PDA

View Full Version : best defender in the league?

Pages : [1] 2

gypsyfella
09/11/2004, 1:41 AM
new on here lads, just havin a discussion with a mate last nigth over who was the best defender..

i say Owen Heary.. whos the choice on here?

oh and we agreed on Weso as midfielder and O'Neill and Murphy up front..

monutdfc
09/11/2004, 8:09 AM
Are you talking about this season only, or overall.

I'd agree with Owen Heary - consistent for years, very rarely caugt out.
For midfield it has to Kevin Hunt - not at his best this season, but still the best midfielder in the league.
Upfront - tough call: for consistency over a number of seasons I'd go for Crowe and Jason Byrne, but there are a lot of contenders

patsh
09/11/2004, 8:18 AM
Alan Bennet and Stephen Grey would have to come into it, or is this for Dublin players only?

inexile
09/11/2004, 8:42 AM
as a limerick man i may be a bit biased but i think paddy purcell is top class and im also sad to say that paul finucane could show his class if he moved away from limerick

Macy
09/11/2004, 9:05 AM
Alan Bennet. i know must look biased and prob is but he has been brillaint.
I can't believe anyone would be so bias.... Anyway, my pick is Barry Ferguson.... :D

Dillo
09/11/2004, 9:09 AM
Scouser Rodgers of shels.

joeSoap
09/11/2004, 9:31 AM
Goalkeeper: Steve Williams
Defender: Owen Heary
Midfielder/Striker: Kevin Doyle
Striker: Jason Byrne.

Roo69
09/11/2004, 10:07 AM
Premier
Defender: Owen Heary
Midfielder: Kevin Hunt
Striker: Jason Byrne

1st Division
Goalkeeper: Chris O'Connor
Defender: Wes Charles
Midfielder: Tony McDonnell
Striker: Kevin HcHugh

Lim till i die
09/11/2004, 10:41 AM
Best Premier Defender: Pat Purcell
Best 1st Division Defender: Paul Finucane

and im not a bit biased :D

wws
09/11/2004, 10:57 AM
Premier
Goalkeeper: Stephen O Brien

Young Goalkeeper: Brendan Clarke - youngest and best keeper in the league

Defender: Owen Heary/Colm Foley - Foley nudging it cos he can score too!

Best Young Def: Quigo - quite simply sensational!

Midfielder: Stuey Byrne - excellent player

Young Mid: Keith Fahey - class act - totally confounded me this year

Striker: O'Brien out of Drogs gets it for me - Jason Byrne has a major Thierry Henry complex- bottles the big occassions continuuously than scores 4 v some team who arent arsed - no suprise than that his manager is out looking for Crowe is it? (seems like a bizarre thing to say as hes top striker - but watch him being dropped next season!)

Slash/ED
09/11/2004, 11:19 AM
Jason Byrne has a major Thierry Henry complex- bottles the big occassions continuuously than scores 4 v some team who arent arsed - no suprise than that his manager is out looking for Crowe is it?

You mean like cup finals and crucial title deciding games wws?

Dick Long
09/11/2004, 11:25 AM
Pat Purcell - top notch

wws
09/11/2004, 11:30 AM
You mean like cup finals and crucial title deciding games wws?

no i basically just mean hes crap
missed penalty in longford i see.. tut tut

Slash/ED
09/11/2004, 11:33 AM
no i basically just mean hes crap
missed penalty in longford i see.. tut tut

Yeah, but so long as he keeps scoring in the small games, you know, the title deciders, fai cup finals and the like, it'll be enough for me.

drummerboy
09/11/2004, 11:39 AM
Gray of Drogheda is best defender

Longfordian
09/11/2004, 11:42 AM
Quigo is Stephen Quigley of Pats, plays left back I think, good player any time I've seen him but a lot of our defenders are top notch, Ferguson, Dillon, Prunty and Gartland are all outstanding without any bias, we have one of the best defences in the league

Dufferlover
09/11/2004, 12:11 PM
Sean Dillon is top notch! He will be one of the best defenders in the League for years to come! lets not forget Colin Hawkins in all this or Danny O'Connor from Drogheda.

Roo69
09/11/2004, 12:27 PM
Quigo is Stephen Quigley of Pats, plays left back I think, good player any time I've seen him but a lot of our defenders are top notch, Ferguson, Dillon, Prunty and Gartland are all outstanding without any bias, we have one of the best defences in the league

true but the rest of your team has left you down big time in the league ! Only scored 26 gaols all season in the league, even DC have scored more than that.

Danny O'Connor is top class, Cant believe we left him go for nothing a few seasons back :eek:

Longfordian
09/11/2004, 12:29 PM
Strikers have let us down big time, we have three strikers with less than ten goals between them all year, the amount of chances we miss is unreal

Carlin
09/11/2004, 3:17 PM
Defender Owen Heary
Midfielder: Kevin Hunt
Striker: Glen Crowe

Coltron
09/11/2004, 3:37 PM
I say Heary, but as regards central defenders I'd go Danny O Connor as my choice. This year with the season we've had he is own best player. Himself and Stevie Grey were the foundation of our season. Grey is more talented I'd say but lacks Dannys mental strenght.

As much as it pains me to say it Dillon of Longford is another quality defender.

Partizan
09/11/2004, 8:41 PM
Pat Purcell is a class player and no doubt our signing of the season. Rumours abound that Finnucane could be wearing the three ships on his left breast next season.

kevincronin2000
09/11/2004, 9:16 PM
Even tho he cant get into the team at the moment Danny Murphy

jfogarty
10/11/2004, 5:42 PM
GK - Williams
Defender - Heary/Foley
Midfielder - Byrne
Striker - O'Brien

Éanna
10/11/2004, 6:05 PM
Keeper: Williams
Full-back: Heary
Central Defender: Bennett (just ahead of Gray from Drogs)
Winger: Kearney
Centre-mid: stuey byrne (just edges gamble out)
Forward: "Super" Kevin Doyle

RedX
10/11/2004, 6:24 PM
Keeper :Micky Devine(extremely consistent)
Defender:Owen Heary(not the best passer but great heart)
Midfielder:Liam Kearney(left sided)
Striker:Robbie Doyle/K Doyle/John O Flynn when fit/Fenn when he puts his mind to it...

jofyisgod
10/11/2004, 7:47 PM
Keeper: Williams
Full-back: Heary
Central Defender: Bennett (just ahead of Gray from Drogs)
Winger: Kearney
Centre-mid: stuey byrne (just edges gamble out)
Forward: "Super" Kevin Doyle

Agree with this one mostly. Heary is a dirty scumbag of a player, but that's why he's so effective! Kearney has come to the fore this year despite early criticism, and Benno has been faultless-pure class.

I can't see why Hunt is in people's teams of the league as a whole-He's bloody good, but hasn't been quite himself this season. I'd still like to see him play for a proper team down South ;) :D

TonyD
10/11/2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah, but so long as he keeps scoring in the small games, you know, the title deciders, fai cup finals and the like, it'll be enough for me.

I'd say WWS was thinking more of big games as in european games, where this season Byrne had countless chances to score and didn't do so. OK, he is still one of the best strikers in the league, but when it came to stepping up a level he didn't have it. Making a mockery of the repeated calls for him to play for Ireland and that stupid Brian Kerr song the Shels dorks sing.

the ox
11/11/2004, 11:15 AM
Dave Rodgers in the Prem and Wes Charles in the First

KR's Post
11/11/2004, 12:53 PM
Wes Charles in the First
Spot on there!!!!

Roo69
11/11/2004, 12:59 PM
I'd still like to see him play for a proper team down South ;) :D

Sure Cobh could'nt afford his wages

inexile
11/11/2004, 1:04 PM
lads just wanted to get an honest answer as being a limerick fan i might be a bit biased but can neutral fans from div 1 clubs especially tell me is paul finucane as good as i think he is?

SÓC
11/11/2004, 1:15 PM
Used to think Terry Palmer but I donno now. Have his powers declined or just the fact that he's playing for poor team.

Drogs centre backs are both very good.

Harris is good but a scut

jofyisgod
11/11/2004, 4:23 PM
Sure Cobh could'nt afford his wages

:D :D Ha Ha Very Funny... We hear it every year about Hunt to City-will it ever happen?

Éanna
11/11/2004, 5:37 PM
lads just wanted to get an honest answer as being a limerick fan i might be a bit biased but can neutral fans from div 1 clubs especially tell me is paul finucane as good as i think he is?
very very good. himself and purcell were a great partnership, but both are very good players in their own right. agree with SOC on Palmer- excellent player too.

patsh
11/11/2004, 5:47 PM
Used to think Terry Palmer but I donno now. Have his powers declined or just the fact that he's playing for poor team.

Drogs centre backs are both very good.

Harris is good but a scutIt might have something to do with those around him, but Palmer has depreciated a lot over the last few seasons. Personally would'nt even put him in the top ten now.....

ConfusedBlue
16/11/2004, 10:47 AM
tell me is paul finucane as good as i think he is?
Well if he's anywhere near as good as Pat Purcell is,we'll take him off your hands in the blink of an eye.Purcell has been by far the find of the season!!Top class player,we always look a more solid team with him in the side.

As for J.Bryne,he has got to be the most over-rated striker in the league.fair enough he scored 25+ league goals but you put Daryll Murphy,John O'Flynn,Kevin Doyle,Glen Crowe,Robbie Doyle,etc into that Shels side and they'll score that amount and more on top of it.How many times have we seen J.Bryne bottle it this season when Shels needed him and his goals most?????????

Slash/ED
16/11/2004, 11:41 AM
Well if he's anywhere near as good as Pat Purcell is,we'll take him off your hands in the blink of an eye.Purcell has been by far the find of the season!!Top class player,we always look a more solid team with him in the side.

As for J.Bryne,he has got to be the most over-rated striker in the league.fair enough he scored 25+ league goals but you put Daryll Murphy,John O'Flynn,Kevin Doyle,Glen Crowe,Robbie Doyle,etc into that Shels side and they'll score that amount and more on top of it.How many times have we seen J.Bryne bottle it this season when Shels needed him and his goals most?????????

Yeah, like the way he keeps scoring in crucial title deciding matches, ie the winner against your lot. What a choker. If he scores one more goal this season he'll have one of the highest league goals talleys of all time in one season, he's already equalled Crowes top effort and the elague has improved dramatically since then.

gael353
16/11/2004, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=ConfusedBlue]Well if he's anywhere near as good as Pat Purcell is,we'll take him off your hands in the blink of an eye.Purcell has been by far the find of the season!!Top class player,we always look a more solid team with him in the side.

Find of the prem season perhaps! we knew about Pats ability for the past 3 years and Paul is just class alongside him. Pat is the ball winner while Paul shows class and poise around him. Will this partnership be brought back together again? in the blues of Waterford or Limerick? my bets on the latter!

ConfusedBlue
17/11/2004, 2:40 PM
Yeah, like the way he keeps scoring in crucial title deciding matches, ie the winner against your lot.
How so???Now had ye been playing Bohs,Drogheda or Cork maybe it would of been a title deciding game i.e. both teams having something to play for.What did Waterford have to play for????From what I've heard and seen of the game Bryne missed a hatful of chances and Shels should of been 5 or 6 up goin in at halftime!!!!

As I said in the post earlier you put the likes of Crowe,O'Flynn,Doyle,Murphy,etc in that Shels team and they're going to score goals.Any half decent striker is going to score goals given the service Bryne has recieved from his teammates this season.
He choked bigtime when it mattered,in both ties in both legs against Depor and Lille!!!

sligoman
17/11/2004, 2:43 PM
Defender: Wes Charles

:D Ha, He's ****e.That's why we got rid of him :D

Roo69
17/11/2004, 2:48 PM

How many times have you actually see Jayo play in the flesh ? One of the hardest working strikers in the league. Has everything need to be a top class striker. Great with both feet, excellent in the air, can run all day and is also a superb free kick taker.

Over rated my @rse !

De Town
17/11/2004, 2:49 PM
Has to be Sean Dillon :D

joey B
17/11/2004, 2:51 PM
How so???Now had ye been playing Bohs,Drogheda or Cork maybe it would of been a title deciding game i.e. both teams having something to play for.What did Waterford have to play for????From what I've heard and seen of the game Bryne missed a hatful of chances and Shels should of been 5 or 6 up goin in at halftime!!!!

As I said in the post earlier you put the likes of Crowe,O'Flynn,Doyle,Murphy,etc in that Shels team and they're going to score goals.Any half decent striker is going to score goals given the service Bryne has recieved from his teammates this season.
He choked bigtime when it mattered,in both ties in both legs against Depor and Lille!!!
Thats crap he worked very hard but got no support at all.

ConfusedBlue
17/11/2004, 2:58 PM
Thats crap he worked very hard but got no support at all.
How many chances did he miss in both legs against Depor and Lille?????
I recall at least 2-3 occasions against Depor when he was 1on1 with the keeper and ****ed up big time!!

How many times have you actually see Jayo play in the flesh ?
Well over the past 2 seasons,I've seen him play in the flesh alot more times than you have

LFC in Exile
17/11/2004, 3:36 PM
Pat Purcell is a class player and no doubt our signing of the season. Rumours abound that Finnucane could be wearing the three ships on his left breast next season.

Paul Finucane is muck. We'd be delighted if you snapped him up. He'll never make it in the Premier - no way. Absolute rubbish - trading off the name, that's all. No, you boys would be much better off holding on to your money for when a proper centre half comes along.

inexile
17/11/2004, 3:52 PM
a bit of reverse psychology i feel L F C would i be right?

Dillo
17/11/2004, 4:02 PM
Has to be Sean Dillon :D

Spot on there lad. :)

bohs til i die
17/11/2004, 4:26 PM
The best defender in the league is the Brute [Derek Coughlan]. He would head lawnmowers all day. Absolute beast of a centre half. Stephen Kennys best signing, and worst offload.

If Cork had him in their team this season, they'd be shining the league trophy by now. Coughlan is an absolute rock at the back, and he chips in with some goals as well

Éanna
17/11/2004, 4:30 PM
The best defender in the league is the Brute [Derek Coughlan]. He would head lawnmowers all day. Absolute beast of a centre half. Stephen Kennys best signing, and worst offload.

If Cork had him in their team this season, they'd be shining the league trophy by now. Coughlan is an absolute rock at the back, and he chips in with some goals as well
jeeze he must have been on something when he was in dublin. he's strong and aggressive but he wastes a lot of ball. far from th best in the league