PDA

View Full Version : Yoofs

outspoken
05/09/2014, 3:21 PM
Longford V Wexford may be a side event compared to some other scenes taking place in town this weekend but a crucial game in our title quest all the same. Wexford are usually a stubborn and rigid team to break down but with them need a win as much as we do and with a vocal away crowd behind them I'd expect them to come out all guns blazing and as long as we can do our job at the back in the first 15-20 minutes then id expect the likes of sully and don to pick them off going forward. Must win. 👍

Longfordian
05/09/2014, 3:47 PM
They're all must win unless and until Shels drop points. It'll be tough, Furlong will have to be watched but I'm sure Flynn and Sullivan will be keeping a tight eye on him, Pat Flynn was praising him in a recent interview. Doyle in goals for them seems to pull off unbelievable saves every time we play them too. This and the Waterford game are our two hardest on paper, excluding the Harps game which all going well we won't need to win. We just need to keep winning though.

Martinho II
05/09/2014, 3:55 PM
will certainly be a tough game for us..love the new name for youths as yoofs!!

outspoken
05/09/2014, 4:51 PM
Furlong out injured according to a few youths fans but could be mind games, I wouldn't call Waterford a hard game should be walking that. Bar harps this is our toughest game

Longfordian
05/09/2014, 4:57 PM
Waterford gave us a tough game the last day. It's a long trip on a Friday and we never play particularly well down there. Mind you Doherty was their best player the last night and he's gone.

IrishRossi
05/09/2014, 11:56 PM
with shels having won this is now a must win match

Darklordsbane
06/09/2014, 6:28 AM
I think it will be a very nervy first half with De Town going in winning 1 nil, followed in the second half by about 25/30 minutes of us dropping deeper and deeper, with The Youths coming with wave after wave of attacks only for us to catch them on the counter attack,
the away support from the Youths is usually very vocal and with the echo in the stand will sound like an army,
I think 2 nil or 2-1 De Town

outspoken
06/09/2014, 11:45 AM
I don't want to make it sound like I'm taking a pop at the stand or anything becuase I was part of it for over 10 years but after all the talk of section O moving etc etc I hope everyone on both sides of the ground make a passionate atmosphere tonight because it really does make a difference so warm up those vocal cords everyone and remember one love one club. C'mon de town.

Longfordian
06/09/2014, 3:20 PM
Seems Furlong's been sick all week with tonsillitis and hasn't trained but I'd still be surprised if he doesn't try and play.

Town Legend
06/09/2014, 9:02 PM
Cu*t of a ref handed them a point. First 'pen' was no where near a pen. Not only was it a dive but a dive outside the box. The Lino was closest to it and never flagged. Not sure about the second pen but Town denied a clear one in first half for a hand ball. And don't get me started on the sending off. How can a player be sent off for having another player jump on your back and both players go down?? The ****e bag had no balls and stayed on the pitch for 5 mins after the game in the hope that the Town fans would leave but fair play to a lot of them hung around to give him the abuse he deserved. Was mentioned to me that he was a former Youths player, not sure how true that is but going by tonight it wouldn't be a surprise.

Darklordsbane
07/09/2014, 6:14 AM
Yes the ref was poor but why
Stephen Rice's big gob does us no favours, every game argueing with the refs, have you ever seen a ref change his/her mind,
what would you do if you were a ref having to listen to that abuse,
only human nature to try and get your own back,
50/50 decisions go to the opposition, book him, give peno against his team, send him off, he was very lucky not to be booked twice last night, lets not forget that back pass that got Sullivan into trouble in the first place, how many bookings has Rice now must be very close to being suspended,
it is up to the captain to have a quite word with the ref not eat his/her head off, yes I know Rice is captain sometimes, (bad mistake imo) but with his experience he should know better. when have you ever seen Mark Salmon booked for argueing with a ref

positives last night were
Good crowd
very exciting game
some very good football played at times
came back from 2-1 to draw
still a point ahead with four games left

Martinho II
07/09/2014, 8:02 PM
I am surprised there is not much talk about last night. coming out of the ground I was devastated but I was speaking to one of the backroom staff in town afterwards and he confirmed to me that Sully was pushed first by the Youths player.. I also thought Dave Sully was most unlucky not to get a peno near the end. I did think for the first peno that was outside the box.

But in hindsight considering we could have lost the game we did brilliantly to equalise. If we had a player of the season I would give it to Gary Shaw and not Dave Sully. I think tiredness is the reason Dave is not scoring but his assist was superb for 2-2. I think Shawsy is superb and is in the best form of his life. In my many years followin the town he is definitely one of the best that I have seen for his headers . The last person that I can think of was brill for headers was Keith O Connor.

Its still in our hands and maybe the break for the FAI Cup has come at the right time. Kevin O Connor was a massive loss for us. Don Cowan yet again was useless for us. I think we will get Pats a good game Tues but I would not lose sleep over the result.

Martinho II
07/09/2014, 8:09 PM
by the way it was confirmed after the game that the ref is from Wexford. The FAI are the greatest muppets..

Olander
07/09/2014, 9:22 PM
by the way it was confirmed after the game that the ref is from Wexford. The FAI are the greatest muppets..
So what? Longford are reffed by Dubliners all the time and there's never a big fuss made about it?

Acornvilla
07/09/2014, 10:46 PM
You're a flanker.

Martinho II
08/09/2014, 1:23 PM
So what? Longford are reffed by Dubliners all the time and there's never a big fuss made about it?

this ref used to play for Wexford youths. if you were at the game you would have seen how bad he was. Why the FAI appointed someone from Wexford to ref the game I will never know. Even an ex loi ref in the stand agreed on how hard done we were by them. now you go back and beat Shels for us if you dont mind!

Olander
08/09/2014, 1:38 PM
this ref used to play for Wexford youths. if you were at the game you would have seen how bad he was. Why the FAI appointed someone from Wexford to ref the game I will never know. Even an ex loi ref in the stand agreed on how hard done we were by them. now you go back and beat Shels for us if you dont mind!
I'm sure we will give them a good run for their money anyway.

Terry
08/09/2014, 3:35 PM
as things stand, I would rather meet longford in the play-off than Shels.

Darklordsbane
08/09/2014, 4:33 PM
be careful what you wish for

Longfordian
08/09/2014, 5:01 PM
We looked tired against Shels. I wasn't at the Youths game but a week off mightn't do any harm at this stage. A win tomorrow night would be nice for confidence but it's our fifth most important game left now.

De Town
08/09/2014, 10:18 PM
We played well on Saturday in my opinion, definitely our best performance in the last 6/7 games anyway. Wexford didn't offer a whole lot going forward, and the 2 penalty decisions really were outrageously bad. When the team who are getting the penalties aren't even appealing for them and all look surprised when they're given you know the ref's had a shocker. We deserved to win the game but at the same time, huge credit to the players for dragging a point out of it in the end after the 2 big decisions went against us. We've got the 4 worst teams in the league for our last 4 games. If offered this position back in March with 4 games to go, I probably would have taken it. Still well in our hands.

outspoken
09/09/2014, 1:19 PM
I'd agree that prior to youths scoring their first goal it was our best footballing performance in about 6 or 7 weeks but as soon as youths scored we panicked and started playing this ridiculous hoofball rubbish. Players out of position all over the place, just the same stuff we've come to expect from TC down the years. Yes we did fantastically well to get a point in the end but I thought in the second half youths played far better football and looked way more lively than us so maybe your right in saying we need the week off and from what I'm hearing it will he a reserve XI tonight

Longfordian
09/09/2014, 4:19 PM
TC in his post game was talking about giving a few young players a game and letting the crowd see what they're like. He was full of praise for Ger Pender in particular, said he was really excited about him. Not sure why he hasn't given him a run before now if that's the case. I'd say it'll be a mixed team as we've no game after this until Saturday week.

outspoken
10/09/2014, 12:55 PM
Won't bother starting a new thread on last nights game but here's my thoughts.

We gave pats a fantastic game in the second half with the arrival of Rice Salmo and Rhys into the midfield and only for their keeper we would have at least got ET. Tommo Morris was absolutely fantastic and no one deserved the goal more than him and to see him celebrate with section O was fantastic.

Down sides on the night, Glenn O'Connor was absolutely awful he has no pace what's so ever and offers nothing going forward, Id put Tommo Morris in there for our next league game and see how he goes. Peter Hynes assisted Pats first goal and may as well not have been on the pitch and while I was one of the first people on here to say this season that people shouldn't be giving him stick from the stands I couldn't blame any passionate town fan for taking a pop at him last night as his lack of effort was disgraceful and while Ger Pender didn't really impress he certainly hassled the defenders both on and off the ball so he deserves to take Hynes place for the remainder of the season.

Everyone was calling out for don Cowan to play up front and while I think that's exactly what was needed with pats playing so high up with slow defenders like Oman, he really was fantastic especially in the second half as he burnt the full backs every single time he took them on. Salmo made a huge impact playing higher up the park and that's exactly where we need him for the rest of this season with rice doing his job in behind.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic effort from the lads in the second half and if Tony is to include the likes of Morris and Pender between now and the end of the season it fills me with great confidence that we will get up. C'mon de town.

(Good to see a healthy attendance out too especially in section O who were superb second half)

De Town
10/09/2014, 1:47 PM
Am I the only one who thought Morris wasn't that great? Everyone seems to be praising him to the hilt but both Pats goals came down his channel. He looked very slow too. He did add height to our back 4 which is needed alright, but overall I wasn't too impressed. Absolutely loves a hoof too.

outspoken
10/09/2014, 2:13 PM
Am I the only one who thought Morris wasn't that great? Everyone seems to be praising him to the hilt but both Pats goals came down his channel. He looked very slow too. He did add height to our back 4 which is needed alright, but overall I wasn't too impressed. Absolutely loves a hoof too.

Not having a go but have to say I'm shocked I thought he was superb. The back 4 was carved open with ease for the 2 goals but a lot of that was down to us being so deep and the ball being played on the inside of Glenn O'connor who was done for pace. I thought Morris's played it out from the back superbly with some simple passes and the odd accurate chip pass forward, certainly no Chris dean diags from him.

Bosco
10/09/2014, 2:15 PM
I agree, if you want to be praised all you have to do is celebrate in front of Section O these days. I thought he was solid enough and put in some good tackles but he didn't look too confident on the ball. There was one or two times where he was under pressure to pass it back to Bennion and looked like he was nearly tripping over the ball and he also half volleyed it miles into the air twice when he had time to take it down and pass it.

I thought it was a decent performance for a fella who hasn't played all that much and i'd like to see both him and Pender more involved but no way would I put him left back, despite how bad O'Connor was last night.

Bosco
10/09/2014, 2:31 PM
Not having a go but have to say I'm shocked I thought he was superb. The back 4 was carved open with ease for the 2 goals but a lot of that was down to us being so deep and the ball being played on the inside of Glenn O'connor who was done for pace. I thought Morris's played it out from the back superbly with some simple passes and the odd accurate chip pass forward, certainly no Chris dean diags from him.

Actually was it him that made that through ball from our own half to Pender in the lead up to our goal?

De Town
10/09/2014, 2:34 PM
Actually was it him that made that through ball from our own half to Pender in the lead up to our goal?

No that was Havo.

Actually think Pender looked decent. A bit raw but could definitely be decent backup. He was very isolated as well which didn't help his cause.

Longfordian
10/09/2014, 6:11 PM
How did Conor O'Brien do? Is that his first proper game for us?

Martinho II
10/09/2014, 7:41 PM

yep that was his competitive debut along with Pender. I didnt think that much of him during game. He was very quiet I thought.

Darklordsbane
10/09/2014, 9:04 PM
I thought O Brien was very good in bursts but was out of position and missing for a lot of the game, Rhys looked like he was on his own a lot of the time, but to be fair to O Brien what he did do was alright, I think he made their goalie pull off a good save,
mind you I was sitting beside a few people who thought he was very lazy, (imo he wasn't on his own there) I would give him another chance if by some miricle we are 3 goals up with 5 mins to play

outspoken
11/09/2014, 4:28 PM

Forced their keeper into a top notch save after one of our best moves of the match, didn't notice him in the game overall it must be said but he did nothing wrong either.

hollocaine
16/09/2014, 9:28 PM
LSC Final highlights:

http://irishsoccerleagues.com/leinster-amateur-soccer-leagues/leinster-football-association-lfa/longford-town/longford-town-v-st-patricks-athletic-lfa-senior-cup-final/

Editing is a bit out of sync but eventually it shows the two 2nd half goals