PDA

View Full Version : Are eL games good value?

pete
08/01/2002, 5:05 PM
Came across this a while ago....ticket prices for english third division games. We talking sterling here too! When you consider the eL to be better standard of play & dearest price would be 10euro seems like its cheap enough here?

Rank Club Adult Concessions
1st Oxford United * £17 £11
2nd Leyton Orient £16 £10
3rd= Luton Town £14 £8
Southend United £14 £8
5th= Carlisle United £13 £8
Rochdale £13 £7
7th= Hartlepool United £12 £6
Hull City £12 £6
Lincoln City £12 £8/£4
Mansfield Town £12 £6
11th= Bristol Rovers £11 £5.50
Cheltenham Town £11 £7/£3
S****horpe United £11 £2
Plymouth Argyle £11/£10 £9/£8
Rushden and Diamonds £11 £6/free
16th= Exeter City £10 £7
Halifax Town £10 £5
Kidderminster Harriers £10 £7
Macclesfield Town £10 £6
Shrewsbury Town £10 £6
Swansea City £10 £5
Torquay United £10 £7/£6
23rd York City £9 £6
24th Darlington £8 £5

Éanna
08/01/2002, 5:09 PM
yes. very good value.

Pablo
09/01/2002, 12:50 PM
well lads i am in a good position to comment over here. I have been to most Swansea City home games this season.

Atmosphere wise, facilities wise and all round standrd is superior to the EL. Unfortunate but its really appearent.

Hand on heart i wish it wasnt the case. And bear in mind Swansea are far from the best team in the 3rd division :(

The top 5 in the EL would probably just about survive in the 3rd division but i dont think they'd get near the play offs

pete
09/01/2002, 1:27 PM
If you were to go by last seasons pre-season friendlies of which i think almost all english third division teams lost all their games & 2nd division didn't fare too much better than the eL comes out way on top. I know they're only friendlies but the visiting teams would usually have a couple of weeks extra training by the time they travel to ireland.

I would appear no one under 6 feet plays in the english 3rd division & IMO the eL dispite worse pitches etc.... is far more skillful. I think the top 6 in the eL if had fulltime training would survive in the english 2nd division easily. Imagine how many goals Foran (not the top forward here last season) would score for a top 3rd divison side as against one of the worst?

Pablo
09/01/2002, 1:44 PM
belive me I am City through and through. but no.

pete
09/01/2002, 3:35 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
belive me I am City through and through. but no.

no as you not agree?

the 3rd division is a lot more physical than the eL you'd have to agree. Facilities obviously a lot better.

BTW any scraps at Swansea this season. Cardiff got huge thug element & don't think Swansea much better hence no surprise with reports from sundays FA Cup game.....

RamblersWeb
09/01/2002, 4:23 PM
I've seen some of Bournemouth's second division games this season.... and their's is a ground all eL clubs could try to emulate!

Aside from this, football wise Bournemouth would struggle in the Premier Division... though they would cakewalk the 1st Div. They are mid table in Div 2.

The top Div2 teams tho (Tranmere etc) are more like top of the eL Premier Div standard if not above.

Glen

Pablo
09/01/2002, 5:32 PM
but fitness counts. get the EL playing full time and then compare. untill then we cannot compete.

Schumi
10/01/2002, 2:48 PM
I'd say the top EL clubs could compete in the 2nd division but the bottom few in the Premier Division would struggle.

Pablo
10/01/2002, 3:50 PM
are UCD a top club Schumi?

SÓC
10/01/2002, 4:48 PM
Both Roddy and Foran have said that Bohs or Shels (both being pro) would walk the English 3rd Division, have it won before Christmas. Thats coming from a man who has managed in both and a man who has played in both.

Jim Smith
10/01/2002, 9:13 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Both Roddy and Foran have said that Bohs or Shels (both being pro) would walk the English 3rd Division, have it won before Christmas. Thats coming from a man who has managed in both and a man who has played in both.

Two more reliable sources you coudn't hope for :D Roddy is a real character but his public proclaimations are about as beleiveable as St. Pats claims that they sent that registration in and it got lost in the post...Foran's judgment is also questionalbe considering some of his antics.

Schumi
11/01/2002, 2:20 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
are UCD a top club Schumi?

We're a top half club :)

ccfcman
12/01/2002, 10:19 PM
MORE E-LEGAUE AND 3RD DIVISION FRIENDLIES METHINKS

Pablo
14/01/2002, 3:06 PM
well guys once again we are in the land of ifs and buts. "if" they were full time etc

the fact is at the moment they would struggle. no doubt about it. You cannot judge it on friendlies either. surely i dont have to say why guys?

I am a NL fan through and through but the facts are there......poor facilities, poorly run(marney) part-time football. No match for a pro set-up