PDA

View Full Version : question to every club supporter.

padjoe
13/11/2004, 9:36 PM
hey everyone,

could you please tell me which clubs lost moneyn last year in the league in their end of year turnover. is it through kilkenny city were the only ones out of both divisions to be in the black, and is it through cork city, reportedly, the most supported club in the country lost 60,000 euro despite high merchandise sales or is this only a false statement. i have heard brian lennox deny it but still the rumour lingers. this is a sincere post not trying to rub any one up the wrong way. i haven't read noel spillane for a number of weeks as i'm in dublin.
cheers i want to hear about all clubs thanks.

Stevo Da Gull
13/11/2004, 10:26 PM
From what I know(not much), I think we were about even- kept within the budget + all. But at the same time- no profit. (I could be well off though)

I think yar right about the Kilkenny thing- I read In either our or their programme that it was a propsperous year for them off the pitch last year.

Dr.Nightdub
14/11/2004, 1:56 PM
We defo lost money in 2003, from memory Andy O'Callaghan told us that is was about €150k but the previous season (i.e. Dolan's last) it was even worse than that.

eoinh
14/11/2004, 2:00 PM
well i would imagine that shels would have had to make money this season.

Teams like bohs who are owned by members would be quite easy to find out about as all members have to be given details on the financial accounts.

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 4:01 PM
Dunno about UCD's finances, someone like Bald Student would be good for that but we tend run a tight ship I doubt we were in the red. I think it's common knowledge it's been a bad year for Bohs and there will be some big scaling back this (was typing summer :eek: ) winter.

Carlin
14/11/2004, 6:14 PM
I think it's fair to say we lost a few quid this season :(

4tothefloor
14/11/2004, 6:39 PM
Kilkenny have all the purties, yet no fans, a crap team and not much hope of that changing in the future. Kilkenny is GAA\farmer country, the general public have absolutely no interest in watching LoI football. If there was ever an example of 'Pi$$ing against the wind', it's Kilkenny "City"...

eoinh
14/11/2004, 6:41 PM
We defo lost money in 2003, from memory Andy O'Callaghan told us that is was about €150k but the previous season (i.e. Dolan's last) it was even worse than that.

How can you sustain that? :confused:

Dr.Nightdub
14/11/2004, 7:33 PM
Easy: we can't. Hence letting go big-earners like Bird and Ndo (with others to follow during the close season e.g. Karim, Jimmy Lee Jones, Chris Adamson), putting a form of wage cap in place, cutting back on the number of free match tickets given out, laying off some of the office staff and negotiating a schedule with the Revenue for paying off the accumulated back taxes in instalments. On the other side, setting up a monthly bond draw, running forecast coupons, race nights, nights out at the greyhounds.

In other words, living in the real world, not financial cloud cuckoo land.

dcfcsteve
14/11/2004, 7:41 PM
Someone a bit closer to the Club would need to confirm this, but I'm fairly sure Derry City were in the black last year. The year before we were substantially in the black (approx £160,000, from rusty memory).

Longfordian
14/11/2004, 9:10 PM
I'm fairly sure we broke even this season but not 100% on that

Cosmo
15/11/2004, 7:40 AM
Monaghan??

Great set up there - dont seem to spend what they dont have and have a steady income in lotto and income from the pub.

Mr_T
15/11/2004, 7:43 AM
Finn Harps FC made an operating profit for the past three seasons running.

Since courting financial disaster a few years ago we have been running one of the tightest ships in the league budget wise.

Partizan
15/11/2004, 10:20 AM
Waterford United PLC. recently held their AGM and it was reported to the shareholders present that the Club's debt now stands at approx €40k.

eoinh
15/11/2004, 11:09 AM
Is the talk then of impending financial disaster for LOI clubs then just rubbish?

Most of what has been presented here is quite optimistic.

When you compare this to most other countries around europe its actually very good.

clownboy
15/11/2004, 11:21 AM
Kilkenny have all the purties, yet no fans, a crap team and not much hope of that changing in the future. Kilkenny is GAA\farmer country, the general public have absolutely no interest in watching LoI football. If there was ever an example of 'Pi$$ing against the wind', it's Kilkenny "City"...

Talk about the Pot calling the Kettle Black Arse...No interest in Limerick either

Maynard
15/11/2004, 5:31 PM
I think it's fair to say that this hasn't been a great finnancial year for us :o

Partizan
15/11/2004, 6:24 PM
I think it's fair to say that this hasn't been a great finnancial year for us :o

That would be an understatement Maynard :D

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 6:28 PM

Apparently just 60 went to your game v Cobh. :rolleyes:

Bald Student
15/11/2004, 7:05 PM
I don't have any exact numbers for UCD but you can be fairly sure that the club broke even on a turnover of about 250,000 euro and has no debts.

Pablo
15/11/2004, 7:27 PM
what with big sponsership deals, and reasonably healthy merchandise and crowds i'd be suprised if we were running at a loss

yur man
15/11/2004, 7:30 PM
havent we got a big debt that they are clearing?

if thats true, does anybody know how big it is?

tippman
15/11/2004, 8:24 PM

:rolleyes:
Limerick don't even have an away kit FFS

padjoe
16/11/2004, 8:29 AM
so would reports saying that kilkenny city are the only ones who stayed in the black a load bull? can you please clarify what the problems at bohs are i never fully understood.

NY Hoop
16/11/2004, 10:19 AM
can you please clarify what the problems at bohs are i never fully understood.[/QUOTE]

:D :D Dreadful support for one. Believe Galway are getting their finances in order.

As for cork well doing well at the moment and think they can win the league friday but dolan is well known for tying players down to huge contracts so the good times have to keep coming.

As for Rovers well if you dont consider the €8m blown on the stadium so far :(

KOH

Lim till i die
16/11/2004, 10:35 AM
:rolleyes:
Limerick don't even have an away kit FFS

Quite a nice White one actually as it turns out you mite want to purchase one what with us being ur local eircom league club...tosser :rolleyes:

Back on topic can anyone explain how Cork are in the red i thought Nissan were payin out huge money :confused:

jfogarty
16/11/2004, 5:56 PM
Easy: we can't. Hence letting go big-earners like Bird and Ndo (with others to follow during the close season e.g. Karim, Jimmy Lee Jones, Chris Adamson), putting a form of wage cap in place, cutting back on the number of free match tickets given out, laying off some of the office staff and negotiating a schedule with the Revenue for paying off the accumulated back taxes in instalments. On the other side, setting up a monthly bond draw, running forecast coupons, race nights, nights out at the greyhounds.

In other words, living in the real world, not financial cloud cuckoo land.

Hopefully we will get a 3 year+ sponsorship deal in the coming weeks. This and the ongoing fundraising schemes will bring greater stability to the club
With the over rated big money earners gone and players like Doyle, Fahy, Quigo,Foley,OKeefe and Caffrey with more to come Im looking forward to next season

Hopefully every side will survive over the winter

padjoe
27/11/2004, 10:42 AM
has anyone else got anything to add to this or any other financial situation at any club.

Passive
27/11/2004, 11:07 AM
The idiots guide to the financial situation at Rovers:

Take the entire third world debt, add in what Elton John spends on flowers, multiply that by the money Oily Byrne spends on lawyers, add that to the accumaltive cost of Liz Taylor's wedding receptions, together with George Best's bar tab and David Beckham's hair dresser bill and that would give you a rough outline of what we owe.

Of course, we'll be grand when we get to Tallaght :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
27/11/2004, 3:51 PM

Take the entire third world debt, add in what Elton John spends on flowers, multiply that by the money Oily Byrne spends on lawyers, add that to the accumaltive cost of Liz Taylor's wedding receptions, together with George Best's bar tab and David Beckham's hair dresser bill and that would give you a rough outline of what we owe.

Of course, we'll be grand when we get to Tallaght :rolleyes:

Not wishing to slag Rovers at all but the facts are almost as above.

One big advantge and some other differences other clubs have over Rovers and Dublin City

1/ Perimeter advertising: Every club that either owns their own ground or rents from a rugby club etc has access to this source of revenue... ROvers do not

2/ Gate receipts: Every club that owns its ground keeps the gate receipts and pays some of its bills with the takings. Rovers have to hand over a chunk of this to St.Patrick's Athletic, for renting the stadium of light, and then get to do the above. Financially Rovers have one hand tied behind their back and are limping on match days.
Tallaght will remove these handicaps

pete
01/12/2004, 1:46 PM
Clubs that were in europe probably won't get their money from uefa til may-june 2005 so maybe if cork city had that cash now they'd be around even.

max power
01/12/2004, 2:04 PM
i know that we have been very static on the whole marketing and sponsorship side of things. but next season we will do better and hopfully with europe and the setanta cup we can make a profit, fingers crossed.

mypost
04/12/2004, 4:26 AM

I think it's safe to say that us and Limerick, (the two clubs who don't have their own ground, and the clubs who initially received no licence) are high up in the lost money this season stakes. :rolleyes:

In fact if we at Rovers have saved any money at all this season, or last season, or the season before that, or..., it's a miracle.