PDA

View Full Version : €10,000 incentive from Carroll's if Vikings beat the drop

Ringo
09/11/2004, 6:56 AM
€10,000 incentive from Carroll's if Vikings beat the drop!

8th November '04

CARROLL'S Irish Gift Stores, sponsors of Dublin City FC, has offered a ö10,000 incentive for the club if they avoid relegation from the Eircom Premier Division.

City lost the services of their manager Roddy Collins when he controversially walked out in favour of their arch rivals in the bid to beat the drop, Shamrock Rovers, just hours before last Thursday's game against Drogheda United which the Vikings eventually lost 3-2.

Lorcan O'Connor, Director of Carroll's said: "We're delighted to make this offer. Dublin City FC have a tough fight on their hands, but hopefully the offer of €10,000 into a players fund will act as a spur to them."

O'Connor also took the opportunity to encourage other Dublin business people and individuals to rally behind the Vikings: "If there is any other companies or potential fans out there who have Dublin City FC's interest at heart, I'd ask them to come forward and help this young and ambitious club prosper.

"I hope the players will accept the offer in good faith and rise to the challenge. It's to recognise that their efforts are appreciated as are those of the backroom staff as well."

Said Ronan Seery, Chief Executive of Dublin City FC: "This is a magnificent gesture by Carroll's They have been superb sponsors and have really helped elevate the profile of the club. I'd like to thank Colm Carroll, Lorcan O'Connor and all the staff at the various Carroll's outlets for their continued support and good wishes.

"The offer is very generous and it's for the players who are battling so hard on behalf of the club under such difficult circumstances. We have a small but loyal band of supporters and I know they will be delighted when they hear of Carrolls' generous gesture.

"We need people to come on board and get behind this club more than ever. We're trying to offer an alternative to the more established clubs out there and I believe that we represent a modern and progressive Dublin and perhaps people may appreciate that we do have something to offer Dubliners from all walks of life and we'd be delighted to see new fans come through the turnstiles to cheer us on."

Current Dublin City skipper Marc Kenny was equally delighted to hear of Carroll's offer. "That's a terrible nice gesture," said Marc. "You tend to get these type of incentives at bigger clubs, but to be offered that type of money for a small club like us is nice. We're professionals and we'd be going out and giving the remaining three games 100% regardless. It's nice that there is a potential bonus for us if things work out and it won't be for the lack of effort. On behalf of the players and backroom staff, i'd like to thank Carroll's for their generous offer."

Risteard
09/11/2004, 8:44 AM
I'll make it €20k

GavinZac
09/11/2004, 10:09 AM
i, myself will give €250,000 to dublin city if they avoid relegation. :D

Breifne
09/11/2004, 10:29 AM
i, myself will give €250,000 to dublin city if they avoid relegation. :D

I'd start laying off that bet if i was you,

Could be held liable.

observer
09/11/2004, 4:12 PM
Pity Carroll's did'nt make their offer 2 weeks ago. Roddy might have stayed on to snatch the bonus purse. Also the offer might have meant something while there was a hope of it being claimed. It smacks of business opportunism at this stage with Carroll's looking for cheap advertising.

Partizan
09/11/2004, 9:06 PM
ah well, at least Carrolls are smiling :D

exile
09/11/2004, 10:04 PM

Could be held liable.
are we taking bets on who will win in court ;)

CollegeTillIDie
09/11/2004, 10:40 PM
All academic after tonight's result..... Dublin City are officially down...
Looks like the rat has prospered :ball: :(

A face
09/11/2004, 11:14 PM
I see nothing wrong with Carrolls offering that .... they have given money already to sponsor the club, why not make the best of that sponsorship ... they are just flexing that fact that they are involved with the club. If DCFC are in the media for whatever reason then Carrolls should seek the benefits. And if DCFC DID stay up ... then they would have been alot better off money wise.

That kind of media coverage might encourage other companies to pitch in a sponsor an eL club.

Ringo
10/11/2004, 5:17 AM
I see nothing wrong with Carrolls offering that .... they have given money already to sponsor the club, why not make the best of that sponsorship ... they are just flexing that fact that they are involved with the club. If DCFC are in the media for whatever reason then Carrolls should seek the benefits. And if DCFC DID stay up ... then they would have been alot better off money wise.

That kind of media coverage might encourage other companies to pitch in a sponsor an eL club.

They did the same last season. Its terrible, that theres so much money in ireland & Eircom clubs can't attract it. With all the bad publicity over the last few weeks, you could see why its not an attractive sport for sponsors.

Éanna
10/11/2004, 6:01 PM
When I saw the title of the thread I thought Ollie Byrne was offering free fags to the Home Farm players or something :D

In all fairness though, Ringo, that is a very good point. the money is around, but clubs need to do more to attract it, fair play to home farm on that account.

Ringo
10/11/2004, 7:26 PM
In all fairness though, Ringo, that is a very good point. the money is around, but clubs need to do more to attract it, fair play to home farm on that account.

when you look at Dunnes/tesco/superquinn to name but a few,we need as a league to attract more money in, otherwise the League will stay small. Limerick could be agreat team , if they got the money, one team one city.

CollegeTillIDie
10/11/2004, 10:46 PM
it begs the question doesn't it?

Where is Dermot Desmond investing money he made in this country in his soccer hobby? Or John Magnier or JP McManus to name three?

They have invested their money in foreign teams playing in a foreign country.
Until Abramovich arrived in Ingerland this sort of thing was uncommon elsewhere.

Poor Student
10/11/2004, 11:08 PM
it begs the question doesn't it?

Where is Dermot Desmond investing money he made in this country in his soccer hobby? Or John Magnier or JP McManus to name three?

They have invested their money in foreign teams playing in a foreign country.
Until Abramovich arrived in Ingerland this sort of thing was uncommon elsewhere.

Desmond does feck all for Celtic. It's pure business. Hoping they get into the EPL or a European Super League. Nothing more. Same with JM and JP, I think they were always hoping they'd hold the balance of power in a takeover to negotiate an extortionist sale. We need people to drive clubs, not buy shares to watch their value grow and sell them.

GavinZac
15/11/2004, 11:35 AM

Could be held liable.

im sorry, i guess i'll be plying my money into a club with a future in the league, sorry :(