PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Football

Aaron
15/10/2014, 8:59 PM
I see theres a debate raging about the cost of Football in England, and was wondering how the LOI fared out. I done one for us and posted this on our forum:

Seen the whole debate about the cost of football in England and decided to calculate how much it costs to follow Derry City per season at the Brandywell. I just used the same things they used when calculating the total of what it would cost someone to follow their team:

Price of Ticket
Jersey
Programme
HT Draw
Food

Now this is the total things the average matchday goer will spend money on, of course not everyone does. Dis-counting Season Ticket holders, I calculated on someone who may buy a ticket for every match. I dont this just for Adults too, and not Juniors

Dearest:

Match Day Ticket: £12

Programme: £2

Jersey: £45

HT Draw: £1

Food: £5

In total this season we had 23 home games, and adding this together above the dearest is £508 (I added an extra £3 because the Soligorsk tickets were £15 IIRC)

Cheapest

Match Day Ticket: £10

Programme: £2

Jersey: £45

HT Draw: £1

Food: £5

In total the cheapest to follow us this season for an Adult is £464 (again I added £5 because of the cost of the Soligorsk tickets)

Dearest: £508
Cheapest: £464

Now obviously it will be different for people who bring children to matches, and of course not everyone buys the above, but for me over a 23 games season that is not bad at all. I know the club have no control over the catering side of it, but the pricing for following Derry City is fairly reasonable IMO

Anyone fancy doing their own clubs?

nigel-harps1954
16/10/2014, 9:52 AM
As a student following Finn Harps:

Match ticket: €5
Programme: €3
Jersey: €40 (this season I believe, didn't manage to get one for 2014)
HT draw: €2
Food: €4

14 home league games. 2 cup games at home this season, one EA, one FAI replay.

€224 euro to follow Finn Harps at home. €304 euro for an adult priced match ticket.

seand
16/10/2014, 10:25 AM
I'm a massive [insert name of British football team here] fan. I wouldn't go near the League of Ireland cos it's ****e and too expensive. It only costs me this much to watch Arsepool Chelstic United...
Sky Sports 36/month = €432
Bt sport 15/month (dunno if this is right I can't easily find the price but I'm guessing it's ballpark) = €180
Because I'm a massively insane dedicated and loyal fan of Arsepool Chelstic United I go to one... count 'em League of Ireland fans, count em!... ONE home game a season. Not just one every couple of seasons, one home game EVERY season.... €450
Jersey €60
down the pub for 'big' matches against our local rivals Totever City Thistle: €250

That's less than €1,500 to watch the glorious Arsepool Chelstic United, mainly on television. Suck on it, League of Ireland fans!

NeverFeltBetter
16/10/2014, 11:36 AM
Is "It's too expensive" a common excuse from people who choose not to follow the LOI?

Nailor
16/10/2014, 11:52 AM
Is "It's too expensive" a common excuse from people who choose not to follow the LOI?

In recent times, yes it is used, especially if you have kids and/or don't live particularly close to the Home ground.

Nailor
16/10/2014, 12:17 PM
In Tallaght

Match ticket: €15
Programme: €4
Jersey: €60
HT draw: €2
Food: €7

Optional extra's:

HT Bottle: €3.50
Fanzine: €4
Golden Goal: €4

So for league games Only, without the optional extra's ; €504

13 cup games and friendlies, some €10, some €15 entry fee only: €205

Add programs, food etc for those: €143 approx

So € 852 for home games this season.

Ezeikial
16/10/2014, 1:14 PM
In Tallaght

So € 852 for home games this season.

Brolly costs presumably are an away expense only?

outspoken
16/10/2014, 3:50 PM
Student town fan
Ticket: €8
Programme: €3
Jersey: €45 (am I right there lads can't remember)
HT draw: €3
Food: No chipper this season so hard to say but cupa and sambo for 3.50 hard to beat

CrowdedHouse
16/10/2014, 5:43 PM
Galway

Match Ticket: €10

Programme : €3

Jersey : €45 (guessing here, no interest in jerseys )

HT Draw : €2 (this is a lotto ticket, not drawn at the match)

Food: €4

So this season I think I missed 3 home games, was at 1 League Cup

12 x Tickets = €120

Polo Shirt €25

Programme: €36

Lotto €40

Food €40

So c. €260 personal spend

placid casual
16/10/2014, 6:46 PM
Brolly costs presumably are an away expense only?

only for the away games in the rundown $hithole grounds in the LOI that provide no rain cover.
like Oriel Park for example