PDA

View Full Version : Can Anybody Confirm This?

Fair_play_boy
13/11/2004, 11:11 AM
Some posts in recent weeks say that if Shels and City end level on points, the team with the greater number of goals scored wins.
Others say that the goal difference is counted.
We are level on goal difference right now.
We are 6 goals behind Shels on goals scored.
This is too important to be left to hearsay. Could someone please post accurate information and quote your source.
By the way, the game being back on Friday night, this is the best news I have heard since..... since ...... Fluck it, it is the best news ever.

Shedender
13/11/2004, 11:32 AM
Some posts in recent weeks say that if Shels and City end level on points, the team with the greater number of goals scored wins.
This is too important to be left to hearsay. Could someone please post accurate information and quote your source.
By the way, the game being back on Friday night, this is the best news I have heard since..... since ...... Fluck it, it is the best news ever.

usually , it is goal difference, and on the goal difference being equal it goes to the team who has scored more, this will not matter anyway because if city win and shels lose city will have a better goal difference anyway.
i don't think i have heard of any league in the world who have determined their league on goals scored before goal difference

adamd164
14/11/2004, 1:24 PM
Ya it's Goal Difference, I'm not sure why anyone would say it's Goals scored, that's totally wrong.

sligoman
14/11/2004, 1:29 PM

Is it not the results of the two teams against each other?

adamd164
14/11/2004, 1:37 PM
No - see my above message. Goal Difference.

Hecko
15/11/2004, 8:47 AM
usually , it is goal difference, and on the goal difference being equal it goes to the team who has scored more, this will not matter anyway because if city win and shels lose city will have a better goal difference anyway.
i don't think i have heard of any league in the world who have determined their league on goals scored before goal difference

There was at least one season when the English football league (what is now championship, div 1 and div 2) decided places on goals scored OVER goal difference. Stupid idea, but designed to encourage the Man City style of play. Abandoned after one or two years. Anyway, obviously GD can't come against us this year.

shedite
15/11/2004, 10:57 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your mail.

In the event of two teams finishing level on points for the title, the teams would be separated by goal difference. If they were still tied on goal difference, then they would be separated by goals scored. If they still couldn’t be separated by goals scored, then there would be a play-off between them.

However, if Shels and Cork do indeed finish level on points, it’s impossible for them to have identical goal differences – in that event, Cork would win the title as they’re level at the moment on goal difference (+20) and to finish level on points would mean that Shels would have lost, therefore resulting in a minimum minus one goal difference and Cork would have won, resulting in a minimum of a plus one goal difference.

If you need any more info, let me know.

All the best,

Andy

Andy Needham

Media & Public Relations Officer

eircom League

80 Merrion Square

Dublin 2

Tel +353 1 7037548

Mob +353 87 2441326

Fax +353 1 6768096

Email andy.needham@fai.ie

Web: www.fai.ie

Éanna
15/11/2004, 11:07 AM
However, if Shels and Cork do indeed finish level on points, it’s impossible for them to have identical goal differences – in that event, Cork would win the title as they’re level at the moment on goal difference (+20) and to finish level on points would mean that Shels would have lost, therefore resulting in a minimum minus one goal difference and Cork would have won, resulting in a minimum of a plus one goal difference.

the FAI said it so it must true............... :rolleyes: ;)

bren101
15/11/2004, 11:20 AM
The email from Eircom is right, never though of that - if Shels loose then we are on a better goal difference.

Most other leagues do it like this though
- points, then - goas difference and if they are level after that it goes on - the results during the season when both teams played, taking into account the away and home factor which makes sence but probibly does'nt to the big wigs running the league.

Having said that - thank god that is'nt the case for this game cos we have only taken 2 out of 12 from Shels this season !!

City - Champions '04 !

bren101
15/11/2004, 11:21 AM
The email from Eircom is right, never though of that - if Shels loose then we are on a better goal difference.

Most other leagues do it like this though
- points, then - goas difference and if they are level after that it goes on - the results during the season when both teams played, taking into account the away and home factor which makes sence but probibly does'nt to the big wigs running the league.

Having said that - thank god that is'nt the case for this game cos we have only taken 2 out of 12 from Shels this season !!

Drogs game was a great one to be at - we were class ..
City - Champions '04 !