PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar (H) - Sat, 11th Oct. / Germany (A) - Tues, 14th Oct.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DeLorean
09/09/2014, 11:40 AM
I think I would be inclined to field two very different teams for these games. Like the Oman friendly, I think it's too big a risk to play Wilson and O'Shea against Gibraltar. We should use the game, now that we know for sure that they must be pretty terrible, to keep some key players fresh, injury free and out of harms way in terms of picking up pointless yellow/red cards. It would also be a good opportunity to create a happy squad where everybody feels that they have a role to play and will be given opportunities. Obviously this isn't the priority, more of an added bonus.

We should go to Germany with a positive mindset. Losing 2-0 is not a good result*. Way too much defeatism in recent times from people who I wouldn't really expect. We've seen what Scotland did and it's only a few years since went to Bari and got a draw against the then world champions. No reason it couldn't happen again with the right mindset and, possibly, a lot of luck.

For Gibraltar: (Obviously won't happen!)

------------------- Westwood ----------------

O'Brien ----- Pearce ------ Keogh ------ Ward

---------- Hendrick -------- Gibson -----------

----- Hoolahan ----- McGeady ---- Reid -------

------------------- Keane --------------------

For Germany: (work rate being paramount!)

----------------- Westwood ------------------

Coleman ----- O'Shea ----- Wilson ---- Delaney

------------- Meyler ------ McCarthy ----------

---- Doyle ------- McGeady ------ McClean ----

-------------------- Long ---------------------

Obviously Whelan isn't just going to fall away from their plans all of a sudden and Delaney the opposite... just a personal preference.

*Yes, that was a cheap shot at you Noel King.

ArdeeBhoy
09/09/2014, 11:44 AM
Actually, we should cap every fringe player/'wannabe' we can in the first game...

The second is a complete write-off, so the same is almost true!

DeLorean
09/09/2014, 11:48 AM
It's only a write-off if it's treated as one. Sweden were down 4-0 and still didn't see it as a write-off! It would be a bonus if we get something obviously, but we might as well go all out.

ArdeeBhoy
09/09/2014, 11:49 AM
Except we can't and we won't!

KK77
09/09/2014, 11:51 AM
Actually, we should cap every fringe player/'wannabe' we can in the first game...

The second is a complete write-off, so the same is almost true!

Will have to improve in a big way to take anything from the German game but who knows anything can happen.

DeLorean
09/09/2014, 11:52 AM
Except we can't and we won't!

Probably, but I'd be content if the former isn't a result of the latter.

ArdeeBhoy
09/09/2014, 11:55 AM
Maybe in 5 years time...

Anyway,
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/7-things-like-to-see-now-ireland-germany-encounter-1662957-Sep2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

DeLorean
09/09/2014, 12:08 PM
There'll be sun, sun, sun? :o

SwanVsDalton
09/09/2014, 1:00 PM
I wouldn't go nuts with the personnel changes for the Gibraltar game. Tactics and approach sure, but I'd like to fit in as many players for the Germany game as possible (Keane excepted, as I expect to play against Gibralter but not against Germany).

If we can rattle a bunch of goals at home against poor opponents, it could help lift our fairly brittle morale for a go at the world champs. Every little helps.

DeLorean
09/09/2014, 1:10 PM
Yeah but I don't think my team diminishes our chances of scoring a bunch of goals, in fact it probably enhances it, Coleman aside. It's the defence that I have significantly weakened but surely that won't matter too much. Germany have a tough trip to Poland beforehand so it's an opportunity to gain something in terms of freshness. Every little helps indeed :)

Stuttgart88
09/09/2014, 1:44 PM
Germany is 3 days after Gib, yeah? I can see the merit in resting Coleman and I think Meyler showed against Oman that he can fill that gap. I've lost patience with O'Brien. I'd like to see Delaney or Pearse given a run at CB and Wilson at left back.

Other than that I'd be quite keen to pick the best front 6, except McGeady. I'd pick Long over Keane because we all know he'll add a physicality that Keane lacks The rationale being that any one of them is immediately replaceable. McCarthy and Whelan are interchangeable. Meyler, Hendrick and Gibson can walk into a midfield role if an incumbent gets crocked. Hoolahan and Reid are somewhat interchangeable. Quinn, Pilkington and McClean can allfill the left berth. If Long gets crocked pick Doyle in Germany (I might be tempted to pick both).

The only players I think we can't afford to miss in the Germany game are Coleman, O'Shea and McGeady. Everyone else has a very similar replacement.

SwanVsDalton
09/09/2014, 1:48 PM
I'd agree with that - change around the defence by all means, but I'd play an attacking unit against Gibraltar that largely play against Germany, but with different philosophies.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2014, 10:42 AM
I don't think we need to be totally conservative against Germany. Part of me would think be brave and worst case is that it's a good preparation for Glasgow.

Changes that I'd make from Georgia to Germany, disregarding Gibraltar:

Wilson to left back.
Delaney or Pearse to CB.
Do not play McCarthy far up the pitch.
Use wide players in wide positions. That'll be two of McClean, Pilkington, McGeady or Quinn.
Play one "ball user" in advanced midfield. Essentially Hoolahan unless Reid does something notable in Dublin on 11th.
A fighter up front. Long or Doyle.
Only pick match fit players.

That might only be 3 or 4 personnel changes from Georgia.

DannyInvincible
10/09/2014, 7:55 PM
The nature of our next two fixtures is surely unprecedented and trivially historic, if you will. Has any team in international football ever played two consecutive competitive games against teams at such polar extremes of the ability spectrum? After lowly Gibraltar, who have no official ranking because they aren't even recognised by FIFA, we take on Germany, the present world champions.

Kingdom
11/09/2014, 2:09 PM
v Germany

Westwood
Coleman OShea Delaney O'Brien
Whelan
McCarthy Gibson
Hoolohan McGeady
Long

That team above is intentionally narrow, because I'd think that we've actually a group of players that can play constructive football through the middle, but when retreating it can spread out as it goes back, in effect trying to keep the germans moving the ball in front of us. The overlap is what will kill us, not because of the floated balls in to Mueller, but because of the drag-backs and general intricate technique these chaps have in the final third. Also, we know they're going to play Mueller as the pseudo-striker, who roams, so our two centre-backs are going to be either dragged all over the place, or they're going to be extremely on edge waiting. The worst thing that could happen is if we retreat further and further back when play goes dead. It's an Irish thing, but inviting Germany on will be a disaster. The back 4, in tandem with Whelan and McCarthy are going to have to play as a back 6 almost, as the two centre-backs will likely spend a good portion of time teaming up with the corresponding full back to deal with whatever triumverate is attacking, be it Basti-Goetze-Mueller (BGM), or Kroos-Schurrle-Durm (KSD), so I would think O'Neill will need to have his mind made up on his team as soon as possible in order to work on whatever pods of three or four that are going to have to put in a huge defensive effort.

Example. I would pick one player to stick with Meuller, and I'd go for Delaney. So if BGM is coming into possesion into the Germany attacking 3/4, McCarthy, Whelan, Delaney, and Hoolohan (to cover the Rudy outlet) need to be funnelled back, or positioned in order to intercept or force Germany to switch play. Likewise if KSD are the attacking unit, then it's Gibson, McGeady, Coleman and O'Shea that need to be on the toes. The tricky part is going to Reus, and it could be that Wilson gets the nod at full back, because Reus will have the licence to roam inside almost to the striking position which will leave a huge gap on the left hand side of the irish defence, if of course the full-back tracks.

Germany likely to pick if fit, the following. Offensively they are excellent. on the ball they are excellent. But if they're weak, it's at the back. The common logic will be to flood midfield, so that possession becomes harder to use constructively. That's why I'd pluck for Gibson over Stephen Quinn at this juncture, because Gibson has a dirty strong streak in him, and that will be needed, but also is good on the ball, and can pick a pass as well as take a shot.
Neuer,
RUdy, Boateng, Howedes, Durm
Basti, Kroos
Reus Goetze Schurrle
Mueller

Germany really are a beautiful team to watch play football, and that's assuming that Ozil, or Kheidera aren't fit. With the right formation, and personnel, and if they try to play a bit of football, a point is not beyond us. Unfortunately taking last Sunday into account, and the past 2/3 years, a point probably is beyond us.

geysir
11/09/2014, 4:13 PM
snip
The tricky part is going to Reus, and it could be that Wilson gets the nod at full back, because Reus will have the licence to roam inside almost to the striking position which will leave a huge gap on the left hand side of the irish defence, if of course the full-back tracks.
Reus is not likely to play is he? copped a sore one against scotland, that should swing the pendulum all the way back to us.

I thought he was faking it but I suppose it could be a real psychosomatic ailment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A41vdbXSGLI

Gather round
15/09/2014, 5:18 PM
After lowly Gibraltar, who have no official ranking because they aren't even recognised by FIFA, we take on Germany, the present world champions

Surely Gibraltar have an official UEFA ranking after their game with Poland?

DannyInvincible
15/09/2014, 7:44 PM
The next official set of UEFA national team rankings are to be published in November of 2015, although World-Results.net does have an unofficial provisional/on-going ranking which puts Gibraltar at 52nd out of 54 as of 10/09/2014: http://www.world-results.net/uefa/ranking_2015.html

Fixer82
15/09/2014, 8:29 PM
Would it be worthwhile going for 4-4-2 V Gibraltar? McCarthy sitting defesnsive midfield, Hoolahan/Reid in an advanced midfield position and Long/Doyle and Keane up front

Or am i just talking absolute boll0¢ks??

Stuttgart88
15/09/2014, 8:57 PM
Yes, you are :)

Jovial Rambler
15/09/2014, 10:09 PM
I would be intrigued to see a 4-2-2-2 against Germany. Whelan and McCarthy holding. Possibly Quinn and McGeady again, but just playing narrower (Quinn on Schwiensteiger?). Doyle and Long upfront.

Fixer82
16/09/2014, 9:52 PM
Yes, you are :)

ah boll0¢ks

paul_oshea
23/09/2014, 8:54 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0923/645668-sammon-named-in-37-man-ireland-squad/

Conor Sammon has been named in the 37-man provisional squad for the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2016 qualifiers with Gibraltar and Germany.

Paul Green in. Joey Obrien out. I suspect thats the end of his international career.

Republic of Ireland squad: David Forde, Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot, Richard Keogh, Marc Wilson, Seamus Coleman, John O'Shea, Alex Pearce, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Damien Delaney, Shane Duffy, James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark, Stephen Ward, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Andy Reid, Paul Green, Aidan McGeady, Anthony Pilkington, James McClean, Robbie Brady, Stephen Quinn, David Meyler, Wes Hoolahan, Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Jon Walters, Kevin Doyle, Anthony Stokes, Simon Cox, Conor Sammon.

jbyrne
23/09/2014, 9:02 AM
Joey Obrien out. I suspect thats the end of his international career.

dont think he played last sat v liverpool and saw it reported he is out injured

Stuttgart88
23/09/2014, 9:03 AM
Is O'Neill obliged to name an enlarged squad or is it just to manage relationships with club managers? It seems a bit pointless naming such a long list.

I agree wrt O'Brien. No loss. He clearly can't be depended on to be available so no point pinning any hopes on him. Meyler might be the beneficiary.

Cillian Sheridan might be disappointed. McGoldrick must be struggling with his passport forms, though he is still on the way back from injury I suppose.

Isn't Stokes due in court on those dates?

There'll be hoots and howls regarding Green but resist lads, please.

I expect there'll be some derision over some younger lads not being in the squad but their time will come. I can't comment on whether, for example, Mason or Murray are better than some named (like for like) but I'm not fussed really. That's not a dig at TOWK by the way, who I know rates Mason. It's more to pre-empt the usual cries of not calling up Zak Gilsenan because he's a talented 13 year old.

SwanVsDalton
23/09/2014, 10:04 AM
These squad announcements are really going to lose their lustre if O'Neill is going to pick the majority of players he can pick.

liamoo11
23/09/2014, 10:21 AM
Is O'Neill obliged to name an enlarged squad or is it just to manage relationships with club managers? It seems a bit pointless naming such a long list.

I agree wrt O'Brien. No loss. He clearly can't be depended on to be available so no point pinning any hopes on him. Meyler might be the beneficiary.

Cillian Sheridan might be disappointed. McGoldrick must be struggling with his passport forms, though he is still on the way back from injury I suppose.

Isn't Stokes due in court on those dates?

There'll be hoots and howls regarding Green but resist lads, please.

I expect there'll be some derision over some younger lads not being in the squad but their time will come. I can't comment on whether, for example, Mason or Murray are better than some named (like for like) but I'm not fussed really. That's not a dig at TOWK by the way, who I know rates Mason. It's more to pre-empt the usual cries of not calling up Zak Gilsenan because he's a talented 13 year old.

do we know if that gilsenan lad and the other lad at real are still at barca and real?

Stuttgart88
23/09/2014, 10:28 AM
I haven't heard otherwise. Was it Real or Atletico?

liamoo11
23/09/2014, 10:40 AM
I haven't heard otherwise. Was it Real or Atletico?

oh the real deal. c scotland under 19s have a lad who is playing for real

Fixer82
23/09/2014, 11:09 AM
Honestly, Sheridan played against Barcelona last week in the Champions League.
He must be a better option than Sammon

Fixer82
23/09/2014, 11:11 AM
Great to see Andy Reid back

Supreme feet
23/09/2014, 11:32 AM
Honestly, Sheridan played against Barcelona last week in the Champions League.
He must be a better option than Sammon

Fair play to Sheridan for expanding his horizons and all that, but the fact that he played in the Nou Camp is indicative of nothing but luck of the draw.

Remember Alan Mahon played in the Bernabeu for Sporting Lisbon. David Connolly started up front for Feyenoord away to Juventus. Phil Babb, Darren O'Dea and Andy O'Brien have more Champions League experience than Richard Dunne. Liam Miller has scored as many Champions League goals as Robbie Keane.

I've seen Sheridan play enough times; he adds very little bar effort and size. He scored six goals in twenty-odd appearances in the Cypriot League last season. I'd imagine the likes of Cox, Walters, Murphy and Best would rattle in goals at that level.

I personally think Sammon is an awful footballer, and I'd have Mason or Best ahead of him, without doubt. However, I don't agree with the logic that 'Sheridan plays for a team in the Champions League groups, therefore he must be international standard'. A few games in the CL can't obscure the fact that Sheridan is playing in a poor league, and not exactly standing out.

Charlie Darwin
23/09/2014, 12:15 PM
Sheridan is the first-choice striker in the top team in Cyprus. It's not a great league but their European performances show they are pretty good. I don't reckon I'd have him in the squad either, but you're writing him off a bit prematurely, I think.

As for Mason, we don't even know if he still wants to play for Ireland. He was very suddenly not in the underage managers' plans and hasn't featured for three or four years now. We can't assume he is a current option.

liamoo11
23/09/2014, 12:29 PM
Sheridan is the first-choice striker in the top team in Cyprus. It's not a great league but their European performances show they are pretty good. I don't reckon I'd have him in the squad either, but you're writing him off a bit prematurely, I think.

As for Mason, we don't even know if he still wants to play for Ireland. He was very suddenly not in the underage managers' plans and hasn't featured for three or four years now. We can't assume he is a current option.

In fairness Charles I dont think Paul Doolin was at fault with mason !

OwlsFan
23/09/2014, 12:32 PM
Cillian Sheridan 2012–2013 Kilmarnock 26 (9)
Conor Sammon 2008–2011 Kilmarnock 65 (17)

Not much between them to be honest but I wouldn't waste too much time debating players who would be at best 4th choice striker.

Stuttgart88
23/09/2014, 12:35 PM
I'm equivocal over Sheridan. He certainly deserves consideration, especially over Sammon, but just because he played in the Nou Camp means nothing. Stokes impressed at San Siro last year.

If Daryl Murphy took a pay cut (I presume he'd have to?) and played for Apoel would he do better than Sheridan? I wouldn't be surprised.

There's really very little to argue with in this squad. As usual any controversy is at the margins and not really of any significance.

GypsyBlackCat
23/09/2014, 1:27 PM
Killian Brennan and Keith Fahy played in European this year too!!!

All joking aside, if Stokes is getting a chance then Sheridan, Mooney and Doyle should be giving a look at. League One is more or less on the same level as the SPL and the Cyproit league.

geysir
23/09/2014, 2:08 PM
Killian Brennan and Keith Fahy played in European this year too!!!

All joking aside, if Stokes is getting a chance then Sheridan, Mooney and Doyle should be giving a look at. League One is more or less on the same level as the SPL and the Cyproit league.
The pertinent issue with Stokes is not the standard of the league he plays in, it's the low standard of his play this season and his last season was so so. Anyway, Stokes most probably won't get a chance and get called up. I suppose one reason why all the extras are included in this preliminary squad, is to tell them that they do exist somewhere on the radar, seeing one's name in black and white confirms that more than a verbal.

Charlie Darwin
23/09/2014, 2:14 PM
Why is Stokes in the squad anyway? His trial is that week so he won't be able to take part.

TheOneWhoKnocks
23/09/2014, 5:08 PM
Why is Stokes in the squad anyway? His trial is that week so he won't be able to take part.

Why is Stephen Kelly in the squad when he hasn't started a league game for one reason or other since the turn of the year? Why is Andy Reid getting called up when he is only playing league games with injections? Why are Simon Cox, Paul Green and Conor Sammon in the squad when they are not good enough?

There is not much to argue about with the squad selections but there is still grounds for concern. As big as the squad is there isn't a player in it who didn't feature under Trapattoni. We aren't brimming with full backs so why isn't Matt Doherty of Wolves getting in the squad? Why isn't Eunan O'Kane getting in the squad?

It's pretty unimaginative. They should try and bring a couple of players through on form. Poland have loads of players on minus ten caps getting call ups for competitive duty. We seem to be straitjacketing ourselves by only calling up players who already have over 5 caps - regardless of their suitability.

Left-back is a serious problem. Stephen Ward isn't getting first team football. Joey O'Brien is not available. They have to try and do something about it. For sheer lack of depth there, Tommie Hoban or Ian Bermingham should be called up to get assessed in person. WTF happens if Ward and Wilson are unavailable at the same time? It's not like we can ask O'Shea to fill in there anymore.

Olé Olé
23/09/2014, 5:21 PM
Why is Stephen Kelly in the squad when he hasn't started a league game for one reason or other since the turn of the year? Why is Andy Reid getting called up when he is only playing league games with injections? Why are Simon Cox, Paul Green and Conor Sammon in the squad when they are not good enough?

There is not much to argue about with the squad selections but there is still grounds for concern. As big as the squad is there isn't a player in it who didn't feature under Trapattoni. We aren't brimming with full backs so why isn't Matt Doherty of Wolves getting in the squad? Why isn't Eunan O'Kane getting in the squad?

It's pretty unimaginative. They should try and bring a couple of players through on form. Poland have loads of players on minus ten caps getting call ups for competitive duty. We seem to be straitjacketing ourselves by only calling up players who already have over 5 caps - regardless of their suitability.

Left-back is a serious problem. Stephen Ward isn't getting first team football. Joey O'Brien is not available. They have to try and do something about it. For sheer lack of depth there, Tommie Hoban or Ian Bermingham should be called up to get assessed in person. WTF happens if Ward and Wilson are unavailable at the same time? It's not like we can ask O'Shea to fill in there anymore.

I'll concur with the point about bringing in players to assess them in person. When you pick a bullked squad of 37 players before trimming the fat and leaving the requisite lean mass, I'm not quite sure why the fat has to be the same players. Why call up Paul Green before cutting him? Why not bring in Eunan O'Kane for an assessment and cut him if he warrants it but at least add some value to the project of picking an initially inflated squad. I think this point becomes even more pronounced when you take into account that Gibraltar are one of the two fixtures.

It's a farly unimaginative squad but, in context, none of the names being bandied about as potential call-ups bear resemblance to that of Seamus Coleman and Marc Wilson when they were PL regulars and Trap was afraid to pick them.

geysir
23/09/2014, 6:23 PM
From the RTE.ie article (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/0923/645668-sammon-named-in-37-man-ireland-squad/)
The squad will be reduced ahead of a planned meeting on 7 October.

the doc
23/09/2014, 7:35 PM

Breaking News Ireland Manager ONeill has now added An Irish Wolf Hound, 2 Leprechans, Mollly Malone and 4 pints of Guinness to his squad!

samhaydenjr
23/09/2014, 8:00 PM
Breaking News Ireland Manager ONeill has now added An Irish Wolf Hound, 2 Leprechans, Mollly Malone and 4 pints of Guinness to his squad!

But still no place for Sean St Ledger:p

ArdeeBhoy
23/09/2014, 11:54 PM

Stokes has been terrible this season by all accounts, but even Celtic and Apoel Nicosia should prove to be far a higher standard than Div.3 in Eng.FFS.
His club form doesn't suggest he should even be in the Ireland squad, give Sheridan & Best a go, ahead of him & Sammon.

Otherwise as per my posts 'passim' from elsewhere, MO'N should have picked uncapped players with dual nationality, and got them 'tied' down.

These two games are almost pointless, given the results should be a foregone conclusion.
So, er, it should be Scotland we're looking rather more at.

Fixer82
24/09/2014, 12:03 AM
Stokes has been terrible this season by all accounts, but even Celtic and Apoel Nicosia should prove to be far a higher standard than Div.3 in Eng.FFS.
His club form doesn't suggest he should even be in the Ireland squad, give Sheridan & Best a go, ahead of him & Sammon.

Otherwise as per my posts 'passim' from elsewhere, MO'N should have picked uncapped players with dual nationality, and got them 'tied' down.

These two games are almost pointless, given the results should be a foregone conclusion.
So, er, it should be Scotland we're looking rather more at.

You're right, I think we'll hammer both teams

ArdeeBhoy
24/09/2014, 12:19 AM
Aye, two pretty one-sided matches.
;)

Wonder which is longer odds, the Gib theme park to score, or us...

Crosby87
24/09/2014, 1:51 AM
Ardee how do you copy an image on here with a tablet?

ArdeeBhoy
24/09/2014, 7:44 AM
Of the electronic or medicinal variety...

the doc
24/09/2014, 7:58 AM
But still no place for Sean St Ledger:p

😢

Even MON won't include a player that no club wants.