PDA

View Full Version : Dublin City gone (pending legal action) and Limerick up for re-election

Poor Student
09/11/2004, 8:45 PM
EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Longford Town 2-0 Dublin City
Martin 6, 82 Friel s/o 86

EIRCOM LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION
Kilkenny City 2-1 Limerick
N Andrews 53 Aherne 88
Raggett 78

FRIENDLY (Proceeds to Foyle Hospice)
Derry City 2-0 Institute
Murphy 26, 59

These are tonights results. Nice to see an LOI side get one over on an IL side, congrats to Derry. I hope it went off ok and raised a decent bit of money. The implications of the other matches are the relegation of Dublin City and Limerick have to be re-elected to the eL.

Partizan
09/11/2004, 8:48 PM
Student,

Got a text from the Eircom League service. CHF are indeed gone down so Rovers are safe, thank ****.

Seery hasnt a leg to stand on if it does go to the courts.

Limerick will be re-elected even if Homer Simpson was in charge

Poor Student
09/11/2004, 8:51 PM
Student,

Limerick will be re-elected even if Homer Simpson was in charge

Why should a team who could only muster 12 or 13 players for a game this season and on other occsions failed to even fill the bench be allowed to retain their place after performing so miserably?

dancinpants
09/11/2004, 9:03 PM
I have to agree with you Student, I think its time for a change. There are some Senior League teams with more professional and "league worth" set-ups!

Partizan
09/11/2004, 9:03 PM
Like it or lump it, the League would never expel Limerick. They are there to make up the numbers.

Poor Student
09/11/2004, 9:23 PM
Like it or lump it, the League would never expel Limerick. They are there to make up the numbers.

I am not one to go abusing other clubs but Limerick are really offering nothing other than providing eL football to one of Ireland's major cities. An opportunity the locals are not even availing of. They may be former league winners but if we allow a club to be so poor and unprofessional how can we drive the league forward. Surely the real threat of dropping to the Munster Senior League would have made them gain more than 16 paltry points this season. People harp on about how Mullingar should be there instead of Dub City. I can't help feeling if Limerick were a Dublin side many people from Munster would be calling for their exit from the league.

Ringo
10/11/2004, 5:28 AM
i'm not aware of any legal action on Dublin City's part.

inexile
10/11/2004, 7:29 AM
if right was right limerick would be gone simple as that, but one of the reasons that they wont be is because if they dont get re election there will be no more Limerick FC as most if not all players would go back to their local junior sides, the clubs set up is farcical and beggars belief, the sooner the new regime is in the better but im not that optimistic cos i have seen so many false dawns in the past especially in the last 3 of 4 years

gspain
10/11/2004, 8:07 AM
There is no queue of clubs waiting to join the league.

In fact the league is currently 2 clubs shy of the previous ideal number of 2 12 team divisions.

Hopefully we will have a new investor and be in much better shape next year.

If not then we may not get re-elected but I very much doubt if anyone is waiting to take our place.

Poor Student
10/11/2004, 8:18 AM
i'm not aware of any legal action on Dublin City's part.

Sorry Ringo. Didn't mean it literally. Just implying Seery may not let this be the end of it for Dub City this season.

As for the Lim lads. I've got nothing against you, and I have the utmost respect for those who turn out to support them, but the set up is beyond belief. If and when you're re-elected hopefully you'll get it sorted. I wouldn't like to see the club die a death but then I don't want to see it in this state for the sake of keeping a name alive. Do Mullingar not have league ambitions?

monutdfc
10/11/2004, 8:18 AM
There is no queue of clubs waiting to join the league.

That's very true, so all this talk about how Limerick should not be re-elected is moot.
I hope that the backer mentioned above materialises and Limerick becomes a thriving club again.
Successful junior clubs do not want to take the risk of stepping up to the national league. The cost and travel involved do not make it attractive.

LFC in Exile
10/11/2004, 8:32 AM
I am not one to go abusing other clubs but Limerick are really offering nothing other than providing eL football to one of Ireland's major cities. An opportunity the locals are not even availing of. They may be former league winners but if we allow a club to be so poor and unprofessional how can we drive the league forward. Surely the real threat of dropping to the Munster Senior League would have made them gain more than 16 paltry points this season. People harp on about how Mullingar should be there instead of Dub City. I can't help feeling if Limerick were a Dublin side many people from Munster would be calling for their exit from the league.

"Offering nothing to the league" is a claim I've seen levied against your own club all the time too. UCD is only able to compete because of sports scholarships attracting young players (and more power to you) and having a ground provided. Unfortunately, Limerick has to pay its way (or try to pay its way). The club has been mismanaged for many years - nobody's fault but our own. We hope that the future is in better hands.

paudie
10/11/2004, 8:34 AM
I think Mullingar tried to get in a few years back but Kildare got in instead.

Not sure if they're still interested but they do have a team in the U21 league.

drummerboy
10/11/2004, 8:35 AM
There are many clubs, outside Dublin with the facilities like Arklow, Mullingar Town, Mullingar Athletic, Tullamore, Edenderry and many more, mostly plying their trade in the neither regions of the Leinster Senior league and Midlands Intermediate League, but they would be unlikely to have the financial backing to pay players and the cost of travelling the country every second week.
St James Gate are still alive and kicking and harbour ambitions to return to the EL. Other likely contenders are Belgrove, who now play in Whitehall, who are without doubt the richest club in Ireland, having sold their grounds in Clontarf for £8million punts. They have a team in the EL21 league and do both Mullingar clubs. Malahide and Tolka have excellent grounds but not sure if they have higher ambitions. Up in Ulster Letterkenny Rovers tried to enter a team in the EL u21 but found their way blocked by Finn Harps.

Poor Student
10/11/2004, 8:38 AM
"Offering nothing to the league" is a claim I've seen levied against your own club all the time too.

Well that's the funny thing isn't it. We've never come close to putting in a season like this, yet with bigger crowds than most in the bottom half of Div 1, sending out a decent team, paying them on time we are accused of offering nothing to the league. But when you only bring a squad of 12 to a game it is embarrassing for the whole league. I sympathise with you as a fan to see these kind of things and as I say I hope for your sake you get a decent team and set up together because it looks like you'll be staying.

harps1954
10/11/2004, 8:43 AM
Up in Ulster Letterkenny Rovers tried to enter a team in the EL u21 but found their way blocked by Finn Harps.

I think you'll find if you checked your facts, that Letterkenny Rovers were not blocked by anyone other than the eircom League. The League were committed to allowing one more Donegal side into the u-21 league and they felt that the Inishowen League were a better option to Letterkenny Rovers.

Mad Moose
10/11/2004, 8:50 AM
Thats the correct version of the story and Inishowen did indeed enter the U-21 league and had a fantastic first season with Finn Harps.Well done to Inishowen.

Brendan

drummerboy
10/11/2004, 8:51 AM
I think you'll find if you checked your facts, that Letterkenny Rovers were not blocked by anyone other than the eircom League. The League were committed to allowing one more Donegal side into the u-21 league and they felt that the Inishowen League were a better option to Letterkenny Rovers.

Well I can only tell you what I was told be a well-respected person from Letterkenny Rovers. Seemingly Letterkenny provide Finn Harps with quite a few players and if they were admitted to the eL the supply of players to Finn Park would diminish.

Flea
10/11/2004, 9:43 AM

I couldn't agree more. Limerick have as much right as any to be there particularly in relation to their great history at the very least. From talking to some LFC fans, they believe that the club is in such a bad state now that there is no longer the will or desire to change. As for Mullingar, it would never last. Athlone 20mins away and more importantly(cos we're in the prem) LTFC only 25 mins away.

Crambler
10/11/2004, 10:56 AM
most of the lims fan's on this forum are true blues and fan's of el football.limerick have had a bad time on/off the field,if it were our clubs in the same position would we like some of the comment's made above.
fair play to the loyal limerick fan's that have supported them all season.
let's hope they get the investment needed and re election.

corkharps
10/11/2004, 10:56 AM
Well I can only tell you what I was told be a well-respected person from Letterkenny Rovers. Seemingly Letterkenny provide Finn Harps with quite a few players and if they were admitted to the eL the supply of players to Finn Park would diminish.
That doesn't add up,because Harps get players from Inishowen and that scource hasn't diminished!Somebody talking before thinking!

paudie
10/11/2004, 11:04 AM
most of the lims fan's on this forum are true blues and fan's of el football.

From reading the limerick forum they do seem to have investment lined up and their re-election is a given.

Its one of the crying shames in the eL that a city the size of Limerick can't produce a competitive senior team. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Roo69
10/11/2004, 11:21 AM
Why should a team who could only muster 12 or 13 players for a game this season and on other occsions failed to even fill the bench be allowed to retain their place after performing so miserably?

I actually think they have done amazingly well under the circumstances ! they turned up to bray with 11 players and a manager, not even a physio and they put up a great showing, they even had jimmy fyffe playing up front, he's a bleedin keeper ! I really hope they have new investors lined up for next season and can get everything in order.

drummerboy
10/11/2004, 11:23 AM
That doesn't add up,because Harps get players from Inishowen and that scource hasn't diminished!Somebody talking before thinking!

Well maybe so, after all he is an FAI official

Mad Moose
10/11/2004, 11:50 AM
most of the lims fan's on this forum are true blues and fan's of el football.limerick have had a bad time on/off the field,if it were our clubs in the same position would we like some of the comment's made above.
fair play to the loyal limerick fan's that have supported them all season.

Have to agree with ya Crambler.Ive met some of the nicest supporters in the Eircom League down Pike Rovers Sportsground way.Thank god it was for the last time a few weeks back but I never doubted their supporters and would love to see them rewarded in terms of a future.Its tough to follow a club in such a position but well done to everybody associated with Lims.

Lets hope for a better future.Time things went their way.

Brendan

Schumi
10/11/2004, 2:19 PM
Has any club ever failed to get re-elected?

Éanna
10/11/2004, 5:49 PM
Limerick need to be re-elected: presumably they will have to present their case, and show how they're not just going to do the same again next season. If they have sorted out this investment and are going to move forward next season, then they should be re-elected. A strong limerick team would be great for the league.

As for Dublin City: they have a poor team, a poor attitude and a poor fanbase, AND their ground isn't up to standard- they don't deserve to be in this league, never mind the premier division. BYE BYE :)

sullanefc
10/11/2004, 7:44 PM
Apart from investment, isn't the main stumbling block for Limerick the rule that does not allow players to drop from Senior Level to Junior Level for 18 months? Is this a rule just for the Limerick Junior Leagues? Can a petition be done to get it changed? What's the point in such a stupid rule? I have no doubt that a successful Limerick side full of local lads would draw crowds. Best of Luck to them

brendy_éire
10/11/2004, 7:48 PM

The U21 team wouldn't be a huge threat to Harps, but thinking on down the line, a Letterkenny Rovers team in the eL would be.
The Inishowen League team entered into the U21 League doesn't affect Harps as there is no eL senior team to advance into there. If a player in Inishowen was good enough to play for Harps, he'd be there regardless of the existance of Inishowen in the U21 League.

How many players do Harps get from Inishowen? We get the best of them anyway.

joeSoap
11/11/2004, 9:49 AM
We have the benefactor in place that is prepared to provide us with much needed financial security, a ground of our own, and the opportunity to make the club the profitable, supportable entity it once was. There are three stumbling blocks that should be treated like skittles, but heres hoping.... :ball:

drummerboy
11/11/2004, 10:15 AM
In a situation like Limerick’s the FAI as the parent body, should step in and help Limerick. Its vital that large population centres like Limerick, have a thriving football club. The FAI remit should to facilitate, promote and, in certain cases, invest money in clubs like Limerick. The situation about the 18-month ban on re-entering junior football should also be tackled. I know junior football is huge in Limerick but you have to look at the bigger picture.

NY Hoop
11/11/2004, 10:17 AM
We have the benefactor in place that is prepared to provide us with much needed financial security, a ground of our own, and the opportunity to make the club the profitable, supportable entity it once was. There are three stumbling blocks that should be treated like skittles, but heres hoping.... :ball:

Sounds familiar ;) :D

KOH

joeSoap
11/11/2004, 10:28 AM
Sounds familiar ;) :D

KOH

As long as we don't end upwith Shoddy... :)

ConfusedBlue
16/11/2004, 10:37 AM
and the opportunity to make the club the profitable, supportable entity it once was.
When was this?????????
Is it not true that when Limerick last won the league,Sam Allardyce was in charge and he had to go cap in hand collecting door-to-door in the Limerick housing estates to try to raise the funds to pay the players wages???????

Lim till i die
16/11/2004, 10:48 AM
When was this?????????
Is it not true that when Limerick last won the league,Sam Allardyce was in charge and he had to go cap in hand collecting door-to-door in the Limerick housing estates to try to raise the funds to pay the players wages???????

He was a brave man :D Theres great potential there if the club gets its house in order over 2000 at the Kildare Co. game last year is evidence of that but the fact of the matter is the Limerick sporting public are a notorious fickle shower of fcuks and dont tend to come out and support something unless its being successful. But hopefully with the right kind of backing we can get beck to the good old days of huge crowds and derbys against Cork City and Waterford instead of Cobh Stinkin Ramblers :D :eek:

LFC in Exile
16/11/2004, 11:17 AM
When was this?????????

Yes it is true the last time we won the First Division Big Sam was in charge. The second part if your post is not true. And even if it was that does not diminish the tremendous tradition of senior soccer in Limerick. When many of the great battles were between the Blues of Munster.

Don't get into an argument about tradition/support in years gone by - particularly Waterford and Limerick have a very similar proud tradition. Limerick are in a slump (a long one) but don't get ideas above your station - because bad times can come calling again. And it is not that long since Waterford were plying their trade down in the lower division.

Dufferlover
16/11/2004, 11:41 AM
Despite the terrible season, Limerick deserve to be in the EL. If the lazy ass people turned out to support them things would be different. I do admit that Pike Rovers Sports Ground is an awful place to visit but to say Limerick don't deserve to get re-elected because of their lack of players is farcical.
They don't have the players coz there is no money mainly because of the apparent lack of interest from the City people. It's not Kerley's fault and personally I think he deserves a medal for sticking with them.
Don't forget he led them to a play-off place last season with an equally small squad then in rolled the bigger boys and took most of the quality players away.
Here's to Limerick back next season. We the three quality teams gone, the first division should be very interesting next season indeed.

Poor Student
16/11/2004, 11:53 AM
Despite the terrible season, Limerick deserve to be in the EL. If the lazy ass people turned out to support them things would be different. I do admit that Pike Rovers Sports Ground is an awful place to visit but to say Limerick don't deserve to get re-elected because of their lack of players is farcical.
They don't have the players coz there is no money mainly because of the apparent lack of interest from the City people.

So they deserve their place because? :confused:

NY Hoop
16/11/2004, 12:46 PM
So they deserve their place because? :confused:

History and tradition. Not many moons ago they were playing Real Madrid in europe. Also dont forget last season they got to the play offs with absolutely no resources.

IMO monaghan and chf should be thrown out cos they bring nothing to the league. 20 teams with 5 from the capital is more than enough.

KOH

City Hero
16/11/2004, 12:49 PM
The rift between Junior clubs and eircom league clubs in some areas around the country is ridiculus. The EL is like a missing step of the ladder in the developement of any good footballers in this country, and the FAI or anyone else don't seem to care.

Only Kerry & Sligo/Leitrim DLs in the U21 league have the right approach with a representative team made up of the best players from a number of clubs. Gives the players a feel for representing their county or what ever, but if these teams can develope to a stage where they are ready to join the EL proper, then we could see some real progress.

Dufferlover
16/11/2004, 12:51 PM
They deserve their place because there are people at Limerick trying to do the best for the club just like there is at every club! They can't seem to get the people in the gates and I don't think that is because people at the club aren't trying to drum up support.
Tradition does come into it also but sometimes clubs rely too much on their tradtion instead of moving forward.
Maybe purely for kerley's loyalty and hard work during these troubled. Oh yea and for any of the goalkeepers who found themselves playing up front because of lack of players during the season!! Somehow Mike, I don't think you'll ever make a striker out of John Healy!!!

Éanna
16/11/2004, 1:11 PM
with all due respect to limerick, you can't give a team a place on the basis of history, or how hard a small group of people work. they deserve a place if they are going to add something to the league- i.e. a competitive team and a good ground. the support comes next. limerick look like they have things sorted for next season, so they should get re-elected on that basis

Patrick Dunne
16/11/2004, 8:54 PM
Limericks attitude seems to be "We are going to be re-elected anyway, so who gives a f**k". The likes of Monaghan and Kilkenny may be getting crowds of 100-, but they are developing their own facilities and are moving in the right direction. These areas have no football tradition, but nevertheless are pushing against the flow. Far more progressive than the likes of Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers and indeed my own club, Galway United.

Limerick remind me of Athlone. These two are the clubs in the First Division who present you with the most "club types" (blazer/jacket), yet they are appallingly incompetent. I have great respect for Limerick FC's supporters, but the club is a joke. Their continuing place in the Eircom League is undermining the licensing procedure. Their continuing failure to recognise this
means that they must be kicked out.

This is not an anti-Limerick FC post, it is an anti-incompetence post. I wish the club and its supporters well in the future.

Éanna
16/11/2004, 9:56 PM
very good points, but the good thing is (and there are other threads on this) that Limerick seem to have sorted investment and are going to progress next season. I agree absolutely that teams who are happy just to fester in the first division should not be allowed to do so. Athlone are also building a new ground at the moment so hopefully that will improve their fortunes

LFC in Exile
17/11/2004, 9:21 AM
Limericks attitude seems to be "We are going to be re-elected anyway, so who gives a f**k". The likes of Monaghan and Kilkenny may be getting crowds of 100-, but they are developing their own facilities and are moving in the right direction. These areas have no football tradition, but nevertheless are pushing against the flow. Far more progressive than the likes of Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers and indeed my own club, Galway United.

Limerick remind me of Athlone. These two are the clubs in the First Division who present you with the most "club types" (blazer/jacket), yet they are appallingly incompetent. I have great respect for Limerick FC's supporters, but the club is a joke. Their continuing place in the Eircom League is undermining the licensing procedure. Their continuing failure to recognise this
means that they must be kicked out.

This is not an anti-Limerick FC post, it is an anti-incompetence post. I wish the club and its supporters well in the future.

I actually agree with most of what you write. Despite the excellent end-of-season we had last year theclub was in dire straits come the start of this season (all through the club's own incompetence). We were struggling to get a license. There was talk of the FAI issuing a fixture list without Limerick on it rather than let the whole affair drag on. Shamrock Rovers were in the same position. At that time a lot of the fans had the view that the best thing to do would be to let the club die - with the prospect of starting again when structures were sorted out.

Everyone, including the administration, knew that this was the last chance. Without the proposed investment Limerick FC is dead as an eL team. There is no attitude that lets just wait for re-election. We know that we need to present a proper case for development to the League to justify our continued participation. Limerick fans particulalry don't need to be told how critical this is - we have been too close to extinction too many times to take this for granted.

I think the difference between the progressive clubs you mention and our own is 1. incompetent administration and 2. owning their own ground. Kilkenny can put funds into developing Buckley Park (and get support from the FAI for doing it) because they will not be turfed out. It is very difficult to put money into facilities and develop over the longer term when you don't own any facilities to develop. But don't get me started on that story! :)

ConfusedBlue
17/11/2004, 2:23 PM
Yes it is true the last time we won the First Division Big Sam was in charge. The second part if your post is not true. And even if it was that does not diminish the tremendous tradition of senior soccer in Limerick. When many of the great battles were between the Blues of Munster.
I think you'll find both parts are true.I remember reading an interview in some paper(cant remember which one) with Sam Allardyce before a League Cup final Bolton were involved in.The man himself confirmed the story and said it was the hardest job he ever had to deal with in his life,he reckoned the Bolton job was easy in comparison!!!

Limerick are in a slump (a long one) but don't get ideas above your station - because bad times can come calling again. And it is not that long since Waterford were plying their trade down in the lower division.

How are we getting ideas above our station,we know all too well about what the bads years are like and how hard it is to get out of the wasteland that is 1st division football.However in recent times,it seems the ship has been steadied,proper structures are being put in place and adhered to.
Sadly in Limericks case,this does'nt seem to be the case and there seems to be a long struggle ahead. maybe there is no point in continuing to fight against the rising tide up on Shannonside but for the sake of the loyal band of LFC fans and Mike Kerley's doggedness,determination and loyalty,I hope LFC survive and emerge as a force in senior football once more.

LFC in Exile
17/11/2004, 3:32 PM
Oh well, if it was in the paper. :D

I just meant that Waterford fans should realise they are not a million miles away from the Limerick situation - the tone of the earlier post was very disparaging to Limerick. Thanks for the support in the latter post. :ball:

trevy
17/11/2004, 5:20 PM
I hope Limerick can get their act together and most Eircom League fans would agree that a strong Limerick team would be good for the league.Theres a lot of work to be done though.It'd be good for Munster soccer if it happens.