PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol- the cause of and solution to all life's problems

Dillo
11/11/2004, 8:12 PM
'A party-time necessity' sums it up perfectly for me but I'd like to ask all foot.ie users what their outlook is on this vicious substance called ALCOHOL??

Peadar
12/11/2004, 8:33 AM
I'd like to ask all foot.ie users what their outlook is on this vicious substance called ALCOHOL??

Everything in moderation.

ccfcman
12/11/2004, 8:39 AM
I hate the morning after conversations where people blow on about what they did "Ya biy, I was locked like!" et al, wrecks my head, nothing to be proud of IMO. That said mine'll be a Heineken please :)

Dillo
12/11/2004, 8:59 AM
I hate the morning after conversations where people blow on about what they did "Ya biy, I was locked like!" et al, wrecks my head, nothing to be proud of IMO. That said mine'll be a Heineken please :)

I'd have to agree with you there. It is nothing to be proud of. I hate waking up the next morning and realising all the stupid things you did which at the time made perfect sense!! Drink is a curse IMO. It may make you happy for a few hours but it this is cancelled out by hangovers and regrets. Stay away from it is my advice ;)

drinkfeckarse
12/11/2004, 9:08 AM
Drink is great as long as you can handle it. I love a pint and seem to be lucky in that I don't get hangovers.

I always have a laugh when I'm out but if it made me aggressive or made me feel down the day after, then I think I would have to think carefully about drinking.

Luckily it doesn't make me aggressive or feel like sh!te the next day so I'll carry on until it does ;)

max power
12/11/2004, 9:16 AM
the name of this thread should be credited to homer simpson.....

the 12 th man
12/11/2004, 9:16 AM
Drink is great as long as you can handle it. I love a pint and seem to be lucky in that I don't get hangovers.

I always have a laugh when I'm out but if it made me aggressive or made me feel down the day after, then I think I would have to think carefully about drinking.

Luckily it doesn't make me aggressive or feel like sh!te the next day so I'll carry on until it does ;)

lucky man,what sort of volume can you down and what do you drink ?

carrickharp
12/11/2004, 9:43 AM
Trying not to sound old but as the year’s drag on you get fed up with the Friday/Monday morning hangover, especially the Monday hangover (Sunday is a dangerous day with soccer on Sky especially if they are showing two good matches then Spanish football etc) the horrors on Monday night :eek: :eek:

Darts league on Wedensday is fecking up Thursdays on me this past 3 years.

I enjoy the pints of the black stuff on a Friday evening after a hard week’s work, reward and no work in the morning :D !!

drinkfeckarse
12/11/2004, 9:59 AM
lucky man,what sort of volume can you down and what do you drink ?

Normally just drink pints (stella,miller etc), I can't seem to find Heineken on draught over here in Scotland :mad: . I like a vodka and coke too but only if I'm sick of the pints. Normally I suppose I'd have about 12 pints on a session.

Don't get me wrong, I normally feel fairly wiped out the day after a ****-up which I suppose some would call a hangover but luckily I've never had the banging head or felt ill. A lot of people don't believe this though for some reason :confused:

I'm 28 now, almost 29 and I've always had people saying" if you don't get hangovers now, then you'll get them when you're older" but it's still never happened.

ccfcman
12/11/2004, 10:10 AM
Luckily I dont get hangovers either, and also I get all giddy and start laughing rather than agressive

Dillo
12/11/2004, 10:14 AM
I must say Dillo can get on the agressive side after a few from time to time! :p Not a good thing at all. JoeSemi is always up for a scrap! :D

Dillo
12/11/2004, 10:20 AM
Those fat frogs are a robbery!

tetsujin1979
12/11/2004, 10:32 AM
I recently started drinking again after 3 months on lucozade's and 7ups (part of a weight loss/fitness thing). I have to say the whole "drinking to get drunk" thing has lost it's appeal to me, but I enjoy one or two pints of guinness, just to relax. Stopping after that is the heard part ;)

ccfcman
12/11/2004, 10:33 AM
I've never tried stout yet! Heineken is the staple, but on the advice of my Dad In was told "try" Kilkenny [A stout/larger variant :eek: ], supposed to be lovely but rare.

Jim Smith
12/11/2004, 10:39 AM
So if your moderate bahaviour occurs in moderation then 'the beast' has to come out every so often. Outrageous behaviour is therefore an integral part of moderation - I like your way of thinking :D

the 12 th man
12/11/2004, 10:41 AM
Don't drink that much, but drink often. 5/6 pints 5 nights a week, maybe one of those nights (Fri/Sat) up to 8/9.

i think that that would be a lot for most people including myself.
probably an age thing but you still get people who seem to be able to drink what they like with no/little after effects.

patsh
12/11/2004, 10:49 AM
Don't drink that much, but drink often. 5/6 pints 5 nights a week, maybe one of those nights (Fri/Sat) up to 8/9....Conor, doesn't this technically make you an alcoholic?.....:eek:
Isn't the threshold supposed to be 2 units of alcohol per day, or something like that?

noby
12/11/2004, 10:56 AM
Kilkenny [A stout/larger variant :eek: ]

Actually a Cream Ale. And not bad either.
The only stout/lager combo I've heard of is a black & tan (an american thing, where you get half guinness, half harp :confused: ) Thankfully never tried it. The name alone is a bit off-putting

Macy
12/11/2004, 11:05 AM
Isn't anything over 5 pints a "binge" according to the experts?

Only seem to drink a couple of times a week since I moved out of town. Tend to have a major binge every 6-8 weeks though, normally at a match (lots of pints, plus a quick nip or a bottle of bucky). Wouldn't even think of cracking open a tin whilst watching the tele tbh.

Staples are Bulmers during the summer, Guinness during the winter, although this autumn I'm having trouble switching back to Guinness. Just to prove I am a catholic, I'd drink anything if it was cheap/strong enough. (except Carlsberg, the scouse rubbish).

Gary
12/11/2004, 11:30 AM
I cant drink on week nights anymore. if i do, Im wrecked for 2 days afterwards. So I try to keep it to Friday and Saturdays only, with the occasional few during the week ie if there is a City match or meeting a buddy for whatever reason. If for no other reason, I couldnt afford to go pinting more often.

When i do go midweek I try to drink Becks. No hangover. I also avoid Tiger. Manky MANKY hangover.

Besides, i find that by no drinking during the week itll give you something to look forward to at the weekend.

TheJamaicanP.M.
12/11/2004, 11:45 AM
Alcohol can be a disaster. For example, the night of the FAI Cup Final, I ended up staying the night with someone in Rathmines. The person I woke up beside the next morning was not what I'd expected.
Then again, I know lads who've been happy to bring shopping trolleys and wheely bins home with them after nights out so I shouldnt complain too much.
I think there is a thin line between getting happy drunk and getting ossified drunk. Im still learning how to judge that line.

Peadar
12/11/2004, 11:51 AM
So if your moderate bahaviour occurs in moderation then 'the beast' has to come out every so often. Outrageous behaviour is therefore an integral part of moderation - I like your way of thinking :D

What have I told you about drinking during the day, Jim???
:D

I'm sure your post will make sense if I read it after a few pints. ;)

Macy
12/11/2004, 11:57 AM
I think there is a thin line between getting happy drunk and getting ossified drunk. Im still learning how to judge that line.
After winning a Cup Final, there is no line.... :D

wws
12/11/2004, 12:08 PM
I seem to be alone of my generation in that I am 100% Bulmers intolerant - the very whiff off that sickly apple urine makes me want to chuck

was a regular guinness drinker than stopped a while ago but last friday decided to have a few as I was in Mulligans and it just seemed right - and hey presto - you cant beat the magic full taste of a good pint of Guinness - unfortunately its so rare in dublin these days that i just have to settle for a plain old fashioned beer - the quality of which on draught in this country is actually shockingly bad compared to just about anywhere in Europe

Macy
12/11/2004, 12:12 PM
I seem to be alone of my generation in that I am 100% Bulmers intolerant - the very whiff off that sickly apple **** makes me want to chuck
I used to be the same (memories of being 14, flagons and puking), until on one weekender in Galway it was the only thing I could stomach! It's a great "cure" pint...

Peadar
12/11/2004, 12:14 PM
the very whiff off that sickly apple **** makes me want to chuck

You told me that anything from "de country" makes you want to chuck!
Given the close proximity of Inchicore to St. James' Gate I suppose we'll let you off with Guinness.

i just have to settle for a plain old fashioned beer - the quality of which on draught in this country is actually shockingly bad compared to just about anywhere in Europe

Try living over here, boy!

wws
12/11/2004, 12:17 PM
england isnt in europe peadar - and well you know- they even have their own currency! :)

Peadar
12/11/2004, 12:27 PM
they even have their own currency! :)

That's not their fault!
Apparently the scary lady on the money will come back from the dead and haunt them in the change to the €uro :D
Even if they did change, I can't see the quality of the draught beer improving.

JoeSemi
12/11/2004, 1:36 PM

Have to agree Peadar. Don't know what defines moderation with me yet tho :) The pros outweigh the cons most of the time after a few scoops. Problem with me is I'm a reasonably reasonable lad without drink, but the odd tipple can shove me towards being a confrontational figure as opposed to argumentative. If I could find the common ground I'd be laughin!

JoeSemi
12/11/2004, 1:38 PM
I must say Dillo can get on the agressive side after a few from time to time! :p Not a good thing at all. JoeSemi is always up for a scrap! :D

Dillo is just destructive! JoeSemi is just misinterpreted ;)

Dotsy
12/11/2004, 3:38 PM
Don't drink that much, but drink often. 5/6 pints 5 nights a week, maybe one of those nights (Fri/Sat) up to 8/9.

Can't drink most stuff like shots (except vodka), Guinness, beer, wine etc. etc. Pretty much Bulmers all the way, though I recently discovered the fat frog craze...

Fair play. If I drank that much every night I'd never make it to work. Used to be able to lower the pints no problem (and the pernod and blacks-showing my age their I think). FInd now that I can only handle it Friday and Saturday. Bottles of weissbeer if at home , guinness when the wife lets me out. Can't touch cider of any description since the first time I got drunk on a six pack of Stag when I was 14 and spent a day and a half bringing it back up.

Ruairi
12/11/2004, 4:09 PM
A nice pint of well pulled Beamish does the job. Although because i'm mostly in busy/horrible places the only thing i drink is Bulmers. Which tears my stomach apart the next day and has made me do some VERY stupid things over the pastfew weeks.

last sat night i wenta bit mental though, ended up drinking vodkas and red bull (yuck) along with a couple of fat frogs, although i didn't pay for those, thank christ! the next morning wasn't pretty though.

i've a bottle of absinthe on top of the fridge at home, it's 70odd percent proof, I only smelled it and i swear i killed some brain cells. i'm never ever going to drink the stuff. you could probably put it in your car and it'd run

Closed Account 2
13/11/2004, 10:11 AM
Actually a Cream Ale. And not bad either.
The only stout/lager combo I've heard of is a black & tan (an american thing, where you get half guinness, half harp :confused: ) Thankfully never tried it. The name alone is a bit off-putting

Ive had it a few times, half guinness and half lager... It is only really an American thing. If you want to try it my advice would be to use cider. A "Super-tramp" (half cider, half special-brew and a twist of blackcurrant) is ok too, its bascially a revved-up "Snakebite".

Poor Student
13/11/2004, 12:09 PM

Can't drink most stuff like shots (except vodka), Guinness, beer, wine etc. etc. Pretty much Bulmers all the way, though I recently discovered the fat frog craze...

Are you messing Conor? 5 pints is a binge! I don't drink myself. Unlike smoking there's no direct harm it can cause to those around you (I mean distance wise, not family), so I guess people can do as they please without harming others although I think the whole nation is serverely damaging its health with its drinking habits. One thing I do hate is the bus on Monday morning 'Ahhhhh it was deaaaaaaadly, oi drank 10 pints, don't even have a clue what happened, it was kewl', 'He was puking all night after that bottle of voldka, jaysus it was mad' and all that ********. Makes me think there's something seriously wrong with this country as I hear that every bus ride without fail.

wes4pres
13/11/2004, 12:16 PM
whiskey is the way of the future. conveniently small in a hip flask to bring to bray matches. the only way i can stay awake at them lately!

d_informer
13/11/2004, 12:37 PM
geesh man you know how 2 kill a conversation. i was smiling til i read that post, now im just not sure what direction my life is going in!! :(

Colm
14/11/2004, 7:45 PM
I normally drink Carlsberg but the cheap pints of Fosters that most pubs are selling at the moment are the job and mean you can have an extra 3 or 4 pints for no extra than you'd normally pay.

When on a night out or a match + a night out I'd usually start off with a good few pints followed by bottles of WKD, Fat Frogs and maybe a few vodkas. This pattern generally occurs about twice a week.

Dillo
22/11/2004, 6:55 PM
Think I'll edit the title of this thread to Alcohol- The solution to all life's problems! :)

GavinZac
23/11/2004, 12:22 PM
im a geek. when you said alcohol, i thought of alcohol 120% :(

Dillo
24/11/2004, 9:15 PM
How do you know I'm not talking about 120%?? ;)

GavinZac
25/11/2004, 11:50 AM
How do you know I'm not talking about 120%?? ;)

http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

:o

Dillo
25/11/2004, 5:44 PM

:confused:

$Leon$
25/11/2004, 5:56 PM
:confused:

i'm the same dillo.
just gettin a blank screen.
presume thats what ur gettin?
maybe thats what were ment to see a blank???
is that what alcohol does makes us go blank???

Dillo
15/12/2004, 5:20 PM

What's this Alcohol Software all about? :confused:

JoeSemi
19/12/2004, 11:27 AM
I'd have to agree with you there. It is nothing to be proud of. I hate waking up the next morning and realising all the stupid things you did which at the time made perfect sense!! Drink is a curse IMO. It may make you happy for a few hours but it this is cancelled out by hangovers and regrets. Stay away from it is my advice ;)

I think we've come to a definitive point in our lives Dillo where drink will have to be shoved to one side. A certain figure on this great site resembled a shook, MacGowan type figure after 3 nights in a row last week, and had to have serious sense talked into him. Just aswell for everybody or there could have been serious consequences. The lad is grateful now too ;)

On another note I'd like to praise the P.M on overcoming injury and studying committments to give a polished performance last Wed. His guidance and insight have given the team a new dimension that was lacking when the side hit a trough in the last few months.

Our only other worry lies with our great Portugese starlet who has also hit a bad patch and has gone awol, like Cadete did at Celtic. Nobody can put a finger on his problem. Perhaps, its because its too much to solve. IMO he has to shape up or be shipped out. His transfer value is diminishing by the day and its going to be hard to recoup anything on him!

Beavis
19/12/2004, 3:37 PM
...(memories of being 14, flagons and puking),...
Ha Ha you hit the nail there.I'm now programmed to reject the stuff,no matter how drunk or how little alcohol remains.One binge a week,no limits,does enough for me.
Agree with Colm,the €3 Fosters pints save you great money,and it taste better than Heino,Carlsaberg and watery Budweiser.Do like Corrs Light but find it rarely.