Cobh Ramblers v Finn Harps

Sunday

Shamrock Rovers v GalwayFC

nigel-harps1954
04/09/2014, 6:26 PM
Friday

Premier.

St.Pats Ath v DundalkFC 7.05pm Live on RTE2

This Shamrock Rovers bias on RTÉ simply has to stop. They're even showing their cup opponents live the week before to give them an extra chance to look at them before the game, also live on TV, next week. It's a disgrace.

patrickccfc
04/09/2014, 7:07 PM
Massive weekend with the top 4 facing off.. a win for us would be brilliant and you would think that would be enough to secure at least 3rd.. on paper pats away is tough for dundalk but the way they are going I can only see them winning.. but it is one of two games that there is any potential for them to drop points.. a pats win coupled with a win for us would make it interesting

oriel
04/09/2014, 9:25 PM
I think any result from the two games involving the top 4 on fri night will be interesting. We haven't lost in the league since April, but it will be a fairly tough test tomorrow that's for sure. I don't see us losing, and think we are well set up to take a draw.

A win for both Pats and Cork will reduce the lead to 3 pts, then again a win for Dundalk and Rovers and it's increased to 9, and that could be 12 on Monday as we play Derry at home, brought forward from Sept 19.

I think this would be unlikely though, and I'd say the lead will be as it is now tomorrow night, 6 pts.

Charlie Darwin
04/09/2014, 9:34 PM
It's interesting the way it's worked out that the top four all face each other on the same weekend three times, and the bit of symmetry with it being 1 v 3, 2 v 4. I doubt Rovers will be so naive travelling down to Cork as they were under Croly, and I doubt Pats will collapse like they did in Inchicore earlier in the season (and Bolger has helpfully got himself banned so he can't get sent off again). I wouldn't be surprised to see two draws and no change at the top. I reckon it might be Dundalk's toughest game from the entire final series.

outspoken
04/09/2014, 10:25 PM
Very tough game for de town this weekend but I think the fact Wexford need to win it just as much as we do will play in our favour as usually they sit with 10 behind the ball and make it difficult but I expect them to come out all guns blazing and as long as our back 4 holds up early on which I would expect it to do we should be able to catch them on the hop and once we are ahead I think experience will see is through. C'mon de town.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2014, 5:57 PM
This is our toughest test of the season so far. The games are coming thick and fast and irrespective of the result for us then the next toughest game will be Derry the following Monday.

It's a massive test for us against the mighty Galacticos of St. Pats. I really hope we win and we all need to be on top of our game. Pats still have a slim chance of winning the league. But they have to win tonight.
I think this one is too hard to call.

BTW if rovers players get bookings or sent off will they miss the cup match with us. If so I hope they get sh1t loads lol

nigel-harps1954
05/09/2014, 6:11 PM
Well..that's an interesting start in Inchicore.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 6:18 PM
Dundalk should be level, playing the better football so far.

patrickccfc
05/09/2014, 6:20 PM
Come on pats.. always a goal in dundalk though

colonelwest
05/09/2014, 7:20 PM
Not one for looking for cards but that could have been a leg breaker on Towell there, should have been a red. Higgins could have gone for two yellows in the first half though for us.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 7:21 PM
Bohemians 1 (Corcoran) - 0 Bray
Cork City 0 - 0 Shamrock Rovers
Derry City 0 - 1 Sligo Rovers (Zayed)
Drogheda 1 (Holohan) - 0 Athlone Town
St Patrick's Athletic 1 (Fagan) - 0 Dundalk
UCD 0 - 1 Limerick (Gaffney)

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 7:33 PM
McBride levels for Derry. Shels 2 up at Waterford, Connolly with the second.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2014, 7:36 PM
Persistent cynical fouling by pats on Dundalk especially on towel.

Ref is a joke

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 7:39 PM
Persistent cynical fouling by pats on Dundalk especially on towel.

Ref is a joke
You got away with the same in the first half and Brennan was booked for nothing. He's hardly been partial.

Nesta99
05/09/2014, 7:43 PM
2 seriously x rated tackles in pats dundalk match! Should both be down to 10

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2014, 7:44 PM
Dundalk missing some big chances here. Both teams guilty of terrible tackles, referee being very lenient. Feeling like this is going to be another night Cork will be left kicking themselves.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 7:50 PM
2 seriously x rated tackles in pats dundalk match! Should both be down to 10
McDermott's was madness, Browne's at least could be put down to just being a lump. You'd hope Kenny gets a handle on that as he has a reputation.

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2014, 8:01 PM
If Cork do end up overtaking Dundalk before the end, Dundalk will be haunted by all those chances in the last 15 minutes tonight.

Limerick two up, Gaffney again. Bottom three all losing.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 8:02 PM
Game over, Pats deservedly narrow winners.

Derry 2-1 up at home to Sligo now, Barry with the goal. Gaffney with his second to make it UCD 0-2 Limerick.

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2014, 8:08 PM
2-1 now. Point for UCD would be big with Bray and Athlone both losing.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 8:10 PM
3-1 Limerick now and 2-1 Bohs. The game in Turner's Cross the only one without a goal now.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 8:35 PM
Injury time winner for Cork, Murray celebrates in front of the Rovers fans which is a bit distasteful. Only three points in the title race now and advantage back to Pats for the European spot.

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2014, 8:36 PM
Murray with a huge goal for Cork. Run-in looking very interesting now.

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2014, 8:41 PM
Remaining games:

Dundalk - Derry (h) UCD (a), Shams (h), Athlone (a), Bray (a)

Cork - Limerick (a) Sligo (h), Drogs (h), UCD (a), Bohs (h)

Then Dundalk/Cork on the last day. Bit easier looking for Dundalk, playing the bottom three, but usual "fighting for survival" fluke chances apply.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2014, 8:42 PM
Squeaky bum time. Dfc never do it easy.

3 points ahead. 4 including goal difference.

3 points a must against Derry

pineapple stu
05/09/2014, 8:48 PM
****ing Athlone and 90th minute equalisers again. They have eleventh, I'm full sure. We only started playing at 2-0 down, just like last week. Don't know where the points are going to come from. Limerick could have been reduced to ten for pulling Benson back by the neck - a yellow for the foul as he'd gone past the guy, but grabbing him around the neck was needlessly dangerous. Would probably have been a harsh red, but at the moment, we're getting nothing. And not helping ourselves either.

Calcio Jack
05/09/2014, 8:53 PM
Injury time winner for Cork, Murray celebrates in front of the Rovers fans which is a bit distasteful. Only three points in the title race now and advantage back to Pats for the European spot.

No problem with Murray doing that as one who grew up in the 70s when the likes of Robin Friday or Sid Wallace locally did that to the opposing fans plus a two fingers most times they scored think its a real pity ( albeit might be for safety) that players don't do that any more- find it even more nauseating when players don't celebrate when they score against ' their old club' bring back 70s punk attitudes and drop all the current false PC sh@t

I'm much more pi!sed off that he scored

patrickccfc
05/09/2014, 9:09 PM
In our defensive foursome, he's absolutely awesome, from corners he will score some, his name is Dan Murray(to the tune of the Addams family if ye don't know) place went hysterical when that went in absolutely buzzing here.. certainly makes things interesting now with dundalk losing

wonder88
05/09/2014, 9:18 PM
Yea, I remember Sid Wallace used to be at that a fair bit alright. Think some Dundalk players returned the compliment to him during an FAI cup final, if I remember correctly. Did Wallace stay for long in Ireland/league? Was it just 1 season?
League race still on. I hope Athlone can some how get off the bottom place, if only they had removed Cooke earlier. One point from two away games by Fenlon so far, but I suppose we will not see the fruits of his work until next year, in the league anyway. Had a good cup record over at Hibs.

PartySaint
05/09/2014, 9:22 PM
An absolutely fantastic game in Richmond tonight, not sure how it finished 1-0 and not sure how it finished 11 v 11.

I still think Dundalk will win the league.

It's just a shame we couldn't get the 11 that started for us tonight out more often this season or else we'd be in the title race as well.

Hopefully we can keep them all fit and just maybe we could finally get our hands on the cup again.

Fahey is back fit and he's a class above, MOTM for the second game in a row,

It's a shame Dundalk decided not to play Towell tho :P

White Horse
05/09/2014, 9:35 PM
Who said it was all over!

Pats midfield got the upper hand for the vast majority of the game. We could have nicked an undeserved point at the end.

The title race will go down to the wire. More twists and turns to come as nerves kick in.

PartySaint
05/09/2014, 9:38 PM
Who said it was all over!

Pats midfield got the upper hand for the vast majority of the game. We could have nicked an undeserved point at the end.

The title race will go down to the wire. More twists and turns to come as nerves kick in.

I don't think it would have been undeserved, you created enough chances to score at least 1.

geysir
05/09/2014, 9:55 PM
It looked that Pats were the better team on the night and deserved the 3 points.
Dundalk just went down with a fight and that should augur well in last few game.

oriel
05/09/2014, 9:56 PM
No problem with Murray doing that as one who grew up in the 70s when the likes of Robin Friday or Sid Wallace locally did that to the opposing fans plus a two fingers most times they scored think its a real pity ( albeit might be for safety) that players don't do that any more- find it even more nauseating when players don't celebrate when they score against ' their old club' bring back 70s punk attitudes and drop all the current false PC sh@t

I'm much more pi!sed off that he scored

Robin Friday 'the greatest player you never saw' what a book that was and a superb photo on the cover, him scoring and giving the keeper the 2 fingers.

Obviously very disappointing night from our side, coupled with the impressive win by Cork the title race will certainly go on to the end, but it was always likely to, unless we were 3 points clear going into the final game, then all Cork would need would be a 16-0 win!

This was the hardest game we had in the run in but it was still disappointing to lose the 4 month unbeaten record. We can return the 6 point advantage for 4 days at least with a win over Derry on Monday, but that's going to be tougher than expected.

Ps nice touch Pats having the 'Des Denning RIP' sign up at the ground, those who may not have known, he was DFC chairman from 2000 for a few years and was in charge for FAI Cup win 2002. I was at his funeral today, they even read out a Mass card sent 'from a pats fan'

Well played lads.

patrickccfc
05/09/2014, 10:12 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLYiZLs5ok. Murray's goal

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 11:07 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLYiZLs5ok. Murray's goal
Wish I could tell you what McGuinness was attempting to do there but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Brilliant goal though, much as it grinds to say it.

Pablo Escobar
05/09/2014, 11:12 PM
I missed it, but Murray does not strike me as the player to celebrate infront of his former clubs fans. Heat of the moment is the only excuse, but he shouldn't have done it. Great night for us though.

Dunny
06/09/2014, 4:29 AM
Absorbing game of football in Richo last night.Pats well deserved the win and destroyed any game plan that SK had.Two tough tackling sides & i thought the ref done well.LB got his tactics spot on.

As for the nunpty that got Dundalk another €500 fine with the flare at the end... just fcuk off and get a life you dick!!

nigel-harps1954
06/09/2014, 5:52 AM
As for the nunpty that got Dundalk another €500 fine with the flare at the end... just fcuk off and get a life you dick!!

They really don't get it do they? Are they going to fight against the injustices of this fine too?

gael353
06/09/2014, 8:07 AM
****ing Athlone and 90th minute equalisers again. They have eleventh, I'm full sure. We only started playing at 2-0 down, just like last week. Don't know where the points are going to come from. Limerick could have been reduced to ten for pulling Benson back by the neck - a yellow for the foul as he'd gone past the guy, but grabbing him around the neck was needlessly dangerous. Would probably have been a harsh red, but at the moment, we're getting nothing. And not helping ourselves either.

Yee had zero shots on target in the first half. Your goal came from a misplaced pass to your winger by one of ours. For ery scramble chance which ucd had in the last 15 mins (against a defense with only a full back is a reg starter) limerick had 3, with gaffney, lynch. Doherty, tracy and turner all having numerous chances. You have a clearly demented manager in charge who is leading you into the first division. Limerick are a mid table side, some (2/3) of your players would walk onto pats or dundalk teams but your manager hasn't a clue after previously failing at longford and bohs.

Louth4sam
06/09/2014, 9:03 AM
Thought Pats were the better team in first half and sat back and let us attack in second. Hard to know what would've happened if we had of nicked an early goal but Pats soaked up the pressure well and limited us to half chances. Team selection and tactics by buckley were spot on. Kenny's however were terrible. Lost our shape completely with both Higgins and Shields in the team and there was a huge gap between midfield and Hoban. Subs made a difference but he made the wrong ones

i thought the ref done well.

I thought he had a stinker. Give a load of random frees to Dundalk early in the first half, soft yellows to both Higgins and Horgan and then didn't book them for far worse tackles later. I have no idea how Higgins wasn't sent off at the end of the first half. Bolger also kicked about 6 of our players before getting booked for a tackle that deserved red. His linesman in front of Dundalk fans was worse, a clear as day corner for each team missed by both him and ref and he didn't make one decision all night.

Flexy
06/09/2014, 9:28 AM
The Dundalk v Derry game is coming at the wrong time for Cork, I dont know what team Derry will put out against Dundalk cause of the Cup Game on Friday against Drogs. Before anyone says it Derry wont lie down but cant see their minds and Peter Huttons mind being on the game as much as the make or break season game against Drogs nxt friday. Id love to see our good friends from Cork win the league but cant see Derry beating Dundalk on Monday. I know Dundalk have the cup next weekend too but Dundalks main priority is to win the league and the cup as a bonus so Dundalk wil be much stonger than the Derry team.

adamd164
06/09/2014, 10:17 AM
The Dundalk v Derry game is coming at the wrong time for Cork, I dont know what team Derry will put out against Dundalk cause of the Cup Game on Friday against Drogs. Before anyone says it Derry wont lie down but cant see their minds and Peter Huttons mind being on the game as much as the make or break season game against Drogs nxt friday. Id love to see our good friends from Cork win the league but cant see Derry beating Dundalk on Monday. I know Dundalk have the cup next weekend too but Dundalks main priority is to win the league and the cup as a bonus so Dundalk wil be much stonger than the Derry team.

I'm just not going to expect anything but a Dundalk win, anything else is a bonus from our point of view. I would hope for Derry to give Dundalk a decent game though with confidence high.

To have any chance to win it, we'll have to be no more than 2 points behind going into the final game v Dundalk, so we need to make up 1 more point over the course of the next 5 games.

brendy_éire
06/09/2014, 10:18 AM
The Dundalk v Derry game is coming at the wrong time for Cork, I dont know what team Derry will put out against Dundalk cause of the Cup Game on Friday against Drogs.

It'll be "experimental" according to Hutton. Dundalk will win ahndy enough, ye'd imagine.

Good win for us last night, played some lovely football. Similar the Cork and Pats home games, we dominated the match, just really struggled to finish off our chances.
The star of the show however was the ref, Dave McKeon. Mental stuff altogether. Denied us at least one penalty, if not too. Giving corners instead of goal kicks, giving random free outs from corners, inconsistent bookings, sent off Hutton, denied Sligo a stonewall penalty in injury time and produced a yellow for diving. Mad stuff.

jinxy lilywhite
06/09/2014, 10:45 AM
Experimental lol.

Big game for us to get back on track. Any type of victory will do for us.

Derry always come to Dundalk for a game with the exception of the last time when Roddy parked the bus and would not let any of the Derry players leave their penalty area.

I expect Derry to smell blood and to be really up for this

outspoken
06/09/2014, 11:49 AM
Thought Pats were the better team in first half and sat back and let us attack in second. Hard to know what would've happened if we had of nicked an early goal but Pats soaked up the pressure well and limited us to half chances. Team selection and tactics by buckley were spot on. Kenny's however were terrible. Lost our shape completely with both Higgins and Shields in the team and there was a huge gap between midfield and Hoban. Subs made a difference but he made the wrong ones

I thought he had a stinker. Give a load of random frees to Dundalk early in the first half, soft yellows to both Higgins and Horgan and then didn't book them for far worse tackles later. I have no idea how Higgins wasn't sent off at the end of the first half. Bolger also kicked about 6 of our players before getting booked for a tackle that deserved red. His linesman in front of Dundalk fans was worse, a clear as day corner for each team missed by both him and ref and he didn't make one decision all night.

Have to agree the ref was shocking should have been a red card on each side so at least it evened it self out. Was a hard hitting game alright but sometimes that's good to see when there is a certain skill element in the game also as we are the ones always complaining about the game going soft but then again a few of the tackles last night were well over the top,,,,,literally.

outspoken
06/09/2014, 11:50 AM
Yee had zero shots on target in the first half. Your goal came from a misplaced pass to your winger by one of ours. For ery scramble chance which ucd had in the last 15 mins (against a defense with only a full back is a reg starter) limerick had 3, with gaffney, lynch. Doherty, tracy and turner all having numerous chances. You have a clearly demented manager in charge who is leading you into the first division. Limerick are a mid table side, some (2/3) of your players would walk onto pats or dundalk teams but your manager hasn't a clue after previously failing at longford and bohs.

He may be a great coach acceding to all reports but feck me he is an absolute spoofer of a manager, UCD dug themselves a hole letting Russell go for what ever reason and it's going to cost them dear.

pineapple stu
06/09/2014, 1:13 PM
We didn't let Russell go.

Gael may have some valid points, but I have to laugh at his post - the angriest I've ever seen someone after a 3-1 away win!

DRDoc
06/09/2014, 1:16 PM
We didn't let Russell go.

What did happen there exactly?