PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Oman 3rd September 2014 & Georgia 7th September 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ArdeeBhoy
21/08/2014, 10:11 AM
http://www.fai.ie/international/senior-men/104134-o-neill-names-provisional-squad-for-oman-and-georgia.html

tetsujin1979
21/08/2014, 10:15 AM
that's a massive squad!
You'd have to imagine Elliot, O'Brien, Pearce, Gibson, Doyle, Duffy, Sammon, Quinn, McClean, Murphy and Doyle will be among the players removed before the meetup
No disrespect to Quinn, but Reid and Hoolahan are in the squad, and are pretty established players already

Fixer82
21/08/2014, 10:44 AM
No room for Jack Grealish

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/08/2014, 11:04 AM
that's a massive squad!
You'd have to imagine Elliot, O'Brien, Pearce, Gibson, Doyle, Duffy, Sammon, Quinn, McClean, Murphy and Doyle will be among the players removed before the meetup
No disrespect to Quinn, but Reid and Hoolahan are in the squad, and are pretty established players already

Would generally agree apart from Pearce. He had a decent game against Italy and it wasn't him that looked completely out of his depth against Portugal. Be hard on him to get dropped.

Good to see McShane in there. Amazing that Kelly is still getting called up. Matt Doherty of Wolves would be a more prudent call up; it would reduce the average age of the squad for a start.

ArdeeBhoy
21/08/2014, 11:05 AM
Or Harry Kane/Kyle Naughton/Mark Noble or some fella, S.Ireland...
:rolleyes:

Tbh, a bit too much, 'the same old, same old'?

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/08/2014, 11:06 AM
No room for Jack Grealish

For all we know, he has told Roy that he doesn't want to be called up yet. Either way, he has only played 20 minutes this season so it would be hard to justify playing him ahead of lads like Quinn, Reid and Hoolahan.

Supreme feet
21/08/2014, 11:24 AM
Think it's safe to say Paul Green's international career is over, if he's not making it into a 36-man squad.

zero
21/08/2014, 11:26 AM
Think it's safe to say Paul Green's international career is over, if he's not making it into a 36-man squad.

i believe former midfield rival keith andrews 'done him' in a recent championship fixture.

andrews international career is certainly at an end it seems.

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/08/2014, 11:26 AM

How can you kill that which won't die?

DeLorean
21/08/2014, 11:29 AM
Seems to be going well at Rotherham (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9431044/sky-bet-championship-rotherham-awaiting-news-on-paul-green-foot-injury)

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2014, 11:44 AM
For all we know, he has told Roy that he doesn't want to be called up yet. Either way, he has only played 20 minutes this season so it would be hard to justify playing him ahead of lads like Quinn, Reid and Hoolahan.

O'Neill said he had a conversation with Grealish and his dad. He feels he's developed a lot in the last year. He still has options and is happy continuing with the U21s. "He felt comfortable playing under-age but it's totally different thing committing yourself at senior level."

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/08/2014, 12:02 PM
O'Neill said he had a conversation with Grealish and his dad. He feels he's developed a lot in the last year. He still has options and is happy continuing with the U21s. "He felt comfortable playing under-age but it's totally different thing committing yourself at senior level."

I don't know of any 19 year old that would turn down a cap for their country but c'est la vie.

I always said it would be a fruitless exercise picking him for these games because the lad doesn't want to be tied down and he wouldn't want a cameo against Georgia determining his International fate.

The lad's line of decision making is what it is - career driven. His goals over the last several years have always been based around making the Aston Villa senior team as soon as possible but when it comes to the national team he isn't ready.

DeLorean
21/08/2014, 12:28 PM
Must admit to feeling pessimistic about this development also.

Bray Head
21/08/2014, 12:31 PM
that's a massive squad!

Is McCLean injured ? He's not featured for Wigan this season and not even on the bench.
Is Doyle back at Wolves ? Same story with him not featured for club.

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2014, 12:37 PM
McClean is injured, Doyle is on the transfer list.

tetsujin1979
21/08/2014, 12:44 PM
Doyle doesn't even a squad number:(

the doc
21/08/2014, 12:50 PM
Some brutal selections in there.

MON Out!

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2014, 12:51 PM
How's the club hunt going, doc?

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/08/2014, 12:54 PM
To be completely honest, if I was in Doyle's position I would see out my contract too, but he has to be aware that he is 31 years old soon and he is threatening to do a Winston Bogarde.

Contrast Doyle's attitude with McClean. Didn't McClean take a considerable wage cut to leave Sunderland and join Wigan?

Supreme feet
21/08/2014, 12:55 PM
Some brutal selections in there.

MON Out!

Unfortunately, Sean St. Cannavaro can hardly be considered for international football if he's unattached, having only played two competitive games of club football in the last fifteen months. A pity, as I would have him ahead of Delaney, Pearce and Keogh, all things being equal.

DeLorean
21/08/2014, 1:05 PM
How has he not found a club? Must have the worst agent ever.

TheOneWhoKnocks
21/08/2014, 1:10 PM
I forgot to let ye know. I got a job writing for the Independent. :p

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/irish-news/how-ireland-might-line-up-against-georgia-30526054.html

"Robbie Keane is still Ireland’s best finisher and will get goals, particularly against the so-called weaker countries. While I would start Shane Long against the stronger nations, Keane gets the nod for the Georgia game."

Supreme feet
21/08/2014, 1:47 PM
I forgot to let ye know. I got a job writing for the Independent. :p

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/irish-news/how-ireland-might-line-up-against-georgia-30526054.html

"Robbie Keane is still Ireland’s best finisher and will get goals, particularly against the so-called weaker countries. While I would start Shane Long against the stronger nations, Keane gets the nod for the Georgia game."

Strange, I could have sworn you were Roy Curtis!

Still, it's not an unreasonable opinion to suggest that - if we're playing with one striker - Long would be a better option in games against technically superior opponents, where we're trying to press high up the pitch and harry the opposition's defence. Also not unreasonable to say that Keane would be more suitable up top in games where we're expected to have the majority of possession and create chances.

Olé Olé
21/08/2014, 1:59 PM
If Long were up front on his own, we'd need to ensure that one of the criterion for picking the midfield 5 would be that they can score a goal. Looking at the squad, the goalscoring midfielders are McGeady 3, Whelan 2, Reid 4, Walters 5, McClean 1, Brady 1, Hoolahan 1 and Gibson 1. A midfield 5 of Whelan, McCarthy, Hoolahan, McGeady and Walters would be quite likely. They have 11 goals between them from 190 games (fag packet maths, not considering games any of the 5 have played together).

Dodge
21/08/2014, 1:59 PM
Doyle doesn't even a squad number:(

They've made it pretty clear they can't afford him and have to get rid of him

Supreme feet
21/08/2014, 2:10 PM
If Long were up front on his own, we'd need to ensure that one of the criterion for picking the midfield 5 would be that they can score a goal. Looking at the squad, the goalscoring midfielders are McGeady 3, Whelan 2, Reid 4, Walters 5, McClean 1, Brady 1, Hoolahan 1 and Gibson 1. A midfield 5 of Whelan, McCarthy, Hoolahan, McGeady and Walters would be quite likely. They have 11 goals between them from 190 games (fag packet maths, not considering games any of the 5 have played together).

If we were picking the midfield based solely on goalscoring ability (i.e. finishing, set-piece threat, long-range shooting, making runs into the box), Reid and Gibson would get in ahead of McCarthy, and both Brady and Pilkington would start ahead of McGeady. It's a pity that two of our technically better midfielders don't score more often.

geysir
21/08/2014, 5:53 PM
Things must be bad for Kevin Doyle, there's not even Doyle to Celtic rumour floating about.

TrapAPony
21/08/2014, 10:46 PM
So much for new recruits:confused:

Crosby87
21/08/2014, 10:49 PM
If Everton ever flies Malaysia Air we are screwed.

ArdeeBhoy
21/08/2014, 11:43 PM
Or 'Ull...

DannyInvincible
22/08/2014, 1:20 AM
Big squad, but no major surprises.

No word on Naughton or Kane then?

The lad's line of decision making is what it is - career driven.

Multiple factors can drive a dual national footballer's decision-making to varying degrees. Just because his career might be a significant consideration doesn't mean he cares nothing for his Irish identity other than it being a tool for him to cynically exploit to the benefit of his career.

Charlie Darwin
22/08/2014, 2:01 AM

No, or McGoldrick. Naughton and Kane are presumably still looking for an England call-up, and both have realistic chances.

ArdeeBhoy
22/08/2014, 11:16 AM

No, or McGoldrick. Naughton and Kane are presumably still looking for an England call-up, and both have realistic chances.

Hmm, you missed a certain post a mere 14 hours earlier...

Though tbf, it didn't draw the usual banal comment.
:rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
25/08/2014, 12:43 PM
It's a wet bank holiday Monday here in Jack Grealish Land.

Who'd be people's first XI from that lot? I'm struggling, but I'll have a go.

Westwood
Coleman O'Shea Delaney Wilson
McCarthy Hendrick
McGeady Hoolahan Reid
Keane

I only have high conviction over about 4 of those selections. In the others I was caught in several minds. I'm pretty sure O'Neill will stick with 442 and there'll only be one of Reid and Hoolahan (if any) while Keane and Long will start together.

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/08/2014, 12:51 PM
Forde
O'Brien, O'Shea, Delaney, Wilson
McCarthy, Hendrick
Coleman, Hoolahan, McGeady
Long

Olé Olé
25/08/2014, 1:10 PM
Forde
Coleman, O'Shea, Delaney, Wilson
McCarthy, Quinn
McGeady, Hoolahan, Brady
Keane

Had a good think about centre-half. Wilson showing well there this calendar year for Stoke and brings a touch more pace than O'Shea and Delaney do so could be deemed a good partner to either. But then there's the conundrum of which to leave out and who to play left-back (O'Shea probably doesn't have the legs anymore but was a decent left-back in his day).

Toss-up between Quinn and Hendrick for my preference. Just thinking about it there, Hendrick deserves a competitive start and Georgia is a good side to give it to him against. Quinn has showed well for Hull so far this season and is playing to prove a point. I think he deserves the opportunity to do likewise for Ireland too.

I've gone for Brady on the wing. Hasn't got the opportunities at Hull thus far this season but is raring to go and, like Hendrick, I think he'll be an integral player over the next 10 years. Still only 22. I'm really hoping this is his season. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see McClean there either.

Hoolahan is my pick for number 10, just on the basis that MO'N likes him there. Reid is a very viable alternative in that spot and I'd rather him there than on the flank.

Keane up front ahead of Long. Critics say he scores his goals against weaker opposition. That's perfect then- he must be destined to score against Georgia.

Stuttgart88
25/08/2014, 1:24 PM
I think O'Neill said something quite firm about denying the merit of Coleman as anything other than a full back, although I don't see it myself. I think he could easily be a right sided midfielder in TOWK's lineup.

Quite a lot of players could argue strongly for inclusion: Hendrick, Meyler, Quinn, Gibson when fit, Hoolahan, Whelan, Brady, Pilkington, McClean, Long versus Keane versus both. O'Neill says he is close to knowing his best XI. I hope he is because Im nowhere near knowing mine!

I hope O'Brien makes the trip and is fit to play for a change. I'd prefer to see him take Kelly's squad place.

Olé Olé
25/08/2014, 1:36 PM
I think O'Neill said something quite firm about denying the merit of Coleman as anything other than a full back, although I don't see it myself. I think he could easily be a right sided midfielder in TOWK's lineup.

Quite a lot of players could argue strongly for inclusion: Hendrick, Meyler, Quinn, Gibson when fit, Hoolahan, Whelan, Brady, Pilkington, McClean, Long versus Keane versus both. O'Neill says he is close to knowing his best XI. I hope he is because Im nowhere near knowing mine!

I hope O'Brien makes the trip and is fit to play for a change. I'd prefer to see him take Kelly's squad place.

There is a bit of healthy competition. Hopefully, some players can get their seasons up and running and we'll have even more competition for the following round of qualifiers. On the other hand, there'll be further casualties due to wear and tear but, as it stands, the likes of Brady, Gibson and McClean would all be in contention to start once they had competitive games/form behind them. They don't have either, at present.

Supreme feet
25/08/2014, 3:21 PM
My personal choice -

Westwood
Coleman - O'Shea - Wilson - O'Brien
Brady - McCarthy - Reid - McGeady
Hoolahan
Keane/Long (depending on the latter's form)

What I suspect O'Neill will pick -

Forde
Coleman - O'Shea - Wilson - Ward
McGeady - McCarthy - Whelan - McClean
Hoolahan
Keane

TheOneWhoKnocks
25/08/2014, 3:55 PM
Lack of goals from midfield is a problem.

Gibson, Hendrick
Coleman, Reid, Brady/Pilkington
Long/Keane

If we are including players based on their goalscoring threat..

No player in my opinion encapsulates the malaise of the Ireland national team more than Glenn Whelan. I don't know what he brings to the team other than experience. Any player could fill in and do his job. For all the stereotypes about Hoolahan, he has shown more bite and energy when he has played in midfield.

Supreme feet
25/08/2014, 4:19 PM
No player in my opinion encapsulates the malaise of the Ireland national team more than Glenn Whelan. I don't know what he brings to the team other than experience. Any player could fill in and do his job.

Agree with this. The only argument for him seems to be a 'positional' thing, in that he's disciplined off the ball, holds his position, and protects the back four in a way our other 'box-to-box' midfielders don't. I suppose that's why managers like Pulis and Hughes have kept faith with him instead of buying a better midfielder.

Unfortunately, his supposed defensive strengths are really negligible, given that he seems to lack the athleticism to dominate that area or get tackles in when it's needed. He lost his man badly for Sweden's winner last year, so concentration is also an issue. His passing and vision are not up to scratch at this level, and he tends to go into hiding, rather than making space and demanding the ball. I would have Hendrick, Meyler, McCarthy, Gibson and Reid ahead of him, but for some reason I think O'Neill will go with him as a 'safe' option.

tricky_colour
26/08/2014, 2:49 AM
Lack of goals from midfield is a problem.

Gibson, Hendrick
Coleman, Reid, Brady/Pilkington
Long/Keane

If we are including players based on their goalscoring threat..

No player in my opinion encapsulates the malaise of the Ireland national team more than Glenn Whelan. I don't know what he brings to the team other than experience. Any player could fill in and do his job. For all the stereotypes about Hoolahan, he has shown more bite and energy when he has played in midfield.

I could not believe how lively Whelan was v Stoke before he got subbed, I am thinking about the bit where
he got a player sent off for bringing him down, I don't initially think it was Glenn because there we no sign of malaise
quite the opposite, he looked a real live wire.
OK it was only one incident but he looked like a player transformed, seemed to be plenty of bite and energy there.

Fixer82
26/08/2014, 11:39 PM
any video highlights of Stoke V Hull game?

Charlie Darwin
26/08/2014, 11:48 PM
any video highlights of Stoke V Hull game?
http://www.footytube.com/video/hull-city-stoke-city-aug24-291073

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2014, 3:14 PM
All being fit, team I'd like to see for the first qualifier:

Forde (Westwood is probably better but Forde the man in possession)
Coleman O'Shea Wilson Ward
McCarthy Hendrick Quinn
McGeady Long Reid

Gives us the freedom to change to 4-4-2 and bring on Robbie and/or Hoolahan in the second half as Reid will presumably tire.

ArdeeBhoy
27/08/2014, 4:38 PM
Why anyone want that tool Ward is beyond me. McShane or Kelly would make more sense FFS.
Plus a few players out of position in that last team.

zero
27/08/2014, 5:19 PM
i think robbie deserves a start, these (amongst others) are the kinds of games where he's made the difference in the past. is it possible to accomodate long, keane and hoolahan though? probably not, unless one of long/hoolahan plays wide.

i think we can only be certain of the following starters (fitness permitting): o'shea, coleman, mccarthy. you could make a case for every other position. i would guess that most of the team that starts the first half of the oman game will start in georgia..

mark12345
27/08/2014, 6:36 PM
All being fit, team I'd like to see for the first qualifier:

Forde (Westwood is probably better but Forde the man in possession)
Coleman O'Shea Wilson Ward
McCarthy Hendrick Quinn
McGeady Long Reid

What? No Hoolahan?
Essentially you are putting in a less than mediocre player in Ward and jettisoning Hoolahan.
I would prefer to play three at the back, dropping Ward and bringing in Hoolahan at the tip of the diamond with McCarthy at the other end of the diamond.
Would also start Keane instead of Long

Charlie Darwin
27/08/2014, 6:48 PM
I'm not essentially bringing in Ward for Hoolahan. I'm playing Reid in his place because I think he's better at playing football.

IsMiseSean
27/08/2014, 9:00 PM
Is the Oman game being shown live on TV? Not listed on my Sky guide.
Highlights on RTE at 10.25.