PDA

View Full Version : Diving Georgie

SeanDrog
11/11/2004, 7:44 AM
I think he protests too much me lord ........

O’Callaghan hits back in red card row

November 10, 2004

Cork City midfielder George O’Callaghan insists he did not overreact in order to get Drogheda United’s Declan O’Brien sent off during the fractious Premier Division clash between the sides earlier this week.

O’Brien had just put the Drogs into a 2-1 lead against the Leesiders’ 10 men when he was dismissed by referee Dave McKeon for an incident with O’Callaghan, which saw the former Port Vale star hit the deck.

The dismissal gave Cork the impetus to stage a turnaround, the home side coming from behind to take the win needed to cut the deficit on leaders Shelbourne to just three points with two games remaining.

But O’Callaghan insists the match-turning red card was fully deserved – and reacted angrily to suggestions that he had dived in a successful attempt to elicit the red card from McKeon’s pocket.

O’Callaghan told the Irish Daily Star: “[O’Brien] stormed into me and I felt a bit of a jerk in my neck so it’s his own fault. It was definitely a sending-off, and I think if he looks at it himself he’ll agree. Their players tried to say I was diving but I wasn’t diving at all. I think the cameras will show it was a sending off.”

Drogman.
11/11/2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah, Fabio was stupid from looking at it on the video,but there is no way it was a sending off. Another crap ref trying to be the big man for the home crowd.

RedHat
11/11/2004, 10:32 AM
Ah Jaysus lads - he deserved to go - imagine if it was Spud Murphy on Myler !!!!
My cripe is homer's cousin couldn't have seen the incident - as pointed out in previous mails and when I watched frame by frame there is now way he say it - unless he has big mutated frog eyes !!!!! - ok so he could have seen it then

btw - U2 record is a grower - 3rd listening and a couple of good tracks but bono's rhyming lyrics are painful in places

patsh
11/11/2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah, Fabio was stupid from looking at it on the video,but there is no way it was a sending off. Another crap ref trying to be the big man for the home crowd.Come off it.....:rolleyes:
You use your elbow on another player and you show the ref exactly what you did with your elbow.....
What choice is there except a red card?

We could have a thread about "Diving O'Brien" too..............

The ref had already showed us he was "a big man", by sending off a defender for a booking offence at the very most.

Éanna
11/11/2004, 6:34 PM
I think it was a bit harsh, but o'brien only has himself to blame for being so utterly stupid in the first place. Also, the way he celebrated his goal (taunting home fans) should have got him a yellow card, so he would have been off anyway.

Cosmo
12/11/2004, 8:18 AM
As soon as there any contact to the face no matter how soft a player can have no complaints about going off.

In saying that O' Callaghan made a major meal of it (and theres doubts on if the ref saw it)