PDA

View Full Version : CCFC's official view on Marney Affair

Citymark
08/01/2002, 9:27 AM
Taken from a2zsoccer.com

"I disagree with it," said Cork City secretary Noel O'Mahony. "As secretary of a club, my first priority is that all players are registered. It's a basic rule and you expect all clubs to go by the rulebook.

"It's a rule which comes in at every level of the game from schoolboy upwards and it's disappointing to see it happen in our main league in the country. City have been deducted in the past for an illegible player and it stood and that's what it should have done in
this case."

For once I have to agree with the board, most amazing decision made for years!

pete
08/01/2002, 1:21 PM
I'm surprised the board have actually expressed an opinion publically. They haven't been exactely forthright in their views in the past.......

I wouldn't say the case is exactely the same as Marney played u-21 for Pats last year but rules is rules.

shedboy
08/01/2002, 1:25 PM
No way should they have got the nine points back. It was there mistake to play him in the first game unregistered and thus shouldn't have got those three points back as for the other six I think it was the leagues fault for not spotting that , so i feel they should get them. Thats what happened to us when we played an illegal player against U.C.D. , we lost the three points cause it was our fault for not having him registered , although that time the registeration was actually in the post, it just didn't get to the F.A.I. on time. Probably cause it was only handed into the G.P.O. after midnight on a Sturday night!!!!!

Ruairi
08/01/2002, 1:40 PM
I agree that the league was at fault for the the two games they didin't spot, but then again Pats should have checked that he was legible in the first place

pete
08/01/2002, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
I agree that the league was at fault for the the two games they didin't spot, but then again Pats should have checked that he was legible in the first place

I don't see how this could be the case.

As far as i'm aware its not the leagues job to spot unregistered players. The only way this could be done is if they were to check the team sheet for every game of the season. Thats i guess over 700 teams sheer\ts per season for 3 people in the leagues office. I presume the registered post requirement was introduced (and agreed by all clubs) so they wouldn't have to do this tedious admin work.

Its also totally impractical for the FAI to keep records of every piece of post that enters its door.

James
08/01/2002, 2:44 PM
pete come on in all fairness only what 11 or 12 games a week between div 1 and prem div..and the games are spread out over 4 days thakns to dundalk etc playing on thurdsdays so the work load aint that much..

anyway a simple database of registered players could v easily be set up and all u need do is run a simple lookup query or something

hardly rocket science

James
08/01/2002, 2:45 PM
unless of course u were being sarcastic (shock horror..but then again there were no smilies) in which case...
whoooosh over my head
;)

Peadar
08/01/2002, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by James
anyway a simple database of registered players could v easily be set up and all u need do is run a simple lookup query or something

It wouldn't be too much for the ref to have a printout of the registered players at both clubs before a game. When he's given the teams sheet all he need do is put a little tick next to the players names on the printout. Then he could say, "Wait a minute, who's this Paul Marney bloke?".

Even the FAI could manage to organise that!

dahamsta
08/01/2002, 3:27 PM
then again Pats should have checked that he was legible in the first place

Heh, is that a Freudian slip?

adam

Éanna
08/01/2002, 4:33 PM
league was at fault for not spottingit. deduct 3 points.

yan
08/01/2002, 11:07 PM
both were at fault

pats and the league,

the should know if he is registered aswell,
musnt he sign something or other????????

maybe they could hav replyed the 3 games,

it makes the upcoming game between shels and pats all the more interesting

a.n.other
09/01/2002, 2:56 AM
how the league can recind their original decision is beyond comprehension, basically according to the irish times version of events the league stated that regitration problems are a common occurence thus deeming it unfair to single out one offending party , what type of codswallop is that?, how hard is it to ajudicate on the matter , rules are rules pats broke one and thus the should pay the price, which should be clearly and concisely stated in the rulebook, no-one can say that pats are only liable for one match of the three due to the leagues ignorance of the violation, they have a duty as a member of the league to be aware of and abide by the rules of the organisation , as for the leagues organising committee and supposed explanation for reinstating the points: well it doesn't inspire confidence now does it......

Jim Smith
09/01/2002, 8:34 AM
The FAI send a list of all registered players at the start of the season to EACH club. Then the opposition can check the registration before a match.

Not ideal but it should stop unregistered players playing. If the FAI and the clubs get their acts together, of course.

Éanna
09/01/2002, 9:48 AM
Originally posted by a.n.other
how the league can recind their original decision is beyond comprehension,
they didn't recind it. they endorsed it. the original decision was to dock no points and give them the fine.

ccfcman
12/01/2002, 9:56 PM
we*(the league) r being scammed outta 9 points
and we better get dem back