PDA

View Full Version : Scotland V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 14th November 2014 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

DannyInvincible
16/10/2014, 6:17 PM
All conventional tactics will go out the window in Glasgow, according to Gordon Strachan: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/tactics-out-window-in-euro-derby-gordon-strachan-30668223.html

It'll be a British [sic] Cup tie type thing. Neither of us will be too interested in who wins the possession, put it that way.

There'll be analysts telling us at half-time how many passes each team had. They'll be like 'You've had 452 passes, you're going great' so the lads can keep passing. No, Martin and I will feel the same about it. If the players feel fatigued, they can have a day off.

Martin, like me, doesn't over-think football. We generally leave it to the players. We give them an idea of how to play and then let them get on with it.

Meanwhile, James McCarthy sounds like he's relishing the prospect of facing some Scots: https://twitter.com/JMcCarthy_16/status/522409059056906241

What a result last night from the boys @FAIreland (https://twitter.com/FAIreland) Congrats to sheazy on the 100th cap. #BringOnTheScots (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BringOnTheScots?src=hash)

I'd initially thought the FAI had received 5,000 applications for their allocation of 3,600 tickets, but I read an article today in which the FAI stated they'd actually received closer to 10,000 applications. Quite a lot of supporters, including myself, have already snapped up home section tickets so there should be plenty of Irish support all around the ground.

ArdeeBhoy
17/10/2014, 3:08 AM
Well, this is a fixture we can get a result from. Score-draw most likely, but unsurprised by 0-0 as stated elsewhere!

Though they must be due a home victory v. us. Happy with 3 points though from our two fixtures v.them.
Here, being a lifelong Tim would be sweet...

Stuttgart88
17/10/2014, 9:26 AM
Though they must be due a home victory v. us.you really do struggle with probability theory, don't you? :)

BonnieShels
17/10/2014, 9:31 AM
Paul should give him some classes.

Olé Olé
17/10/2014, 7:10 PM
That James McCarthy tweet is quite inspiring. 'Bring on the Scots' sounds like a third persons reference by James, ignoring he himself was born.

I feel that it'll be a huge occasion for himself and McGeady. Playing in the stadium of a club formed by the Irish immigrants of Glasgow for Ireland against their country of birth. Awesome stuff.

Amazing what the result on *Tuesday has done. The footballing support of Ireland appears to be wishing the next month away. Previously, the month before an away qualifier could never be long enough for some.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. The goal on *Tuesday has instilled the belief we need to fuel the passion and fight (that sounds terribly corny but my point stands).

Stuttgart88
17/10/2014, 7:54 PM
Who played on Monday? :)

Olé Olé
17/10/2014, 8:07 PM
Oh dear God! It must have been a longer week than usual..

Crosby87
18/10/2014, 1:47 AM
Why the (sic) in the original statement?

WexCar
18/10/2014, 2:17 AM
Why the (sic) in the original statement?

"British Cup tie"- Ireland isn't part of Britian

Crosby87
18/10/2014, 2:54 AM
I figured something like that. I'm a stickler for sic. That is incorrectly used and actually deserves an *. (Plus a footnote.)
Sorry, but it's true.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2014, 2:57 AM
He did say "type" to be fair. Strachan's not an ignorant man - he wouldn't call Ireland British. The [sic] is incorrect for me.

DannyInvincible
18/10/2014, 4:16 AM
That James McCarthy tweet is quite inspiring. 'Bring on the Scots' sounds like a third persons reference by James, ignoring he himself was born.

I feel that it'll be a huge occasion for himself and McGeady. Playing in the stadium of a club formed by the Irish immigrants of Glasgow for Ireland against their country of birth. Awesome stuff.

Amazing what the result on Monday has done. The footballing support of Ireland appears to be wishing the next month away. Previously, the month before an away qualifier could never be long enough for some.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. The goal on Monday has instilled the belief we need to fuel the passion and fight (that sounds terribly corny but my point stands).

Too right. A cannae wait!

I really warmed to McCarthy's tweet too; he sees himself as one of us and not as one of them. It will be a massively proud occasion for the McCarthy/Coyle and McGeady families.

He did say "type" to be fair. Strachan's not an ignorant man - he wouldn't call Ireland British. The [sic] is incorrect for me.

I was being a bit rebellious. :)

Crosby87
18/10/2014, 4:54 AM
It's too late in the sentence though Charlie.

DannyInvincible
18/10/2014, 5:11 AM
I figured something like that. I'm a stickler for sic. That is incorrectly used and actually deserves an *. (Plus a footnote.)
Sorry, but it's true.

Eh?... I used it in a humourously derisive sort of sense. Either way, why would it require a footnote? And why would it be too late in the sentence? Sic can be inserted anywhere within a body of quoted text to indicate that the particular word or phrase immediately preceding it is transcribed exactly as it was originally found despite the word or phrase being considered by the transcriber to be, in some form or another, erroneous or suspect. To be more clear, I, the transcriber, was cheekily ridiculing Strachan's declaration that we'd be involved in a British cup tie type thing. Why? Because we're not a British outfit. However, as Charlie points out, Strachan is an astute man and he did say "type", so it's not really that big a deal. Maybe Gordon was being a bit cheeky himself! :)

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2014, 5:42 AM
Eh?... I used it in a humourously derisive sort of sense. Either way, why would it require a footnote? And why would it be too late in the sentence? Sic can be inserted anywhere within a body of quoted text to indicate that the particular word or phrase immediately preceding it is transcribed exactly as it was originally found despite the word or phrase being considered by the transcriber to be, in some form or another, erroneous or suspect. To be more clear, I, the transcriber, was cheekily ridiculing Strachan's declaration that we'd be involved in a British cup tie type thing. Why? Because we're not a British outfit. However, as Charlie points out, Strachan is an astute man and he did say "type", so it's not really that big a deal. Maybe Gordon was being a bit cheeky himself! :)
Did you insert the [sic]? Sorry, I assumed it was from the article. I think Crosby was saying Strachan said "type" too late.

elroy
18/10/2014, 8:06 AM
After watching the highlights of the pole scot game. Scots looked decent at times. Hutton had a nightmare at right back and it's an area we should look to target. On the wide left they are dangerous with anya, so we will need Coleman fit and forcing anya back.

Stuttgart88
18/10/2014, 9:19 AM
we will need Coleman fit and forcing Anya back.
They'll probably know each other, each being from Donegal.

Kingdom
18/10/2014, 11:04 AM
After watching the highlights of the pole scot game. Scots looked decent at times. Hutton had a nightmare at right back and it's an area we should look to target. On the wide left they are dangerous with anya, so we will need Coleman fit and forcing anya back.

The scottish back 4 v Poland was

Hutton --- Greer ------ (R) Martin --- Whittaker

-----------------Long/Keane------------------

McClean ------- Hoolahan ------- McGeady

That' a back 4 we should be making hay against. I reckon there is potential for trouble with McClean and Hutton. Hutton's a vicious b'tard at the best of times and a geat wind-up merchant. McClean's a hot-head, and if he can be lucky to stay on the pitch against Gibraltar then he's bound to be in trouble against that pleb. McGeady could really turn the screw on either side.

I've seen a bit of Greer for Brighton and I just can't believe he's playing cb for them. Added to Russell MArtin there are goals for us there. They'll be susceptible to balls on the deck, in bhnind them, and a bit of pace. Even if Hanley comes back into the team (assuming he's injured?) I don't think it changes much.

It's in midfield where it'll be won or lost. If Darren Fletcher is fully fit again, I just cannot see him being left out, most likely at the expense of James Morrison, a player I really like, and I think he' the ability to hurt us. Scott Brown is decent, but truth be told, I see him potentially a weak link for them, and I wouldn't have him in our team ahead of Whelan, Gibson or McCarthy. It's likely - all things considered - that Naismith will occupy the area just off the striker, and how we cope with that intricacy will decide the tie (probably). He was never a world beater, but he has become crucial to both Everton and Scotland, and it's testament to both the player himself and Martinez that he's developed into the cog that he's become.

There is an aspect of our play that I struggle to come to terms with, always under Trap, but continued with under O'Neill - that we cede possession to so many teams so easily, and we seemingly set up our team for when the opposition has the ball, rather than for when have possession. Obviously it is early days in the tenure, and they've had one impossibly tough assignment to the world champions. I'm a big fan of Whelan in how we set up presently, but in a system whereby we maximise the players at our disposal in an offensive manner, then I think Whelan becomes slightly surplus to requirements.

There are few better holding midfielders in Britain than McCarthy, but he excels in a system of 3 whereby there are two sitters, with one of the two allowed progress if the situation demands it. I'd expect Scotland will play two natural midfielders in Brown and Fletcher, in which case we'll almost certainly be handing the initiative to them if we pick both Whelan and McCarthy to sit. So I think that is one riddle O'Neill has to work out.

Full-back is going to be crucial too, because they are decent going forward. Anya isn't a great technician (I don't think so anyway) and is definitely weak tracking back, but man is he quick. Maloney is very inconsistent, but he has the potential to hurt, and is a bit magic close to the box on set-pieces too. I'd pray to St ANthony that Coleman is fit. I think defensively Ward was excellent against Germany, and what stood out is that defensively he kept it simple. He held his line excellently, kept the body open enough for the slide-pass behind without getting caught ball-watching, made proper tackles and interceptions and cleared his lines properly. From a defensive point of view, it was almost flawless.

Scotland could line up like

-------------------Gordon ---------------
Hutton--- Greer/Hanley -- Martin---Whittaker
Maloney ---- Brown -- Fletcher ----- Anya
-----------------Naismith----------------
-----------------Fletcher-----------------

If we were to line up below, I think we've a great chance of taking three points.
----------------Forde--------------------
Coleman----OShea---Wilson-----Ward
McGeady --McCarthy-Gibson -- McClean
---------------Hoolahan-----------------
--------------Keane/Long---------------

Olé Olé
18/10/2014, 11:40 AM
Finding it hard to disagree with any of that, Kingdom.

Some on here have this tendency to highlight a deemed inferiority to the Scots. I'm looking at those two 11's and the only 3 players in the Scottish side that would force their way into the Irish side are Fletcher, Gordon and Naismith, as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at that Ireland team I really hope that Long puts in a good month at Southampton. Starting Long allows us to start Hoolahan (I think MO'N would only play Quinn/Keane or Hoolahan/Long). By deduction, if Long makes a very strong case for selection over the course of the next month then it would be difficult not to start Hoolahan in tandem with him. Given how weak the Scottish back four looks, there's no reason why a PL player like Long can't expose those very Championship-level players. The same could maybe be said of Robbie but Ken Earley made a good point in that having 10 players and Keane in the blood and thunder environment that Celtic Park will likely be will put Ireland at a disadvantage when compared to playing 11 players. Not to disparage Keane too much, but I feel his Germany performance is all too indicative of the level he will achieve against Scotland/Germany/Poland in this campaign.

It is also hugely positive that players who have been in and out of their clubs sides will return to their clubs rejuvenated. I'm referring to McClean, Ward and Hendrick, primarily. Hoolahan could also do with a bit of game time in a central position at Norwich. If that momentum can keep running for the next month then prospects of a win against Scotland will be stronger.

Stuttgart88
18/10/2014, 12:08 PM
The Scots might pick the young Hull guy Robetyson at left back. He looks Lacey going forward but lacks experience.

I agree we can really look to get at their defence though. Whoever starts upfront McClean, McGeady and Hoolahan can all look to have plenty of involvement

I have a feeling Walters will be dropped to restore McGeady to his best position, but he is likely to pick Quinn over Hoolahan.

Kingdom
18/10/2014, 12:38 PM
The Scots might pick the young Hull guy Robetyson at left back. He looks Lacey going forward but lacks experience.

I agree we can really look to get at their defence though. Whoever starts upfront McClean, McGeady and Hoolahan can all look to have plenty of involvement

I have a feeling Walters will be dropped to restore McGeady to his best position, but he is likely to pick Quinn over Hoolahan.

I've looked at a few of their squads this morning over the last 12 months, and it looks like he has picked Whittaker in the games where there will be equal of less possesion, or where they'll be challenged on the flanks, and then Robertson in the more open games, or where they look to attack from deep.

It is early days though, and part of me wonders whether Strachan's comments were deliberate the other day when he referred to the tie as a proper british tie (no-sic) with possession stats going out the window; Strachan is no fool either and he's not averse to using psychology himself.

I know the Germany game didn't exactly prove my feelings about McGeady to be right, in that the role to maximise his talents is the number 10 role, but jesus, it was a stupid game to start him there.

My reasoning for it, and I say this with confidence, is because I would reckon I watched every game he played for Spartak, and some of his best performances were in the middle spot. He's all about receiving the ball from deep (in either half) and running with it, and then utilising the runs either side of him. Playing him through the middle means it is harder for him to be double-marked, which can be easy to do when he's on the right flank.
Also, and I agree that it's a valid criticism, that his end product is diminished out wide, but again I believe there is a reason for that. We in the main tend to not get players ahead of the ball, and if we do, it's generally only Robbie. It must be extremely frustrating if you are a winger, and you beat a man, get to the zone, and tend find you have a tiny striker (by comparison) to try and set up.

Wes is a better 10 in so far as linking up play with the midfield and receiving the ball facing the wrong way -but you'd expect that as he's always been considered that type of player. McGeady I'd contend is better at the kind of Bergkamp 10 (not comparing him to Dennis but it's been a long day already.)

I have to say too, that I was worried looking at some of the link up play between the two as the Gibraltar game wore on and as Wes attempted to exert his dominance on the game, McGeady almost looked disinterested. It worried me.

Stuttgart88
18/10/2014, 1:42 PM
I think Strachan is right wrt the type of game it'll be. I've no problem with him describing it that way. Every player for each team plays for or has played football in Britain. They're not going to go all tika taka just because it's a European qualifier. We're more likely to retain a bit more of the Trap philosophy of getting bodies behind the ball but equally I think O'Neill won't be as concerned about the technical nature of our opponents on this occasion.

I don't want to get all melodramatic, but I think this game could prove pivotal in the fortunes of Irish football for the next several years. A win brings its own momentum, restores the country's attention to and affection for the team, restores the credibility of the national team, and makes the rest of the campaign thrilling with Ireland leading from the front rather than simply hanging on in. The crowds would be back, the FAI will earn a few quid and if we were to go as far as qualify it would capture the public mood and bring in more much needed revenue from UEFA. It could turn a promising generation of young players into winners and phase out some of the old guard for new blood. It would make winning away from home the standard to aim for rather than the exception.

We had a similar turning point moment against Israel (home and away) and we fluffed it. It set us back years.

back of the net
18/10/2014, 2:17 PM
Coleman and McCarthy confirmed both start for Everton today at home to Villa

EDIT:Long starts for southampton at home to sunderland

Kingdom
18/10/2014, 2:38 PM
I think Strachan is right wrt the type of game it'll be. I've no problem with him describing it that way. Every player for each team plays for or has played football in Britain. They're not going to go all tika taka just because it's a European qualifier. We're more likely to retain a bit more of the Trap philosophy of getting bodies behind the ball but equally I think O'Neill won't be as concerned about the technical nature of our opponents on this occasion.

I don't want to get all melodramatic, but I think this game could prove pivotal in the fortunes of Irish football for the next several years. A win brings its own momentum, restores the country's attention to and affection for the team, restores the credibility of the national team, and makes the rest of the campaign thrilling with Ireland leading from the front rather than simply hanging on in. The crowds would be back, the FAI will earn a few quid and if we were to go as far as qualify it would capture the public mood and bring in more much needed revenue from UEFA. It could turn a promising generation of young players into winners and phase out some of the old guard for new blood. It would make winning away from home the standard to aim for rather than the exception.

We had a similar turning point moment against Israel (home and away) and we fluffed it. It set us back years.

Yessir, I find myself agreeing with you (as per normal!). This game is one of a series of 3 that will be huge for our long-term aspirations. I'd take guaranteed qualifying for every euros, and 1 out of 3 World Cups for the foreseeable future.
Missing out on this Euro's would be a tough pill to swallow, because were we to make it, it's almost impossible for us to get the kind of draw we got for Euro 2012, and as you are essentially saying, the bounce from qualifying for 2016 would follow on from there.

It's a great point too about winning results in leading from the front, and certainly a top of the table clash at home to Poland in Round 5 in March.

It will be no harm to keep an eye on this link over the next 6 months, particularly if we stay unbeaten http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams because I think our group could be the one that has the auto qualifier. And the reality is if we do beat Scotland, or at worst stay unbeaten to Scotland alone, I reckon we'll finish3rd at worst.

Crosby87
18/10/2014, 2:40 PM
Chaps dont forget the Irish tonight vs Florida State. Its as massive a clash as will take place in many of your lifetimes. Irish are heavy dogs. Cantget anyone to take the bet though pending the FSU QBs possible suspension. The drama builds lads...... https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv_VJmjC4KTckezCtNrIEJSHmcdS02G 8rBI64xTcJfDpmio29B6UVutiCZQw (http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.pinterest.com/pin/526499012658811462/&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=CW1CVKXVH-zgsATh9IDQCQ&ved=0CCAQ9QEwBQ&usg=AFQjCNH8zNa05aGnRhW9uKasRb91RuzQqw)

Olé Olé
18/10/2014, 3:17 PM
If McGeady and McCarthy are the two Scottish-born players of Irish descent in our camp, is Darren Fletcher the only Scottish-born player of Irish descent in the Scottish camp?

On a second name basis you could query Reynolds, Maloney, McArthur and Burke, the latter two coming from Glasgow. Burke came through the Rangers academy but originally played for Celtic Boys Club.

tetsujin1979
18/10/2014, 3:29 PM
If McGeady and McCarthy are the two Scottish-born players of Irish descent in our camp, is Darren Fletcher the only Scottish-born player of Irish descent in the Scottish camp?

On a second name basis you could query Reynolds, Maloney, McArthur and Burke, the latter two coming from Glasgow. Burke came through the Rangers academy but originally played for Celtic Boys Club.
Burke's dad is a season ticket holder at Celtic Park, believe it or not.

Olé Olé
18/10/2014, 3:33 PM

Conceivable he's of Irish stock in some way or another so. He's got quite ginger-y hair anyway!

Imagine the ribbing Burke Snr. must have taken from his Celtic Park-attending mates.

TheOneWhoKnocks
18/10/2014, 3:45 PM
Conceivable he's of Irish stock in some way or another so. He's got quite ginger-y hair anyway!

Imagine the ribbing Burke Snr. must have taken from his Celtic Park-attending mates.

Scotland has the most red haired people per capita in the world.

Olé Olé
18/10/2014, 4:23 PM
Scotland has the most red haired people per capita in the world.

Christ almighty. It was a throwaway comment that I didn't think would be subject to your powers of fine-toothed comb research.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/GroundskeeperWillie.png

Supreme feet
18/10/2014, 5:40 PM

This.

If we had beaten Israel home and away in 2005, we would have qualified for that World Cup with a few points to spare. With a core of Given, Carr, Finnan, Harte, Dunne, Duff, Kilbane and Keane in their primes, Roy Keane and Cunningham providing leadership, and a youthful O'Shea, Doyle, Andy Reid and Steven Reid, we could have done quite well there. Kerr would have maintained his credibility and command of the dressing room, and we could have avoided the Staunton era, which genuinely set us back several years. Sickens me to think about it.

Crosby87
18/10/2014, 7:09 PM
Israel scored a late goal right? That was annoying. Actually I remember watching it at a UES Irish pub but there were jewish kids there from nyu being obnoxious. I seem to remember Andy Reid scoring from a set piece but then again I seem to remember a lot of things.

Anyway you chaps should take a nap now. Notre Dame will be on til almost 5 am Dubs time.

BonnieShels
18/10/2014, 7:31 PM
Israel scored a late goal right? That was annoying. Actually I remember watching it at a UES Irish pub but there were jewish kids there from nyu being obnoxious. I seem to remember Andy Reid scoring from a set piece but then again I seem to remember a lot of things.

Anyway you chaps should take a nap now. Notre Dame will be on til almost 5 am Dubs time.

Leafs-Red Wings, Lightning-Canucks is taking precedence tonight.

Supreme feet
18/10/2014, 8:15 PM

Conceded a 90th minute equaliser when 1-0 up in Tel-Aviv. Threw away an early 2-0 lead (Harte scored a free-kick) at Lansdowne by half time, peppered their goal in the second half but just couldn't score. Ended up finishing three points behind the eventual group winners. :mad:

Eirambler
18/10/2014, 10:35 PM
I think we can win this game if we bide our time and pick Scotland off when the chances come. Scotland have already conceded two goals to Poland and an out-of-sorts Germany. No matter what combination of Hutton/Hanley/Martin/Greer/Whittaker/Robertson they pick at the back, that looks like a championship standard defence that can only concede goals. So as long as we are solid defensively ourselves, similar to the Germany game, the chances should come at the other end.

Looking at Scotland, they really seem to have an unusually attacking approach for an international team - especially one with such a poor looking back four. Maybe it is over compensation for the Levein years on their part. They seem to keep one player sitting in front of the back four and everyone else bombs on. With their defensive options looking sub-standard that seems like a potential recipe for disaster.

I actually think the last thing we should do here is get involved in a 'British style' blood and thunder type game as Strachan suggests it might be. They look decent enough going forward so that would play into their hands. Naysmith, Maloney and Anya in particular will need watching. I'd sit two midfielders in front of the back four, soak up a bit of Scottish attacking play, and then hit them hard on the counter attack. In this kind of game McGeady, McClean, Coleman and whoever O'Neill picks in an attacking central position can really get at an exposed Scottish defence and win us the game.

ArdeeBhoy
19/10/2014, 11:48 AM

He also had similar for Castle Greyskull when his son played for that lot...

ArdeeBhoy
19/10/2014, 11:51 AM
The scottish back 4 v Poland was

Hutton --- Greer ------ (R) Martin --- Whittaker

-----------------Long/Keane------------------

McClean ------- Hoolahan ------- McGeady

That' a back 4 we should be making hay against. I reckon there is potential for trouble with McClean and Hutton. Hutton's a vicious b'tard at the best of times and a geat wind-up merchant. McClean's a hot-head, and if he can be lucky to stay on the pitch against Gibraltar then he's bound to be in trouble against that pleb. McGeady could really turn the screw on either side.

I've seen a bit of Greer for Brighton and I just can't believe he's playing cb for them. Added to Russell MArtin there are goals for us there. They'll be susceptible to balls on the deck, in bhnind them, and a bit of pace. Even if Hanley comes back into the team (assuming he's injured?) I don't think it changes much.

It's in midfield where it'll be won or lost. If Darren Fletcher is fully fit again, I just cannot see him being left out, most likely at the expense of James Morrison, a player I really like, and I think he' the ability to hurt us. Scott Brown is decent, but truth be told, I see him potentially a weak link for them, and I wouldn't have him in our team ahead of Whelan, Gibson or McCarthy. It's likely - all things considered - that Naismith will occupy the area just off the striker, and how we cope with that intricacy will decide the tie (probably). He was never a world beater, but he has become crucial to both Everton and Scotland, and it's testament to both the player himself and Martinez that he's developed into the cog that he's become.

There is an aspect of our play that I struggle to come to terms with, always under Trap, but continued with under O'Neill - that we cede possession to so many teams so easily, and we seemingly set up our team for when the opposition has the ball, rather than for when have possession. Obviously it is early days in the tenure, and they've had one impossibly tough assignment to the world champions. I'm a big fan of Whelan in how we set up presently, but in a system whereby we maximise the players at our disposal in an offensive manner, then I think Whelan becomes slightly surplus to requirements.

There are few better holding midfielders in Britain than McCarthy, but he excels in a system of 3 whereby there are two sitters, with one of the two allowed progress if the situation demands it. I'd expect Scotland will play two natural midfielders in Brown and Fletcher, in which case we'll almost certainly be handing the initiative to them if we pick both Whelan and McCarthy to sit. So I think that is one riddle O'Neill has to work out.

Full-back is going to be crucial too, because they are decent going forward. Anya isn't a great technician (I don't think so anyway) and is definitely weak tracking back, but man is he quick. Maloney is very inconsistent, but he has the potential to hurt, and is a bit magic close to the box on set-pieces too. I'd pray to St ANthony that Coleman is fit. I think defensively Ward was excellent against Germany, and what stood out is that defensively he kept it simple. He held his line excellently, kept the body open enough for the slide-pass behind without getting caught ball-watching, made proper tackles and interceptions and cleared his lines properly. From a defensive point of view, it was almost flawless.

Scotland could line up like

-------------------Gordon ---------------
Hutton--- Greer/Hanley -- Martin---Whittaker
Maloney ---- Brown -- Fletcher ----- Anya
-----------------Naismith----------------
-----------------Fletcher-----------------

If we were to line up below, I think we've a great chance of taking three points.
----------------Forde--------------------
Coleman----OShea---Wilson-----Ward
McGeady --McCarthy-Gibson -- McClean
---------------Hoolahan-----------------
--------------Keane/Long---------------

I think we can win this game if we bide our time and pick Scotland off when the chances come. Scotland have already conceded two goals to Poland and an out-of-sorts Germany. No matter what combination of Hutton/Hanley/Martin/Greer/Whittaker/Robertson they pick at the back, that looks like a championship standard defence that can only concede goals. So as long as we are solid defensively ourselves, similar to the Germany game, the chances should come at the other end.

Don't think anyone has factored in the injuries/'unavailability' factor? Which could still be a big one.

Still think they have a greater attacking threat but a weaker defence, so a score draw. And of course am never wrong with my predictions...
:roll:

DannyInvincible
20/10/2014, 12:27 AM

Was there talk at one point that Bannan was eligible to play for us? And, as Stutts was saying, don't forget Anya from Gweedore!

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 1:58 AM
Gweedore in Nigeria? Or Romania?

Shaun Maloney also was allegedly eligible. Acc. to a few Tims, though pretty sure that connection's too far back.

Charlie Darwin
20/10/2014, 2:16 AM
Gweedore in Nigeria? Or Romania?
You can't possibly not get the joke.

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 2:33 AM
Nor you mine...
:rolleyes:

Charlie Darwin
20/10/2014, 2:35 AM
No, you clearly didn't get the joke he made. Anyway, no point going down this road.

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 4:39 AM
Er, I did. Just responded with one of my own...
:wink:

Charlie Darwin
20/10/2014, 6:27 AM
Oh, ok. That was really funny.

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 8:55 AM
Glad you enjoyed it!
:wink:

DannyInvincible
20/10/2014, 2:39 PM
No, you clearly didn't get the joke he made. Anyway, no point going down this road.

Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows? Only time.

Junior
21/10/2014, 2:11 PM
Agree that the Scotland back 4 looks weak'ish and certainly we should be looking to exploit it where we can. I don't think however that we can dismiss the experience the likes of Hutton and Whitaker bring to the table (and I agree with the point that if McLean were to play against Hutton that could be yellow/red card just waiting to happen), not to mention a more than decent keeper in McGregor. They will be looking at Ward as a weak link and possibly Coleman leaving holes should he venture forward.

Scott Brown seems to have been fairly easily dismissed in the posts above but I wouldn't be so dismissive. In his earlier years at Celtic, I was no fan of his but in more recent times he has matured, he is obviously very tenacious in the tackle, has a great engine on him and is not short of a bit of skill either. He appears to be putting the recent injury issues behind him and although I didn't see the last two Scotland games, the match reports seem to confirm that he was a central part, particularly in Poland.
Not sure who our midfield will be made up of but the likes of Whelan, Gibson, Quinn etc.. would be up against a very tough opponent. I'd probably like McCarthy in there as his opposite number - for athleticism alone but obviously James brings all his other qualities to the show as well.

Maloney - Haven't seen him play this season but I don't think, if he was Irish, he would be so easily dismissed for a starting spot in place of McLean either and if he was, it would be marginal

None of the above is not to say that we shouldn't be confident of going to Hampden and getting 3 points or certainly 1 point but Scotland have already got a point out in Poland, were arguably unlucky not to get one in Germany and they will also be confident of getting the result.

I don't like it as Ireland fans when we get a bit too confident......:D

Stuttgart88
21/10/2014, 4:03 PM
Yep, fair points. I think Brown has been criticised here before but I think he's got presence, especially in the standard of game we'll both be playing.

Maloney is a tricky player and a great set piece taker. I'm surprised he only has a handful of Scotland goals (3?). Naismith too.

I think that they are a well balanced team too.

But the point is still that regardless of their good form. I think we can win this one. It's not over confidence, it's self-belief.

shakermaker1982
21/10/2014, 4:09 PM
If I were a Scottish fan I'd be more envious.

You look at our team and they've got nobody in the class of Coleman or McCarthy.

Add in Keane and Long....

I rate their keeper but other than that there isn't anything within their side that is superior to our starting 11. Not saying we are any great shakes but I'm confident we can get a result up there.

Wales would be different of course. Bale, Ramsey and Williams would stroll into our team.

tetsujin1979
21/10/2014, 4:30 PM
I wouldn't write Brown off either. Don't forget he has loads of experience at European level too.

Player for player, we've a better starting XI, but Scotland have had a better "team" since Strachan was appointed. It will be an interesting game.

I keep thinking back to when Souness took his Blackburn side to Celtic Park in the UEFA Cup, he came out seperately to the team to take the brunt of the abuse from the crowd (because he's Souness) and this took the focus of the crowd off the players. Wonder if MON or Keane have considered something similar for the qualifier in a few weeks?