PDA

View Full Version : protest summary

exile
16/11/2004, 10:37 PM
people showed up we distributed the red cards and wait for it .............
the stewards confiscated any red cards that people were seen with going in to the ground when i asked a steward why he was doing it he told me that all he knew was the order had come from above to take them off anybody who was seen with them .
fair play to the lads from ucd longford bohs ccfc and of course robinski and onenil who organised it and anybody we missed

Bondvillain
17/11/2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah... had a ''Heated debate'' with some stewards in the upper east. One of them said he had been told to get the Guards if anyone attempted to distribute anything in the grounds. Had them all given out at that stage tho.

Special mention for elements in the UE for throwing them back at me & managing in one fell swoop to question my parentage, my intelligence & point out my resemblence to a certain part of the male anatotmy... Extended Delaney family maybe?
:confused:

Cowboy
17/11/2004, 3:07 AM
Am I mistaken or was the volume of the PA turned up to drown out the booing for Corcoran ?

carrickharp
17/11/2004, 7:18 AM
Couldn’t believe the level of stewarding at the match, so we pay our money in but we are not allowed to show our disapproval? It turns me against the FAI even more :mad:

Don’t know how it looked on the North Terrace but if was funny how the 3 photographers and the cameraman were waiting to take photos of the fans with red cards when Milo came out.

green army
17/11/2004, 8:03 AM
yea i thought they increased the volume of the PA which was disgraceful although i could still hear the boos from the west upper..i had a protest of me own by not buying a programme.

Ash
17/11/2004, 8:09 AM
We were frisked coming in to the North Terrace and saw a few
"heated" debates with stewards along the way. The message was
that they were just to make sure none of the red cards got into
the ground.

Volume was deffo turned up the minute the booing started for Milo.

thejollyrodger
17/11/2004, 8:16 AM
how scummy can the FAI get ?? Still, well done lads !!

thecorner
17/11/2004, 8:33 AM
they sure know how to make friends ;)

seagulls4ever
17/11/2004, 8:59 AM
i suppose thats the consequence of seeking all the publicity before the match really. at least they'll know the feelings of the fans, seeing as they were afraid of the protest. can't really blame them trying to stop it surely? yeah its a sh1tty thing to do, but if you were in their positions, you probably would've too. they know how we feel, thats what matters really.

did we get any coverage? tv/paper/anything?

Cowboy
17/11/2004, 9:37 AM
Yeah... had a ''Heated debate'' with some stewards in the upper east. One of them said he had been told to get the Guards if anyone attempted to distribute anything in the grounds. Had them all given out at that stage tho.

I wonder on what legal basis the guards would be called, what law was being broken?

tetsujin1979
17/11/2004, 9:37 AM
My mate had the cards he had for distribution taken off him, mine was safely zipped up in my pocket so I got it in. Standing next to one of the exits on the north terrace with it when Milo came out. One of the stewards asked me could he see it, but said he'd give it so I let him have it. He took a look at it and returned it, saying "you're fcuking right!"

wws
17/11/2004, 9:41 AM
dont let them away with it

get out to merrion square

let the bastids have it both barrels

i wouldnt go to one of their
"friendlies" if u paid me

scum

shankilwanderer
17/11/2004, 9:45 AM
Am I mistaken or was the volume of the PA turned up to drown out the booing for Corcoran ?

Yeah they did, you still managed to hear the boos on Sky.

$Leon$
17/11/2004, 9:59 AM
yea i thought they increased the volume of the PA which was disgraceful although i could still hear the boos from the west upper..i had a protest of me own by not buying a programme.

at €5 i don't blame u

barglee
17/11/2004, 10:14 AM
maybe the portugal match if everyone refused to buy a programme?

getting everyone to boycott the match would be very difficult but maybe hit them by not buying the programme

Aberdonian Stu
17/11/2004, 10:24 AM
Photo in the Star of the protest, inside back cover. Scanned The Indo, Times, and Sun and they hoad nothing. Fair play to everyone who was involved. I reckon we should look at this as a dry run and be more prepared the next time (perhaps pick certain points a few hundred metres away from the ground where we could hand them out).

PA thing was a disgrace.

Technically they could argue we were breaking litter laws, while the Green cards for games the FAI give out are ok if there's a licence (although given it's the FAI I doubt they'd fork out the 20 quid, literally something like that, to distribute them).

As for the stewards, they were doing their 'jobs' but shouldn't be allowed to confiscate and it's bloody wrong that free speech isn't allowed.

Is your own argument so weak Milo that you can't others to question it?

Robinski
17/11/2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks to all that held up the cards, sorry for those who were robbed of theirs by the stewards.

As I entered the North Tce they were making announcements that anyone holding a red card would not be admitted into the ground, sh*ts!

I have 5 left.

1 for Milo Corcoran
1 for John Delaney
1 for Michael Cody
1 for Tadgh O'Hallaran
1 for John O'Donoghue

All being posted out to them today.

Seamuslawless
17/11/2004, 11:31 AM
Might be good to aim for a Programme Boycott for the Portugal game.... could hand out cards saying "If you disagree with the way the fai are running irish soccer ........ blah blah blah, please refrain from buying a programme at tonights game" that way it wouldn't matter if people didn't get the leaflets in or not. Plus there is 3 months to plan for the Portugal game, so shoud be easier to get organised and get the word out. :)

wws
17/11/2004, 11:44 AM
lads guerrilla warfare - never cede your enemy the battlefield of their choosing - suprise is the greatest weapon v a larger opponent

ie ive watched 2 much sky coverage of iraq but basically get a private email list and plan A SINGLE action - a symbolic one that 10/12 ppl can put together which will get MAXIMUM exposure of Delaney and Milo but offers them no chance to sabotage

the fact that you got these idiots to alert security is a victory in itself - they are afraid of your protest - you have won round one!

well done so far - but stick the knife in - they dnt want their dirty linen washed in public!

Robinski
17/11/2004, 11:53 AM
Might be good to aim for a Programme Boycott for the Portugal game.... could hand out cards saying "If you disagree with the way the fai are running irish soccer ........ blah blah blah, please refrain from buying a programme at tonights game" that way it wouldn't matter if people didn't get the leaflets in or not. Plus there is 3 months to plan for the Portugal game, so shoud be easier to get organised and get the word out. :)

The FAI don't get much from the programmes, a company called Century Publishing get most of it, whatever the FAI get is minimal. Clever guys, aren't they?

Seamuslawless
17/11/2004, 12:19 PM
I can't believe that.... programmes are €5 a go and the FAI aren't making a major profit... why don't they run this internally just using a printing company ? Or is that like asking how long is a piece of string ?! :rolleyes:

$Leon$
17/11/2004, 12:49 PM
lads what about a protest in merrion square outside der offices?

harpskid
17/11/2004, 2:11 PM
Just before the teams came out i took a bundle of the cards from a UCD fan and as i was handing them out some old fella started shouting "if yer a true fan ye wouldn't be doing that. That's wrong lad. Ye should be banned" :mad:

So if i was a true fan i'd support the FAI for what it is now - shambolic - would i :rolleyes:

Schumi
17/11/2004, 2:15 PM
Has anyone got any pictures of the protest? How did it look?

tetsujin1979
17/11/2004, 2:23 PM
Try here, I was too late to get further down to get better pics :(

http://www.yafro.com/?action=viewphoto&photoid=6951519&photopicfroserver=1

http://www.yafro.com/?action=viewphoto&photoid=6951524&photopicfroserver=1

wws
17/11/2004, 2:35 PM
the football ones are crap but the japanese lass on the right are ok :D

Macy
17/11/2004, 3:06 PM
Just a few points, you don't have to let a steward frisk you - you can request a member of the Gardai to be present. I don't see why they'd stop you bringing in a bit of paper.

Secondly, you should contact every media organisation going about what the stewards were doing, under FAI orders. Not allowing a peaceful protest is a bigger story than the protest itself IMO.

John83
17/11/2004, 3:08 PM
Just a few points, you don't have to let a steward frisk you - you can request a member of the Gardai to be present. I don't see why they'd stop you bringing in a bit of paper.
From the sounds of it, many people didn't even think to hide them. Next time (if there is one), they'll be wiser.

Secondly, you should contact every media organisation going about what the stewards were doing, under FAI orders. Not allowing a peaceful protest is a bigger story than the protest itself IMO.
Very true.

Robinski
17/11/2004, 3:30 PM

As was told on Liveline today. Joe lapped it up. Very bad PR for the FAI. They made it hit the airwaves by trying to take away the protest.

wws
17/11/2004, 3:34 PM
which was exactly my point

round 1 to the protestors

the fai even fck up a clampdown

idiots they cant do ANYTHING right

and someone is DEFFO on the take

Éanna
17/11/2004, 3:46 PM
yeah, in many ways I think the clampdown has actually worked in favour of the protesters. Shows the FAI up for the crappy little politburo they are

leesider
17/11/2004, 5:43 PM
this was in the indo:

Fans at Lansdowne Road last night for the international against Croatia showed their disapproval at recent events in Merrion Square by booing president Milo Corcoran when he took to the pitch for the pre-match ceremony, while there were reports that anti-FAI placards were confiscated outside the ground.

joeraki
17/11/2004, 6:56 PM
If any of you are in Dublin this Friday night why not go along to see Shels (probably) win the league. Live TV, all the FAI suits there for the presentation. Plus you'd get noticed on TV 100 times quicker in a attendence of a 3/4 thousand as apposed to 30 thousand

onceahoop
18/11/2004, 7:45 AM
Well done to all the lads who put in the hard work and to everyone who took part. It was definitely a success because the FAI were panicked into scoring an own goal. Looked the video and you could hear just about hear the boos although the PA was blaring. There was a substantial amount of people booing. Sku showed a brief view of the terrace and one elderly man holding his red card up.

Only heard a bit on the Joe Duffy programe, but it shows up Corcoran
Delaney and their lackeys for the fascists that they are.

It shows how scared they are though, if they resortd to those tactics. So much for democracy and free speech.

Funnily enough the thought occurred to me during the week that they might try to confiscate the cards. Then I thought that they couldn't be that stupid.................they were!!! and they are!!!!!!!!!

Milo you well might ask "How long is a piece of string" .

Rember this; "Long runs the Fox"

That big skeleton is going to come tumbling out of the locker one of these days. :o :o :o

Not sure of the law at public events but if someone wants to search your person and that includes a pat down IMO it should be done in private

Jerry The Saint
18/11/2004, 10:13 AM
Not sure of the law at public events but if someone wants to search your person and that includes a pat down IMO it should be done in private

One of the guys on Joe Duffy contacted his solicitor and said that it was technically assault for stewards to take anything that isn't illegal off you in a public place (i.e. outside Lansdowne where they were confiscating the cards).
Anyone want to take this further! :D

I was going to suggest as well that everyone who's going to Richmond (especially with the live cameras) or Turner's X on Friday to bring them along and protest against Milo or whichever suit is there to represent the FAIlures. Maybe someone can arrange to hand them out if there's any left over.

Also an idea might be to start a Christmas Card campaign for the boys in Merrion Square, making sure to use red envelopes. Nothing's guaranteed to frighten the FAI and their stewards more than "the bad colour". This colour attracts Those We Don't Speak Of (i.e. The Fans) - http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0368447/. :eek:

Troy.McClure
18/11/2004, 2:18 PM
The Evening Hearld actually had quite a big piece about it yesterday. No photos but it did mention the PA system getting turned up when the boos started and what a bad PR job they did with having Milo and O'Donaghue together + stopping fans with red cards. They did say though that the 'planned protest failed to really materialise', kind of a contradiction seeing as they put the bones of a page into their article.