PDA

View Full Version : Keely unhappy with Roddy “mess”

Ringo
09/11/2004, 12:55 PM
Keely unhappy with Roddy “mess”

November 9, 2004

Dublin City caretaker manager Dermot Keely has put the boot into the club’s former boss Roddy Collins for the state in which he left the Vikings following the decision to jump ship and take over at Shamrock Rovers last week.

Keely was placed in temporary charge ahead of last Thursday night’s clash with Drogheda United after the sudden decision of Collins to walk out on the Vikings for the job as Hoops boss.

But the experienced manager, a veteran of spells at the helm of Shelbourne, Dundalk and Derry City, is adamant that Roddy is could not be more wrong when he says he left the club in better shape than when John Gill stepped down in the summer – with the uncertainty surrounding the raft of English-based players one of the principal debilitating factors for Dublin City.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=14545

In his Irish Sun column, Keely wrote: “I have inherited a real mess at the club. Roddy brought in seven English players, and five are still there. Two of them – Keith Rowland and Grant Cooper – fly in and out which is not ideal. The other three, Adam Rundle, Scott Friel and Ronnie Henry, are based in Dublin but were given permission to return to England last weekend.

“Yes, that is right. Roddy told them they were free to return home when we have a must-win game against Longford Town. Had I known, I would have stopped them.

“It is also the case the loyalty of those five players lies with Roddy ... Who knows, they may have expectations – or maybe they have even heard – that Roddy would take them to Rovers? So is it really in their interest to fight to the death for Dublin City?

“And it is not as though I can drop them because Roddy got rid of so many players when he took over that the squad is positively threadbare. When I looked at my bench last Thursday, I thought I was in charge of Home Farm’s under-17 side.”

Keely and Dublin City put their Premier Division scalps on the line tonight (Tuesday) when they take on Longford Town at Flancare Park in the knowledge that anything less than three points will finalize their relegation from the top flight.

NY Hoop
09/11/2004, 1:09 PM
Keely unhappy with Roddy “mess”

November 9, 2004

Dublin City caretaker manager Dermot Keely has put the boot into the club’s former boss Roddy Collins for the state in which he left the Vikings following the decision to jump ship and take over at Shamrock Rovers last week.

Keely was placed in temporary charge ahead of last Thursday night’s clash with Drogheda United after the sudden decision of Collins to walk out on the Vikings for the job as Hoops boss.

But the experienced manager, a veteran of spells at the helm of Shelbourne, Dundalk and Derry City, is adamant that Roddy is could not be more wrong when he says he left the club in better shape than when John Gill stepped down in the summer – with the uncertainty surrounding the raft of English-based players one of the principal debilitating factors for Dublin City.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=14545

In his Irish Sun column, Keely wrote: “I have inherited a real mess at the club. Roddy brought in seven English players, and five are still there. Two of them – Keith Rowland and Grant Cooper – fly in and out which is not ideal. The other three, Adam Rundle, Scott Friel and Ronnie Henry, are based in Dublin but were given permission to return to England last weekend.

“Yes, that is right. Roddy told them they were free to return home when we have a must-win game against Longford Town. Had I known, I would have stopped them.

“It is also the case the loyalty of those five players lies with Roddy ... Who knows, they may have expectations – or maybe they have even heard – that Roddy would take them to Rovers? So is it really in their interest to fight to the death for Dublin City?

“And it is not as though I can drop them because Roddy got rid of so many players when he took over that the squad is positively threadbare. When I looked at my bench last Thursday, I thought I was in charge of Home Farm’s under-17 side.”

Keely and Dublin City put their Premier Division scalps on the line tonight (Tuesday) when they take on Longford Town at Flancare Park in the knowledge that anything less than three points will finalize their relegation from the top flight.

Nobody takes keely seriously anymore. Guy is out of his mind. He jumped ship himself to derry from kildare. His parting words to the kildare dressing room: "You're all ****, I'm off to derry"!!

Whats this? His 12th club? Enough said............

KOH

Jim Smith
09/11/2004, 1:35 PM
Nobody takes keely seriously anymore....

And you are the only ones who take Collins seriously. The Panto season started early this year :D

NY Hoop
09/11/2004, 1:37 PM
And you are the only ones who take Collins seriously. The Panto season started early this year :D

Roddy is the Don King of the eircom league! Roll up roll up :D

KOH

Ringo
09/11/2004, 1:46 PM

KOH

jayus , are we back to killing again :rolleyes:

Jim Smith
09/11/2004, 1:49 PM

KOH
More like the Don key of the eircom league :D

jofyisgod
09/11/2004, 7:57 PM
More like the Don key of the eircom league :D

How about the scummiest, most lowlife, disloyal, treacherous, brown-nosing money grabbing bástard in the eL.

Partizan
09/11/2004, 8:39 PM
Keely on Coddy..

Talk about the pot calling the kettle a black arse.

onceahoop
09/11/2004, 11:38 PM
I've seen some bad and sad things in football in my lifetime but if Roddy sent the English players home last weekend it's the worst thing I've ever seen. It makes a mockery of the League and really, Rovers should be very afraid for the future if they're employing this egomaniac.

What goes around comes around.

Ringo
10/11/2004, 5:18 AM
I've seen some bad and sad things in football in my lifetime but if Roddy sent the English players home last weekend it's the worst thing I've ever seen. It makes a mockery of the League and really, Rovers should be very afraid for the future if they're employing this egomaniac.

What goes around comes around.
You'd want to see how the ones that were left played, no heart, no interest :rolleyes:

Colm
10/11/2004, 11:25 AM
How about the scummiest, most lowlife, disloyal, treacherous, brown-nosing money grabbing bástard in the eL.

Are you talking about Ollie Byrne or Ronan Seery?!

Colm
10/11/2004, 11:38 AM
Of course Roddy Collins. Get with the program :rolleyes:

Roddy moved from a nothing irrelevant little club to arguably the biggest club in Dublin in order to better his managerial career.
How you can compare that to the constant scumbag behaviour of the likes of Byrne and Seery baffles me.

Colm
10/11/2004, 11:53 AM
I didnt compare it to the behaviour of Seery and Byrne. You did so you can baffle yourself all you want. It doesnt matter whether he moved from smallest to the biggest. Their are certain moral values in life , loyalty and honesty for example and when a person breaks such codes he can no longer be trusted or respected. People like roddy dont deserve the time of day , mercenaries dedicated to the destruction of the league and such people are a menace to society (in this case the el) that they need to be treated in the harshest of ways and dealt with in a severe manner. You can be baffled all you want but you have to read between the lines and Roddy Collins IS A VERMON WHO HAS NO MORAL OR ETHICAL VALUES

You should tell Ronan Seery about morals and ethical values.....

Fair play to Roddy for getting out of a sinking ship, you've got to admire the mans ambition!

Macy
10/11/2004, 11:59 AM
I didnt compare it to the behaviour of Seery and Byrne. You did so you can baffle yourself all you want. It doesnt matter whether he moved from smallest to the biggest. Their are certain moral values in life , loyalty and honesty for example and when a person breaks such codes he can no longer be trusted or respected. People like roddy dont deserve the time of day , mercenaries dedicated to the destruction of the league and such people are a menace to society (in this case the el) that they need to be treated in the harshest of ways and dealt with in a severe manner. You can be baffled all you want but you have to read between the lines and Roddy Collins IS A VERMON WHO HAS NO MORAL OR ETHICAL VALUES
It would have been far more ethical to stay in a job, which was always just till the end of the season, when you knew you were going to their main relegation rivals for the following season.

Shoddy was stupid in one respect, as he could've held his peace, seen CHF relegated (a probability whether he gave 100% or not), and then moved close season with no one passing any remarks.

Jim Smith
10/11/2004, 12:17 PM
Shoddy was stupid in one respect, as he could've held his peace, seen CHF relegated (a probability whether he gave 100% or not), and then moved close season with no one passing any remarks.
Then he wouldn't have got the media exposure that the clown loves and craves.

Colm
10/11/2004, 12:18 PM
Ambition , wheres the mans loyalty.

It's impossible to be loyal to club that has no soul.

Colm
10/11/2004, 12:25 PM
And Rovers stink of soul????? :eek:

They have hardcore fans and a good history and could have a good future in Tallaght. They're also good for rivalry between fans and stuff, that will never be the case with DC!

I hate the cnuts but I'd rather have them around over Dublin City any day.

Macy
10/11/2004, 12:38 PM
Yes he could have done this , but he chose the wrong path something which the guy has been doing all his life.
But how is that more ethical? Better to leave once he'd agreed with Rovers than to stay IMO. If his heart wasn't in the fight, then surely worse to stay?

Then he wouldn't have got the media exposure that the clown loves and craves.
No arguement there, but I wouldn't say it was less ethical.

dortie
10/11/2004, 12:54 PM
Keely has a nerve talking about anyone leaving a club in a mess, he brought in the biggest pile of duds to Derry and had them play 'hoof the ball' before he lost the plot and walked out of the Club.

Unbelievable...

As Liam Coyle said in a Derry paper on Sunday....'It amazes me how managers of the likes of Keely walk back into EL football smelling of roses'

Jim Smith
10/11/2004, 12:54 PM
No arguement there, but I wouldn't say it was less ethical.
I don't know much about ethics myself :eek: but the bottom line surely is that with Shoddy you knew what you were getting into in the first place. God help SRFC....

Macy
10/11/2004, 1:00 PM
Personally I don't see it as question of ethics. It's just life.

Guerzy, 3 weeks before an important presentation for your current, crappy employers who you are with as an agency temp (week to week basis, no contract), an albeit struggling blue chip company offers you a permenant job. What do you do? I'd take the new job myself, no qualms.

Macy
10/11/2004, 1:23 PM
This is football not some blue chip company and in football loyalty is one of the one of the most important traits of the game. In the workplace factories and shops etc loyalty is not a key factor and that is the outstanding difference between the two codes.
To players and managers, or the vast majority of them, it is just a job. Players and managers go where the money is/ the conditions best suit them. Loyalty isn't a key factor for them, only for the fans.

drummerboy
10/11/2004, 1:25 PM
About a year ago I spoke to an Irish tv pundit who has since criticised Roddy recently on air. We spoke about loyalty in football. His asked me to spell loyalty, which I did but he corrected me with the answer M-O-N-E-Y. Basically there is no loyalty in football.

NY Hoop
10/11/2004, 1:58 PM
Personally I don't see it as question of ethics. It's just life.

Guerzy, 3 weeks before an important presentation for your current, crappy employers who you are with as an agency temp (week to week basis, no contract), an albeit struggling blue chip company offers you a permenant job. What do you do? I'd take the new job myself, no qualms.

Gurzy with a job?!!! :D :D :D

KOH

NY Hoop
10/11/2004, 2:12 PM
Very mature post :rolleyes:

Oh so you're not the spa who sent abusive PMs to Rovers fans? VERY MATURE :eek:

KOH

sullanefc
10/11/2004, 8:01 PM
I read Roddy's column in the Star on Sunday. He made the point that if he stayed with Home Farm having been offered a job by Shams then it would be unethical. He would have been tempted to pick bad teams and not prepare the players properly. Only the likes of Roddy would think of something like this. Anyone else would have liked to prove the doubters wrong and save Home Farm from relegation. If that was not mathematically possible then no problem, but before important games that could save them from relegation? It stinks.

And no one here has yet pointed to the ethics of the SRFC board. Approaching the manager of the team that could send you down is downright low. Roddy and SRFC are welcome to each other.

Ronan Seery is an idiot and should have had Roddy on a contract.

The whole thing is a mess and reflects badly on the league.