PDA

View Full Version : Relegation Showdown

Pages : [1] 2

ATFC-1887
20/10/2014, 8:00 PM
A full topic for this. Never mind the title. Its the relegation scrap where its at. Seriously though. We are screwed. UCD will beat Drogs

MOD EDIT:

UCD 22 points
Athlone 21 points

Athlone V Bray
UCD V Drogheda

El-Pietro
20/10/2014, 8:03 PM
UCD are really rubbish. Forget the Derry result, Derry have been focusing on the cup for months now (grumble grumble) and UCD have a ridiculous record in Derry. Win against Bray and you're fine, draw and Bray and you're probably fine.

You're a very decent side, and I honestly can't believe you are still down there.

ATFC-1887
20/10/2014, 8:16 PM
Either can i. We have been far better since Long came in and were very unlucky against some of the big teams. That will make it all the worse if we go down. I could accept it if we were rubbish. But were not.

outspoken
20/10/2014, 9:30 PM
Either can i. We have been far better since Long came in and were very unlucky against some of the big teams. That will make it all the worse if we go down. I could accept it if we were rubbish. But were not.

Bray are as good as safe, little to play for. Your at home and coming in off the back of a HUGE win against the champions. Athlone clear favourites to stay up (until the play offs anyway) over UCD.

Bosco
21/10/2014, 10:04 AM
Not sure how UCD have gone from being without doubt the worst team in the league to being certs against Drogheda. I also think Athlone are in a stronger position.

Can see both games ending 0-0.

Mr A
21/10/2014, 10:06 AM
Gave this its own thread rather than having it cluttering up the other one. Not sure why this wasn't done in the first place rather than just complaining about the other thread.

De Town
21/10/2014, 10:08 AM
Nah UCD aren't winning 2 games in a row. They're hopeless. Think Athlone will get the playoff spot myself, but I'd fancy Galway to beat them. They'd be 2 great games though that should draw big crowds. Will probably go to the second leg if it is between Galway and Athlone.

White Horse
21/10/2014, 10:09 AM
Drogheda have been on their holidays for a month, I couldn't imagine an easier way for a woeful UCD to play in their last game of the season. I'd really feel for Athlone if they went down.

My prediction is that Athlone do enough to get off the bottom sport.

JC_GUFC
21/10/2014, 10:37 AM
I think they'll both win. Drogheda have been poor enough of late.

I think Athlone would win the Playoff if they got in to it but would fancy our chances against UCD, if we finish the job against Shels.

In saying that Galway v Athlone would be massive matches, hopefully Setanta would show them as there would be well over 2000 at both games. Possibly pushing 3k in the game in Galway.

EAFC_rdfl
21/10/2014, 10:45 AM
what's the schedule for the playoffs between 2nd bottom & 1st division playoff winners? no sign of it on extratime.ie or rte.ie

EAFC_rdfl
21/10/2014, 10:48 AM
ok, found it on the other thread - http://foot.ie/threads/194475-Promotion-Relegation-Play-Offs-2014?p=1782115&viewfull=1#post1782115

Mon 27th & Fri 31st it seems

Guitd
21/10/2014, 10:58 AM
what's the schedule for the playoffs between 2nd bottom & 1st division playoff winners? no sign of it on extratime.ie or rte.ie

Mon 27th Oct 2nd from bottom premier team V WINNERS 1ST DIV PLAY OFF 7.45PM

Fri 31 OCT WINNERS 1sT DIV PLAYOFF V 2nd from bottom premier team 7.45PM

D24Saint
21/10/2014, 11:02 AM
Would love to get rid of UCD, if it came to Athlone v Galway id be neutral (almost everybody in Ireland loves shop street :D)

Longfordian
21/10/2014, 11:05 AM
Normally I'd be pleased to see Athlone suffering but a Premier Division rivalry could be a bit of fun. I like going to Galway though, and UCD is an away I can get to at least, living in Dublin.

White Horse
21/10/2014, 11:20 AM
Normally I'd be pleased to see Athlone suffering but a Premier Division rivalry could be a bit of fun.

It's also good for the finances.

Longfordian
21/10/2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah, that too. Was always worth a few quid in the First.

Roo69
21/10/2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah, that too. Was always worth a few quid in the First.

It's so boring not having our end of season relegation/promotion play off not to look forward to :(

ATFC-1887
21/10/2014, 12:28 PM
Gave this its own thread rather than having it cluttering up the other one. Not sure why this wasn't done in the first place rather than just complaining about the other thread.
i was quite clearly joking

ger121
21/10/2014, 12:29 PM
It's so boring not having our end of season relegation/promotion play off not to look forward to :(

Don't worry, I'm sure normal service will be resumed next season:p

pineapple stu
21/10/2014, 12:39 PM
UCD are really rubbish. Forget the Derry result, Derry have been focusing on the cup for months now (grumble grumble) and UCD have a ridiculous record in Derry.
Not so sure you can dismiss the Derry result that easily. I suspect the manager being suspended (as he is this week) may have had an impact.

Drogheda at home is about the best we could have hoped for on the last day; beat them already in the Bowl this season, and they're long since in end of season mood.

Still, Athlone have been last literally since day one, and I guess it'd be appropriate in a way if they stayed up!

Though I suspect the First Division team has a good shot at winning the play-off this year regardless.

outspoken
21/10/2014, 1:58 PM
Not so sure you can dismiss the Derry result that easily. I suspect the manager being suspended (as he is this week) may have had an impact.

Drogheda at home is about the best we could have hoped for on the last day; beat them already in the Bowl this season, and they're long since in end of season mood.

Still, Athlone have been last literally since day one, and I guess it'd be appropriate in a way if they stayed up!

Though I suspect the First Division team has a good shot at winning the play-off this year regardless.

The gulf in class between premier and first all season long really is substantial so I think should athlone get into the play offs you'd have to just fancy them to see of galway over 2 legs but UCD have been woeful all season and would be coming into the play offs in no form at all bar that result in Derry plus galway will have more fans than UCD at both games so I'm sure that's the result galway are hoping for this weekend.

Hitman
22/10/2014, 9:20 AM
Objection

Sallynoggin schoolboy club St Joseph’s Boys, meanwhile, have confirmed that they have contacted the FAI with a view to objecting to Bray Wanderers’ license to play in the premier division next season because of monies they say they are owed by the county Wicklow club.

As if any relegation in this league could be straightforward.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/dundalk-and-cork-city-lock-horns-in-title-showdown-1.1971858

Longfordian
22/10/2014, 9:33 AM
They owe a fair whack to current employees too apparently but you'd imagine they'll do a deal with them.

Mr A
22/10/2014, 9:50 AM
It would be somewhat ironic if Bray, having been saved from relegation by imploding clubs on more than one occasion, were to save another club by imploding in a season they avoided relegation on the field.

Indo story:
Bray Wanderer's future under threat over rising debt (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bray-wanderers-future-under-threat-over-rising-debt-30683421.html)

ger121
22/10/2014, 1:05 PM

Be careful what you wish for Roo69. Joeys are coming to get you!

outspoken
22/10/2014, 1:10 PM
41k is a far whack, very worrying.

Mr A
22/10/2014, 1:27 PM
You'd expect St Joseph's to accept some form of payment plan. If Bray go under they get nada. Similarly with playing staff owed money (if any). But those are big sums and will make next season very difficult at a minimum.

KeepersBall
23/10/2014, 11:15 PM
Isn't a certain former Bray boss involved with Joeys. Just saying like.
By the way Drogheda are starting an inexperienced, and not very good 18 year old ' keeper, Dylan Connolly tomorrow night

ATFC-1887
23/10/2014, 11:35 PM
By the way Drogheda are starting an inexperienced, and not very good 18 year old ' keeper, Dylan Connolly tomorrow night

Great.....

davidatrb
24/10/2014, 10:24 AM
Athlone have scored more than both Bray and UCD. They have also conceded less than both! Their goals and clean sheets just came when they didn't need them. Would be disappointing for them to go down. They "should" have 9 or 10 more points than they do.

They didnt turn enough "close" matches into wins and turned too many draws into defeats.

The record of bottom three teams in "close" matches.

Bray games won by a single goal: 3
lost by a single goal: 5
drew: 10

Athlone games won by a single goal: 0
lost by a single goal: 9
drew: 9

UCD games won by a single goal: 4
lost by a single goal: 5
drew: 7

Darklordsbane
24/10/2014, 1:11 PM
From what I heard around Bray last week, it's not just this years player that are owed money some players still not paid sinse last year

Nesta99
24/10/2014, 2:20 PM
From what I heard around Bray last week, it's not just this years player that are owed money some players still not paid sinse last year

Yet they got a Premier licence - now which is likely to be closest to realty, licence panel fudged Brays successful application or players from a previous year are stlll owed wages, tbh it's too hard to call!!

Mr A
24/10/2014, 2:29 PM
As long as those owed money from previous years sign off on it it's not a problem.

Terry
24/10/2014, 8:55 PM
Hard luck to Athlone, they gave it a go over the past 10 games, but it just wasn't enough.

Hopefully now we will keep our momentum up and send down UCD next week.

pineapple stu
24/10/2014, 9:01 PM
Have to be something special to get one point from the first ten games and stay up. Bit like us la st season. :)

Shame for Athlone though; would have been nice to see if they could grow after so many seasons in the doldrums. Hope they come straight back up.

Random stat - we've win five games all season. Our manager's been suspended for four of them. He's suspended for Monday too

Paddyfield
24/10/2014, 9:58 PM
Random stat - we've win five games all season. Our manager's been suspended for four of them. He's suspended for Monday too

Our manager is suspended for Monday too! Is this a first? Opposing managers banned for the same game?

wonder88
24/10/2014, 10:01 PM
Game in Belfield next monday I think.Not sure if I have been back there since Galway 1 nil win with Jeff Kenna the manager, great night. Could the fixture not be put back another day or two? Imagine if Shamrock R had to travel up to Derry twice in 3 days, poor Pat Fenlon would be livid.

D24Saint
24/10/2014, 10:07 PM
with Jeff Kenna the manager

That name is the Inchicore equivalent of Beatlejuice.

gufc2000
24/10/2014, 10:27 PM
Hard luck Athlone. Been very competitive since Keith Long came in and probably could have won more games. Ultimately the wretched start to the season cost them.

Interesting to see that Rico was late for the match in Belfield, any particular reason for this?

D24Saint
24/10/2014, 11:49 PM
If a Galway fan has a spare scarf on Monday ill take it, hope they get rid of UC-bleeding-D.

pineapple stu
25/10/2014, 12:31 AM
Not sure if I have been back there since Galway 1 nil win with Jeff Kenna the manager, great night.
I shouldn't encourage ye, but...

v502cxCF5OQ

Straightstory
25/10/2014, 9:35 AM
You can always back Drogheda to lose to UCD. Really, really hope that Galway can get promoted now.

legendz
25/10/2014, 10:43 AM
I hope to see Galway in the Premier next year. Great city to go out in. The league needs the 4 large urban areas in the Premier. Their manager has brought up Cork before. I'm sure he'll see out the job here but UCD will be a difficult opponent for them no doubt.

Terry
25/10/2014, 11:06 AM
We will be taking nothing for granted but will not change our style of play, attack. We knocked UCD out of the FAI cup this year already, in Dublin 3-1 and were a much weaker team then. We have a good momentum going into this, having not lost since the 8th of august so hopefully that will make us stronger. For any Dublin based fans going to the game, I'm sure there will be merchandise available on the night. Last chance to get some Galway FC hats, scarfs etc before we revert back to officially being called Galway United FC again. Gaillimh Abu.

pineapple stu
25/10/2014, 11:24 AM
We will be taking nothing for granted but will not change our style of play, attack. We knocked UCD out of the FAI cup this year already, in Dublin 3-1 and were a much weaker team then.
In fairness, our goal that day was scored by an injured player who had come off the bench which we still couldn't fill - we were just that short of options. We'll be stronger than that next week, with our own bit of momentum.

That said, I think Galway are favourites, and we would rather have played Shels.

But sure we'll see how it goes. After the past few weeks, we have to be happy to have two more games really.

Charlie Darwin
25/10/2014, 1:29 PM
We will be taking nothing for granted but will not change our style of play, attack.
Hang on. Tommy Dunne's your manager?

Martinho II
25/10/2014, 2:02 PM
didnt know that Pat Devlin is with St Josephs but I know with LTFC that we have to thank Bray for their fin difficulties otherwise we would never have got Kevin O Connor who scored a superb goal v Shels in Tolka earlier the last season!

Terry
25/10/2014, 2:28 PM
Shocking isn't it. But we are playing beautiful football, on the ground, quick 1, 2 touches and always going forward.

Charlie Darwin
25/10/2014, 2:36 PM
Shocking isn't it. But we are playing beautiful football, on the ground, quick 1, 2 touches and always going forward.
Mad stuff. To be fair, if UCD ignore their coach they're as capable as anyone of playing that game.

wonder88
25/10/2014, 7:36 PM
Galway have been playing a nice style of play; keeper often rolling the ball out to build from the back and plenty of short passing etc.
Maybe sometimes Dunne often has one man too isolated up front with the 5 in midfield he likes to play, but still nice to watch. Have to say there has not been as much longball tactics in the 1st division this year(of what I have seen) as I expected.