PDA

View Full Version : Almost half a page article on the College today in the Star

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 3:16 PM
Nice to see us get a mention. It was about how we have bounced back well despite some thinking we wouldn't do so and how we seem to have a good crop of youngsters coming up. Mahon said we will be looking to add one or two experienced players next year as well as promoting 1 or 2 U-21s.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 4:27 PM
Yes Poor Student saw that one.

It was written by Daniel McDonnell who did the match report which appeared in Friday's edition. He is from Dundalk so it all makes sense , that he was able to chat with Pete after the match in Oriel and go home afterwards to file the stories.

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 4:33 PM
It's the best eL coverage on a Sunday. Still crap but it's the best we get. The Rod gets a column to spout his rubbish. I reckon they actually gave more coverage before the EPL season started. Shameful really. As the season hots up they scale coverage back.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 4:49 PM
Poor student

Spot on once the Premiersh1t kicks in it all gets scaled back.

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 5:05 PM
I work in a newagents so I purposely scan all tabloids on a Sunday to assess eL coverage. If I recall correctly, the Star on Sunday had up to 4 pages of eL during July and August and the Sunday People had two pages. Now the Star has between 1-2 pages (1.5 today) and eL disappeared from the Sunday People. Sunday World dedicates about a side column to Shels and I reckon the Ireland on Sunday (only one with Ireland explicitly in its name) does not write anything of the eL at all. Practically all of the have no 1st Division table and some even no table at all. I only buy the Times during the week but I sometimes see the Herald and it gives the eL decent enough coverage. Dublin centric but then again it is a Dublin paper mainly. Our printed media just can't botherd to give us priority coverage. The eL in all but the Herald is well tucked in from the backpage too.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 5:31 PM
SUnday People used to employ a very nice Longford girl called Denise to supply their EL coverage. They let her go off the payroll a few weeks ago.

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 5:39 PM
SUnday People used to employ a very nice Longford girl called Denise to supply their EL coverage. They let her go off the payroll a few weeks ago.

Hmmmm. That could explain it. I mean it seems to have gone to absolutely nil mention from a decent couple of pages.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 5:44 PM
I work in a newagents so I purposely scan all tabloids on a Sunday to assess eL coverage. If I recall correctly, the Star on Sunday had up to 4 pages of eL during July and August and the Sunday People had two pages. Now the Star has between 1-2 pages (1.5 today) and eL disappeared from the Sunday People. Sunday World dedicates about a side column to Shels and I reckon the Ireland on Sunday (only one with Ireland explicitly in its name) does not write anything of the eL at all. Practically all of the have no 1st Division table and some even no table at all. I only buy the Times during the week but I sometimes see the Herald and it gives the eL decent enough coverage. Dublin centric but then again it is a Dublin paper mainly. Our printed media just can't botherd to give us priority coverage. The eL in all but the Herald is well tucked in from the backpage too.

Yes but the Herald is always waiting in the long grass for an EL **** up to stick on the front page.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 5:49 PM
Hmmmm. That could explain it. I mean it seems to have gone to absolutely nil mention from a decent couple of pages.

Denise to be fair has been a Longford Town fan for years and was very knowledgable about the EL and deserved her slot in print...... maybe I should become her agent :D

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 5:59 PM
'Yes but the Herald is always waiting in the long grass for an EL **** up to stick on the front page.'

True :mad:

'Denise to be fair has been a Longford Town fan for years and was very knowledgable about the EL and deserved her slot in print...... maybe I should become her agent :D '

Makes sense. As far as I can remember the quality was better than the Star. Little reports on all matches, not so Dublin centric as opposed to the Star being Shels weekly update and Rod's mouthpiece. Why was she let go? Taking up too much EPL room now it kicked off again?

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 9:52 PM
'Yes but the Herald is always waiting in the long grass for an EL **** up to stick on the front page.'

True :mad:

'Denise to be fair has been a Longford Town fan for years and was very knowledgable about the EL and deserved her slot in print...... maybe I should become her agent :D '

Makes sense. As far as I can remember the quality was better than the Star. Little reports on all matches, not so Dublin centric as opposed to the Star being Shels weekly update and Rod's mouthpiece. Why was she let go? Taking up too much EPL room now it kicked off again?

Something like that as far as I can remember. I must ask her next time I see her.