PDA

View Full Version : Richie Towell

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Charlie Darwin
27/10/2014, 9:40 PM
I could have sworn he had a thread back when he was at Celtic but I can't find it.

On trial at Cardiff: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-richie-towell-meet-man-8006412

jinxy lilywhite
27/10/2014, 10:39 PM
Best of luck to him. He is an absolute gent and class pro.

At least I get to keep his towel

tricky_colour
27/10/2014, 11:07 PM
If we are reduced to playing player of his ability we might as well throw in the towel.

geysir
28/10/2014, 2:16 PM
Unfortunately for Dundalk's finances, his contract is up.
That article alludes to that Cardiff are already choc full with midfielders.

tricky_colour
28/10/2014, 9:44 PM
A lot of top football pundits are backing him, they have been saying Ireland should throw in the Towell for some time.

DannyInvincible
28/10/2014, 9:52 PM
I think it's about time you threw in the towel, tricky, if you're going to keep churning that one (terrible) out!

geysir
28/10/2014, 10:12 PM
Whats worse, an ebola outbreak in your town or Tricky mirthfully repeating a corny pun?

Charlie Darwin
28/10/2014, 10:14 PM
Lay off tricky. I admire his resilience to go back to a failed pun and put a new spin on it when many would have thrown in the... ahh here.

Closed Account
28/10/2014, 10:42 PM
I thought he was being a bit of a tuáille,

Fixer82
28/10/2014, 11:30 PM
He should be thrown in to the team, I believe that with every FIBRE of my being!!!
Save him for a rainy day even...

TheOneWhoKnocks
28/10/2014, 11:56 PM
Surely a good sign? Towell and Russell Slade at the Development side's game yesterday.

Charlie Darwin
29/10/2014, 12:00 AM
He'll never survive in Cardiff if he can't handle the cold.

TheOneWhoKnocks
29/10/2014, 12:07 AM
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-beat-premier-league-8006414

Cardiff beating off Premier League clubs in the race for his signature so a Towell may be needed.

“Richie is an attacking midfielder, a very athletic and fit lad. We’ve had him training and he’s found it pretty intense, to be honest,” said Slade.

“He’s got an eye for goal. I think he was in double figures from midfield for Dundalk as they won the title, so we are really looking forward to working with him.

"Premier League sides and other Championship sides have been monitoring him, but we’ve decided to dive in and he will play for us in a game with Chelsea.”

Crosby87
29/10/2014, 1:01 AM
Long Cox and Dick Towell for Ireland.

Charlie Darwin
29/10/2014, 1:11 AM
You already made that joke with Richie Ryan, Croso. Is this thread where tired puns come to die?

Crosby87
29/10/2014, 1:15 AM
No idea what you are alluding to, I think that should be our midfield.

tricky_colour
29/10/2014, 2:35 AM
The next thing that people will be saying is that Robbie Keane threw in the towel after his third attempt, but there is no need for it, we are better than that.

DeLorean
29/10/2014, 9:07 AM
I think it's about time you threw in the towel, tricky, if you're going to keep churning that one (terrible) out!

Haha, in fairness I think his first attempt deserved a 'Thanks', but I didn't want to look like I was agreeing with Towell's lack of quality.

DeLorean
29/10/2014, 9:14 AM
You already made that joke with Richie Ryan, Croso. Is this thread where tired puns come to die?

Could this replace Conor Sammon's pun thread? Maybe we could combined the two?

http://www.cutest-baby-shower-ideas.com/images/fish-and-soap-towel-for-spa-party-21318268.jpg

Acornvilla
30/10/2014, 2:37 PM
Cardiff won 2-1 v Chelsea's u21's today, no idea how Richie did, but he was meant to be playing!

ArdeeBhoy
30/10/2014, 3:04 PM
This whole thread is a load of flannel...

Charlie Darwin
30/10/2014, 3:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1NKh_9CUAAdehw.jpg

Stuttgart88
30/10/2014, 3:59 PM
At least he's used to that type of attendance :)

The Donie Forde
30/10/2014, 5:41 PM
Surely a good sign? Towell and Russell Slade at the Development side's game yesterday.

For a moment, thought Soccer Republic had sent Dave Barry over to do a special report...

colonelwest
31/10/2014, 1:16 PM
He supposedly played 85mins, no idea how he got on though. Dundalk will be entitled to compo as he was under 23,at the club for 2 years & got offered a new deal before the old one was up, not that it would be that big of an amount of compo either way.

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2015, 8:31 AM
I guess he gets a thread here (and an inevitable call up to the Irish squad) now that his move to Brighton is confirmed?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1130/750143-richie-towell-signs-for-championship-leaders/

DeLorean
30/11/2015, 8:41 AM
Are you Tricky in disguise (http://foot.ie/threads/195254-Richie-Towell/page2?highlight=richie+towell) :)

OwlsFan
30/11/2015, 9:07 AM
I guess he gets a thread here (and an inevitable call up to the Irish squad) now that his move to Brighton is confirmed?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1130/750143-richie-towell-signs-for-championship-leaders/

Paul Corry got a thread but no call up I am afraid. Big step up to the higher reaches of the Championship. Fingers crossed.

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2015, 9:17 AM
Are you Tricky in disguise (http://foot.ie/threads/195254-Richie-Towell/page2?highlight=richie+towell) :)

Damn. I should have searched, but alas, I did not.

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2015, 9:17 AM
Paul Corry got a thread but no call up I am afraid. Big step up to the higher reaches of the Championship. Fingers crossed.

In fairness, Richie Towell is ten times the player of Paul Corry.

tetsujin1979
30/11/2015, 11:43 AM
posts moved

Stuttgart88
30/11/2015, 12:05 PM
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-irish-midfielder-richie-towell-2826588.aspx

I thought he was a forward, no?

tetsujin1979
30/11/2015, 12:28 PM
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-irish-midfielder-richie-towell-2826588.aspx

I thought he was a forward, no?

nope, midfielder. scores as many as a forward though

Olé Olé
30/11/2015, 9:57 PM
What do the seasoned LOI supporters think of his chances? I've only seen him the odd time I'm sitting down watching telly and there's a Dundalk match on and he's clearly a very impressive footballer. I've heard discussion before that suggests the Dundalk side was built around him and gave him every opportunity to prosper. I find it interesting that he was right back at Hibs and is now a free-scoring midfielder. Will he go to Brighton as a number 10 or a number 8?

D24Saint
30/11/2015, 10:01 PM
Has a decent chance on making the squad as for the team I'd say he is too attacking for MON.

osarusan
30/11/2015, 10:29 PM
Lets wait and see how he does against a better standard of opposition. I think it's a pretty good transfer for him though.

Stuttgart88
01/12/2015, 7:30 AM
the42.ie has a youtube collage of all his 25 goals last season. Worth watching.

As I was clearly unaware that he was a midfielder yesterday (I assumed due to his sheer number of goals he was a forward) maybe my view isn't to be taken too seriously, but he looks very much like he has Frank Lampard's ability to arrive in advanced positions unmarked and an equally Lampard-like ability to find the net from 15-23 yards. Crisp, accurate first time shooting. Good technique too in a few volleyed side footers, keeping the ball down well.

That's an amazing asset to have.

DeLorean
01/12/2015, 8:58 AM
That video is also on the Brighton site that Tets linked above. Brighton are still unbeaten which is phenomenal really given the nature of the Championship, particularly remarkable considering they were pretty poor last season. I'd still have them as outsiders for automatic from what I have seen, I'd say the top two will be between Hull, Middlesbrough, Derby and Burnley. I see they have loaned James Wilson from Manchester United too though, you'd imagine he should be fairly prolific at that level if he has any real aspirations of making the grade at Old Trafford. Towell will really have to hit the ground running to have any hope of regular football there this season, it's so difficult to gauge the level he's actually at. Being the best player in the LOI doesn't necessarily mean he has the best chance to make it over there, some players are just better suited to making these transitions. Best of luck to him.

DannyInvincible
01/12/2015, 10:43 AM
the42.ie has a youtube collage of all his 25 goals last season. Worth watching.

This the one?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzmQpGiyGN0

DannyInvincible
01/12/2015, 10:49 AM
Lets wait and see how he does against a better standard of opposition. I think it's a pretty good transfer for him though.

Excellent move for him and it paid off staying in the LOI for another year. If it works out for him, there's a massive chance he'll be playing EPL football in just over half a year's time.

geysir
01/12/2015, 11:46 AM
No doubt his 3 seasons with Dundalk have made the man.

He's a tough, versatile, technically proficient footballer with a strong work ethic. He has more than enough of the necessary essentials in order to play at championship level now. He's ambitious and who knows what direction his career will progress in. He has to adapt to the club, his family have to adapt to Brighton etc etc.

Olé Olé
01/12/2015, 1:28 PM
No doubt his 3 seasons with Dundalk have made the man.

He's a tough, versatile, technically proficient footballer with a strong work ethic. He has more than enough of the necessary essentials in order to play at championship level now. He's ambitious and who knows what direction his career will progress in. He has to adapt to the club, his family have to adapt to Brighton etc etc.

Spoke a lot recently about how his girlfriend is expecting a child and that's going to impact heavily on his decision. Also mentioned he's buying a house which I'd have thought would be a big move, comparative to the wages players in the English leagues are on.

Brighton's a nice town and Championship wages are probably more than sufficient for mortgage repayments so those two things have been as well addressed as possible, it seems from the outside looking in.

He's aiming to make his mark in January. Given his conditioning and a very short break after his season here, you would imagine it's well set up for him to do so. If the rest of the season drifts by without him making an impact and Brighton get promoted then he faces a real uphill battle.

elroy
01/12/2015, 8:41 PM
Would have liked him to stay one more year and allow Dundalk to have a real go at the European competitions. They did well this year considering the draw they got. This Dundalk are one of the biggest the LOI have produced for a long time. Up there with the Shels team that pushed Deportivo very close.

Brighton fans seem happy with the signing but not convinced that he'll make the XI.

Olé Olé
01/12/2015, 11:07 PM
Would have liked him to stay one more year and allow Dundalk to have a real go at the European competitions. They did well this year considering the draw they got. This Dundalk are one of the biggest the LOI have produced for a long time. Up there with the Shels team that pushed Deportivo very close.

Brighton fans seem happy with the signing but not convinced that he'll make the XI.

Dale Stephens and Beram Kayal seems to be their current midfield partnership. Kayal had some good spurts with Celtic and I liked him any time I saw him. Seemed to have a controlled aggression and decent range of passing. Don't know much about Dale Stephens but a quick look at his former clubs (Bury, Oldham, Charlton) tells me that Towell would really need to be dislodging him anyway if he wanted to come near making an impression at international level.

So, it's unlikely either is the best midfielder in the Championship. Go get 'em, Richie.

DeLorean
02/12/2015, 7:53 AM
They've been good enough to get them top of the league all the same. What (midfield) position did Towell play for Dundalk? Did they have a two man midfield with him playing further forward supporting the striker, or was he actually part of a two man midfield? Surely the former given his goal record?

geysir
02/12/2015, 10:20 AM
He can play in any central midfield role. When he played in front of the back 4 he could dictate the play and he can play a more forward role support the striker. He has boundless energy and many of his goals were gained from making those runs time and time again, to be in a position to receive the assist. He has a striker's instinct and a robbie keane like, cocky confidence in his own ability. And put all that with the sublime skill to score a goal like this against Bray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clswLBmBMXU

The Donie Forde
02/12/2015, 10:28 AM
Always struck me that he had more or less a free role with Dundalk. Don't think I can recall any LOI player ever expressing so much confidence in his own ability. Think he'll have a proper crack off of it at Brighton. Hope he does well.

DeLorean
02/12/2015, 10:48 AM
He can play in any central midfield role. When he played in front of the back 4 he could dictate the play and he can play a more forward role support the striker. He has boundless energy and many of his goals were gained from making those runs time and time again, to be in a position to receive the assist.

So did Dundalk change their system from time to time or did they just change Towell's role within their system?

geysir
02/12/2015, 6:26 PM
So did Dundalk change their system from time to time or did they just change Towell's role within their system?
He's no Gylfi Sigurdsson, not yet anyway.

Dundalk were head and shoulders over every other team in the league but oft times they had to scrap against teams playing deep or hunting for the late winner against wilting teams and of course Richie stayed upfront. But from my observations, he makes his biggest impact playing deep, controlling the game and running forward at will, but Dundalk had two other central midfielders which freed Richie. I think this role suits a cautious Hughton down to the ground, he could be thinking to play Richie alongside 2 other CMs, Kayal (a seriously underrated CM when fit) and a n other.

Charlie Darwin
05/12/2015, 2:01 AM
He can play in any central midfield role. When he played in front of the back 4 he could dictate the play and he can play a more forward role support the striker. He has boundless energy and many of his goals were gained from making those runs time and time again, to be in a position to receive the assist. He has a striker's instinct and a robbie keane like, cocky confidence in his own ability. And put all that with the sublime skill to score a goal like this against Bray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clswLBmBMXU
Can't recall Towell ever playing in front of the back four. That was always either Sheilds or O'Donnell, or both. Towell played a mixture of a roaming role in the middle and further up behind the striker, but in most cases had free reign to pick up possession anywhere and set the tempo.