PDA

View Full Version : Great film .... the book was better though !!

A face
09/01/2002, 11:28 PM
http://www.lordoftherings.net

:D :D :D

Jim Smith
09/01/2002, 11:49 PM
...with you here :) I actually thought the film was better than the book (the only other time I thought this was Last of the Mohicans (sp?).

I wonder if my introduction to the world of fantasy fiction being through the Discworld series has anything to do with my opinion of the book LOTR which I found a bit dated and dry. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

A face
10/01/2002, 12:27 AM
I still cant wait for the other two films to come out though, if they are anything like the first one then we are in for some great viewing :D :D

If any one is going to read LOTR, then i suggest read The Hobbit first .... just to get the ball rolling.

Who here has read the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, i haven't ... just curious what people thought.

Jim Smith
10/01/2002, 8:10 AM
I thought that the books were great way better than the TV series - but I suppose the TV had a much more limited budget. Also the books are far weirder :) However, its been a long time since I read them so they might seem a bit dated and stale. I suppose that's the sign of truely great literature - it doesn't seem to age.

pete
10/01/2002, 11:40 AM
LOTR film was excellent & i've been recommending it to everyone i know while still in the cinema. Did read the Hobbit about 15 years ago but no memory of.

I'm sure youse who read the books thought the film even better?

joe
10/01/2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by A face

Who here has read the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, i haven't ... just curious what people thought.

would definitely recommend the hitchikers series, though it has been some time since i picked one of them up for a read

The Good Son
10/01/2002, 1:25 PM
Surely now is time for the re-release of that classic Half Man Half Buscuit song "Dickie Davis Eyes", of which the opening line is-
"Mention the Lord Of The Rings just once more and I'll more than likely kill you"

Schumi
10/01/2002, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by A face
If any one is going to read LOTR, then i suggest read The Hobbit first .... just to get the ball rolling.

I don't agree. I read the Lord Of The Rings about 10 years ago and when I heard about the film, I decided to buy the books and read them again. As an after-thought I read The Hobbit afterwards and found the writing style far more annoying than LOTR. If I'd read The Hobbit first, I don't think I would have read LOTR afterwards.