PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V USA - Tuesday, 18th November 2014 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

tetsujin1979
10/11/2014, 3:10 PM
USA squad announced: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/11/10/08/44/141110-mnt-klinsmann-names-roster

DeLorean
10/11/2014, 3:12 PM
Just bought my ticket for this one as I'm up in Dublin for work anyway. I can't claim that I would be present otherwise, but it looks like we'll have a few new players in action so how bad.

IsMiseSean
10/11/2014, 3:21 PM
The weather will determine if I travel up from Galway or not. I'm a fair weather fan!

tetsujin1979
17/11/2014, 1:55 PM
press conference called today: https://twitter.com/3_News/statuses/534343241215520769

We are gearing up for a special press conference, live from our offices on Sir John Rogerson's Quay #3BENCHGUY (https://twitter.com/hashtag/3BENCHGUY?src=hash)

no idea what it's about, just putting it in this thread

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 1:59 PM
Good, we haven't had enough press conferences recently.

Seriously though, I think Martin was scheduled today anyway.

tetsujin1979
17/11/2014, 2:17 PM
from https://twitter.com/3_News/statuses/534349187446767616

MON confirms Cyrus Christie and David McGoldrick will make their debuts tomorrow night #3BENCHGUY (https://twitter.com/hashtag/3BENCHGUY?src=hash)

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2014, 2:23 PM
Are we to assume they'll start then and not just debut from the bench? Happy to see Christie start although I think Murphy has earned his right to start, so hope he's chosen over McGoldrick (if it's a choice between the two of them).

I'd go with
-------------Forde-----------
Christie--Keogh--OShea--Clark

---------Meyler--Hendrick---

McGeady---Brady------McClean

------------Murphy--------------

Tell them to goal hunting. We have to be more positive, even if it is a friendly. Time to start learning how to win games again.

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 2:29 PM
Are we to assume they'll start then and not just debut from the bench?
He said they'll start. It will be funny given Keane's comments if Coleman is rested.

jbyrne
17/11/2014, 2:49 PM
He said they'll start. It will be funny given Keane's comments if Coleman is rested.

looked like he was rested Friday given he was barely allowed to leave his own half

backstothewall
17/11/2014, 2:51 PM
I'd like to see us go with the 4-2-2-2 system Man City play occasionally, with McGeady & Brady as inside forwards.

------------- Randolph -------------

Christie - Pearce - O'Shea - Ward

--------- Hendrick Meyler ---------

Brady -------------------- McGeady

-------- Long McGoldrick --------

Hard to get up for this one. After spending a good chunk of the weekend travelling I'd be lieing if I was to say I'm looking forward to the drive to Dublin tomorrow.

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 2:53 PM
looked like he was rested Friday given he was barely allowed to leave his own half
If he'd been allowed out of his own half he might have been able to take a rest.

DannyInvincible
17/11/2014, 2:58 PM
So has Robbie finally thrown his toys out of the pram and huffed off back home to LA? This must be his walk-out moment then...

jbyrne
17/11/2014, 3:01 PM
So has Robbie finally thrown his toys out of the pram and huffed off back home to LA? This must be his walk-out moment then...

do you write for the herald by any chance?

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 3:03 PM
He was released back to Galaxy a couple of days ago for their MLS final games. None of the American players from the teams left were even called up for this trip, so it's probably pre-agreed with the club.

DannyInvincible
17/11/2014, 3:03 PM
do you write for the herald by any chance?

My tongue was firmly wedged in cheek there. I'm not one to fault or question Robbie's commitment. :)

Stuttgart88
17/11/2014, 3:06 PM
I think we need to win this game for ranking points and for confidence. I wouldn't meddle too much.

Forde
Christie O'Shea Keogh Clark
Meyler Hendrick
McGeady Quinn Brady
Long

McGoldrick to come on at half time
I chose Long because he needs a good game under his belt and a goal will do him good. Give him 60 minutes to get one.

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 3:07 PM
McGoldrick is probably the closest we have to Hoolahan or Reid at the moment. If people want us to play more progressive football, he's where we should start for this game.

Dunners
17/11/2014, 3:50 PM
Gents I think you may have the wrong impression of what sort of player McGoldrick is
He is viewed as a strong powerful striker with pace not a midfield play maker
He does though posses an eye for a pass , maybe this is where the confusion comes from

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 4:16 PM
I've seen him play and wouldn't describe as powerful or even particularly strong for a striker. Quick and has a low centre of gravity and can pick a pass. I wasn't saying he's like Hoolahan, just closer than what else we've got to someone who can pick up positions in between the lines and bring other players into the game, which isn't Long's game or Walters' game.

Stuttgart88
17/11/2014, 4:17 PM
I think most people are basing their opinion on what Daryl Murohy said about him last week, when he likened him to Hoolahan.

Charlie Darwin
17/11/2014, 4:22 PM
I don't know what Murphy said, only what McGoldrick himself told me as I was signing the back of his programme.

geysir
17/11/2014, 7:51 PM
McGoldrick is probably the closest we have to Hoolahan or Reid at the moment. If people want us to play more progressive football, he's where we should start for this game.
Hard to credit the criticism King got for playing Andy Reid up there.
I think we should try McGeady in there again, I haven't a clue about McGoldrick.

IsMiseSean
17/11/2014, 8:32 PM
On a side note. Klinsmann said today that Shane O'Neill will be sticking with USA. He's also on trial with Sheffield Wednesday.
https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/534402864589045760

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/11/2014, 10:25 AM

You may laugh now but give it time. It will be interesting if he isn't named in the 11 for the Poland game. The vibes are already there. He already had his toys out of the pram moment when he gave an expletive laden interview post game inferring that we would have won the game if he had started, and not Long and Walters.

Pretty poor form to not only doubt the manager's decisions in a public forum but bringing up teammates too? Wow.

He was given 20 minutes and it's not like he done anything when we were chasing the game anyway.

paul_oshea
18/11/2014, 10:33 AM
TWOK we started with shane and we were useless though, what do you say to that? You said you would eat your words. Shane got his chance and couldnt do anything, at least robbie would hold it up and win a throw the odd time or keep possession, Shane didnt even do that. I think doyle plays this role better, Shane plays running into the channels better, but not holding it up and bringing others into play.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2014, 10:38 AM
You may laugh now but give it time. It will be interesting if he isn't named in the 11 for the Poland game. The vibes are already there. He already had his toys out of the pram moment when he gave an expletive laden interview post game inferring that we would have won the game if he had started, and not Long and Walters.

Pretty poor form to not only doubt the manager's decisions in a public forum but bringing up teammates too? Wow.

He was given 20 minutes and it's not like he done anything when we were chasing the game anyway.

he implied it, you inferred it

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/11/2014, 10:40 AM
Hanley should have been sent off for scything him, he set up Walters for a chance, he had a flicked instinctive header on goal, decent link up with Walters..

It's as much as Keane did in his last several competitive games.

I think Long should be played on his own and the midfield should have three players in it. It would benefit Hendrick, Long, McGeady, McClean..... but no, sure we have to find a way to fit carthorse Jon Walters into the team for every game.

BonnieShels
18/11/2014, 10:51 AM

I could have sworn he was given about 12minutes?

21:19
79 mins It's a last throw of the dice from Ireland as Robbie Keane is introduced to proceedings with Hendrick making way.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2014/1114/659465-live-scotland-v-ireland/

---

To bring Robbie on when we did was pointless. He wasn't going to change the game with so little time, couple that with a system that was not designed to accommodate him and with a team set up in such a way that we had precious few chances on the night, how could he have possibly prospered on Friday?

Of course, you will point out that he did very little and that is true, but it fails to singularly explain why he was so ineffective. Setup was key and on the night MON got some substitution calls awfully wrong. But c'est la vie.

paul_oshea
18/11/2014, 10:54 AM
Hanley should have been sent off for scything him, he set up Walters for a chance, he had a flicked instinctive header on goal, decent link up with Walters..

I think Long should be played on his own and the midfield should have three players in it. It would benefit Hendrick, Long, McGeady, McClean..... but no, sure we have to find a way to fit carthorse Jon Walters into the team for every game.

Towk i normally agree with you on things but he didn't and he never brought the midfield into it, he isn't capable of holding it up and bringing the midifield in, he lost possession quite a few times. And his goal threat isn't there, robbie looked livelier when he came on, and we all know Keane the finisher is better than Long the finisher.

BS he came on with about 13 mins or so to go but there was over 4 mins of injury time, so he is closer to the amount of time than you suggest. He was on the pitch for about 16-18 minutes.

osarusan
18/11/2014, 11:04 AM
he implied it, you inferred it

Indeed!

I don't actually think Keane implied it though.

BonnieShels
18/11/2014, 11:08 AM
Towk i normally agree with you on things but he didn't and he never brought the midfield into it, he isn't capable of holding it up and bringing the midifield in, he lost possession quite a few times. And his goal threat isn't there, robbie looked livelier when he came on, and we all know Keane the finisher is better than Long the finisher.

BS he came on with about 13 mins or so to go but there was over 4 mins of injury time, so he is closer to the amount of time than you suggest. He was on the pitch for about 16-18 minutes.

16-18? Or 16? Or 15? A 20min stint indicates that there was a prolonged presence, plus Injury-time which was not the case.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2014, 11:30 AM

are you including the hat trick he scored only two competitive games ago?

Stuttgart88
18/11/2014, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know the question that was put to Keane when he said he's not effing Noall Quinn?

How did he insult his teammates or infer we would have won if he had started? He said he's not a bean pole who can play lone striker in a long ball team, he's a frontman who plays in a two upfront system and that's how he scores goals.

I think TOWK is reading it as "I don't like playing as a lone striker but if you go with two upfront I have to be one of those two because I score goals unlike the other two muppets, and would have done on Friday."

I think that's a highly subjective interpretation to say the least.

And whilst all opinions are subjective, I thought Long was so so at best on Friday. He gave away another impetuous unnecessary foul when he could have just stood up, and hardly ever got the better of his man. I think very few refs would have sent Hanley off even with the benefit of a replay.

Closed Account
18/11/2014, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know the question that was put to Keane when he said he's not effing Noall Quinn?
http://www.98fm.com/Im-Not--Niall-Quinn-or-Im-not-Shane-Long
Reporter: Robbie, 13 years since you were left out of a starting team, uninjured, did Martin have a word with you before the start of the game?
Robbie: Ah speak about the game. Listen, if the manager wants to play one up front, I'm not effin Niall Quinn or I'm not Shane Long so they're better at that than I am. Play two up front and want to score goals, that's my game. Certainly, I'd prefer to speak about the team rather than individual making a big deal of someone not starting the game. Manager made a decision and you have to respect that. Playing one up front doesn't suit me. It's fairly obvious, I'm 5'10'' so it's not my game.

BonnieShels
18/11/2014, 12:50 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 12:55 PM
How did he insult his teammates or infer we would have won if he had started?

Robbie didn't insult anybody, nor did he suggest we'd have won had he started. He simply said that playing one up front didn't suit him and made reference to two players (Quinn and Long) whose styles contrast(ed) from his own and whose styles might have been/be better suited to that role. He even made it clear that he respected Martin's decision and that he'd rather speak about the team than the individual. The quote is here: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/robbie-keane-on-irelands-tactics-im-not-fking-niall-quinn-or-shane-long-30747221.html

Stuttgart88
18/11/2014, 12:57 PM
I think it's a stretch to say it's an insult to the two who were picked. Long played further forward that Walters who covered a lot of ground, including linking midfield and attack, as identified by Kerr. So, that could label Long the lone striker. Keane is saying he wouldn't have been the right choice for the lone striker. So he is not criticising Long's selection. He was gutted at losing and personally gutted not to have played, and arguably questioning of the approach to the game.

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/11/2014, 1:04 PM
Keane said: "If the manager wants to play with one up front, I'm not f***ing Niall Quinn or I'm not Shane Long - they are better at that than I am. If you play two up front and you want to score goals, that's my game.

I must be reading too much into it as always.

Unfortunately playing the system Keane wants to play in or persisting with the same system we played against Scotland isn't going to give this mess of a team a chance of going to France.

A blind man can see we need 5 players in the middle.

And sorry Tets. I should have phrased that better. Keane has been anonymous in the vast majority of the games he's played against teams of any significant level. His performances in the Portugal friendly and similar games before it weren't anomalies. They were a sign of things to come.

Long, frankly, isn't going to score 7 goals in a qualifying campaign but if it's a choice of expecting Keane to get chances to score goals against teams like Scotland or Poland or playing Long or Walters up front and trying to instil a blueprint for the next campaign, I know what I would choose.

Something seriously needs to be done promptly. If things carry on the way they are, we will still be an aimless mess of a team by the start of the next campaign and beginning it from a state of disadvantage again.

I honestly don't think we should still be fitting and trying to accommodate the team around a mid-thirty something in the near future.

There are no Keane's coming through but the present day Keane is not the Keane of old either.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 1:06 PM
There's no debate here. He didn't insult anyone and he expressed his passionate disappointment about Friday (as if we could expect anything less). Roy Keane turned round the other day and said Robbie was a model pro about the whole thing.

It would take extreme amounts of Thick Of It style spin and a snug-fitting tin hat to get this argument going.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 1:12 PM
Keane said: "If the manager wants to play with one up front, I'm not f***ing Niall Quinn or I'm not Shane Long - they are better at that than I am. If you play two up front and you want to score goals, that's my game.

I must be reading too much into it as always.

Not just reading it - spinning it too. Maybe our top scorer (possibly for eternity) should play down his proven ability (I don't think so) but in the emotive post-match atmosphere, it's understandable and more than forgivable - unless you have an axe to grind or a theory to prove...

Anyway, the rest of his quote, also given in an emotive atmosphere, is needed for full spin-free context.

Certainly, I'd prefer to speak about the team rather than individual making a big deal of someone not starting the game. Manager made a decision and you have to respect that. Playing one up front doesn't suit me. It's fairly obvious, I'm 5'10'' so it's not my game.

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/11/2014, 1:17 PM
Again, would love to know why the "....and want to score goals" part was necessary.

Stuttgart88
18/11/2014, 1:28 PM
Could it not be something as benign as " my game is scoring goals as part of a pair upfront"? Which is perfectly true, in fairness.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 1:29 PM
Again, would love to know why the "....and want to score goals" part was necessary.

Honestly, TOWK, if he did, would you accept it? Or would you highlight six words out of 100 he said and use them to question his motives?

Don't take my word for it - you've repeatedly slurred the professionalism of a player who has been made captain by repeated managers and appears to command almost universal respect from fellow players. And all based on a few throwaway words here and there.

There is the merest ghostly outline of a solid argument here.

My take on those words you've pinpointed? Robbie was disappointed not to have started, feels he would have scored if he did and was disappointed we lost. And there's france all wrong with that.

If a player or the manager is insulted by that then they have thinner skin than a skeletal Eamon Dunphy.

paul_oshea
18/11/2014, 1:30 PM
Ok, Ok so forgetting what keane did or didnt say which I dont think you can, does anyone honestly think his 12 minutes or more precise 17 minutes cameo would have kept him happy after travelling all the way over from LA for a few days training and then back again straight away?

And we have played with keane up front chasing shadows for a very long time, so he can't really say he isnt suited to the game we are playing.

I still think Keane is great, but again you have to read a little bit more into things to get a true picture - unless roy is on hand to give the honest opinion as it suits him :)

When we have lost in the past he hasnt come out cursing in the heat of it regarldess of how poorly he has played, so his frustration is certainly a sign of something more than just his own short performance and sitting on the bench. The most important lesson to learn from this is to interview him straight after he has just come on towards the end and we lose, we will get a far more exciting interview from robbie than the normally bland monotone phrases being throw out.

PatJR
18/11/2014, 1:40 PM
And we have played with keane up front chasing shadows for a very long time, so he can't really say he isnt suited to the game we are playing.

Of course he can, take a look at his club career for starters. You think he scored 100 EPL goals chasing shadows? The fact he has scored some many in poor Irish teams over the years makes his achievements all the more impressive.

Anyway, the way we played the other night suits no striker on this planet!

paul_oshea
18/11/2014, 1:48 PM
That's not the point I am making PatJR.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 1:56 PM
Ok, Ok so forgetting what keane did or didnt say which I dont think you can, does anyone honestly think his 12 minutes or more precise 17 minutes cameo would have kept him happy after travelling all the way over from LA for a few days training and then back again straight away?

I still think Keane is great, but again you have to read a little bit more into things to get a true picture - unless roy is on hand to give the honest opinion as it suits him :)

When we have lost in the past he hasnt come out cursing in the heat of it regarldess of how poorly he has played, so his frustration is certainly a sign of something more than just his own short performance and sitting on the bench. The most important lesson to learn from this is to interview him straight after he has just come on towards the end and we lose, we will get a far more exciting interview from robbie than the normally bland monotone phrases being throw out.

As I said, I think he was miffed because he was dropped. Is this a shock to anyone?

I don't think he needs to be kept happy, I'd like to think he can deal with the annoyance and move on and I've seen no suggestion otherwise apart from a few emotive words that were understandable in context.

Everyone should be interviewed moments after the final whistle, just makes things more interesting.

Closed Account
18/11/2014, 2:04 PM
Stephen Ward has withdrawn from the Ireland squad to face @ussoccer (https://twitter.com/ussoccer) this eve in @AVIVAStadium (https://twitter.com/AVIVAStadium) due to a minor knock to the ankle. #IrlUSA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrlUSA?src=hash)

geysir
18/11/2014, 2:06 PM
Stephen Ward has withdrawn from the Ireland squad to face @ussoccer (https://twitter.com/ussoccer) this eve in @AVIVAStadium (https://twitter.com/AVIVAStadium) due to a minor knock to the ankle. #IrlUSA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/IrlUSA?src=hash)
That's Roy Keane again.

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2014, 2:11 PM
What's the point in this game? We're going to lose anyway.