PDA

View Full Version : One Step Away

hollocaine
02/10/2014, 9:40 AM
I presume the same XI as last week to start on Friday. Hopefully it'll be a comfortable and controlled performance just like the last two games against Rovers B, although a part of me would like a bit of drama with us eventually coming out as winners.

Sully has a bit of work to do with Furlong now very much in the mix for the division's top scorer. Both on 19 league goals now, I think. No goals in 7 games is quite the famine, but in front of a (hopefully) big crowd now is the time for him to show the wider Longford public what we've all enjoyed watching over the last two seasons.

Without wanting to tempt fate too much, does anyone know for definite if there will be the presentation after the match if we do win?

nigel-harps1954
02/10/2014, 9:45 AM
Trophy will be there, as nobody will want to have to bring it all the way to Finn Park.

Plus, nobody in Finn Park wants you to lift the trophy there..

Longfordian
02/10/2014, 10:54 AM
It'd make sense to do it tomorrow but I did see one or two people suggesting it'd be in Ballybofey. If it is in Ballybofey you'll get a much bigger away crowd than otherwise nigel so I'm sure ye could put up with it.

Bosco
02/10/2014, 11:23 AM
Not sure about wanting a bit of drama, we've had enough of that over the years. Go ahead early and make it as comfortable as possible please. Rovers B did beat us the first time we played them this season. I haven't seen anyone mention that this week yet.

Longfordian
02/10/2014, 12:04 PM
I'm sure they'll do their best to make it awkward. But we really should be too strong for them if the attitudes are right and I can't imagine they won't be at this stage.

RonnieB
02/10/2014, 12:24 PM
Oh lord me nerves..

Darklordsbane
02/10/2014, 12:46 PM
Bosco is right
they beat us first time this season, then we hammered them, then we had a very uncomfortable hour against them in Tallaght but managed to win 3 nil,
Lets hope we score early and take control of the match as I would hate it to be 1 nil at 88 mins and Shams get a biased refs peno, apart from all that Galway have to beat Shels to still be in the hunt for the playoffs and well they might Wexford are hot on thier heels,
I cannot find out anything about the ref for Friday night except he is from Dublin, I searched and all I got was he assisted 9 time surely that can't be right the FAI putting a rookie ref for 1 of the most important games of the season.
if the conspiracy theorists are right and the FAI don't want another country team in the premiership, we could be in for a very nervous night (remember the Wexford game).
the info I found on that ref was 5 premier games and 30 yellow cards bound to be someone sent off in that match
I really believe it's time for calmness, cool heads, discipline, belief in our ability to cope with pressure and play football, and keep or big mouths shut towards the officals, lets give them no excuse for red cards or penos
COME ON DE TOWN

Acornvilla
02/10/2014, 12:55 PM
Just to remind you all that I've not seen us win a home game in over a year, I'm on the train to Longford as I type!

Might be a good time for this hateful streak to end.

Longfordian
02/10/2014, 1:05 PM
As regards the game in Tallaght it wasn't really a nervous 60 mins as they didn't come out of their own half at all. It was a bit frustrating and there was always a small element of doubt that they'd scab a draw.

Bosco
02/10/2014, 1:12 PM
Yeah in fairness I wouldn't have called anything about the second game in Tallaght uncomfortable and as regards the first game, we were just awful that day and Rovers took the 2 chances they had.

Serious buzz about the Town, it's great to see! Hopefully there is a massive crowd out!

De Town
02/10/2014, 1:20 PM
Bosco is right
they beat us first time this season, then we hammered them, then we had a very uncomfortable hour against them in Tallaght but managed to win 3 nil,
Lets hope we score early and take control of the match as I would hate it to be 1 nil at 88 mins and Shams get a biased refs peno, apart from all that Galway have to beat Shels to still be in the hunt for the playoffs and well they might Wexford are hot on thier heels,
I cannot find out anything about the ref for Friday night except he is from Dublin, I searched and all I got was he assisted 9 time surely that can't be right the FAI putting a rookie ref for 1 of the most important games of the season.
if the conspiracy theorists are right and the FAI don't want another country team in the premiership, we could be in for a very nervous night (remember the Wexford game).
the info I found on that ref was 5 premier games and 30 yellow cards bound to be someone sent off in that match
I really believe it's time for calmness, cool heads, discipline, belief in our ability to cope with pressure and play football, and keep or big mouths shut towards the officals, lets give them no excuse for red cards or penos
COME ON DE TOWN

Hahahaha you're great DLB.

Longfordian
02/10/2014, 2:13 PM
Yeah in fairness I wouldn't have called anything about the second game in Tallaght uncomfortable and as regards the first game, we were just awful that day and Rovers took the 2 chances they had.

Serious buzz about the Town, it's great to see! Hopefully there is a massive crowd out!

Forecast for tomorrow isn't great but hopefully the rain eases off before the game.

outspoken
02/10/2014, 5:00 PM
We've waited 7 years for this night and nothing will stop us now that's all I have to say on the matter.

Martinho II
02/10/2014, 5:04 PM
if we do like we did in Cobh all these yrs ago i would be happy! in that game we were two nil up at Half time! btw Shannonside are doin live commentary of game... talk is that Kirbs and Prunts will be on it if they can do it! also Stewie Byrne is bein interviewed on Tony Ghees show Mon nite!

Longfordian
02/10/2014, 5:08 PM
There seems to be some buzz around the town for this one from all the photos I'm seeing and the talk I'm hearing. Reminiscent of the build up to the cup finals back in the day. Could be some night. Work tomorrow will not be productive!

Pauro 76
02/10/2014, 5:49 PM
Sorry I can't make it on the day lads, been unlucky with scheduling coming home for Town matches this season. But with Shannonside in the background, I'll be roaring on De Town. I hope we do it, I know we can.

Acornvilla
03/10/2014, 11:15 AM
Ah lads, what am I supposed to do all day? Hurry up match!!

Darklordsbane
03/10/2014, 1:27 PM
steady rain all day so far in the south east, whats it like in Longford, hope the groundsmen have the pitch sorted so it can teke a good soaking don't need this one called off

Acornvilla
03/10/2014, 1:51 PM
steady rain all day so far in the south east, whats it like in Longford, hope the groundsmen have the pitch sorted so it can teke a good soaking don't need this one called off
Rained last night and this morning where I am, haven't seen any rain in hours thou, ground will be absolutely fine, but surface shall be slick.

Longfordian
03/10/2014, 1:59 PM
Making my way to Longford from the smoke shortly. Lashing down here and not much sign of it stopping but my trusty iphone weather app assures me it's grand in Longford and will stay that way for the match.

outspoken
03/10/2014, 2:12 PM
I've been at work in town since 10 and Id say it only stopped lashing for about half an hour till now, bombing it down all day. I'm very worried.

Longfordian
03/10/2014, 3:45 PM
Pitch doesn't look too bad judging from Section O's Facebook picture. Or the part of it you can see anyway! The lads are hard at work putting the flags up etc.