 matches. 2 points would be a welcome bonus.

History does'nt lie!

SKBIO-TOR

jbyrne
19/11/2004, 9:59 PM
For the sake of repeating myself and many others on this messageboard. Ireland have not beaten a decent international side in a qualifying match since the Scots in '87.

History does'nt lie!

SKBIO-TOR

yes, but we'll have to beat a decent side away from home again someday though and under the present management and with the current set of players i reckon we will do it sooner rather than later. i reckon israel away could be the one we do it in. agreed, their club sides are improving but still think we are a far better side as the rankings will testify. if we can beat them away i reckon we'll qualify. its a massive game

livehead1
19/11/2004, 10:31 PM
i didnt say israel will not be a problem to beat away from home. i believe at lansdowne we will beat them and also away in tel aviv we can beat them. the irish side for these qualifiers is possibly the strongest squad in 20years....another debate here? we say the strength of israeli/palestinian football against newcastle? it is better to be confident going into this game than lacking confidence. ireland are full of confidence off the back of some great results and i feel this will continue....maybe im over-optimistic but when u have players in our side valued at millions of pounds, and earning 30,000 a week which a good few do, you have to be looking to beat sides like israel

KR's Post
26/11/2004, 4:16 PM
Israel away would probably be twice as tough as France at home baring in mind they haven't lost in Israel since 99 and we haven't beaten a decent team away since 1987.
Holland in 2004???? Robbies winner!!!!

eirebhoy
26/11/2004, 4:43 PM
Holland in 2004???? Robbies winner!!!!
Sorry, that should be in competitive fixtures (specifically qualifiers as they are the only competitive fixtures that actually have away games). :)