PDA

View Full Version : a first

gael353
11/10/2014, 2:29 AM
Limericks victory over a 2nd string derry in the brandywell tonight. Was the first limerick team to win in what is now northern ireland in over 122 years. The last team to do it was the black watch regiment which called themselves black watch limerick in 1892. Glad i was there to see it

pineapple stu
11/10/2014, 8:37 AM
Didn't ye win the League Cup in Derry?

listowelceltic
11/10/2014, 9:15 AM
Didn't ye win the League Cup in Derry?

Not sure but i think limerick won on pens in limerick..around 2001 season maybe

donnrua
11/10/2014, 10:18 AM
Not sure but i think limerick won on pens in limerick..around 2001 season maybe
Limerick won on penalties in the Brandywell. Two-legged affair that year!

Candystripe
11/10/2014, 12:26 PM
It was a two legged final.

Limerick won 2-1 at home and Derry won 1-0 in the Brandywell. It was a strange one as away goals were meant to count but it wasn't until the 90 mins were up the ref had a discussion with an FAI rep and extra time was played and then Limerick won on penalties.

A N Mouse
11/10/2014, 12:31 PM
Limericks victory over a 2nd string derry in the brandywell tonight. Was the first limerick team to win in what is now northern ireland in over 122 years. The last team to do it was the black watch regiment which called themselves black watch limerick in 1892. Glad i was there to see it

I don't doubt the veracity of what you're saying.

But the way in which you're saying it leaves a lot to be desired.

You didn't even tell us who black watch limerick defeated?

Looking into it its not really that impressive; given in the near thirty seasons derry have played in the league of ireland, they've only been in the same division as limerick for about eight of them; the two have never met in the fai cup; only league cup and relegation play-off.

Before Derry entered the league of ireland there was limited opportunity for limerick teams to play teams, from what's now nrn irn, competitivley. Though I believe Derry played Limerick twice (each won at home)

And the thirty years between your last win and partition, there was no limerick team in the ifa's league, so again limited oportunity.

But I suppose it sounds better than saying it's the first time limerick have beaten derry in the league

donnrua
11/10/2014, 3:16 PM
[QUOTE=gael353;1783397]Limericks victory over a 2nd string derry in the brandywell tonight.
Probably the strongest 2nd string I've seen in a long time, added to that Patterson, McBride and Ventre came on as subs. No matter how you try to take away from it it is still a great result, and an unexpected one given our record against Derry. Plus we had a few out ourselves - Hughes, Nzuzi, Williams were missing, Abass in goal was making only his second appearance, Paudie O'Connor and Mick Leahy have barely featured all season, and our subs bench was mainly kids - so I'd say well done Limerick!

gael353
11/10/2014, 6:36 PM

Looking into it its not really that impressive; given in the near thirty seasons derry have played in the league of ireland, they've only been in the same division as limerick for about eight of them; the two have never met in the fai cup; only league cup and relegation play-off.

Before Derry entered the league of ireland there was limited opportunity for limerick teams to play teams, from what's now nrn irn, competitivley. Though I believe Derry played Limerick twice (each won at home)

And the thirty years between your last win and partition, there was no limerick team in the ifa's league, so again limited oportunity.

But I suppose it sounds better than saying it's the first time limerick have beaten derry in the league

They beat st columbs of derry in the semi final of the irish cup in 1892. Someone who.knows far more then me gary spain posted this on his fb last night "nineteenth game in the Brandywell. 13 in PD, 1 FD, 1 playoff, 2 League Cup finals,1 Texaco Cup and 1 friendly. We also lost twice to Derry in Solitude in the 1940s in the Inter City Cup although winning on aggregate in 48."

Sheridan
11/10/2014, 7:35 PM

Jesus Christ, you're narky.

gael353
11/10/2014, 9:19 PM
[QUOTE=gael353;1783397]Limericks victory over a 2nd string derry in the brandywell tonight.
Probably the strongest 2nd string I've seen in a long time, added to that Patterson, McBride and Ventre came on as subs. No matter how you try to take away from it it is still a great result, and an unexpected one given our record against Derry. Plus we had a few out ourselves - Hughes, Nzuzi, Williams were missing, Abass in goal was making only his second appearance, Paudie O'Connor and Mick Leahy have barely featured all season, and our subs bench was mainly kids - so I'd say well done Limerick!

O'connor has been a reg since he came in. They had seven changes from their cup win over rovers a week before. Maybe not 2nd string but weakend. Mick leahy is no right back and abass goofed badly for the derry team that never really threatened. End of season football.

avvenalaf
12/10/2014, 12:05 AM

And I'm glad you're still here to celebrate you one hundred and twenty second birthday. BTW did Al Finucane play?

A N Mouse
12/10/2014, 11:23 AM
Jesus Christ, you're narky.

I'd never been to Wexford before this summer.

Perhaps I should tell people that I was the first one in my family in three generations to visit there?

osarusan
12/10/2014, 11:29 AM
I'd never been to Wexford before this summer.

Perhaps I should tell people that I was the first one in my family in three generations to visit there?

Hyperbole from football fans while celebrating unexpectedly good result shocker!

Let us have our moment ffs, what difference does it make?

bluewhitearmy
12/10/2014, 12:10 PM

Is it really worth taking so seriously?

A N Mouse
12/10/2014, 1:05 PM
Is it really worth taking so seriously?

Only for the tortured phrasing of 'what's now northern Ireland' it wouldn't merit a second glance.

Second win for Limerick team in Derry in 122 years, fine. No need to point out scarcity of attempts.

First win in 'what's now northern Ireland' in 122 years begs all sorts of questions, for no other reason than the seemingly random specificity, and yet at the same time haziness, of it.

seand
13/10/2014, 8:24 AM
'First ever win in Northern Ireland' would probably make more sense. I think the Black Watch reference is really just an interesting aside.
Limerick's first ever win over Derry City in 20-30 attempts is more surprising, and worth celebrating, specially after a fairly mediocre season.
I'd suggest it's Limerick first away win in Europe too but I wouldn't like to be the cause of any more spluttering indignation in the occupied territories ;)