PDA

View Full Version : colin o'brien

dalo
09/01/2002, 10:41 AM
It was interesting to read the article in the examiner about the possibilty of colin o'brien going on a full time basis to waterford.

the quote from colin was very revealing where he stated "he was no longer enjoying his football in Cork". this would indicate a problem that has more to do with the management than his own ablity.

what is actually going on there in the dressing room. herrick, flangan, o'brien and a few more have all left or want to leave.

what is it that makes it so bad for them to want to leave given that say colin o'brien is actually willing to drop to a lower division to leave?

Neil
09/01/2002, 11:03 AM
The manager seems to have p!ssed off a lot of players this season, for whatever reason I don't know. If we keep going at this rate we will have a fully part-time team by next season. The Board will be happy with that anyway, and if we can keep on scraping into Europe it seems most of the supporters will be too...

dalo
09/01/2002, 11:08 AM
maybe eanna with all his "inside information" can tell us what is going on.

as I say things must be bad if a class player like cloin o'brien wants to play with waterford over cork city.

i only colin to say hello to and when I last spoke to him he seemed pretty committed to city. mind you that was last september.

what has gone wrong since?

pete
09/01/2002, 11:45 AM
When Colin left on loan to Waterford he was playing so bad he wasn't good enough for a place on the bench. He may been good in the past but he didn't seem to have recovered from hs injury & never played well last season either (hence johhny C filling in on the right).

He may have recovered his confidence & whether he returns or not the loan move to Waterford was 100% correct for everyone involved.

BTW I believe Colin should have stayed at fullback as never had the skill for midfield anyway.

shedboy
09/01/2002, 11:57 AM
Colin told me at the time he first went out on loan, that it was just a case of him wanting to play some first team football, with the view to coming back to city a better player. However I find it suprising that when we are down to the bare bones in midfield and he's playing and scoring for waterford that he hasn't been recalled !!!!! Maybe this fact isn't lost on him.

Neil
09/01/2002, 12:03 PM
By Bill George
CORK CITY and Waterford will compete over midfielder Colin O’Brien when his loan term with Waterford expires on January 26.
Waterford yesterday made it clear they wanted O’Brien, 26, to sign a permanent contract, but Cork City want him back at Turner’s Cross to strengthen their squad.

Said Cork City manager Liam Murphy: “What I want is for Colin to come back to Turner’s Cross and join the squad to fight for his place in the team. If he wants to go to Waterford then we could have a problem.”

The possible problem is the issue of a transfer fee, for Cork are adamant they will not allow O’Brien go for free. His contract with Cork is set to run until the end of the season.

Said Murphy: “Anytime we enquire after a player there is always mention of a fee; as far as I can see clubs are not interested in doing you any favours. But if the player wants to go then that is another matter and we will have to see what is best for Cork City and what is best for the player.”

The Cork manager said: “If any player is determined to leave then I would not stand in his way, I would rather find him another club. But the probability is that Colin will come back to our squad and if Waterford want him they will have to go through proper channels and we will be looking for a fee.”

Waterford Chairman, Ger O’Brien, confirmed that they were keen to retain the services of the midfielder: “In the two and a half months he has been with us he has been a great addition to the club; he is totally professional in his attitude to the game and we will be hoping that Cork will release him”.

“We want to sign him long-term but the difficulty about a fee is that there are only two months left in the season after January 26. If we wait until the end of the season he is then out of contract with Cork.”

Waterford, who lead First Division for the first time this season by beating Cobh Ramblers last weekend, are probably stretched for money at this point having just paid fees to sign Kelvin Flanagan, Cork City, and Andy Meyler, Athlone Town.

Colin O’Brien, however, has never played in a losing side for them in nine games and he scored four important League goals for them.

He said: “I am enjoying my football with Waterford. I wasn’t doing it with Cork, but I’m just going to wait and see what happens.”

Neil
09/01/2002, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Colin would be back in an instant if Gunther made it clear to his face that we was wanted. Instead we have Idiot Gunther mumbling rubbish to Bill George for the sake of an article.

MURPHY IS KILLING OUR CLUB!

IDIOT OUT

dalo
09/01/2002, 12:24 PM
to be honest I have taken a dim view of this MURPHY OUT thing. actually I think all of the stuff uttered by various people is usually done by people who want chage for the sake for it!!!!

anyway as we know most city fans are begrugers who moan and whinge at their own team given the slightest oppurtunity :-)

howeverthe departure of colin o'brien would bother me a bit given the fact he has been a excellant player for the club. greg, herrik and kelevin were players who never played to their potential (herrick), acted the maggott (greg) or who simply were triers who could not keeep their weight down (kelvin). they weren't even that popular with the fans (well except kelvin sorry) and then when they go the fans tsrt getting upset. makes little sense if you ask me!!!

colin is different. he is a fine player on his day and now liam is pushing him out? it makes little sense especially as "max power" is still playing up front and he is dire

Troy.McClure
09/01/2002, 3:35 PM
I assume that "Max Power" is Heartigan. Even though he is limited, he IS our top scorer (with Ollie), so Im not too concerned with him.

Re: Colin, I have to agree with what pete said a few posts ago. Colin has never fully recovered from his knee problem. As good as he was the year we won the cup, he has never been consistantly been good enough for a team that wants to win the league or at least get into Europe. Neither was Kelvin & Herrick and Greg's disipline was always a problem.

While they were all good squad players, they were never going to be in the starting 11 and were probably on the highest wages from the club. We have to remember that money plays a very big part in every club, and especially in the eL. The players that went wernt worth the money being spent and I support the manager and the board. Im sure that in the close season we will see more young players being brought through and more signings.

pete
09/01/2002, 4:06 PM
I think the main thing with letting the layers go is the lack of cover for certain positions now.

I am willing to wait 'n see what the old boys are replaced with.

Maybe (probably unlikely) Gunther has realised he can get a squad of young fulltime players instead of paying big part-time wages to older players? Am i being too optimistic?

niamh
09/01/2002, 7:21 PM
Colin doesn't sound pushed about returning..but he would be a bad loss to City. i think Murphy knows that too.

Gary
09/01/2002, 10:08 PM
Just to re-iterate. Why are all these players leaving and why is no cover being bought. Okay there are a few prospects in the youths and u-21s but in all fairness, we are challenging for the league. You can't expect them to 'come of age' that quickly and slot right into the team. And as we all know, if we have a few injuries we are in big trouble.

a.n.other
10/01/2002, 2:30 AM
the positive senario i can see developing out of this sell, sell, sell policy of herr gunther is that he will eventually percipitate his own downfall due to his continued weakening of the squad, at a stage of the season when one would assume that we should attempt to strenghten our squad and push on for the title we appear to be doing the opposite and are putting ourselves unneccessarily at risk of a debilitating injury crisis whose only positive would be that our form would get so bad that he may get the sack.

Troy.McClure
10/01/2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by a.n.other
whose only positive would be that our form would get so bad that he may get the sack.

So you are saying that you hope that the team goes to crap so our manager will get fired?

Surely the positive thing would be for our form to continue so we win the league and qualify gor Europe! :confused:

Neil
10/01/2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
continue so we win the league and qualify gor Europe! :confused:
Your living in a world of make believe! Even if we did manage to fluke the league or even scrape into Europe, it would be because the other teams are even more disorganised than us.

I agree with a.n.other here. At this point in the life of Cork City FC, I would prefer to see the club set-up a concrete base and become a more professionally organised business rather than continue to scrape a place in Europe with an amateur set-up on and off the field.

Éanna
10/01/2002, 2:00 PM
Originally posted by dalo
maybe eanna with all his "inside information" can tell us what is going on.
what inside info is this? i don't have any sources! i heard the odd thing and i post it, thats about it!

anyway, i do blame gunther for the sh!te thats going on. too many players gone- it will backfire.

dalo
10/01/2002, 3:13 PM
only joking eanna. i just saw one of the mailers slagging you off over your supposed name dropping and composed the above mail in response:-)

Troy.McClure
11/01/2002, 4:05 PM
I want City to improve off the pitch aswel Neil, but surely firing Murphy is not the answer. He is employed full time in soccer in Cork and takes an active part in developing talented young footballers in Munster and getting the best of them to play for Cork City if they dont go cross channel.

The way I see it is that Murphy IS forming a concrete base for the club by getting rid of the dead wood, whether you liked the players or not.

City being a "professionally organised business" is to do with the board, not the players, and who the manager chooses to have in the squad. If we do win the league by other clubs being more disorganised than us, well than thats their problem! At least we will have a head start on them improving ourselves.

Almost all of the "Gunther Out" brigade have been anti-Gunther since the start, and most have freely admitted it. "I never wanted Gunther to be the manager in the first place" has been said by many people here. Why were ye so against him from the start? He was a first time manager (which could be one aregument) but with that comes a clean slate - no failures. I waited until the end of the first series games of last season before forming my opinions on Mountfield as a manager. I did the same for Murphy. More people here should try to be more objective

Gary
11/01/2002, 5:08 PM
a concrete base for the club by getting rid of the dead wood

Explain that one will ya please?

James
11/01/2002, 5:13 PM
ah come GWA thats obvious
Tynan, Herrick, Kelvin, Colin, O Rourke, Greg ..all dead wood with nothing to offer city or any club.... :confused:

WTF?? :confused:

Éanna
14/01/2002, 2:45 PM

Almost all of the "Gunther Out" brigade have been anti-Gunther since the start, and most have freely admitted it. "I never wanted Gunther to be the manager in the first place" has been said by many people here. Why were ye so against him from the start? He was a first time manager (which could be one aregument) but with that comes a clean slate - no failures. I waited until the end of the first series games of last season before forming my opinions on Mountfield as a manager. I did the same for Murphy. More people here should try to be more objective

it's because of gunthers treasonous behaviour under mountfield that i hate the guy. he bore a huge amount of the responsibility for DM's departure. you wouldn't believe some of the stuff the guy has got away with. i'm not going posting it here, but i have heard from several people involved that liam murphy was more reponsible than any of the "gang of 5". that's why i want him out. he showed under DM he had no loyalty to this club, and that kind of thing doesn't change.

James
14/01/2002, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

he had no loyalty to this club, and that kind of thing doesn't change.

sry eanna but this coming from a city fan that has a sig file of "i love longford" ;)

Unbeleivable

Troy.McClure
14/01/2002, 2:56 PM
Tynan :
I would have liked it if he stayed, but if he was that good then he would have joined Shels. Instead he is playing for Kilkenny City in the 1st division & Im not to sure that he is even a regular for them! Im sad that he went, but then again I dont think that he ever delivered with his final shots/crosses, he missed some sitters! Also he was built like a stick and was far to easy to knock off the ball. Its a shame that we didnt get to see more of him but I think that we can live without him.

Herrick:
He takes 1/2 an hour to pass the ball, every one knows that, and if you dont then you're blind! There was often a collective groan when he got the ball because you knew that he would get dispossed.I cant fault him for commitment to the club, but it takes more than wanting to be good, to be good! We wernt going to win the league with him in the middle of the pitch.

Kelvin:
A solid tackeler and good at dead balls but was never fit enough to make the impact needed. A nice guy Im sure, like Herrick, but "Burgers" says it all :(

Colin:
Not skillful enough. Not fit enough since his knee problem. Nuff said

O Rourke:
Hardly an integral part of the team now was he?

Greg:
Is still with the team but if we could get a bit of money for him then I would gladly see him go. Lots of tallent, lots of red & yellow cards :mad:

With the exception of Greg (IMO), all of the people that went are gents and very genuine nice people, but their job was to win matches, not the Noble peace prize. O'Grady + Bennett are times better than Flanagan + Herrick and ye know it. We need a propper right winger, thats obvious, but having some one just for the sake of having some one is not the answer.

Also, did anybody notice that all of the players that left went to crap clubs?

Peadar
14/01/2002, 2:57 PM
you wouldn't believe some of the stuff the guy has got away with. i'm not going posting it here, but i have heard from several people involved that liam murphy was more reponsible than any of the "gang of 5".

Éanna I'm sick of you and your gang of 5 rubbish.
You go on and on about what you know and all the secrets you've been privey to.
I may not be able to prove that you blabbed the rubbish to Johnny Ward about Mulligan but I'd be willing to bet money on it and let me tell you Éanna I'll be carefull what I say to you in future.
Call yourself a supporter?
All you seem to be doing is trying to destroy the club.

Pablo
14/01/2002, 3:51 PM
did i miss something about O'Rourke? is he gone too?

Peadar
14/01/2002, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
did i miss something about O'Rourke? is he gone too?

Wasn't he on the bench last Saturday?
I know it was cold and wet but I'm sure I saw him warming up?

James
14/01/2002, 4:16 PM
no youre right peadar sry was thinking of Dave Moore who was shipped off to Waaaaterford

Éanna
15/01/2002, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by Peadar

Éanna I'm sick of you and your gang of 5 rubbish.
You go on and on about what you know and all the secrets you've been privey to.
I may not be able to prove that you blabbed the rubbish to Johnny Ward about Mulligan but I'd be willing to bet money on it and let me tell you Éanna I'll be carefull what I say to you in future.
Call yourself a supporter?
All you seem to be doing is trying to destroy the club.
thats just crap and you know it. i've never posted anything i've been asked not to repeat- thats a fact.
what rubbish about mulligan? what happened with mulligan was fact.
you need to get off other people's backs and calm down a bit.
i'm simply giving the bigger picture. there's a lot of people who don't know half of what went on, and it's their money paying for the club, so they deserve to know. i've no problem with you disagreeing with me- hell it makes the whole thing more interesting- but calling my opinions (most of them based on FACT) rubbish is out of order.
i'm not even going to reply to your comment about destroying the club, because it's not worth it- anyway, you know at least as much as i do about those kind of people.

Éanna
15/01/2002, 3:05 PM
also- yes it was me who passed that story ointo JW. he has asked me to pass any stories i hear onto him, and i was asked by the person who told me to pass it on. i was merely the messenger. if you gave me a story about how great gunther was and it was true- i'd do the same.

James
15/01/2002, 3:19 PM
if you gave me a story about how great gunther was and it was true - i'd do the same.

as if :D what are the odds....any give me 1000/1

pete
15/01/2002, 3:29 PM
also- yes it was me who passed that story ointo JW. he has asked me to pass any stories i hear onto him, and i was asked by the person who told me to pass it on. i was merely the messenger.

Is there any chance you were being used by this mystery man Éanna?

The article on JWs site says Jamsie was rumoured to be transfer listed & theres been no indication that is true.

Éanna
15/01/2002, 3:42 PM
perhaps Pete. all i told anyone was that i had heard a rumour that mulligan was on the list. thats what i heard and thats what i said. it appears to have turned out to be untrue so the rumour was wrong.
i can't be blamed for passing on information, unless i distorted it, which i didn't.
storm in a tea-cup really.