PDA

View Full Version : Germany V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 14th October 2014 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Stuttgart88
16/10/2014, 5:20 PM
He clearly wanted it more. He got well ahead of him, and I think had he not got on it as cleanly would or at least should have been a penatly. It was a great worked goal, I dont say the goal was lucky, but i dont think we would be able pull that type of goal again and again and I dont think Oshea would have got it as good as he did. Just remember the glaring opportunity 10 years ago in paris!
What goals are ever scored again and again though?

We did enough to get a goal when we needed one twice in a row now, for all intents and purposes. Of course we won't always but it's a good sign especially as I think we all agree there is potential improvement in this team. So far so good, but still work to be done is how I see it.

By coincidence (or quantifiable certainty) I was sitting beside a guy I used to work with in Dublin. We joked that O'Shea owed us that goal for Paris in 2004!

Stuttgart88
16/10/2014, 6:05 PM
I only just read liam Mackey's delightful match report. Great stuff.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/centurion-oshea-to-the-rescue-291397.html

However, go to the footnotes by Miguel Delaney. One of his points is that Whelan is essential for his defensive organisation, and that the players all know it. I've been kind of leaning to that view, not with very high conviction!, even though I think as a fully functional midfielder its hard to see anything else in him. But underestimate his importance at your peril?

Stephen Hunt in the Indo on the day of the Georgia game said something different but not entirely dissimilar, that he's a very streetwise player, able to handle himself in tough company and always in the ref's ear.

I think Whelan will divide opinion for decades. Maybe someone like John O'Shea knows best though.

mark12345
16/10/2014, 7:30 PM
He clearly wanted it more. He got well ahead of him, and I think had he not got on it as cleanly would or at least should have been a penatly. It was a great worked goal, I dont say the goal was lucky, but i dont think we would be able pull that type of goal again and again and I dont think Oshea would have got it as good as he did. Just remember the glaring opportunity 10 years ago in paris!

I don't know of a bigger John O'Shea critic on this board than myself. I have questioned his position in the Irish team for years now, even going back before his two blunders versus Italy at Croke Park. However I am glad to see his wonderful contribution against Germany and glad that he proved me wrong on the night. As happy as I am for O'Shea, I was just as impressed at his command of the penalty area. Time and again German attacks were thwarted by the O'Shea led defence. Haven't heard too many people speak about the new look defence, but they seem to be doing their job nicely at the present time even if the parts don't appear to be equal to the sum of parts (or however that goes).

geysir
16/10/2014, 7:41 PM
You just mentioned we were lucky about 6 times in the one post :rolleyes:

I doubt whether McAteer or Whelan or Houghton could come close to replicating their goal, even after a 100 attempts, I doubt o'shea could come close to replicating his.
That is not luck nor does the rarity of it have any reductionist meaning, that has to do with anticipating and taking the chance when offered and instinctively doing exactly what was needed at the time, to get the ball (gloriously) into the net. That game is over and we are extremely unlikely to ever see us score a goal like that again, just like we don't see a replication of most every instinctively brilliant goal ever scored.

DannyInvincible
16/10/2014, 8:51 PM
Unfortunately I agree with you. The end justifies the means, and herein lies the fickleness of the fan. Had that goal not gone in at the end, I'd be fuming.

Thing is, though, after going a goal down, O'Neill quickly effected the change that allowed the opportunity for us to score to arise. There wouldn't have been a goal had there not been a plan B. He should be rightly commended for that.

We got lucky against the Germans, and one who thinks differently is misguided.

In what sense did we "get lucky"? For all their possession, Germany never truly penetrated us. We kept them out very well. We were brave, organised and dedicated. The effort required great focus, concentration and discipline. It was nothing like the last-gasp backs-to-the-wall stuff in Moscow. We made Germany look like total duds.

ONeill was 1 min away from getting slaughterd in the media, but a lucky goal and he's the new messiah.

Nothing lucky about it. The goal was well worked. It was majestic; a thing of pure beauty. It came as a direct result of us quickly changing our game-plan. We could have had another goal had Hoolahan placed his earlier effort a bit better!

Cannot understand why the so called superfans even give a crap about it to be honest. How does it affect them?

It's self-congratulation, isn't it?

Predator
16/10/2014, 9:11 PM
I only just read liam Mackey's delightful match report. Great stuff.
Someone have a word with the editor...Tony Kroos anything to Toni Kroos? Good report overall, that said.

tricky_colour
16/10/2014, 11:28 PM
Those few sloppy errors, they are now consistant errors, and it's constantly coming from two players - Marc Wilson, and Stephen Ward.
I'm tired of Wilson. He's just bloody lazy. I've no personal issues with the guy, but it's the small, really small things, and I'd love for some of you to watch out for it. When he gets the ball, he always insists on taking an extra touch. His basic passing, for a guy considered to be a ball-playing centrehalf, is off. Watch how many times when he is making a pass, the receiving player has to check back in/out because the pass is either behind or aschew. It's probably pettiness on my part, but as far as I'm concerned these little things are what add up to big mistakes.
Ward, I'm loathe to criticise, because he defended very well last night, but again, if he just tightened up some of the sloppiness he'd improve to a huge degree. He's a full-back - our only full-back - therefore he knows he is going to be taking throw-ins. It is astounding how many times he takes a bad throw, and how many times the ball is just not good enough to the player receiving the ball. It was the cause of one great German raid in the second half - the ball was thrown to Quinn at throat level, the ball was lost and Germany broke. Such a small and easy thing to eradicate.

I don't know if I have noticed Ward or Wilson being anyone sloppier than anyone else, (well maybe I recall an error from Wilson)
I don't particularly recall one from Ward though, mind you I am watching on a stream much of the time and it is not easy to
tell which green blob is which (unless it is Andy Reid where the blob is somewhat larger :p). I was disappointed with Wards bad pass because
it will be ammunition for his enemies.

Even though the consequence was worse, I can almost be lenient on criticising the backing off for the goal, because it's more of a result of tiredness than it is of laziness. Remember you've a guy in Stephen Quinn (who was visibly puffing in the first half at a German free-kick) who is not playing week-in week-out for Hull Tigers, against Toni Kroos, leader of the new free galacticos over in Madrid. Fatigue is what happened there, and with the greatest of respect to our lads, it's bloody understandable.

Well I don't know if it was tiredness, it requires more energy to back off than stay still!!!!

Which beggs the question why did he back off? I am trying to mentally put myself in the same position
and ask if I would have backed off and why? I am kind of stumped for an answer.

We were stuck inside the two most defensive thirds of our half for approximately 50 mins until Germany scored. It was inevitable that a side with so much possession was going to seize on a moment of weakness.

I didn't think were looked a bad as in he Euros were were more forced into that position, it seemed more tactical and indeed we had
a lot more possession I think. certainly the result was better.

DannyInvincible
16/10/2014, 11:44 PM
mind you I am watching on a stream much of the time and it is not easy to
tell which green blob is which (unless it is Andy Reid where the blob is somewhat larger :p).

You'll have to sort that out. Why not install Hola (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en) on Google Chrome (https://www.google.com/chrome/?) and enjoy RTÉ live in high definition (http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/)?

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 12:53 AM
what exactly was lucky about a quick throw-in followed by some decent wing play, a deep cross brilliantly turned back across the goal and our centre half (yes, miles from his own area) getting across a world class centre half to turn the ball brilliantly into the corner on the net?

please advise.

Indeed you could say the German goal was lucky an inch or two the other was and it would have came back out (unless it hit the keeper).

Indeed as the game drew to a close I though it was a reasonable result away to the World Champions. The draw was a bonus.

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 2:23 AM
I was heavily involved with Irish Pitch and Putt. There's a put-down brandished by the older crew to the younger upstarts that transcends sports.

The fella who is credited with saying it in our game won his first Irish championship many years ago by 1 shot; the fellow who was leading pitched directly into the cup from the teebox, the ball crashed out of the hole and went out of bounds. The chap shot bogey and missed out on the championship by 1 shot. The fella who beat pitched big on the final hole, went out of bounds but the ball struck concrete, came back onto the course, and the chap hit par to win by 1 shot. Approached by the defeated rival at the end, to be told how lucky he was, he responded with: "There's no room for that story on your scorecard, and there's no room for that story when I'm engraving the cup."

Of course such competitions are not played over one hole. In a golf championship it is over 78 holes (or thereabouts, this is not a maths test!).

Luck only really comes into play when the sides are fairly evenly matched.

Anyhow I would maintain that there is room to putt a (lucky) beside the winners on the score card and indeed an (unlucky) on the losers score card.

Indeed it would just require a small asterisk by the name, eg *, **.

* lucky
** unlucky

Something I think it would be useful to introduce on the grounds of fairness.

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 4:40 AM
You'll have to sort that out. Why not install Hola (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en) on Google Chrome (https://www.google.com/chrome/?) and enjoy RTÉ live in high definition (http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/)?

You know what I just might do that!!
In fact I will certainly give it a go.
However whether it work or not remains to be seen, I am somewhat sceptical, would be brilliant if it does though.

[update]

BRILLIANT!!!!!

It does seem to work, I watch a clip of O'Shea goal from the RTE site using it in Chrome, when I
tried to access the same clip from Firefox it said it is restricted to another territory.
The resolution was not very good though similar to the streams I watch, certainly not HD,
however I watched other stuff on youtube in HD using it so it may not be broadcast in HD there.

I will have to investigate further, but it certainly works to a certain extend it gives me an Irish IP.

However other stuff I watch on RTE via Firefox seem to be in a similar low quality so I guess that is how it is broadcast.
I would need to find something that is broadcast HD to give it a proper test.

But thanks a lot for that, the cheque is in the post!! :p

On the review site it says it is the best thing on the internet since adblock, I would disagree
it is better than adblock, indeed I can't think of a better ad-on ever!!

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 12:50 PM
Speaking of useful chrome extensions I found a search feature which was missing from Chrome, the ability to highlight a word and search
the same page for further occurrences. I stopped using Chrome because it did not have that feature. There were dozens of extensions which
allowed you to highlight text and search a different site for it, but bizarrely not the current page, which is something I need to do so regularly I ditched
Chrome because it lacked the feature.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/searchbar/fjefgkhmchopegjeicnblodnidbammed?hl=en

paul_oshea
17/10/2014, 12:54 PM
Tricky do you wear glasses?

DannyInvincible
17/10/2014, 1:51 PM
Speaking of useful chrome extensions I found a search feature which was missing from Chrome, the ability to highlight a word and search
the same page for further occurrences. I stopped using Chrome because it did not have that feature. There were dozens of extensions which
allowed you to highlight text and search a different site for it, but bizarrely not the current page, which is something I need to do so regularly I ditched
Chrome because it lacked the feature.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/searchbar/fjefgkhmchopegjeicnblodnidbammed?hl=en

Are you talking about a particular word/phrase search within a page or searching Google for a highlighted word or phrase on a particular page? Either way, both can be done on Chrome. You don't need extensions. To find examples of a particular word or phrase on a page, press 'Ctrl' and 'F' (or click on the control/menu button on the top-right of the browser and select 'Find...'). To do a Google search for a particular word or phrase, highlight the text you'd like to search Google for, right-click and then select 'Search Google for...'.

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 3:25 PM
Are you talking about a particular word/phrase search within a page or searching Google for a highlighted word or phrase on a particular page? Either way, both can be done on Chrome. You don't need extensions. To find examples of a particular word or phrase on a page, press 'Ctrl' and 'F' (or click on the control/menu button on the top-right of the browser and select 'Find...'). To do a Google search for a particular word or phrase, highlight the text you'd like to search Google for, right-click and then select 'Search Google for...'.

To search the current page with that method if too labour intensive and also require the use of the keyboard.

For example if I wanted to find Grealish in the news. I type it into the search bar and click google, then I click the most relevant link,
then I click "jack" or "grealish" in the searchbar and it will find the first occurrence. So basically I only need to type the search term in once.
All the rest can be done with simple mouse clicks. It is much more work using Chomes search, I have to type the search term in twice, or
copy and paste it twice, it is considerably more effort and it is pain having to type the search phrase twice, ie it is bad design and
make unnecessary work for me. Furthermore I can do it all with the mouse if the text I want to search for is already on the screen
which it invariably is because the reason I want to search for ti is because I have just seen it in a web page, eg and article may mention a player
and I want more info on him, so I just click search. highlight his name, click the google button, click the link and then click the search term again.
I don't need to take my hand of the mouse at all or indeed hold a mouse but on down, it is all done in a few clicks. It is much harder doing the same via chrome's search,
which is pretty disappointing really as it could have been so much better.

It may not sound much but when you are doing a lot of searches it adds up to lot of waste time and pointless efforts.
It is still not as good as it could be though.

Charlie Darwin
17/10/2014, 3:34 PM
Ctrl+F and "Grealish" should be a lot quicker than messing around with mouse clicks. I'm guessing it's not part of Chrome as standard because it's not a particularly useful feature.

EAFC_rdfl
17/10/2014, 4:26 PM
My god

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 5:16 PM
Ctrl+F and "Grealish" should be a lot quicker than messing around with mouse clicks. I'm guessing it's not part of Chrome as standard because it's not a particularly useful feature.

All I have to do is double click grealish then click the search button, in total 3 clicks and one mouse moment.
To do it your way I have to take my hand off the mouse, hold down control and F, type g r e a l i s h, put my hand back on the mouse and move the mouse pointer to the search arrow
and click search, that is easily twice as much effort.

I know some people might like doing mindlessly repetitive tasks (such as the developers of chrome) but I don't I'm much rather spend that time
typing mindless but different posts in here.

Anyhow I tend to do searching a lot, perticulartly searching for a web page containing a word and then then searching for the word in that page.
Why would I want to use method which is 3, 4 or 5 times as much work?

It also remembers my previous searches so is easy to switch between searches, indeed it is pretty useful al round, there may be one of two minor niggles,
it's like going from Lionel Blair to Lionel Messi in terms of ability!!

Charlie Darwin
17/10/2014, 5:20 PM
I suspect most people are less reliant on their mouse than you, tricky. Chrome is designed to be a stripped down browser with no unnecessary frills - such niche frills are added as extensions because they're not useful for the vast majority.

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 6:22 PM
I suspect most people are less reliant on their mouse than you, tricky. Chrome is designed to be a stripped down browser with no unnecessary frills - such niche frills are added as extensions because they're not useful for the vast majority.

I don't know about that, I was using computers long before mouses came into use so was used to doing everything
from the keyboard. However it is time consuming switching between the two and it is more efficient to use only the
mouse when you can.

It would not have taken much effort to improve the usability, for example if I highlight some text and select search that text
should already be in the search field, that is not difficult to do it is pretty easy in fact.
Same goes for when I search the internet for a phrase, that phrase should automatically be copied into the search
field so it does not need to be retyped but it isn't, that is just bad design. Those thing are not frills IMO they are the very
basics.
I can't understand why it took so long for an extension to do that to be developed, there are hundred of useless
extensions.

Kingdom
17/10/2014, 6:24 PM
Tricky, what you need is a third hand, or some sort of voice aid, provided of course your voicebox is still in working order.

Drumcondra 69er
17/10/2014, 6:35 PM
Blog on the game for anyone interested, covers off the trip, game and RTE analysis so a bit of a long one!

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2014/10/friends-in-low-places.html

Stuttgart88
17/10/2014, 6:58 PM
Loved reading it, as always.

I have to say I had a very different experience. I got into Gelsenkirchen around noon on Tuesfay after an early morning flight from Stansted and a train from Dusseldorf via Essen.

I got to my hotel, Hotel Maritim, and it was in a lovely parkland setting just beyond Gelsenkirchen. I went into town hoping for a relaxing lunch and maybe a beer or two because my mate from Monaghan was still on his way up from Dusseldorf and Paul had gone awol. Town was pretty quiet as most Irish were in Dusseldorf or Essen, or nearby towns with more going on.

Gelsenkirchen itself was pretty ugly. It reminded me of Stillorgan shopping centre of old. Anyone who has been to Coventry will see a similarity, not surprising as both towns were bombed heavily during WW2. One bloke said its like Dundalk but I haven't been. Unimpressed, I went back to my hotel, ate, drank and chilled before meeting my mate around 4pm. A few beers and a tram ride later we were at the Stadium.

My match experience was much like D69er's and after hanging around until the stadium was nearly empty to savour the moment I got the tram back to town and found a really nice quiet bar with some Irish fans and a nice big widescreen telly. I plonked myself at the bar and watched the full European qualifying roundup including the surreal events in Belgrade and NI's super win in Greece. Ever since I was a kid I've loved the qualifying highlights of other groups. International football holds an appeal for me that I'm not sure today's generation will ever have.

Once the footy highlights were over I headed back to my hotel which had a late bar, had a nice glass of red and went to bed ecstatic, both at the result and knowing I wouldn't be crippled with a hangover. I resisted the currywurst.

I have to say it was a very "mature" experience but in its own way it was one of the very best.

tricky_colour
17/10/2014, 11:23 PM
Tricky, what you need is a third hand, or some sort of voice aid, provided of course your voicebox is still in working order.

Actually I *think* I saw a search add-on which was voice activated, I was probably mistaken though, it certainly would not work well on people names etc.

But the point is I can use this search add-on with one hand leaving the other hand free for "other things" ;)

shakermaker1982
18/10/2014, 7:37 AM
1 player who I've criticised in the past and who has gone under the radar with all the post match analysis but deserves a lot of props is Ward. I thought he was really solid the other night and seems to have really come on as a LB.

Just managed to catch Dunphy's 'analysis' and my word he has really lost the plot this time. Unbelievable a draw away at home against the World Champions and he's acting like we've got beaten by San Marino. He has watched a lot of football over the years? So what - MO'N has played and managed at the top level for donkeys years.

Did MO'N pick the right team? Not in my eyes but he has been in the game long enough to know best....I wouldn't have started Keane and left him up top on his own. Ken Early described Keane as almost like a 'lucky charm' on second captains and maybe that's why we persist with him which was harsh. He keeps getting picked because he scores goals however he isn't a lone front man and never has been. That's why Long would have been better in the role.

The McGeady experiment didn't work and I'd have started Hendrick instead of Whelan. However the result speaks for itself and MO'N deserves a lot of credit for the result. The Meyler selection at RB worked well, Walters covered a lot of ground at RM and I thought his subs were spot on.

Paddy Garcia
18/10/2014, 8:33 AM

Wow - that is a great tip - many thanks Danny

Stuttgart88
18/10/2014, 9:11 AM
I've just installed Hola but am a bit confused by VPN. What is it and why do I have to activate it? Do I need to turn it off after I exit Hola?

tricky_colour
18/10/2014, 5:20 PM
I've just installed Hola but am a bit confused by VPN. What is it and why do I have to activate it? Do I need to turn it off after I exit Hola?

As I understand it it is a bit like a proxy but I am unsure what the difference is, you should turn it off when not using it, you don't need to exit hola, it is an extension and so
turning it off via hola should be the same as exiting hola. You could also disable it in extensions easilly enough when not using
it, however you can have some tabs using hola and other tabs not using it or some tabs using it for different countries.
I use firefox most of the time so when I was not using it I would not be running chrome anyway.

[update] at least I think you can use a different country VPN for different tabs.
It is hard to be sure what is going on under the bonnet, it maybe that when you
set it to another country it changes that for all tabs.

I will perhaps have a look into it when I have the time

geysir
18/10/2014, 6:22 PM
Stutts, once the extension is installed, that's all you need to do.
FWIW, I only use Chrome when I want to use Hola extension to watch RTE/BBC players.

Charlie Darwin
18/10/2014, 9:38 PM
Stutts, once the extension is installed, that's all you need to do.
FWIW, I only use Chrome when I want to use Hola extension to watch RTE/BBC players.
If you ever decide to use Chrome more regularly, tricky knows of a great extension for locating text.

geysir
18/10/2014, 11:24 PM
If you ever decide to use Chrome more regularly, tricky knows of a great extension for locating text.

Now all he needs is some extension that puts the random text into some precise and concise order.

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 12:30 AM

Actualy I think I found the voice search I was looking for.

In Chrome there is an option "Enable "OK Google" to start a voice search"

I turned this on but it didn't see to work, said there was no mic, however I tried the mic jack on the back of the computer
and the mic was detected, seems there is problem with the one on the front, indeed I accidental plugged the speakers
into it they worked perfectly!!!

Anyhow the back microphone slot does work and I could do google searchers with it!!

I must say I was impressed when I said "Roy Keane" and it did a google search on Roy Keane!!

That is pretty impressive!! I thought names would completely throw it off!

I mean quite seriously impresssed I though voice recognition was supposed to be quite difficult.

I guess however it has some pretty sophisticated software behind it which know commonly seached terms.

I imagined my computer would go into over drive deciphering it but it didn't seem to trouble it at all!!!

I am just puzzled as to why the front mic socket does not work as a mic yet functions as a headphone
socket meaning I can plug my headphones or speaker into either, I think it used to work but
I am not sure, I never really used the mic socket, I do have an extension lead for those sockets
so I guess I could use the back socket with that.

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 12:32 AM
Now all he needs is some extension that puts the random text into some precise and concise order.

The days when a computer can make sense of my posts are a long way off I can assure you.

Ie Chriustman 2015 at the earlisst.

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 7:17 AM
Actualy I think I found the voice search I was looking for.

In Chrome there is an option "Enable "OK Google" to start a voice search"

I turned this on but it didn't see to work, said there was no mic, however I tried the mic jack on the back of the computer
and the mic was detected, seems there is problem with the one on the front, indeed I accidental plugged the speakers
into it they worked perfectly!!!

Anyhow the back microphone slot does work and I could do google searchers with it!!

I must say I was impressed when I said "Roy Keane" and it did a google search on Roy Keane!!

That is pretty impressive!! I thought names would completely throw it off!

I mean quite seriously impresssed I though voice recognition was supposed to be quite difficult.

I guess however it has some pretty sophisticated software behind it which know commonly seached terms.

I imagined my computer would go into over drive deciphering it but it didn't seem to trouble it at all!!!

I am just puzzled as to why the front mic socket does not work as a mic yet functions as a headphone
socket meaning I can plug my headphones or speaker into either, I think it used to work but
I am not sure, I never really used the mic socket, I do have an extension lead for those sockets
so I guess I could use the back socket with that.

Wow, after much faffing around I have sorted out the problem, on my computer
you can configure the mic socket to be a second speaker output and that is how
it was configured, not sure how I managed to do that but I have set it back to
a mic socket.

Seems to work really well when I tested it again with my headset on, not only did it
search for Roy Keane again but it also read back to me
"Roy Maurice Keane is an Irish football manager and former professional football player."!!!

I must say I am rather impressed!!!

[update]
I have figured out what must have happened now, any time I plugged anything into
a mic or speaker socket it used to, rather annoyingly, ask me what I had plugged in.
I thought that was stupid because they knew which socket I had plugged it into!
However at the time I didn't realise the sockets could be reconfigured by the software.
Eventually I found a way to turn that 'nag screen' off.
Anyhow I guess at some time I much have plugged the speaker into the mic socket
accidentally and selected speaker as I normally did, thus inadvertently reconfiguring
the socket, I was unaware anything had gone wrong because of course the speaker worked
normally as the mic socket was reconfigured.

Anyhow it is sorted now, but I am pretty impressed how sophisticated the computer
is, it is an ASUS and has really good hardware software for monitoring and changing
stuff, stuff you used to have to go into the bios to do like monitoring CPU temp
and changing boot order and other stuff I don't under stand.

I think I will have a play around with voice controlled search none and see how
good it is at it.

It might also be able to read out posts so I can have the pleasure of listening to
the crap I have just typed in!!

Could be good for the forum as I may well delete it once I see how bad it is :p

:)

It is pretty good it got David Cameron and Seamus Coleman first time!!

It got Dublin too, but it hit a brick wall with Sligo it does not seem to pick out the
S. It got it eventually when I turned down the TV and spoke louder. The S must sound
a bit like a background hissing.

tricky_colour
19/10/2014, 12:04 PM
It is not perfect though I did a search for images of Mike Hunt, didn't work very well :D

paul_oshea
19/10/2014, 11:18 PM
Kingdom thus paragraph got me thinking of your post earlier

In the first 20 minutes, Ireland seemed destined to go under even with their spirit, but the casualness of the Germany performance, manifest in an obsession with positional rotation when staying in the same place would have worked fine, allowed Ireland to get to half-time still in the game

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 12:55 AM
The Germans I know earlier said Ireland weren't lucky. Though they were very disparaging about their reserves. But they also doubted they would play that badly again in these qualifiers.

And on a vaguely related matter, the Bavarians said they have more right to a team than certain, er, 'colonial theme parks'. Though don't expect a bid for autonomy soon....

Charlie Darwin
20/10/2014, 1:17 AM
What 'colonial theme park' could you possibly be referring to? :sleepy:

DannyInvincible
20/10/2014, 1:22 AM
How do they reckon Bavaria are deserving of UEFA's recognition?

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 1:26 AM
Because Bavarians are like that, apparently. As in they reckon they could quite readily exist without the rest, but they prefer to stay in because of their strong national influence.

Charlie Darwin
20/10/2014, 1:26 AM
And they have lots of theme parks. If Gibraltar can have one national team, surely Bavaria can have at least five?

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 1:28 AM
Anyway a belated German perspective of last Tuesday...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/p480x480/1559504_10152446240626662_497283531745923600_o.jpg

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 1:30 AM
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/p843x403/1966271_10152443177161662_1218421675815574871_o.jp g

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 1:32 AM
And they have lots of theme parks. If Gibraltar can have one national team, surely Bavaria can have at least five?
What are you on (about) ??

Stuttgart88
20/10/2014, 7:45 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/p480x480/1559504_10152446240626662_497283531745923600_o.jpg thats actually very funny.

ArdeeBhoy
20/10/2014, 7:54 AM
Don't tell anyone with an evolutionary fixation...

geysir
20/10/2014, 9:49 AM

O'Schiesse fitted better

Kingdom
20/10/2014, 2:11 PM
I've watched the intro and it's very obvious the panel are aligning themselves in a particular argument against the management team. Some of their reasoning was incredibly arrogant, and just plain incorrect. At least Brady attempted to right Dunphy's line that Whelan was keeping out Hoolahan. But then Brady makes a fool of himself with his championship squad comment.

I hope to God Darragh Maloney grows into the role better, because he's well able to stand up, or put alternative arguments, to the B panel. He'll have to up his game with the A Panel, but they are going to have to an opposite viewpoint to Dunphy if they continue with Giles or Brady.

OwlsFan
21/10/2014, 12:14 PM
The Germans lost it when their fans started the wave. It was all downhill for them after that. It's ok (just about) when you're a sack load up against Gibraltar but when only a goal ahead? Utter arrogance which communicated itself to the team. Let that be a warning to the wavers at Lansdowne.

Stuttgart88
21/10/2014, 12:54 PM
Yep, I was thinking what a bunch of arrogant idiots. They had it coming after that.