PDA

View Full Version : Kerr's selection policy

eirebhoy
14/11/2004, 6:55 PM
Has anyone noticed that there has been no official pull-outs of the squad for the Croatia game (Carr looks set to miss it though)? Everyone was giving out about Maybury, Barrett, etcetera being called up ahead of Delap and Harte. Is Kerr making an example of these players so others will be less inclined to withdraw with a small niggle? If Kerr felt these players were good enough for the team he'd most likely call them up but maybe he feels they wouldn't make the team and it is more beneficial in the long term for them to fight for their place in the squad.

We all thought Kerr had his favourites but now I don't see it that way.

Donal81
14/11/2004, 7:31 PM
Good point, sir, hadn't thought about that. Delap has pulled out of so many Irish squads at this stage, it's understandable that Kerr would weigh up the point in calling him up.

eirebhoy
14/11/2004, 8:33 PM
Just when I open up this thread Reid, Holland and Carr pull out. :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
14/11/2004, 8:39 PM
Any word of replacements?

Irish_Praha
14/11/2004, 9:30 PM
I'd doubt if there will be any replacements. There's still 21 players to choose from. Maybe if all three played in the same position we would need more cover but we have plenty of wingers to replace Reid, Finnan or Maybury can cover for Carr and we can surely make an OK CMF pairing out of Kilbane, Kav, Quinn and Miller.

thejollyrodger
15/11/2004, 10:30 AM
Kerr has said that there would be no replacements, he has enough of players to still choose from.

Good news though , Clinton Morrison is expected to return to Birminghams next match. Hopefully he is back to form!!

I think Kerr should start with Elliot and Keane up front.

dr_peepee
15/11/2004, 11:59 AM
Very good point Eirebhoy... :)

skbio_toronto
16/11/2004, 6:21 PM
Has anyone noticed that there has been no official pull-outs of the squad for the Croatia game (Carr looks set to miss it though)? Everyone was giving out about Maybury, Barrett, etcetera being called up ahead of Delap and Harte. Is Kerr making an example of these players so others will be less inclined to withdraw with a small niggle? If Kerr felt these players were good enough for the team he'd most likely call them up but maybe he feels they wouldn't make the team and it is more beneficial in the long term for them to fight for their place in the squad.

We all thought Kerr had his favourites but now I don't see it that way.

Personally, I would consider Brian Kerr way above sticking with his favourites ala McCarthy. Just read the Richard Dunne article on this message board, for example. Brian Kerr is a straight shooter, in my opinion, no heart on the sleeve b*lls*it which would have been my main criticism of McCarthy. (Though I would like to point out that McCarthy made a significant positive contribution to the senior team in the aftermath of the Chartlon era)

Suggesting that Kerr has his favourites is disingenuous, to say the least. (Though I acknowledge that it is not your current take)

Thats one man's view.

SKBIO-TOR

thejollyrodger
16/11/2004, 6:47 PM
I think Kerr has brought lots of players in I wouldnt say he has his favourites.