PDA

View Full Version : Report from the terraces

$Leon$
17/11/2004, 9:48 AM
Last night i decided to be brave and stand on the east terrace in lansdown (not quiet brave enough to venture on the the north terrace again, had a bad experience a few years ago at the norway friendly).
first of all i need to comment on the clientele present.in general they weren't as bad as i had previously experienced on the north terrace. generally well behaved but there were a few undesireables. close to where i was there was a gang (or possy as their probably known as in their hood) of about 30 youngsters. (14-16 years old, probably called anto chriso davo davey tommo steveo jimmo paulo tracy sharon jacinta natalie.....). the lads tried to act hard by throwing a roll of bus tickets on to the pitch. the young wans were well impressed. they tried to act sophisticated by talkin about robbie keanes leggs and smokin. they had no intrest in the match and were using the occasion as some form of junior disco.
other undesireables present were wearing BIG HATS which i believe should be banned from stadiums not just the terraces. they are an absolute nuscence and their sole purpose seems to be to irritate fans behind them and to look good in pictures in the star the next day. these hats make the entire match experience very unpleasent for those of us stuck behind them especially for the more vertically chalanged among us.
in summary, i won't be goin back on the terraces again. i'll be shellin out the extra few €'s and goin back to the stand. i did it for experimental purposes and proved my point the terraces are dangerous places to be and were banned for a reason. at least i can say i gathered my evidence first hand (unlike some people) and came to my own conclusion based on experimental evidence( unlike some people again)
thank you for reading and please feel free to post replys. maybe if there enough of us out there we can set up some form of support group

Don Vito
18/11/2004, 7:08 PM
Was on the East Terrace too Leon, didnt like it. The fans there just werent paying attention to the match. I even heard one Irish "fan"" go mad with the linesman when he ruled a Croat offside!! He hadnt even noticed that we had changed ends for the 2nd half!

Dillo
18/11/2004, 7:14 PM
:D Doesn't surprise me one bit!

Pat O' Banton
18/11/2004, 7:39 PM
Come to Ingerland, watch a match in silence at Old Trafford, Highbury or Anfield, then go to Germany and see the difference in stadiums and the atmosphere in grounds like the Westfallen or even smaller grounds like the Milentor where the noise and colour are absolutely superb and they have terracing. I remember going to Old Trafford and hearing the Strefford end in full cry about three quatres of an hour before kick off, you would get half that noise now in an entire ninety minutes.

All Seater stadiums means more of a family atmosphere :mad: which translates into less or no atmosphere.

Can you tell me why you found the terrece dangerous?

Beavis
19/11/2004, 11:12 AM
Last night i decided to be brave and stand on the east terrace in lansdown (not quiet brave enough to venture on the the north terrace again, had a bad experience a few years ago at the norway friendly).
first of all i need to comment on the clientele present.in general they weren't as bad as i had previously experienced on the north terrace. generally well behaved but there were a few undesireables. close to where i was there was a gang (or possy as their probably known as in their hood) of about 30 youngsters. (14-16 years old, probably called anto chriso davo davey tommo steveo jimmo paulo tracy sharon jacinta natalie.....). the lads tried to act hard by throwing a roll of bus tickets on to the pitch. the young wans were well impressed. they tried to act sophisticated by talkin about robbie keanes leggs and smokin. they had no intrest in the match and were using the occasion as some form of junior disco.
other undesireables present were wearing BIG HATS which i believe should be banned from stadiums not just the terraces. they are an absolute nuscence and their sole purpose seems to be to irritate fans behind them and to look good in pictures in the star the next day. these hats make the entire match experience very unpleasent for those of us stuck behind them especially for the more vertically chalanged among us.
in summary, i won't be goin back on the terraces again. i'll be shellin out the extra few €'s and goin back to the stand. i did it for experimental purposes and proved my point the terraces are dangerous places to be and were banned for a reason. at least i can say i gathered my evidence first hand (unlike some people) and came to my own conclusion based on experimental evidence( unlike some people again)
thank you for reading and please feel free to post replys. maybe if there enough of us out there we can set up some form of support group

Your taking the p!ss right?

Although I do agree about the young lads.I spent years as a kid on the schoolboy terrace and there all idiots,as a rule.

Terry Phelan
19/11/2004, 11:34 AM
the terraces are the best place to watch a match when your a kid,$leon$ probably didn't go to games when he was a wee nipper! i was only 7 when i went to my first Ireland game..da memories........bring a tear to your eye........ :ball:

JoeSemi
19/11/2004, 2:27 PM
Which eye is that Terence?!! :D

Dillo
19/11/2004, 9:17 PM
Probably Terence's Japs eye I'd say! :p

JoeSemi
19/11/2004, 9:41 PM
I was wonderin was it his left or right eye Dillo :cool: No need for those insinuations at all...