PDA

View Full Version : WC2002 Officals

Jack_2001
08/01/2002, 11:46 AM
No irish officals have been selected for the world cup (ie Eddie's stayin' at home this year!!).

http://a1801.g.akamai.net/f/1801/2004/3d/www.fifa.com/wc/2002/refs/names.pdf

Éanna
08/01/2002, 4:23 PM
damn flamin right. we're embarassing irish soccer enough!

DubRef
08/01/2002, 8:58 PM
We should be proud of Eddie Foleys achievement of being selected to officiate at the last World Cup and European Champoinship.

There are very few Irishmen who can say they took part in a World Cup and a Euro Championship.

Eddie is a model professional and should be applauded for reaching the highest level of refereeing (or assisting in Eddie's case). Its a pity he will not be there again this year. Lets hope its not too long until we have some more Irish officials at a major Championship.

James
08/01/2002, 9:04 PM
agreed Dubref
fair play to any Irish ref who has represented their country overseas..
eanna youd want to grow up a small bit with that kinda attitude
its the hightlight for any person irrespective of what sport of field or ability to represent their country

maybe you might do it some day eanna..but i wouldnt hold my breath waiting :D

Réiteoir
09/01/2002, 1:44 AM
Hey Éanna, tone it down a bit mate!

Wouldn't you just love to represent your nation on the world's biggest stage - until you have done it, I don't think you have a right to pass judgement on the Panel.

Sorry to say that, but there it is!

Anyway I think Alan Kelly will be the next Irish referee to go to a major tournament...

Réiteoir
Moderator - Refereeing Section

Jack_2001
09/01/2002, 7:39 AM
Hmm I think I'd agree eith Éanna on this one....
I'm not sure if it was in WC98 or not, but Eddie fecked up a major decision, and gave a penalty to France I think it was when the offence took place WAY outside of the box, and like everyone knew it, even George Hamilton was struggling... "well ahm.... looking at it again...... he emmmm.... had a decsion to make and he made it".

It has to be said that it was an embarrassing moment for irish officiating

Réiteoir
09/01/2002, 9:13 AM
I remeber that game very well - it was France vs Czech Republic in Euro 2000, played in Bruges.

I was at the game, which was refereed by Graham Poll of England (the other Assistant was Phil Sharp) - and was up the end where the incident took place.

To be fair to Eddie, the "penalty" incident happened so fast that he had to make a split second decision and flag for either a free in on the edge of the area or a pen.

Hardest job in the world....

Éanna
09/01/2002, 9:51 AM
when i see an irish referee capable of refereeing, i'll be proud to see him ref every game. so far i haven't. any time i've seen eddie "axel" foley running the line, he has been dire.
as for alan kelly, being a city fan, i've only seen him once or twice, and he does look a cut above the rest.

Éanna
09/01/2002, 9:54 AM
Originally posted by Réiteoir
Wouldn't you just love to represent your nation on the world's biggest stage - until you have done it, I don't think you have a right to pass judgement on the Panel.

that's pushing it a bit. that's like saying you can't criticise bertie ahern unless you've been taoiseach or you can't criticise george bush unless you've been US president. i'm only commenting on what i see, and based on that, i haven't seen an irish official up to the required standard.
i would happily represent my country-IF i was good enough.

DubRef
09/01/2002, 3:10 PM
In relation to the France v Czech Republic match in Euro 2000, it would appear to everyone that Eddie messed up. The decision was incorrect so I suppose responsibility has to be taken by the officials on the day.

However, it is known within refereeing circles that Graham Poll used Eddie Foley as a scapegoat for his part in the decision. Eddie took all of the blame for the decision when all of the blame was not his. Poll will be at the next World Cup, Eddie will not.

Another point to remember is that Eddie Foley officiated at other matches at the World Cup and the Euro Championships. His marks for those matches were excellent, so much so that he was a whisker away from being retained for the remainder of the last World Cup in France. One of Eddie's decisions has been used on a FIFA educational video. We tend to forget the ones he gets right!!

It is no fluke that Eddie was selected for major Championships. He has been studied by senior European assessors at International and Champions League matches. Anyone who knows anything about refereeing will tell you that Eddie is one of the top assistants in Europe.

Just because he doesn't give everything to Cork City, doesn't mean he is not a good official. Perhaps we need to take off our rose coloured spectacles every once in a while!!

Réiteoir
09/01/2002, 3:31 PM
I agree whole-heartedly with you DubRef - Poll did use Eddie as a scapegoat - I can't remember any report in the press criticise Poll for the peno decision - they all blamed Mr Foley.

Eddie IS one of the top Assistants in Europe along with Phil Sharp (who I consider to be THE best Assistant, not only in Europe, but worldwide).

I wouldn't be surprised that come the Champions League Final in Glasgow this May, if no British team is taking part, that both Eddie and Phil run the line to a British referee (Hugh Dallas, Graham Barber, or even Graham Poll).

Here's hoping!

pete
09/01/2002, 3:44 PM
I don't really remember the WC incident but referees don't make major finals on flukes. However unless you in the top few officials its unlikely you will survive a big gaff.

I'm sure UEFA & FIFA constantly monitor the officials in order to pick the very best for the major championships as they're such an important part of running a major competition. I think this is why eventhough an official from a small obscure country is selected you'll rarely see that they aren't up to the job.

Fair play to Eddie for getting through to the last WC as he probably has a big handicap living in a small country with far les high profile matches to get noticed.

James
09/01/2002, 3:52 PM
exactly pete thats the kinda attitude i had, esp the small country bit with less high profile games to get noticed.
Eanna we all bitch about refs after games and during games for errors, but to slag a ref who has performed well enough to be called not only onto a UEFA or FIFA, but to make the WC finals, thus he represent Ireland is simply childish

Well done Eddie

Jim Smith
09/01/2002, 11:59 PM
... I believe the Perluigi Cannini (I've no idea who to spell it but he's the bald Italian ref) is quite unpopular in Italy although everybody else thinks he's great. Maybe footie fans are fickle the world over? :D

Jack_2001
10/01/2002, 8:44 AM
I think his surname is Collina or Colina (definitely pronounced like that). Good point, but the fatal flaw is that we know that ALL english soccer fans LOVE Poll :D and we know that all Glaswegans LOVE Hugh Dallas :D so that's that argument shot down :p

Éanna
10/01/2002, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by James

Eanna we all bitch about refs after games and during games for errors, but to slag a ref who has performed well enough to be called not only onto a UEFA or FIFA, but to make the WC finals, thus he represent Ireland is simply childish

just my opinion.......
and i have seen the guy in other games bar city matches, so i'm looking at it from an objective view point.