PDA

View Full Version : Longford Town

Mr A
04/10/2014, 8:44 AM
Congrats on winning the first division. I have a feeling you'll do grand in the top flight.

CityRebel
04/10/2014, 9:18 AM
Congrats.

Longfordian
04/10/2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks folks. Celebrations were good. I'd be hopeful we can hold our own anyway knowing those in charge. We'll need to strengthen though without doubt but that's something to think about in the off season!

Acornvilla
04/10/2014, 11:30 AM
I wasn't old enough to properly celebrate our last promotions or the cup wins, so last night was just wonderful.

mcgonigle
04/10/2014, 1:44 PM
Thanks folks. Celebrations were good. I'd be hopeful we can hold our own anyway knowing those in charge. We'll need to strengthen though without doubt but that's something to think about in the off season!

Congrats to Longford, will be great to head back down there. Interesting times ahead, do you think Cousins will be kept on? I know there is much debate over his abilities, he has finally stumbled over the line just like John Gill did with us and we know what happened there.

Acornvilla
04/10/2014, 1:49 PM
I can't see him being let go. Tony can say we won the league with a game to spare. We have a 6 point lead, with the best attacking and defensive record in the league.
Even thou there's plenty of reservations, we have the track record of giving him the benefit of the doubt and now that we made it, I have no doubt he'll get a new contract and be backed financially to bring in a few more bodies.

Longfordian
04/10/2014, 2:02 PM
Yeah I don't think there's any doubt he'll be kept on and to be honest he deserves his shot at the Premier Division now. We've all questioned him at various stages especially last season but he's done his job well this year. The players all seem to really like him and he has a very good relationship with the chairman and committee.

Charlie Darwin
04/10/2014, 2:16 PM
Congratulations to Longford, and particularly happy for Rovers legends Tony, Ricer and the Pats.

Darklordsbane
04/10/2014, 3:00 PM
Fair play to Tony and the lads they did it in the end, I think a certain mr Graham Lawlor was a hugh help, coached the 1st division winners 2 seasons in a row can't be a coincidense

Sam_Heggy
04/10/2014, 9:24 PM
Congrats Longford well deserved winners.

but this still doesn't mean I like ye......

Martinho II
04/10/2014, 10:20 PM
Congrats Longford well deserved winners.

but this still doesn't mean I like ye......
you may change yer mind as section o crew are goin to serenade ye with songs thankin ye for beatin shels!

Acornvilla
04/10/2014, 11:49 PM
I've never been to Finn Park, so heading up as well, may as well pay a visit before I never get a chance to again!

Ezeikial
05/10/2014, 8:59 AM
Congrats to Longford. An especial word of recognition for those among the Longford ranks who showed patience and faith in TC. You both know who you are.

bennocelt
05/10/2014, 11:19 AM
TBF Longford should have got promotion yonks ago, yis had the players in a pish poor league, but heh good to see Longford back at the top.

gufct
05/10/2014, 7:59 PM
Congrats to all at Longford with a special mention to Tony who I always found to be a football man through and through and my great Buddy Donal Keogh who has been a constant from the very start. Hopefully we get up in the playoffs we owe ye a few beatings :p

GypsyBlackCat
06/10/2014, 10:36 AM
Well done Longford. Had a good few away days there. I'll be making sure I return to the Town next season!!

outspoken
06/10/2014, 8:29 PM
What an amazing weekend, celebrations only ended today until harps away anyway. I was one of Tony's most outspoken critics but no one could say he doesn't deserve his chance in the premier now as he is the leagues longest serving manager in both divisions. I think if we start to get cut adrift next season the pressure on him will be huge as the money and exposure to the clubs and its investors is so important but I think we've a squad well capable of staying up comfortably with a few additions.

Darklordsbane
07/10/2014, 8:22 AM
At least half a dozen needed, when you really think about it we need to get rid of at least 4, plus a couple I believe will hang up thier boots

Longfordian
07/10/2014, 9:13 AM
I think Bennion is retiring not sure about anyone else. But yeah I would think we'd need four or five in at least. We'll need a bigger squad anyway with more games next year.

Town Legend
07/10/2014, 12:29 PM
I wonder will Tom Morris be hanging around or will he be looking for a move back to England. We need a couple of wingers, keeper, centre back and a striker.

Acornvilla
07/10/2014, 1:28 PM
I wonder will Tom Morris be hanging around or will he be looking for a move back to England. We need a couple of wingers, keeper, centre back and a striker.
His dad told me that, Tom would love to stay, if we want to keep him. He's apparently pretty happy living in Longford, must have lived in Gaza before moving here so!

He's a big lad for 19, looks like he has the makings of a top class player, by LOI standards at least.

seand
07/10/2014, 2:42 PM
Congrats to Longford, good to see them back, and only an hour-ish down the road for me. Could we be in for our first Premier Division El Classicos next season? We could be looking at 4-figure crowds!

Good old Chris Bennion... is he still punting goal kicks straight out for throws? Decent keeper and foundly remembered in Dundalk.

nigel-harps1954
07/10/2014, 2:42 PM

Far as I can see, Town only need around 3 or 4 big players to at least stay up. Centre half is a must and a goalkeeper is a must. A couple of midfielders wouldn't go amiss, but there'll be plenty of goals from O'Sullivan that should help matters.

I don't see ye being too far away from a safe mid-table finish, but while Tony Cousins remains in charge, anything is possible. That's the first change I'd make.

De Town
07/10/2014, 3:24 PM
Obviously no guarantees of keeping a settled squad in this league but just assuming they all want to stay/Tony wants to keep them. Think we're ok for midfielders if we keep Rice, Salmon, O'Connor and Gorman. Maybe add another with Prem experience if there's a decent one available but I think we'd be ok with the 4 above. Both wings need major improvement as well as the full-back positions (assuming Mulhall doesn't stay around). Centre half or 2, new goalkeeper and another decent striker or 2 and we'll be grand.

Charlie Darwin
07/10/2014, 3:47 PM
Longford will have next season what Athlone didn't when they came up - a core of really experienced Premier Division players (assuming they don't all leave).

De Town
07/10/2014, 4:03 PM
We're much more prepared for PD football both on and off the pitch than what Athlone were last year. Obviously doesn't guarantee anything but I would hope we'd be ok next season survival wise.

Martinho II
07/10/2014, 10:32 PM
Longford will have next season what Athlone didn't when they came up - a core of really experienced Premier Division players (assuming they don't all leave).

what we also offer is a passionate fan base which Athlone were lacking this season sadly. btw Chris Bennion told me himself that he is retirin at the end of the season he wasnt supposed to stay at the start of the season his wife didnt want him to stay. btw is Chris Deans a coach with us now?

Neish
07/10/2014, 10:33 PM
Well done lads, see you in Finn Park on Sunday

BonnieShels
12/10/2014, 10:48 PM

Essentially Longford will have what Athlone didn't have once they have it.

oriel
12/10/2014, 11:26 PM
We're much more prepared for PD football both on and off the pitch than what Athlone were last year. Obviously doesn't guarantee anything but I would hope we'd be ok next season survival wise.

I think FD sides can seriously under estimate the gap between going up and what it takes to consolidate in the PD.

something that sticks out straight away is the pace of the game between both divisions. Trust me on this, I saw 7 straight seasons and most of the football on offer was pedestrian pace v the PD.

In saying that I think Longford will be a decent addition, but even with a good few experienced players, they will know this is a huge step up. It is every year.

outspoken
13/10/2014, 4:45 PM
I think FD sides can seriously under estimate the gap between going up and what it takes to consolidate in the PD.

something that sticks out straight away is the pace of the game between both divisions. Trust me on this, I saw 7 straight seasons and most of the football on offer was pedestrian pace v the PD.

In saying that I think Longford will be a decent addition, but even with a good few experienced players, they will know this is a huge step up. It is every year.

As someone who attends quite a lot of other teams matches in the premier the pace and tempo difference between the leagues is the very first thing you notice. Every town fan will tell you we need 2 new pacey wingers with an end product to their game and with rice, salmon, Rhys and KOC all excellent ball players we would be very confidence that the midfileld is up to scratch, we lack a bit of pace at the back but in terms of experience Sullivan and Flynn will be tight up there while we have some great defenders in Tyrell and Morris with Mulhall offering real threat going forward. Up to Sully has pace to burn and Shaw offers us a different approach if required so I really do think this team is capable of surviving with a bit to spare.

ger121
13/10/2014, 11:54 PM
Belated congrats to Longford on their well deserved promotion. Will be nice to pop up to Flanc.... whatever it's called these days park next season.

Martinho II
14/10/2014, 4:30 PM
Belated congrats to Longford on their well deserved promotion. Will be nice to pop up to Flanc.... whatever it's called these days park next season.

City Calling Stadium or the CCS!