PDA

View Full Version : Scotland V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 14th November 2014 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Bungle
14/11/2014, 8:56 PM
Very poor performance. They let the occasion get to them. Incredibly important that we get 6 points from Poland and Scotland at home. 4 points might be enough but 6 points has to be the mindset.

Hendrick is going to be a very good player, but tonight he was very poor. We all criticise Glenn Whelan but he would have at least been a calmer head out there. Hard to pick a good performance bar Walters.

Sheridan
14/11/2014, 8:58 PM
On that performance, do you reckon any of those players would get a game for Luton Town?

TheOneWhoKnocks
14/11/2014, 8:59 PM
FFS. Mountain to climb now.

irishultra
14/11/2014, 8:59 PM
The emotions of the match got to McGeady I think. I feel for him because can only imagine how much he wanted to perform tonight of all nights. He, like Coleman suffers because of our all round crappiness.

TheOneWhoKnocks
14/11/2014, 9:01 PM
Walters should have been taken off instead of Long and just Gibson, not Hendrick.

shakermaker1982
14/11/2014, 9:02 PM
Very disappointing and we need some big home wins to get us back into contention.

Keogh really isn't cut out for international football.

Midfield was poor.

We were awful at set pieces until Brady came on.

I think taking off Long was a mistake.

Gutted.

Bungle
14/11/2014, 9:04 PM
It's a group with one brilliant side and three average sides. If we are outclassed by the poles and the Scots, we have no business at France. Don't get me wrong I respect those two teams but if they are able to outclass us it's scary what the bigger countries could do to us.

Fair play to the poles. They are getting great results. I still think Georgia could take points off Scotland in Tbilisi.

I'm still hopeful that we can get third. One concern is that with some of the unusual results in the other groups, we could end up playing some very decent teams, but right now I'd settle for third.

irishultra
14/11/2014, 9:05 PM
Why are we so utterly hopeless on the ball? Is it because of inherent traits of football culture in Ireland.

geysir
14/11/2014, 9:07 PM
Not much between the two teams, a very nice goal for them and no goals for us. That was the difference.
We will have the chance to play them again at home.

TheOneWhoKnocks
14/11/2014, 9:10 PM
Keogh is too rash and tempestuous but that's the least of our problems. There is no reason why McCarthy couldn't have played and he could have made the difference. It's just a maddening state of affairs.

Why the dependence on Walters? I just don't get it. Long is a better player and he poses more problems.

Same old negative football but in fairness Hanley should have been sent off twice let alone once.

swinfordfc
14/11/2014, 9:18 PM
Lads,

we couldn't get the ball down and play at all - we hoof the ball long nearly all the game. We only came to life a little when we went 1 down instead of going for the win from the start and that is not good enough - we allow Scotland to dictate the pace of the game from the 20 minute mark onwards ......

And i cant only see us getting 4th in this group after that - we couldn't get up for a local derby! - what chance have we for the other games so?

Charlie Darwin
14/11/2014, 9:20 PM
"We know that Keogh can step up in a competitive match"

Step up to what - buy drinks at the bar in the players' lounge?
He is not of international standard at all. He is a free kick waiting to happen and 90 per cent of his passes were from his own penalty box into Scotland's.
Do you really think we should bring him to France, that is if we make it?
Ah, don't be ridiculous. He was Ireland's best player out there, comfortable in possession and apart from one incident did his defensive job brilliantly. I'm not looking ahead to the hypothetical squad for France.

geysir
14/11/2014, 9:22 PM
I'm no fan of Keogh but he did very well out there, no complaints at all about his performance.

Philly
14/11/2014, 9:23 PM
Really disappointing performance. I think Keogh did ok. We defended well under pressure for most of the game. Where we really lost out tonight was centre midfield. Charlie Mulgrew looked like a top player at times, controlling the pace. Gibson wasn't fully fit and Hendrick didn't have the experience to slow things down. Quinn is a great worker but isn't going to create any goals for us. We really missed Whelan, despite all the crap he might get. He can slow things down when needed.

Anyway, I guess we really need 4 points from Scotland and Poland at home. That won't be easy at all.

The big difference was Scotland had a system they were comfortable with and stuck at. We didn't have that. I'm sure O'Neill is trying to instill that in the team but it'll take time.

swinfordfc
14/11/2014, 9:26 PM
I taught Keogh did ok - did as well as O'shea in fairest - no problem with either. Our central midfield - as most lads are saying - let us down badly

Bungle
14/11/2014, 9:27 PM
The Scots come from the same culture as we do.

To be honest, both Gibson and Hendrick are technicaly good. The problem is that we resorted to the old hoof ball rather than try and play football. We are probably better man for man than Scotland, but tonight they looked a far better team than us and played good stuff.

Gibson lacks the drive to be the top player he threatens to be, while tonight Hendrick looked like this game showed why he isn't ready for the premiership or a big international game (I believe he will become a top player in the coming years). The occasion got to him.
Its easy to criticise McCarthy right now, but I believe he was injured. The bigger concern is that we don't trust our midfield to get on the ball and influence games. Nothing new there but we've learnt feck all from Poland and the wq qualifiers.

I thought long was ineffective. For me, he is actually a better option off the bench. Maybe the way we play doesn't help him but for all his qualities as a player, he has rarely delivered for us.

da bishop
14/11/2014, 9:35 PM
Scots deserved their win, like ourselves pretty ordinary team ,big difference with us is the extraordinary expectation.i agree with Liam Bradys assertion at the beginning of the group that we just do not have the quality players.the fact that Whelan and McCarthy are considered a loss sums it up.i am surprised that Coleman always seems to avoid any scrutiny when it comes to our defence,his performance tonight like many of his in a green shirt in terms of defence was,,non existent can not blame Mcgeady for all that was going on down the right hand side tonight.

irishultra
14/11/2014, 9:35 PM
The Scots come from the same culture as we do.

To be honest, both Gibson and Hendrick are technicaly good. The problem is that we resorted to the old hoof ball rather than try and play football. We are probably better man for man than Scotland, but tonight they looked a far better team than us and played good stuff.

Gibson lacks the drive to be the top player he threatens to be, while tonight Hendrick looked like this game showed why he isn't ready for the premiership or a big international game (I believe he will become a top player in the coming years). The occasion got to him.
Its easy to criticise McCarthy right now, but I believe he was injured. The bigger concern is that we don't trust our midfield to get on the ball and influence games. Nothing new there but we've learnt feck all from Poland and the wq qualifiers.

I thought long was ineffective. For me, he is actually a better option off the bench. Maybe the way we play doesn't help him but for all his qualities as a player, he has rarely delivered for us.

Gibson in no universe has ever threatened to be a top class footballer. He's the definition of average, and Hendrick will spend his career knocking between the Premiership and Championship, again, average.

Bungle
14/11/2014, 9:42 PM
Fair enough but in gibson's younger days, fergie clearly saw great talent. If he had half the attitude of Roy Keane, I think he'd be a top premiership player rather than a decent premiership player.
Regarding Hendrick, I believe he will become a top player. One **** poor performance from him doesn't change that opinion.

Charlie Darwin
14/11/2014, 9:46 PM
Gibson in no universe has ever threatened to be a top class footballer. He's the definition of average, and Hendrick will spend his career knocking between the Premiership and Championship, again, average.
He's 22 and flying at the upper end of the Championship. Making negative predictions about his career at this point is frankly ridiculous.

irishultra
14/11/2014, 9:47 PM
Fair enough but in gibson's younger days, fergie clearly saw great talent. If he had half the attitude of Roy Keane, I think he'd be a top premiership player rather than a decent premiership player.
Regarding Hendrick, I believe he will become a top player. One **** poor performance from him doesn't change that opinion.

Ummm he was destined to be a better player than he is but I don't think he ever promised to truly be a top class player. I don't even think his passing is good, he's so one dimensional on the ball.

Jovial Rambler
14/11/2014, 9:51 PM
Great to see no complaints on here about the management. Our players have huge limitations compared with those of previous campaigns. But, I feel that we are moving in the right direction. WC14 was an unmitigated disaster for us, whereas now the manager has instilled belief, confidence, and a planB. He is benching Keane, trying out youth and fresh tactics. Sometimes its one step back to go two forward, such as tonight. We ARE on our way up, keep your heads up and believe we will turn it around in March, and support the management and the players that they choose.

Cymro
14/11/2014, 9:55 PM
From a neutral point of view I thought both sides were pretty poor, but Scotland definitely wanted it more and ultimately deserved the win.

The inability of both sides to string together decent attacking moves in relatively good conditions was shocking. Probably only repeating what's already been said but the only moment of genuine class won the game. Scotland have a couple of players with decent technique in Naismith and Maloney. I'm struggling to see who Ireland have to be honest with genuine quality on the ball. Keane is a good goalscorer and the team is solid defensively, but technically Poland are much better and Scotland even seem to have an edge in that department. Hate to sound arrogant but Wales are well ahead of both sides in that regard at this point in time. If only we had a goalscoring centre-forward!

If you are to qualify directly you'll need to find a way to beat Poland, in my view. I initially saw this group as being a three-way fight for second but now I'd say it's probably a two-way fight for third. I still think the group is well-set for Ireland to qualify but it will be a tough battle with the Scots. It's definitely not over for either side. Scotland may not win in Georgia which Ireland have and the away game between both your sides is still to come.

Charlie Darwin
14/11/2014, 9:58 PM
Great to see no complaints on here about the management. Our players have huge limitations compared with those of previous campaigns. But, I feel that we are moving in the right direction. WC14 was an unmitigated disaster for us, whereas now the manager has instilled belief, confidence, and a planB. He is benching Keane, trying out youth and fresh tactics. Sometimes its one step back to go two forward, such as tonight. We ARE on our way up, keep your heads up and believe we will turn it around in March, and support the management and the players that they choose.
Did you watch the match? Plenty of people in here criticising the management, and with justifiable cause.

Bungle
14/11/2014, 10:16 PM
Agree with that.
What is probably most noteworthy is that between the two countries there wasn't one world class player on the pitch tonight (maybe Coleman comes close enough). It's hard to believe that our two countries used to produce the backbone of the great English club sides of yesteryear.
Wales must be putting something in the water because you're still producing the talent. Whether it's a good generation at the one time it's hard to know, but I'd give anything for your team, as I'm sure the lads on the tartan army forum would.
A few years ago we had a core of terrific talent coming through who went on to be excellent players like given, duff, robbie and dunne. Now, we're left arguing about whether our one young player in the team will become a top player. That is sobering for us and it might get worse before it gets better.

Charlie Darwin
14/11/2014, 10:20 PM
Marshall's save from McGeady volley was world class. In spite of their dominance, we had four shots on target to Scotland's one. The difference between us was one very composed finished and an exceptional goalkeeper.

Crosby87
14/11/2014, 10:25 PM
That sucked. This team sucks the life out of the bar.

Cymro
14/11/2014, 10:31 PM
Agree with that.
What is probably most noteworthy is that between the two countries there wasn't one world class player on the pitch tonight (maybe Coleman comes close enough). It's hard to believe that our two countries used to produce the backbone of the great English club sides of yesteryear.
Wales must be putting something in the water because you're still producing the talent. Whether it's a good generation at the one time it's hard to know, but I'd give anything for your team, as I'm sure the lads on the tartan army forum would.
A few years ago we had a core of terrific talent coming through who went on to be excellent players like given, duff, robbie and dunne. Now, we're left arguing about whether our one young player in the team will become a top player. That is sobering for us and it might get worse before it gets better.

It's just a case of talent coming through together and a (very) long rebuilding phase that began under Toshack. Bale, Hennessey, Gunter, and Ramsey, amongst others, made their debuts very young - Bale at 16. He's been playing international football for nearly a decade now. The number of caps those players have at a young age shows how long we've been building up to this.

It's taken a few campaigns to get it right but hopefully this will finally be the one - won't get a better chance than this.

Crosby87
14/11/2014, 10:43 PM
Cymro, do you think Wales would let Ched Evans play for them if it came to pass?

geysir
14/11/2014, 11:00 PM
Scots deserved their win, like ourselves pretty ordinary team ,big difference with us is the extraordinary expectation.i agree with Liam Bradys assertion at the beginning of the group that we just do not have the quality players.the fact that Whelan and McCarthy are considered a loss sums it up.i am surprised that Coleman always seems to avoid any scrutiny when it comes to our defence,his performance tonight like many of his in a green shirt in terms of defence was,,non existent can not blame Mcgeady for all that was going on down the right hand side tonight.
I'd reluctantly agree that Coleman looked very average out there and wouldn't have objected to Cyrus coming on after half time, for novelty value alone.

bishbash
14/11/2014, 11:18 PM
We all agree we are no world beaters, we all agree that we have a lot of average footballers & some decent ones to. There is no way that Scotland are as far ahead of us in terms of personnel than what tonight would suggest. Charlie Mulgrew is a very average midfielder, Scott brown is whole hearted & Naismith has been decent for Everton. I 100% believe we have similar players if not slightly better.

Why do we have to play 442, every team comes & out numbers us we can't put 2 passes together & get over run. It's so blatantly obvious. Why play Walters and long who are basically going to do the same thing try win headers or get on the end of flick on's.

We are not Germany or Spain but at least give us the best chance to try keep the ball & small bit more & have some controlled possession instead of 70 yard punts. Maybe get our wingers & forwards 15yards further forward rather than looking at it in the air.

I can't believe Stephen ward is gettin away with it, he's beyond poor.

We surely have to give ourselves a better chance than some of the luck we've enjoyed lately.

Crosby87
14/11/2014, 11:43 PM
We all agree we are no world beaters, we all agree that we have a lot of average footballers & some decent ones to. There is no way that Scotland are as far ahead of us in terms of personnel than what tonight would suggest.

Truer words have never been spoken my friend.

And there in lies the rub.

wonder88
14/11/2014, 11:44 PM
The luck we had in this group so far was absent tonight. Both full-backs poor and if Wilson is fit he should play instead of Ward if there no one else available. The 2 central midfielders seemed to be outnumbered, so I would not be too hard on them, plus quick ball forward style does not help them. Keogh was the best Irish player I think.
I had major doubts about the dream team management when they got the job, but they have been lucky until tonight, so too early to judge yet.

MeathDrog
15/11/2014, 12:04 AM
McClean has to be dropped.

Colbert Report
15/11/2014, 12:26 AM
Robbie Brady is a much better player than James McClean and if fit, should start

boysingreen
15/11/2014, 1:30 AM
What a woeful performance. Pretty sure we had more touches in the Scotland half with our heads than our feet. Why bother?

Dreadful day in the campaign, and a nice little treat that we get to suck on it for 4-5 months til the next fixture.

The Fly
15/11/2014, 1:31 AM

He'd also need half of Keane's mobility as well.

His lack of it is his major deficiency.

Maroon 7
15/11/2014, 2:58 AM
Hate to sound arrogant but Wales are well ahead of both sides in that regard at this point in time. If only we had a goalscoring centre-forward!

I don't think there is much difference at all talent wise between the three sides apart from the one obvious exception in the Wales team. Having one world class player can make a huge difference to a team as Ireland discovered when Roy Keane was in his pomp.

tricky_colour
15/11/2014, 3:24 AM
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/68ADF4427D1145153116044759040_32fe3559c3f.0.1.2981 662331065690891.mp4 (https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/68ADF4427D1145153116044759040_32fe3559c3f.0.1.2981 662331065690891.mp4?versionId=HYEMyALgQsUzPQoz9apb QAmEE7CAlN4T)

Apparently they worked on that in training. We should have marked them better one on one.
I have yet to see empty space score a gaol!
Anyway on the bright side, we will normally be able to field a much better midfield and we
only lost by one goal, so it could have been worse.

Fixer82
15/11/2014, 3:58 AM
Not much between the two teams, a very nice goal for them and no goals for us. That was the difference.
We will have the chance to play them again at home.

At last, a common sense post instead of all this emotion.
Keogh for me had an outstanding game and barely put a foot wrong.
Cannot understand the criticism he's getting.
We were overrun by a more composed midfield. That was the difference.
We switched off for their goal. Brown was in the box on his own unmarked for an eternity. I think it was Brady's fault.
It was a 90 miles an hour game. A real cup final and they didn't let the occasion get to them like we did.

Fair play to O'Neill. He put out a team we all wanted. We just weren't quite good enough

Fixer82
15/11/2014, 4:11 AM
What a woeful performance. Pretty sure we had more touches in the Scotland half with our heads than our feet. Why bother?

Dreadful day in the campaign, and a nice little treat that we get to suck on it for 4-5 months til the next fixture.

Yeah you're right.
Let's just jack it in!!!

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2014, 4:17 AM
Cannot understand the criticism he's getting.
He'll get criticised regardless of how he plays. He's an easy target.

Great analysis of the game by Steven Reid here: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/dropping-robbie-a-huge-call-oneill-should-have-started-him-no-matter-what-30746551.html

I don't necessarily agree that dropping Robbie was a mistake but certainly the way the team was set up was a major factor in the way the game unfolded.

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2014, 5:03 AM
I thought this was quite a fair report from Scotland too: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/alan-pattullo-football-prevailed-over-irish-brawn-1-3605990

paul_oshea
15/11/2014, 6:09 AM
As usual the optimism misplaced and the usual suspects found out just like the players.very poor and oneill very bad.

We are where we are in the rankings like I said and we probably will be for a long time.shocking shocking performance just as bad as trap and oneill talking crap about deserving a draw.

Everyone om here would be saying if we got a draw how great we were and that it wouldn't be down to luck.everyone was saying that we were better man for man and Scotland weren't up to mucj.well their team looked two tiers above us.

It was as bad as anything under trap and keanes thinly veiled pot at keane and Mon doesn't help things and don't try and tell me that's what it was cos it's exavctly what it was.

At least keane would have held up the ball last night. Our play was terrible time after time we hoofed it.its Scotland ffs. Control the ball, play the ball.

It was just as bad as anything under trap. I thought we could sneak a draw but I knew Scotland were better than us.

paul_oshea
15/11/2014, 6:12 AM
Oh ya and georgia? Give me a break. As I said not up to much.poland showed that pretty well didn't they?

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2014, 6:30 AM
Pot-shots at disagreeing posters on here? Check.
Pot-shots at Robbie Keane? Check.
Casting doubt on all previous positive results? Check.
Reminders about how he'd called it right all along? Check.

It's a Paul O'Shea victory post alright.

All it was missing was Seamus Coleman conceding a penalty and we'd have the POSH Full House.

paul_oshea
15/11/2014, 7:01 AM
Well unfortunately I'd much rather I was wrong. I'd feel a lot better.

It's hard when ye call it right. But softened by being a realist and managing expectations accordingly.

The other performances particularly georgia were just as bad but as has been said before we got lucky.

shakermaker1982
15/11/2014, 7:18 AM
bad day at the office.

We can play better and it's a shame we didn't vary our play. Scotland adapted to our aerial bombardment early on. Walters and Long were isolated when they did pick up scraps and I think that game was crying out for somebody like Wes to link up play. Pity he was injured.

Folk are going on about Scotland as if they played like Brazil in the 1970 World Cup in all the reports I read over last 10 hours, they played a little bit more football than us and scored one well taken goal because our team switched off at a set piece.

They caused us problems from crosses because our centre backs weren't winning their headers. Bread and butter stuff. If they weren't winning headers they were giving needless free kicks away. Coleman has been getting slagged but defensively he was covering for O'Shea and Keogh and made a number of blocks or did enough to put off opposition when close to goal. Pity we couldn't get him up the field where he is most effective.

McGeady was rattled and once he got the yellow card he was treading on egg shells. Same as Hendricks, difficult for a centre mid to pick up a yellow card so early in game. McClean was McClean, works hard but picks wrong option every time in possession and cannot take a set piece. We have a guy just like him in my Sunday league squad! Brady needs a chance at left mid.

Robbie swearing post match? Stay classy. Media will probably run with that story now for the next 4 days....

osarusan
15/11/2014, 7:36 AM
They won the midfield battle fairly comprehensively, but apart from that I didn't think there was much in it.

The goal didn't come from anything other than a well-worked set piece we didn't react to.

In midfield, we were far too deep for most of the game. On the occasions when the midfield got forward, we actually passed it round ok. But there were periods last night where the gap between midfield and attack was just massive, so there was no other option but to hoof it.

How would we have fared with McCarthy and/or Whelan in there? Were we defensively minded due to the absences, or would we have been anyway?

paul_oshea
15/11/2014, 7:42 AM
I think going on previous performances throughout the campaigns we would just have been the same. Scotland looked like brazil the way they played it on the floor and controlled in tight spaces compared to us. We out Britished the British with our football.

Well they'll have their win but they'll never have their freedom...

Freeee...oh wait no you didn't want that.