PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V England - Sunday 7th June 2015 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TheOneWhoKnocks
19/11/2014, 10:14 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/19/lack-imagination-england-fans-chants

Oh boy..

BonnieShels
19/11/2014, 10:32 PM
Indeed...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/19/mindless-chanting-sadly-familiar-england-fans

ArdeeBhoy
19/11/2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah, but what do you expect from those planks?

Most of them would struggle to find Dublin on a map, let alone know anything about Irish history or culture.

There's loads of links between them and fascists/loyalists in the North and elsewhere. Tbf, the latter make even today's uber-loyalist look pretty benign by comparison, especially in a 'football' context.

Fixer82
21/11/2014, 3:24 AM
Have tickets gone on sale for the England/BNP/Combat-18 game yet?

ArdeeBhoy
21/11/2014, 7:03 AM
Only by default if you have a season ticket...

jbyrne
21/11/2014, 8:30 AM
Have tickets gone on sale for the England/BNP/Combat-18 game yet?

yes, but only as a 3 game (poland, eng, scot) package

samhaydenjr
22/11/2014, 2:27 AM
Should the FAI add a security deposit to the price of tickets sold in England? And should we get a one-goal head-start (credited, of course to David Kelly)?

Charlie Darwin
22/11/2014, 3:02 AM
Would that make David Kelly the oldest-ever player to score in an international fixture?

edit: going by this (http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/oldest-youngest.html) it seems it would. Wales' Billy Meredith is the holder, scoring against England aged 45 years 73 days.

Fixer82
22/11/2014, 10:43 AM
yes, but only as a 3 game (poland, eng, scot) package

ah balls. i'm not made of euros

Stuttgart88
22/11/2014, 11:42 AM
A mate was telling me the KO time will be 11.30am to curtail pre match drinking. Has anyone else heard this?

Closed Account
22/11/2014, 12:02 PM
A mate was telling me the KO time will be 11.30am to curtail pre match drinking. Has anyone else heard this?

I think Ken Early said it but then said that he wasn't sure. 2.30 is what I heard.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2014, 12:47 PM
Good, I won't have to miss Mass.

DannyInvincible
22/11/2014, 5:35 PM

That'd be a bizarre kick-off time for an international game on a Sunday. Are they expecting greater amounts of alcohol to be consumed than usual or is there a genuine fear of trouble breaking out? Do Combat 18/EDL types still follow England around in significant numbers? I thought the FA had largely managed to stamp out their influence at England games, but maybe not. You might just get a few knuckle-draggers turning up simply for the occasion rather than the game itself.

I had read on YBIG prior to the Scotland game that ticketless Bohs and Rovers casuals were heading over to Glasgow simply to make their presence known, but I didn't hear wind of any trouble whatsoever either before or after the game.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2014, 6:28 PM
My mate said an 11.30am start to limit alcohol consumption before the game wouldn't work. If Poznan was anything to go by the young Irish would just stay up all night drinking. A bit like Bonnie actually.

ArdeeBhoy
22/11/2014, 6:57 PM
An early KO would just deflect the problem to later in the day, or to Temple Bar the night before...

Unless their cops put a lot of banning orders in place, would expect the usual plankton to be attracted plus 1-2 of their friends from the North...
Shame for their decent fans as you know, but their songbook the other night was undoubtedly a warm-up for the main event next year.

BonnieShels
23/11/2014, 1:29 AM
My mate said an 11.30am start to limit alcohol consumption before the game wouldn't work. If Poznan was anything to go by the young Irish would just stay up all night drinking. A bit like Bonnie actually.
Well I wouldn't call it "ALL" night. We had strippers in the middle and shoes to take off, for the lads at the end.

Fixer82
23/11/2014, 10:58 AM
I heard Ken Earley mention that too but saw elsewhere it was 7.45pm.
I think it would b e ridiculous having it that early as, mentioned above, town would be full of very drunk people by 4.30pm

ArdeeBhoy
23/11/2014, 6:26 PM
In the space of three hours?

The potential for disorder would be around 3 hrs later, or the night before, which is far more likely...

Stuttgart88
23/11/2014, 7:54 PM
Is it just me or does the idea of a prominent Irish football figure singing songs of a political nature in the same week as England fans revealing that their own (conflicting) political prejudices are still alive and well suggest that next June may be something other than a mutual love-in?

In fairness the story of England's chanting only broke to the public the day after the certain Irish football figure took to the mike, but still there's a public safety aspect to all this and I think some flames have been needlessly fanned.

The Fly
23/11/2014, 8:02 PM
Is it just me or does the idea of a prominent Irish football figure singing songs of a political nature in the same week as England fans revealing that their own (conflicting) political prejudices are still alive and well suggest that next June may be something other than a mutual love-in?

Nope, the man is a cretin.

ArdeeBhoy
23/11/2014, 8:21 PM
A million and one things will have changed next June?
Ukrap could even have a deciding vote in their govt.by then...

The Fly
23/11/2014, 8:55 PM
A million and one things will have changed next June?
Ukrap could even have a deciding vote in their govt.by then...

Mine was more a blanket statement. http://z5.ifrm.com/5902/57/0/e5001372//e5001372.gif

ArdeeBhoy
23/11/2014, 9:34 PM
As opposed to a protest?

Charlie Darwin
23/11/2014, 10:24 PM
The match isn't scheduled for 11.30. They haven't decided on a time yet but it's most likely going to be late afternoon.

jbyrne
24/11/2014, 3:34 PM
ah balls. i'm not made of euros

single tickets on sale post Christmas I heard. that is if there are any left after the poles and scots get at them

geysir
24/11/2014, 6:23 PM
I don't have a good feeling about this game anymore, not that I felt great to begin with.
It's too late in June and if the game had to happen, it should be after the important qualifier game, which for most of our players, is scheduled closer to pre season than end of season.
Then we have the ease at which these nut jobs can infiltrate the English support and nobody notices anything. It's hard to tell the difference between the ordinary decent union jacked english fan and an ultra right wing nutcase, the lines of demarcation are quite faint :rolleyes:

I appreciate that international qual dates and match schedule are Uefa imposed.
Not one of uefa's brighter ideas, middle of June is a ridiculous time except for those countries with many players in a summer league.

ArdeeBhoy
24/11/2014, 11:03 PM
That's hardly anything new. Have to pray the Brit cops enforce a load of new banning orders, otherwise the Eng.fans may be leaving in a similar manner as '95.
Which would be daft, especially as the Guards should probably do far beforehand.

GypsyBlackCat
26/11/2014, 3:03 PM
Yeah, but what do you expect from those planks?

Most of them would struggle to find Dublin on a map, let alone know anything about Irish history or culture.

There's loads of links between them and fascists/loyalists in the North and elsewhere. Tbf, the latter make even today's uber-loyalist look pretty benign by comparison, especially in a 'football' context.

My God! Do you still live in the 80's?!

The world is a different place now than it was 20 years ago. In fairness, the English FA have cleaned up their act in regards to their hooligan problem. The Guardian is uber-PC leftie rag. It's left-wing Daily Mail now days.

There wasn't any trouble at the Wembley game and there will be little to no trouble at the Dublin game. It'll be just a few mindless Up the 'RA heads and Danny Dyer wanna be's causing trouble.

Stuttgart88
26/11/2014, 4:33 PM
Where have I heard that before? Early in 1995 I think!

In fairness, The Guardian isn't stirring anything in this regard. England fans sing No Surrender, FAI chief sings song about Hunger Strikers on the same night. It's hardly alarmist to suggest some knuckleheads won't try and use that as an excuse to stir things up.

Is it likely there'll be trouble? No. Is it possible? Yes. Did JD's action add risk? Yes, I'd say, in a small way.

DannyInvincible
26/11/2014, 5:03 PM
a few mindless Up the 'RA heads

Ah, c'mon now; don't be referring to John Delaney and his pals like that. He's had enough to put up with this week!

ArdeeBhoy
27/11/2014, 9:46 AM
My God! Do you still live in the 80's?!

The world is a different place now than it was 20 years ago. In fairness, the English FA have cleaned up their act in regards to their hooligan problem. The Guardian is uber-PC leftie rag. It's left-wing Daily Mail now days.

There wasn't any trouble at the Wembley game and there will be little to no trouble at the Dublin game. It'll be just a few mindless Up the 'RA heads and Danny Dyer wanna be's causing trouble.

And where do you live? Naivety Central?

Look at any Zombie page online and you'll soon find how they and their cronies regard Irish people in general.

GypsyBlackCat
27/11/2014, 12:15 PM
And where do you live? Naivety Central?

Look at any Zombie page online and you'll soon find how they and their cronies regard Irish people in general.

Of course there is a bad bunch connect to England's fan base. All supporter groups have them sadly. But I've been on England forums and talked to England regulars and most of them are just normal blokes like most fans.

Hopefully lesson will be learned for both side this time around and the game can pass of peacefully. It isn't a war, it's a game.

I'd like to see more games like this. They've more edge to them than normal friendlies. I know June is an odd time as the season ends but games like this will get our players up for it rather than a meaningless friendly against Greece or Bulgaria at the of the season.

ArdeeBhoy
27/11/2014, 12:29 PM
Aye, most of them are fine, but you only need 200 dicks to turn up and the Guards will quite probably be ill-prepared again. The Eng.police are generally more efficient in this matter and hopefully will stop most of them travelling.

ArdeeBhoy
12/12/2014, 9:40 PM
Beyond embarrassing....https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10407611_738438152916830_7379557009290779413_n.jpg ?oh=a5b7acb484aafae2e1439c8053bb1a4c&oe=55140560&__gda__=1426451416_3e84eda87345b0c16140c3f2af5e14d 1

https://www.facebook.com/casarebelde/photos/a.229269233833727.52409.103673066393345/738438152916830/?type=1&theater

IsMiseSean
12/12/2014, 9:55 PM
They wouldn't charge that much if there wasn't plenty of idiots out there that will happily pay it....

ArdeeBhoy
12/12/2014, 10:54 PM
Aye, which is why it's embarrassing...

DannyInvincible
12/12/2014, 11:45 PM
There'd need to be a good helping of ice cream for dessert to justify that. Who's the guest speaker? Obama?

Charlie Darwin
13/12/2014, 12:01 AM
Your man from the Wolfe Tones.

ArdeeBhoy
13/12/2014, 8:45 AM
Wullie Frazer?

DeLorean
29/01/2015, 8:21 AM
Just noticed that this is the day after the CL final, which seems to be very late this year. I suppose of the English teams Chelsea are the most likely to be involved, and they don't have the number of English internationals they once had i.e. Terry, Lampard, the two Coles, etc. Off the top of my head I can only think of Gary Cahill as a significant absentee, should the situation arise. Arsenal have a string of English players at the moment but are highly unlikely to be involved and Barcelona should see of Manchester City again, on current form anyway.

Fixer82
29/01/2015, 10:52 AM
Beyond embarrassing....https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10407611_738438152916830_7379557009290779413_n.jpg ?oh=a5b7acb484aafae2e1439c8053bb1a4c&oe=55140560&__gda__=1426451416_3e84eda87345b0c16140c3f2af5e14d 1

https://www.facebook.com/casarebelde/photos/a.229269233833727.52409.103673066393345/738438152916830/?type=1&theater

Wonder what the gift is?
A weekend away with Frank Stapleton?
An FAI ballpoint pen?
I'm intrigued...

punkrocket
29/01/2015, 2:37 PM
Wonder how many free drinks?

DeLorean
14/02/2015, 8:19 PM
Me only want to fight guys like me (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/english-thugs-were-in-dublin-to-fight-each-other-not-the-irish-says-former-football-hooligan-30989592.html)

DannyInvincible
15/02/2015, 7:19 PM
Me only want to fight guys like me (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/english-thugs-were-in-dublin-to-fight-each-other-not-the-irish-says-former-football-hooligan-30989592.html)

Interesting perspective on it. I once met a very eloquent and obviously-intelligent left-leaning lad who made an impassioned defence of hooliganism as we talked about many things related to politics and football. He directed me towards his blog where he'd written on this in greater detail. I'm not necessarily saying I was convinced of the merits of hooliganism, but his thoughts certainly surprised me in the sense he was anything but the nasty, boorish and burly EDL-sort that people tend to commonly associate with hooliganism: https://northernladsclub.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/in-defence-of-hooligansim/

DannyInvincible
15/02/2015, 7:21 PM
'Ireland Team vs England In 1995 – Where Are They Now?': http://balls.ie/football/ireland-vs-england-1995-where-are-they-now/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Gather round
15/02/2015, 9:03 PM
I once met a very eloquent and obviously-intelligent left-leaning lad who made an impassioned defence of hooliganism...his thoughts certainly surprised me in the sense he was anything but the nasty, boorish and burly EDL-sort that people tend to commonly associate with hooliganism

Obviously I can only judge your mate by his blog, but alas I started to glaze over at lumpenproletariat, petty bourgeoisie and commentariat in the first paragraph. That's verbiage as much as a sign of obvious intelligence, although he's clearly well-traveled and observant.

As for the British Left (of mainstream Labour), I expect its best electoral result for decades in our forthcoming elections. Wonder if Northern Lad will still think it's a standing joke if that happens?

EDL turned up here (Dudley) last week for a well-publicised rally protesting both against a proposed local mosque and general 'Islamisation'. I was at the counter-demo elsewhere in town. The EDL website, as well as plenty of footage of burly, masked goons included an analysis of the sacred Hadiths. Impressive, but probably not of great interest to most of the crowd.

If NL and his mates want a ruck to let off steam without upsetting the lefty students they so despise, can't they find an abandoned quarry or uninhabitated island somewhere? The NI contingent could take along the local unionist and nationalist career rioters and all.

DannyInvincible
16/02/2015, 12:01 AM
Obviously I can only judge your mate by his blog, but alas I started to glaze over at lumpenproletariat, petty bourgeoisie and commentariat in the first paragraph. That's verbiage as much as a sign of obvious intelligence, although he's clearly well-traveled and observant.

As for the British Left (of mainstream Labour), I expect its best electoral result for decades in our forthcoming elections. Wonder if Northern Lad will still think it's a standing joke if that happens?

EDL turned up here (Dudley) last week for a well-publicised rally protesting both against a proposed local mosque and general 'Islamisation'. I was at the counter-demo elsewhere in town. The EDL website, as well as plenty of footage of burly, masked goons included an analysis of the sacred Hadiths. Impressive, but probably not of great interest to most of the crowd.

If NL and his mates want a ruck to let off steam without upsetting the lefty students they so despise, can't they find an abandoned quarry or uninhabitated island somewhere? The NI contingent could take along the local unionist and nationalist career rioters and all.

Not so much a mate; more a friend of a friend of a friend who I happened to chat to once after a night out and whose views I found interesting in the sense they were not remotely mainstream. I'd perceived him as intelligent before I read his blog. I have no idea what his present views on the state of the British left would be, however, as I have no affiliation or connection whatsoever to the Northern Lads Club. Even in spite of the verbiage! :p

Closed Account
04/03/2015, 4:35 PM
The Football Association of Ireland today (Wednesday) confirmed that kick-off time for the Three International Friendly between the Republic of Ireland and England has been confirmed for 1pm on Sunday, June 7 following discussions with the FA, broadcasters, and the GardaĆ­.
3,000 tickets will be made available through the FA for English supporters.
Irish ticket sales details will be provided in due course.

DeLorean
04/03/2015, 4:46 PM
Super!

back of the net
04/03/2015, 5:46 PM
The Football Association of Ireland today (Wednesday) confirmed that kick-off time for the Three International Friendly between the Republic of Ireland and England has been confirmed for 1pm on Sunday, June 7 following discussions with the FA, broadcasters, and the GardaĆ­.
3,000 tickets will be made available through the FA for English supporters.
Irish ticket sales details will be provided in due course.

Wonder are they expecting trouble?