PDA

View Full Version : Galway United

Terry
12/10/2014, 5:53 PM
It was announced today that from the start of next season the name of Galway fc will play under the name of Galway United fc. The fans have finally been heard.

Terry
12/10/2014, 6:24 PM
Full press release now available

http://galwayfc.ie/index.php/galway-football-club-galway-united/

nigel-harps1954
12/10/2014, 9:06 PM
Suppose it was always going to happen really. Good to see though. At least they can chant 'United, United' without sounding like a bunch of fools.

NeverFeltBetter
12/10/2014, 9:53 PM
As an outsider looking in, I would have thought resurrecting the name would have been a no-go, if only to keep alive the idea that the club is representative of the four entities involved in its creation, and not just a resurrection of the club that went out of business a few years ago. But I'm guessing the Salthill and Mervue elements of the club were either supportive or didn't care, so United it is. Why not?

bennocelt
12/10/2014, 10:04 PM
TBF this was always going to happen

gufcfan
12/10/2014, 10:07 PM
Window dressing.

Sheridan
12/10/2014, 10:19 PM
As an outsider looking in, I would have thought resurrecting the name would have been a no-go, if only to keep alive the idea that the club is representative of the four entities involved in its creation, and not just a resurrection of the club that went out of business a few years ago?
If only there was an extremely commonplace suffix that denoted the "union", if you will, of separate entities into a single club.

NeverFeltBetter
12/10/2014, 10:43 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is less about promoting unity, and more about taking on the mantle of the old Galway United.

I don't even see anything that wrong about it at this point though. It is Galway United, in stadium, colours and, most importantly, fanbase.

Edit: I mean, if they really wanted to promote unity, they'd give it some horrible amalgamation name like, I dunno, "SD Galway".

Mr A
13/10/2014, 8:42 AM
If they really wanted to show their unity they'd take an initial from all four entities involved, Salthill, County league, United and Mervue, hence becoming Galway SCUM.

Yossarian
13/10/2014, 9:15 AM
I presume they will now follow the Cork and Derry model of airbrushing the recent history from the records and acting like it has been one single club for a long continuous period.

Louth4sam
13/10/2014, 9:28 AM
I presume they will now follow the Cork and Derry model of airbrushing the recent history from the records and acting like it has been one single club for a long continuous period.

There should be rules in place to stop just this. Make it 15 years before a club can be registered under the same name. It's not right that clubs can walk away from huge debts and then 2/3 years later be completely debt free and "buy" back history of "former" club.

nigel-harps1954
13/10/2014, 9:32 AM
There should be rules in place to stop just this. Make it 15 years before a club can be registered under the same name. It's not right that clubs can walk away from huge debts and then 2/3 years later be completely debt free and "buy" back history of "former" club.

Really jumping the gun there. Nobody said this was happening.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
13/10/2014, 9:37 AM

It probably will though

Guitd
13/10/2014, 10:48 AM
From what I heard the supporters group bought the name" Galway United FC " from the previous owners Galway Soccer Ltd who went into administration a few years ago ,
therefore the have the rights to the name but its not related to the old company whose directors have no connection to the present club Galway FC

Longfordian
13/10/2014, 11:08 AM

I dunno their statement about building on the rich heritage and history etc of Galway United FC suggests it's what they intend. Maybe they're planning on paying off some of the debt as well but I wouldn't imagine they will if they don't have to.

GCdfc
13/10/2014, 12:15 PM
Now I await the DVD to get them promoted.

White Horse
13/10/2014, 12:18 PM
Now I await the DVD to get them promoted.

Things have moved on. The new Galway United should produce a blu ray.

GCdfc
13/10/2014, 12:22 PM
Things have moved on. The new Galway United should produce a blu ray.

Can the FAI afford a blu ray player with Delaneys' salary?

seand
13/10/2014, 12:32 PM
Didn't the 2006 DVD include a message of support from some local TD called Michael D Higgins? Whatever became of him?

Dodge
13/10/2014, 1:36 PM
Last year the league media guide had these founding dates;

Cork 1984
Derry 1928
Limerick 1937
Galway 2013

We'll see if that changes next season

seand
13/10/2014, 1:46 PM
I'm kinda of the opinion that it's up to the club's own support whether they consider themselves to be the same club. Cork City FC were unquestionably terminated in the courts but the Foras Coop, I feel, deserve to retain that link. Likewise Galway United.

JC_GUFC
14/10/2014, 6:34 AM
If they really wanted to show their unity they'd take an initial from all four entities involved, Salthill, County league, United and Mervue, hence becoming Galway SCUM.

Not a bad effort. The truth is the name has taken the 'Galway' from 'SD Galway' and the 'United' from 'Mervue United'.

Longfordian
14/10/2014, 7:05 AM
Not a bad effort. The truth is the name has taken the 'Galway' from 'SD Galway' and the 'United' from 'Mervue United'.

Do many of the old GUFC fans identify with the new entity then or is there still a feeling that it's not their club?

Terry
14/10/2014, 10:51 AM
Most do support the club, but there is still a few who will not return until certain members of the board of directors step down, as they never ended their links with the clubs they run, therefore never can/will give GUFC their full attention. Even now being on the board of directors they continue to block GUFC entering reserve and underage teams into any level leagues.