PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V USA - Tuesday, 18th November 2014 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

elroy
18/11/2014, 8:21 PM
Don't think we should be playing Robbie Brady left back again any time soon

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 8:21 PM
The "current squad" on Wiki has Elliot discarded. If there's an official list somewhere, I'm not sure.

Good showing from McGoldrick. Great addition.

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:25 PM
OMG!!!

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 8:25 PM
Shay's still got it.

Aw, so unlucky for Long. That would have been an amazing goal.

Yes, good man, James!

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:26 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!! :excitement:

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 8:26 PM
Shane Long deserved better, that was a great run and hit.

The game has completely opened up, but entertaining stuff nonetheless.

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:27 PM
Longs run reminded me of that run from Gareth Bale, except Bales scored.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 8:28 PM
There's Elliot about to come on. Confirms he's in the squad at least anyway, ha. He should have started. Shay played well though.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 8:28 PM
There's Eliot now, he was hiding on you Danny.

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:29 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 8:30 PM
The Brady-for-Poland campaign starts here.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 8:30 PM
That was a goal.

back of the net
18/11/2014, 8:31 PM
The Brady-for-Poland campaign starts here.

Where do I sign?

BonnieShels
18/11/2014, 8:31 PM
That was a goal.

I believe that we can win.

ger121
18/11/2014, 8:32 PM
Cracking free and you had the feeling he'd score it too. Say what you like about him defensively but he certainly offers something going forward.

geysir
18/11/2014, 8:32 PM
Maybe we should sync our streams at the beginning of each half.

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:34 PM
Feeling a lot more positive than after the Scotland match :untroubled:

backstothewall
18/11/2014, 8:35 PM
Brady for Poland!

Edit: But not at left back

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:38 PM
the last team to beat usa by 3 was brazil (4-1) prior to that the usa beat scotland 5-1

26/05/2012
Jacksonville
USA (http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=usa/index.html)
5:1 (2:1)
Scotland (http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=sco/index.html)

30/05/2012
Washington Dc
USA (http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=usa/index.html)
1:4 (1:2)
Brazil (http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=bra/index.html)

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 8:39 PM
The American analyst for ESPN is pretty depressed. They're hammering their team for getting thrashed by an Irish second string.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 8:39 PM
Good win. Much better second half with plenty of positive play. Needed that after Friday. Should be a good morale-boost.

tricky_colour
18/11/2014, 8:40 PM
That is our best result for a long time, problem is they are not really the first team.

BonnieShels
18/11/2014, 8:44 PM
Us or them or both?

Win is a win. Delighted with the nature of that second half performance. Even if they got disjointed with the sub's.

Winning 2-1 would have been nice, 4-1 hammering is something we should be very happy with. Could've been six based on the last half hour.

paul_oshea
18/11/2014, 8:47 PM
Usa gave us loads of space coming out of defence didn't press high like Scotland. Still we moved the ball at feet and ran at them.we didn't blast it high we ran and it worked. Trust the players Mon.

Shays save was important he gave me a confidence in the back that forde doesn't and I don't think forde would habe saved it

nigel-harps1954
18/11/2014, 8:48 PM
So...........just go with the 11 from tonight against Poland? If they got four against USA reserves, surely they can score four against Poland.....

Couple of real positives though, however weak or strong the opposition are:

a) Cyrus Christie and David McGoldrick both had really good, solid debuts.
b) Robbie Brady is certainly an option at left back, the same sort of attacking option that Coleman brings.
c) Pearce and Clark looked much more solid than the two against Scotland, a nice headache to give O'Neill.
d) Shane Long has to be the first choice striker going forward. Despite Keanes goals, Long adds so much more to the forward line, and his strength and pace alone are very valuable to that Irish team.

geysir
18/11/2014, 8:50 PM
A good win, enjoyable game, some sprightly performances.
Reminiscent of our friendlies from a previous era, in Brian Kerr's time

paul_oshea
18/11/2014, 8:53 PM
Long very smart for McLeans goal.I didn't realise at first.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 8:57 PM
I'd be happy to see either Long or Keane start against Poland. Either one doesn't bother me, but they both have to have dynamic players around them to open up space.

It did strike me that Long seems to thrive more when he gets to burst into a game which is more fractured and where he can find more space. He almost seems tailor-made to be a super-sub sometimes.

I'd be very tempted to take the left-back risk with Brady, on the basis that he could give an extra dimension. If we're organised at the back, and he's given plenty of protection from McClean (or whoever), it might be enough to free him up to go forward. His set-pieces alone should give him a chance in the team.

Pearce and Clark did well, although with a couple of lapses here and there. Couple of crunchers from Clark, always welcome.

Meyler made up for his error for the goal with some purposeful challenges and closing down. Quinn did well too in the second half, and was getting forward more.

Christie looks a real player and McGoldrick got two assists - can't ask for much more. Pilkington did well too and took his goal fantastically.

Given made some good stops, although I still find it bizarre he's in the squad at all.

The only two who missed out were Murphy and Stokes. Murphy put in a good shift, but will be disappointed not to score. Stokes played ok in the first half, with some neat link-ups with Brady, but gave the ball away very easily repeatedly after the restart. Mitigation of playing out-of-position, but still it won't convince the naysayers.

Positives are there, but we exploited space that rarely to never exists in competitive internationals. We still to work on how we control possession for long spells and break down defences. But at least we showed pace, intent and ability tonight.

Bottle of Tonic
18/11/2014, 8:58 PM
As enjoyable a friendly as I have seen in memory. Not due to some fantastic display, but down to the pace of the game, the application from both sides and the desire to play the game, rather than the knock-it-about-but-i'd-rather-be-at-home attitude you often see for these games.

Firstly, you have to take to opposition into account with any decent win. America looked decent in spells, far better than us on occasion, but ultimately were found well short giving the ball away like sweets to babies and brittle enough to cave once we took a hold of the game early second half.

The Yanks had several good spells, nice combinations, found space in the famous 'hole' and were unlucky not to be 1-2 up at half time. A few decent shots could have gone in when the game was in the balance and we would not be drinking to 4-1 now.

Still, we utterly dominated second half and I have to give our second string credit for that. They showed desire, hung in there, took whatever fortune came our way and found the net 4 times which is what the game is all about. America could have had 4, but they didn't. They got one.

An enjoyable and strange game overall. Our seconds vs their seconds (or an inexperienced/experimental U.S XI?? I do not know their squad at all well). We had plusses in Christie who looks like a serious prospect but i am loathe to big up any player after one game, McGoldrick with some nice combination play, Brady showing his quality in the left boot……. A f**kin win at last…. Decent night.

And the Scots bubble burst (or at least expansion halted) by our pals in the three lions.

Jovial Rambler
18/11/2014, 8:59 PM
Ranking points anyhoo...

backstothewall
18/11/2014, 9:05 PM
That is our best result for a long time, problem is they are not really the first team.

I take the point, but is there a first team as such yet?

The guys i would imagine The O'Neill is sure of are Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, McGeady, McCarthy & Long. That leaves 5 shirts up for grabs.

A couple of guys put their hands up tonight, and there are places in the team to be won.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 9:08 PM
O'Neill very impressed with Christie after he got over some early nerves.

pineapple stu
18/11/2014, 9:10 PM
Can't really say O'Neill is sure of Long given he's only started one competitive game in fairness.

Agree on the others. Though you've miscounted - five shirts (and I'll argue Long, so six)

passinginterest
18/11/2014, 9:14 PM
Enjoyed that. First live Ireland senior international since I saw them play Russia in February 2002. Christie was very impressive, looked solid defensively and dangerous going forward. Brady is a bit weak defensible but his quality on the ball and set piece ability must make him a real option ahead of Ward. Two great assists from mcgoldrick but don't think he was that impressive overall. Meyler put in a shift but probably lucky not to have been carded earlier in the game and sloppy for the USA goal. Apart from the first 15 mins and a spell after they scored the USA never really looked overly dangerous. Can see why Clarke was so highly rated but he does still look to have a rash challenge and a fatal error or two in his game.

backstothewall
18/11/2014, 9:16 PM
I caught the counting error!

I wasn't sure about Long. But I think he has the edge on Walters at this stage. It's been Walters playing wide, and it was Long who came on tonight to get a goal.

I could be wrong though. It's happened before, usually with simple mathematics mind you!

I maybe should have included Marc Wilson as well

Stuttgart88
18/11/2014, 9:16 PM
Good win, but football is daft. Only Shay Given's big toe made a difference between 2-2 and the eventual 4-1. Key message for me is that outside the 11-13 usual suspects for a starting place a few others are worth considering. Getting the mix right is what a manager gets paid well to determine.

I think another TOWK bugbear has been put to bed tonight, namely that Pilkington isn't up to much. He was good against Italy, good again tonight and definitely an option.

Harsh to say Forde wouldn't have saved that chance. Who the F knows? It should never have been a chance in the fitst place. One can't intellectualise football too much. In any game each team will usually make 3 or 4 chances and make one or two dumb mistakes. Tonight we took a fair few chances and got away with the chances we conceded. I think we deserved it tonight. We tried proper football throughout, albeit under less pressure on the ball than on Friday.

Still, any of us who has played knows that if you beat the guy putting the pressure on space opens up for you to use. Pressure on the ball only counts if you win each battle.

Enjoyable and encouraging and it shows there is life outside the predictable picks.

Christie looks a serious dude of a player.

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/11/2014, 9:24 PM
Bugbear about Pilkington? I think he's a great option to have and I complimented his performance against Italy. Slow start in the competitive games aside.

Agreed RE: McGoldrick. Great assists and he could have got a couple more but overall he was quiet and you wonder how much of an impact he would have with less space, less time and better opposition.

Fantastic debut by Christie.

Long was a beast after coming on. His effort that hit the post would have been goal of the night if it went in.

Meyler was probably poorest on the night but everyone put in a good shift really.

Would worry about Clark & Pearce as much as Keogh in a competitive situation. More evidence that no nonsense Delaney should be in the squad. Hopefully O'Dea gets his career back on track with Blackpool.

Good to see Brady & McClean becoming more confident in front of goal.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 9:24 PM
Of course, Christie can play on the left too, he tells us.

Stuttgart88
18/11/2014, 9:25 PM
Did you not give out about Pilkington recently and the level he was playing at? Apologies if not.

TrapAPony
18/11/2014, 9:28 PM
Thought Given was quite good tonight. I would be more confident in him than I would in Forde.

DannyInvincible
18/11/2014, 9:31 PM
Could it not be something as benign as " my game is scoring goals as part of a pair upfront"? Which is perfectly true, in fairness.

It's so obviously what Robbie meant, there's not even an argument there. I'm rolling my eyes and shaking my head just reading some of the well-worn codology posted earlier in the thread. It's self-parody. Only a zombie or a fool could seriously think Robbie was slagging off his team-mates and throwing his toys out of the pram by those comments. Only a malicious swindler would try and convince others of it. A tiresome charade... :rolleyes:

geysir
18/11/2014, 9:32 PM
I'd be on suicide watch with Brady at left back, no effin way.
I'd much prefer McClean to be shoved backwards and Brady played where he can have real effect according to his natural ability.
We do not need to have 2 wingers (McGeady and McClean) on the team in a 4231 /4411 /451.
Maybe if you have 2 first class wingers then you can play them at the same time, but we don't.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 9:40 PM
I'd be on suicide watch with Brady at left back, no effin way.
I'd much prefer McClean to be shoved backwards and Brady played where he can have real effect according to his natural ability.
We do not need to have 2 wingers (McGeady and McClean) on the team in a 4231 /4411 /451.
Maybe if you have 2 first class wingers then you can play them at the same time, but we don't.

I'd roll the dice on it. McClean would be just as susceptible in that position and he's the number one protector of whatever shoddy left back we have, so feel like he could still sit in front and open up space for Brady to shoot into.

Brady and Christie? If Cyrus can play LB, it would be an unreal find.

mark12345
18/11/2014, 9:40 PM
Good man. You're the second person on here to call for McLean at left back (besides meself). Let's start a campaign. Ha Ha.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2014, 9:42 PM
Good man. You're the second person on here to call for McLean at left back (besides meself). Let's start a campaign. Ha Ha.

McClean looks like he has all the attributes, I know. But lest we forget Portugal (and as Derry fan, lest I forget the half-a-dozen times he played there for us).

geysir
18/11/2014, 9:44 PM
I'd roll the dice on it. McClean would be just as susceptible in that position and he's the number one protector of whatever shoddy left back we have, so feel like he could still sit in front and open up space for Brady to shoot into.

Brady and Christie? If Cyrus can play LB, it would be an unreal find.
I haven't a clue about McClean at LB but he can't be more of a risk than Brady can he? and Brady is much more the type of player we need at wide midfield.
It's left back or the subs bench for McClean, but play Brady in midfield.

Stuttgart88
18/11/2014, 9:47 PM
Yep. I fancied McClean at LB for a while but got put off after his cameo there against Costa Coffee didn't go well. He has the attributes.

Brady has a bit of quality about him. Only an Irish manager could find a way not to use him.

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2014, 10:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2wdp5FCUAAdM_I.jpg

A good point well made.

TrapAPony
18/11/2014, 10:04 PM
Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson and Christie is the defence we should have from now on.

Crosby87
18/11/2014, 10:30 PM
Did Rubio Rubin get in? US brass really think he is going to be a player. Only 18.