PDA

View Full Version : iPod vs iRiver

Don Vito
15/11/2004, 7:57 PM
Been thinkin of gettin one of these, my techno brother says the iRiver is way better but I like the stylishness of the iPod. Anyone out there got one of these machines or advice for me?

$Leon$
15/11/2004, 8:03 PM
Been thinkin of gettin one of these, my techno brother says the iRiver is way better but I like the stylishness of the iPod. Anyone out there got one of these machines or advice for me?

just lookin at that don seem a much better alternative seems to play more formats including wma

dahamsta
15/11/2004, 10:32 PM
I have an iRiver iHP-140, which I think is called a H140 these days, find it very good both for walking around and in the car with a cassette convertor. Wouldn't bother with an iPod tbh, I think you're paying over the odds for the brand. (I don't mind paying for a brand because you're getting accountability, but I feel that Apple push things a little too far down the snobby road.)

Two things to note about the iRivers: a) they're notorious for slow firmware development; and b) don't bother with the colour ones, they're the exact same thing only with... eh... colour.

adam

City Hero
15/11/2004, 11:49 PM
Bet you can't do this with an iRiver ipod your bmw (http://www.ipodyourbmw.com)

Now if only I had a BMW and an ipod.

max power
16/11/2004, 8:16 AM
yeah a mate has put his ipod into his X5, i have an ipod colour on order and through the cd changer channel on the rear of my head unit i should be able to put it into my car.

GavinZac
16/11/2004, 9:32 AM
iPods are for idiots who prefer to follow what everyone else is doing rather than whats the actual best value. in this situation, i'd say iRiver. but i have a fone with an mp3 player and radio and 1GB memory so i can store games, pictures, class projects, lecture notes, ( :D ) etc aswell as hours of music.

for €200

and it looks like this www.n-gage.com

max power
16/11/2004, 9:33 AM
iPods are for idiots who prefer to follow what everyone else is doing rather than whats the actual best value. in this situation, i'd say iRiver. but i have a fone with an mp3 player and radio and 1GB memory so i can store games, pictures, class projects, lecture notes, ( :D ) etc aswell as hours of music.

for €200

and it looks like this www.n-gage.com

well aren't u great, but someof us have more than 1gb of music and photos :rolleyes:

GavinZac
16/11/2004, 9:35 AM
well aren't u great, but someof us have more than 1gb of music and photos :rolleyes:

then buy a 2GB one

and if you've more than a gigabyte of music, either you arent compressing it or you're keeping sh!te like robbie williams on it.

max power
16/11/2004, 9:46 AM
then buy a 2GB one

and if you've more than a gigabyte of music, either you arent compressing it or you're keeping sh!te like robbie williams on it.

not really, i have almost 6gb of pics before u even talk bout music......music wise i have a very large collection and if i can keep it all in one place i do.

i have a small 256mb with radio as well for running and the like.

GavinZac
16/11/2004, 9:54 AM
not really, i have almost 6gb of pics before u even talk bout music......music wise i have a very large collection and if i can keep it all in one place i do.

i have a small 256mb with radio as well for running and the like.

i keep all my music on my pc and rotate it every now and again. and i presume you're a bit technologically minded as most of the culchy old dolls walking around UCC with their new-fangled walkman wouldnt know how to plug in a USB connection.

also, the iPod has an irreplaceable battery that regularyl dies after 18-24 months of use.

Ruairi
16/11/2004, 10:04 AM
i duno shedend, I love my iPod. It's only a fifth full (that's about 4 gigs used out of the 20) and i've over 1200 songs on it. I still have stacks of cds waiting to go on. I used it djing the other night - 1200 songs in a deely not much bigger than a packet of fags. it's not as bad as what i've read on the internet, either.

max power
16/11/2004, 10:09 AM
i keep all my music on my pc and rotate it every now and again. and i presume you're a bit technologically minded as most of the culchy old dolls walking around UCC with their new-fangled walkman wouldnt know how to plug in a USB connection.

also, the iPod has an irreplaceable battery that regularyl dies after 18-24 months of use.

i have almost 24gb of music on an external HD at the mo, all my dj music in one section and my personal collection in another folder.

so i have any tune i want any time also the pics part is great as well

dahamsta
16/11/2004, 12:45 PM
I don't think I'd be able to fill the iRiver if I tried. At the last count I had about 5GB of music, I prolly have 10 at the most now. Guess I should use it for my pr0n overflow or something. So to speak. :)

adam

shedite
16/11/2004, 1:43 PM
I heard about some people who had trouble with the ipods battery alright. Apparently the new battery is gonna cost as much as the ipod will in a years time.

tetsujin1979
16/11/2004, 1:54 PM
Ive a 20 gig nomad zen for a year and I've only just passed the 13 gig mark. It's really handy for carrying movies and stuff around, and a million times better than the box of cd's I used to have!

No problems with the battery either, I hear the iPod dies after a year and it has to be sent to the US to get it replaced - Apple Ireland used not to do it, dunno what the story is at the moment.

MariborKev
16/11/2004, 2:07 PM
I love my Iriver- the wee brother has an Ipod and although it win in the style stakes, things like the internal mic are really handy for me.

Pity the "Play" button on my remote has packed up :mad:

Slash/ED
16/11/2004, 4:41 PM
The iRiver is far better imo. Cheaper (I think, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it is), seems more sturdy, battery doesn't die after a year and a half and it has more features. The iPod looks better which is about the only advantage it has really.

GavinZac
17/11/2004, 10:54 AM
i suppose if you're a dj then you want lots of tracks, but for the average user, i dont reckon that theres 500 good songs ever made :eek: