PDA

View Full Version : Long lines.

tricky_colour
02/10/2014, 12:29 AM
I know I am going to get hammered for posting this here but could you keep the length of lines you use on the forum to a reasonable length, ie much shorter than this one, I made this a long one to illustrate why they are hard to read. It gets worse when there are several long lines.

bennocelt
02/10/2014, 4:08 AM
I thought this was going to be about Shane Long.:o

tricky_colour
02/10/2014, 5:49 AM
I thought this was going to be about Shane Long.

I realised some might think that after I made the post.

Hence I would like to apologise to all those disappointed when the clicked the thread :)

Could have been worse, I might have said "Why Long is rubbish" :)

DannyInvincible
02/10/2014, 5:23 PM
I thought this was going to be about Shane Long.

So naive, Bennocelt, so naive... Tricky's far too impromptu to be worrying about relevant crap like Shane Long! :p

I'm not sure I really understand fully though, Tricky.

Would you
prefer it if
everyone
posted in
short lines
like this? :confused:

I think your issue must be with your own device's settings or something. I can read the forum just fine and I don't need to cut sentences in half/separate them into concise lines or whatever it is you mean, whether I'm on my laptop or my phone. Or on any other computer, for that matter. It might be your screen resolution or browser/zoom settings that are hampering your view?

By the way, there is a 'Support' section on the forum for this type of thing, you divil: http://foot.ie/forums/63-Support ;)

tricky_colour
02/10/2014, 8:01 PM
So naive, Bennocelt, so naive... Tricky's far too impromptu to be worrying about relevant crap like Shane Long!

I'm not sure I really understand fully though, Tricky.

Would you
prefer it if
everyone
posted in
short lines
like this?

I think your issue must be with your own device's settings or something. I can read the forum just fine and I don't need to cut sentences in half/separate them into concise lines or whatever it is you mean, whether I'm on my laptop or my phone. Or on any other computer, for that matter. It might be your screen resolution or browser/zoom settings that are hampering your view?

By the way, there is a 'Support' section on the forum for this type of thing, you divil: http://foot.ie/forums/63-Support ;)

I know there is a support forum but I doubt
many here read it. Your short lines are a little
to short, but still better than long lines I think.
this kind of length is fine, it is the length
newspapers tend to use, and indeed the Bible!!
That's is because it is easier to read. Problem is
it leaves acres of space to the right here.

Also I sometimes post whilst watching TV and it means I have to mover my eyeballs
a long way :D It is not a big deal but sometimes is is not easy to scan back to the end of the correct
next line, thing was I had been reading a post elsewhere full of txt speak and with endless
line with no formatting, very hard to read.

I am not having a go at anyone in particular, a lot of people use long lines, I just like
to hit the carriage return occasionally, I think these are my normal forum length lines or thereabouts.

It is just I have the TV in front of me and the monitor to the side and long lines mean turning an extra 45 degrees,
a major first world problem.

tetsujin1979
02/10/2014, 8:25 PM
then buy a tablet, or a laptop, or use your mobile.

tricky_colour
02/10/2014, 9:28 PM
I could do with a tablet I think although I have never used one so I'd have to
educate myself about them first, the portability aspect should be useful, trouble is I would
spend for every deciding which model to get.

NeverFeltBetter
02/10/2014, 10:14 PM
I'd prefer to know....why some people on this forum....post like this....it reads like a telegram.

tricky_colour
02/10/2014, 10:29 PM
I'd prefer to know....why some people on this forum....post like this....it reads like a telegram.

It is actually..... quite easy to read....as each point is separated......meaning your eye finds it easily.

Helps to have a blank line every 2-3 lines too.

I think the answer is.................... the dots indicate.............wait for it............suspense!!

Crosby87
02/10/2014, 10:36 PM
I thought this was going to be about my college days circa 4AM.

DannyInvincible
02/10/2014, 10:42 PM
I thought this was going to be about my days.

Corrected that for you. :p

tetsujin1979
03/10/2014, 8:12 AM
moved to off topic
tricky's malaise needs some help
methinks others - yes?

NeverFeltBetter
03/10/2014, 9:48 AM
It is actually..... quite easy to read....as each point is separated......meaning your eye finds it easily.

Helps to have a blank line every 2-3 lines too.

I think the answer is.................... the dots indicate.............wait for it............suspense!!

It's the reading equivalent of driving in traffic. Stop, start, stop, start, stop, start.

dahamsta
03/10/2014, 1:24 PM
moved to off topic
tricky's malaise needs some help
methinks others - yes?

Is that a haiku? <suspicious> I won't have any haikus around here!

tetsujin1979
03/10/2014, 2:57 PM
Is that a haiku? <suspicious> I won't have any haikus around here!
yes, it's a hiaku
I felt it was apt, m'lord
given his issue

(last time I promise)

Charlie Darwin
03/10/2014, 3:18 PM
My favourite haiku is:

There once was a man
From Bath who got limericks
And haikus confused