PDA

View Full Version : Arguments about Arafat

ccfcman
11/11/2004, 9:10 AM
I'm still pis*ed off people think he's Signior Peace, granted he made strides towards peace, but only after pleanty of planew hijackings and bombing campaigns organised by the PLO from Lebanon in the 70s.

ccfcman
11/11/2004, 9:41 AM
Or will it be taken away from both, I mean he didnt work in a flippin MacDonalds for that money!

tiktok
11/11/2004, 2:17 PM
It's funny that in recent times Israel and the US have sought to marginalise him, and imply that he's not relevant to the peace effort. His illness and Death has clearly created a vacuum that it's hard to imagine any single other Palestinian figure filling. Makes a mockery of his being labelled irrelevant.

Having said that I hope the Palestinians now get a better leader than he was.

ccfcman
11/11/2004, 5:47 PM
Yasser Arafat = LEGEND

Rather a sweeping statement there, I suppose the Israelis see a life long nuisance gone now,I acan see it already, roll in the howitzers.

Éanna
11/11/2004, 5:51 PM
I'm still pis*ed off people think he's Signior Peace, granted he made strides towards peace, but only after pleanty of planew hijackings and bombing campaigns organised by the PLO from Lebanon in the 70s.
the ANC used to commit acts of terrorism (sabotage) against the south african regime, and nobody called Nelson Mandela a terrorist :rolleyes: :mad:

ccfcman
11/11/2004, 5:58 PM
Eanna you support his blowing the sh1te outta innocent civilians then :confused:

Éanna
11/11/2004, 6:46 PM
when did he blow the shíte out of anyone? have you any proof that he was directly involved in the killing of civilians? For what its worth, I will say again (as I've said on countless other threads) that I don't support the murder of anyone, least of all civilians. BUT, he was a leader and his country is at war- should he have stood by and done nothing? He had to take the fight to Israel and he was fully justified in doing so

ccfcman
11/11/2004, 6:51 PM
Leader of the PLO when based in Beirut, Lebanon in the late 60s early 70s, a string on hijackings of airliners and bombings.

liam88
11/11/2004, 8:38 PM
If he was involved in the Black Spetember massacre of ATHLETES then I'd find it very hard to sympathise with him...........he covered up a lot of his actions.......am not going to say RIP because that may show support for him...not somthing I want to do right at this time

Éanna
11/11/2004, 9:38 PM
Leader of the PLO when based in Beirut, Lebanon in the late 60s early 70s, a string on hijackings of airliners and bombings.
I didn't ask what the PLO did when he was in charge, i asked what HE did. The PLO was fighting a war, nasty things happen in war.

If he was involved in the Black Spetember massacre of ATHLETES then I'd find it very hard to sympathise with him...........he covered up a lot of his actions.......am not going to say RIP because that may show support for him...not somthing I want to do right at this timewhy bother posting so :rolleyes:

Éanna
11/11/2004, 9:41 PM
I split the thread, because if people want to argue about it, the other thread wasn't the place to do it IMO

ccfcman
12/11/2004, 8:13 AM
I didn't ask what the PLO did when he was in charge.

Hitler never shot anyone himself but I'm sure you'll agree with me that he was rather a nasty piece of work indeed.

Éanna
13/11/2004, 1:14 PM
Hitler never shot anyone himself but I'm sure you'll agree with me that he was rather a nasty piece of work indeed.
if you're trying to compare hitler to arafat, you obviously don't have a clue, so I really don't see the point debating it with you

Closed Account 2
15/11/2004, 3:28 AM
Lazio fans unfurled a banner in honour of him during their match on Sunday with Bologna...

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/ROM120111417_lower.jpg

Much as I dont like terrorists, I have to take my hat off to Arafat for moving towards peaceful means in the end. Its a shame Rabin was shot as it looked like those two might have been able to sort something out.

Éanna
15/11/2004, 11:33 AM
Lazio fans unfurled a banner in honour of him during their match on Sunday with Bologna...
was it definitely a tribute? suprising that those racist filth had a good word to say bout an arab

ccfcman
15/11/2004, 11:41 AM
if you're trying to compare hitler to arafat, you obviously don't have a clue, so I really don't see the point debating it with you

I'm not comparing I'm drawing a parralel, you say Arafat did nothing physically, at least there is no documentation of this, same is said about Hitler.

eoinh
15/11/2004, 11:46 AM

He actually did shoot other people! He fought in the German army in WW1 and he killed his pet dog.

ccfcman
15/11/2004, 11:51 AM
He actually did shoot other people! He fought in the German army in WW1 and he killed his pet dog.
He was a messenger in WW1 and was "honourably" after getting shot in the hole :cool:

people = dog :confused:

Closed Account 2
15/11/2004, 2:33 PM
was it definitely a tribute? suprising that those racist filth had a good word to say bout an arab

Yeah it says, La Nord Onora Il Condottiero Arafat = The North (ie stand where Lazio Ultras sit) hounors the leader Arafat.

Dricky
15/11/2004, 3:09 PM
History is always written by the victors, the enemy is always a lot worse than the devil if you were to believe the victors.

Is internment fair or just, how can that be defeated how would you defend yourself in the face of overwhelming odds.

How is Isreals/Americas cause just?

Éanna
15/11/2004, 5:22 PM
I'm not comparing I'm drawing a parralel, you say Arafat did nothing physically, at least there is no documentation of this, same is said about Hitler.
parallel/comparison/whatever- you're inferring that there is some similarity and that is totally over the top IMO. I never said he DIDN'T do anything, I just asked you what HE did do. I certainly don't know of him "blowing the shíte outta innocent civilians"

Partizan
15/11/2004, 5:22 PM
Amazing really,

Arafat is just in his grave and certain individuals begin cutting the back off him. Look, the guy wasnt perfect, which leader was.. but I say this, he did lead his people through 40 turbulent years. Without him the Palestinians would not have had the clout and worldwide global sympathy. Arafat catapulted the plight of Palestinian people onto the world stage and highlighted the injustice of a racist policy (Zionism) on a defencless and unarmed people. unlike the other Arab leaders and Islamic nuts like Assama who used the Palestinian cause to justify their own warped agendas.

And if anyone goes harping on about the Oslo Agreement and the Camp David accord about giving the Palestinian the land of milk and honey, reality is..the Jews would still be allowed their settlements in the West Bank and Gaza, control of the water supply a substantial possesion of the Occupied Territories. The Camp David aggrement ran counter to UN Resolution 257 and the Geneva Convention. it basically legitimated Israeli agression. Edward Said's account of the negotiations are a useful insight into American policy on the Middle east and their bias in favour of Israel. US was supposed to be a middle man in the talks.

In short the Palestinians since the collapse of the USSR have nobody to give them substantial global clout. They will be left on their own at the mercy of US global capitalist interests and an apartheid fascist Zionist state that rides roughshod over international laws and conventions. And then they wonder why young men blow themselves up....

Éanna
15/11/2004, 5:26 PM
brilliantly said partizan. nice to agree with you for once ;)