PDA

View Full Version : Idea to reduce fixture congestion

CollegeTillIDie
13/11/2004, 10:27 AM
Well done Cork City biys

We have our own reasons in Belfield for being pleased with your win at Drogs last night.

What do ye think of the following suggestion for getting over the backlog fixtures issue for next season?

At the moment it is certain that Shels , Cork City and Longford Town will be playing in European football next season. What is not yet clear and will remain unclear until Friday is which of ye ( SHels or Cork City) will be playing in the preliminary rounds of the Champions League. When the Intertoto Cup spot qualifier is known ( assuming it is still going to be held next season) , I would suggest the following.
The League kicks off in Mid-March.
On St. Patrick's Day Cork City v IC qualifier; Longford Town v Shels
Remainder of League fixtures in this round played on Weekend above clubs are idle due to playing in European games.

Official kick off of League all EUro qualifiers play as normal

Easter Monday IC Qualifier V Longford Town; Shels V Cork
Remainder of League fixtures in this round played on 2nd Weekend above clubs are idle due to playing in European games.

What this would achieve would be... Euro qualifiers would have 2 games extra played before Europe kicks in
Reduce fixture back long after Euro runs are over, and because the extra early rounds played would be guaranteed competitive games, Shels Cork etc would be in better shape for the Euro games than they were this year, especially the IC qualifiers whoever they turn out to be...

What do ye think?

Gary
13/11/2004, 10:36 AM
Great idea. Now If you dont mind, i'll split this, and put it in eL general, where it will get more exposure.

Only thing is, do you actually think anyone in the eL 'halls of power' would even come close to comprehending your idea, let alone implement it???

CollegeTillIDie
13/11/2004, 10:45 AM
Gary

Thanks for the comment. I would be available for consultation on a contract basis with a hefty pay off if they shaft me before I got to complete the contract :p

Dr.Nightdub
13/11/2004, 11:11 AM
That's a great idea, kinda like the Charity Shield in England but with a competitive edge and also a practical benefit in terms of reducing a back-log of games.

A face
13/11/2004, 12:28 PM
Great idea .... but .... if it makes sense, surely it wont be listened to !! :o

b_mcsweeney
14/11/2004, 12:18 PM
this idea just makes too much sense to actually get implemented. which is a shame.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the favourable comments lads. Just another benefit from having a University in your League. Good ideas :D

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 3:17 PM
Though where does the Setanta Cup fit into all of this? :confused:

A face
14/11/2004, 3:34 PM
Though where does the Setanta Cup fit into all of this? :confused:

Exactly ... while we'd get by without it, it would have been a shot in the arm for all concerned. It was sure to raise public interest .....hope it does go ahead.

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 3:55 PM
Exactly ... while we'd get by without it, it would have been a shot in the arm for all concerned. It was sure to raise public interest .....hope it does go ahead.

I'm not too excited due to the format. I imagine Cork and Shels and Glens and Linfield to be kept apart. So we'll probably see a group of Shels, Longford and Glens in one group. That's two more Shels v Longford, plus 3 league games and up to two of three cup ties, and maybe only 2 cross border games for each side. I don't want to fall into assuming we're better than our Northern counterparts but I see Cork finishing top of the other group and a Shels v Cork final. That's assuming all treat it with competition. Seems to lack a bit of flavour for me. Not enough cross border action. Though if Cork lose the title next week an early season game with Shels in an all island final could give them the chance to get some revenge. I think the cup could have done with an extra two from each league to add in more cross border ties but that would add even more fixtures.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 4:08 PM
as regards the Setanta Cup as anything been said as to the timing of it?

I imagine it would be played in the immediate either post Norn Iron season or possibly as a warm up for Europe in which case my plan would be even more vital and perhaps 2 further fixtures would be required to make room for that.

Poor Student
14/11/2004, 4:31 PM
Start of ours, end of theirs. April/May I guess. It is a Euro preperation, so it must be before June and I doubt NI would extend the calendar further to add more matches so it has to be April or May. Maybe even starts in March.

CollegeTillIDie
14/11/2004, 6:13 PM
Start of ours, end of theirs. April/May I guess. It is a Euro preperation, so it must be before June and I doubt NI would extend the calendar further to add more matches so it has to be April or May. Maybe even starts in March.

Has to be before the Marching season you mean ;)

NY Hoop
15/11/2004, 1:46 PM
Good idea but it makes too much sense. IMO the league should start the first weekend of march and end on the second last weekend in october with the Cup Final the finale the following week. Bizarre to be playing games after the Cup Final :o

Used to swap emails with Roy Donney who, in fairness always made an efforrt to get back but since then no answers from anybody in there. Class A **** ups in that building.

Imagine going back to the proven failure of a 12 team league. MORONS :mad:

KOH

jimhacker
15/11/2004, 2:40 PM
12 team league is better than 10.

Playing Drogheda twice in a week is a nonsense. In general , meeting a side three times is better ( tho not much) than four.

NY Hoop
15/11/2004, 2:46 PM
Agree with playing same team twice in a week. Absolutely farcical but can be over come with common sense. Sadly that is something they will never have.

However the 12 team league has been proven as a failure. How can you have more away/home games than next team? Quality isnt there. You will have 3 teams going for the top spots, about 5 teams in the middle, and 4 teams at the bottom. In essence it means more meaningless games at end of season.

2 divisions of 10 teams is the way forward with a dedicated one hour programme on monday nights at 10pm...........

KOH

Poor Student
15/11/2004, 4:47 PM
Agree with playing same team twice in a week. Absolutely farcical but can be over come with common sense. Sadly that is something they will never have.

However the 12 team league has been proven as a failure. How can you have more away/home games than next team? Quality isnt there. You will have 3 teams going for the top spots, about 5 teams in the middle, and 4 teams at the bottom. In essence it means more meaningless games at end of season.

2 divisions of 10 teams is the way forward with a dedicated one hour programme on monday nights at 10pm...........

KOH

UCD got a pretty raw deal with the fixture list this year in the 12 team system. Got Kildare, Harps and Bray away twice and only once at home.

onceahoop
15/11/2004, 9:41 PM
I agree again. Spot on NY Hoop

Guerzy, I'm concerned about your well being :D

Seriously though, they'll never never change. They can't make there minds up as to what they want. There isn't a proactive idea amongst them. :mad:

pete
17/11/2004, 1:37 PM
CL & Uefa Cup don't cause too much fixture congestion (unless club also has long FAI Cup run but because games played at weekends the Inter Toto Cup has prospect to lead to lot of postponed games. Was only luck that longford not have to pay 2 games this midweek.

I've proposed before that postponed games be immeadiately refixed at first available date so not to leave situation where postponed games not played for 2-3 months like City this year.