PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Oman 3rd September 2014 & Georgia 7th September 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Fixer82
03/09/2014, 7:44 PM
Gibson has impressed me with his passing, Pilkington has looked bright, Hoolahan his usual self.
Delighted to see Doyle get a goal and he's played well down channels.
Brady looks a bit rusty and Meyler...what an effort. Backs not really tested.

Quinn looks bright too but wouldn't fancy him against the likes of Germany and Poland, a bit lightweight perhaps

DannyInvincible
03/09/2014, 7:50 PM
Overall, it's hard to judge so far. Oman aren't up to much really.

He seems to be keeping all his frontline players wrapped up for Sunday. Of that side, I'd say only Given and Ward are likely to start that game. Maybe Brady too.

Can we read anything into the allocated squad numbers? If so, they'd perhaps indicate this is strictly our "second string". Besides Keogh at number 4, Meyler has the lowest squad number at number 12. Could Keogh possibly start with O'Shea in Georgia?

By the way, as the coverage went to the ad break at the end of the first half, the sprinklers came on on the pitch, but only in the right half of the field. Were we watering only the half we're playing into in the second half? Aren't there rules against that? Maybe just in competitive games...

jinxy lilywhite
03/09/2014, 8:02 PM
Don't think so. Our pitch our rules.

IsMiseSean
03/09/2014, 8:05 PM
Who's yer man sitting between MON & Roy?

geysir
03/09/2014, 8:12 PM
Glen Whelan's appearance is greeted with some degree of relief.
Gibson was a player who needed to be taken off just then.

TheOneWhoKnocks
03/09/2014, 8:18 PM
Fantastic ball by Whelan to be fair.

DeLorean
03/09/2014, 8:25 PM
What a flick by Keossi.

tricky_colour
03/09/2014, 8:26 PM
Nice footwork from Pearce, he should be on Strictly Come dancing,
he is nearly as good as Lionel (Blair not Messi).

Closed Account
03/09/2014, 8:37 PM
Team for Sunday looks like:
Given
Coleman
O'Shea
Wilson
Ward
McGeady
Whelan
McCarthy
Brady
Keane
Long

IsMiseSean
03/09/2014, 8:39 PM
If Given was going to start on Sunday surely he would have been given more game-time tonight?
I'm thinking Forde will get the nod...

zero
03/09/2014, 8:57 PM
missed the first 40 mins due to traffic/work/internet issues.

ok performance. meyler did well, bit disappointed he didn't get a go in the middle of the park. when we went to 3 at the back near the end it worked for 30 seconds then really didn't at all.

i thought robbie looked very sharp when he came on. still seems to have that burst of acceleration. has to feature on sunday, probably start. whelan also looked good.

hoolahan didnt do much from what i saw and gibson was understandably rusty. ward managed to look shaky without having anything to do.

Stuttgart88
03/09/2014, 9:10 PM
Can you hear Oman sing? No-o.

Stuttgart88
03/09/2014, 9:15 PM
I thought Gibson did fine. In credit to Keogh, he carries the ball out of defence quicker and with more attacking purpose than any of our established CBs. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe Whelan is not best suited to the deeper lying role and would be more effective a bit further forward?

Pilkington didn't catch my attention at all.

The 3 attacking subs made a difference and I feel that in a full tempo game all 3 would lift the performance to another. level.

Not much wrong with tonight, some bright spots but still no great answers to the important questions.

DannyInvincible
03/09/2014, 9:31 PM
Robbie looked very eager to add to his goal tally when he came on; dare I say, possibly bordering on greedy. He could have laid it off to Long on at least one occasion, I thought. Nevertheless, he still looked sharp and dangerous, and I'd rather he had an appetite to score than not.

Don't think so. Our pitch our rules.

Actually, I think you're right. Funnily enough, it was the Setanta Cup semi-final second-leg between Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers at Oriel Park last April, or the LOI's Watergate scandal, that I had in mind, although I was confused as to which way the rules went. Trevor Croly wasn't pleased with Dundalk's watering of only the Rovers half at half-time on that occasion, but it seems it's something Dundalk do regularly: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2014/0422/610286-cawley/

DannyInvincible
03/09/2014, 9:35 PM
Was the attendance given, by the way? Or did the FAI skip that announcement to save face?

Edit: Just saw it given as 14,376 (https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/507264790100987905).

TrapAPony
03/09/2014, 9:43 PM
Team for Sunday looks like:
Given
Coleman
O'Shea
Wilson
Ward
McGeady
Whelan
McCarthy
Brady
Keane
Long

Youre most likely correct but I would put Wilson at left back and Pearce centre half

tetsujin1979
03/09/2014, 10:38 PM
would have given MOTM to Gibson, except for the yellow card I thought he barely put a foot wrong.
anyone else see MON standing up to Tony O'Donoghue in the post match interview?

DannyInvincible
03/09/2014, 10:59 PM
Gibson passed the ball very well. Would have to agree.

It was a delightful dose of sarcasm after the wicked time Tony used to give poor Trap. Tony got his comeuppance.

backstothewall
03/09/2014, 11:16 PM
Just home from the game

I won't go into all the individual performances as the defenders had very little to do. After about an hour, I got fed up listening to my dad, who is always convinced the opposition are just about to score, and told him just to point out to me the next time an Oman player had the ball in our penalty area. I'm still waiting...

Gibson was very obviously the best player on the park. I thought it was an incredible performance, especially considering how long it has been since he had his boot on. He has to play against Georgia for me.

He was booked at almost exactly 70 mins. The guy he chopped down was throwing himself around all night. I would suspect it was arranged beforehand that he would be going off at 70mins, and he had just had enough of his antics and decided to leave one on him before he went off.

ifk101
04/09/2014, 6:08 AM
I thought Gibson was poor, looked off the pace, loose in this passing and his substitution didn't come a moment too soon. He lacks the match sharpness to start in Georgia.

nigel-harps1954
04/09/2014, 6:55 AM
Thought it was an incredibly dull game that will do no great favours going into qualifiers, other than adding a bit of morale to the camp with a win.

Couldn't say a word about the backline seeing as they'd nothing to do.

Quinn looks very shaky and nervous on the ball while Gibson was much more composed and comfortable in there. Absolute miles between the two in terms of quality, but Gibson isn't ready to be thrown in against Georgia. Would save him for Germany.

Brady is frustrating, can give the ball away so very cheaply at times, and then produce world class football we know he's capable of a minute later. Needs to be more consistent.

Pilkington may as well stayed at home, didn't look interested and barely touched the ball.

Didn't see enough of Hoolahan for my liking, and was delighted to see Doyle score.

There's not really an awful lot else to say about it really.

DeLorean
04/09/2014, 8:12 AM
I thought Gibson was poor, looked off the pace, loose in this passing and his substitution didn't come a moment too soon. He lacks the match sharpness to start in Georgia.

I thought he was okay, especially after the length he's been out, but find talk of man of the match and an incredible performance baffling. Meyler was a very deserving man of the match for me. Gibson used the ball sensibly when he got it, but spent long spells without it in a game where possession was pretty easy to come by.

geysir
04/09/2014, 10:08 AM
would have given MOTM to Gibson, except for the yellow card I thought he barely put a foot wrong.
Gibson just hit his brick wall then, he had allowed a player to glide past him as if he wasn't there, followed a minute later by an awful, yellow card late challenge. MON couldn't get him off fast enough.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2014, 11:42 AM
What was the general just of the TOD / MON exchange?

I loved Kinger's outburst. Many thought he should have kept his counsel but I like hotheads and I thought it showed passion.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/09/2014, 11:48 AM
I think King should have been servile. There is no need to snap at someone because you think you done a good job by losing 0-3 to an unmotivated Germany team.

This blase attitude when it comes to being tanked by big teams and not being able to challenge them has got to be knocked on the head.

I understand he was working with a group of players who were coached into believing they couldn't stand up to big teams but still......

Guarantee Scotland will give Germany a game on Sunday and show us up.

DeLorean
04/09/2014, 11:52 AM
I think King should have been servile. There is no need to snap at someone because you think you done a good job by losing 0-3 to an unmotivated Germany team.

Pretty sure King lost the rag after the Kazak game.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/09/2014, 11:55 AM
Pretty sure King lost the rag after the Kazak game.

Oh. Well the rage was clearly festering inside of him over the course of several days, as he clearly thought he deserved some special kudos (which he wasn't getting) for guiding us to a 0-3 loss that easily could have been 6 or 7 in different circumstances; it all came to a head after the Kazakhstan game, like a boil on debs night.

SwanVsDalton
04/09/2014, 11:59 AM

This blase attitude when it comes to being tanked by big teams and not being able to challenge them has got to be knocked on the head.

I understand he was working with a group of players who were coached into believing they couldn't stand up to big teams but still......

It's hardly 'blase' to lose the bap at a WUM giving you grief in a post-match interview. The opprobrium King got was totally unwarranted and his reaction showed our national broadcaster up for what they are - unrelenting whinge merchants. TOD got what he deserved.

DeLorean
04/09/2014, 12:05 PM
Oh. Well the rage was clearly festering inside of him over the course of several days, as he clearly thought he deserved some special kudos (which he wasn't getting) for guiding us to a 0-3 loss that easily could have been 6 or 7 in different circumstances; it all came to a head after the Kazakhstan game, like a boil on debs night.

I thought his interview after the German came was pathetic, gutted that they lost the third goal because it made it look so much worse! He didn't even make a substitution in case it would jeopardise his precious 0-2 scoreline. Think I enjoyed the interview after the Kazak game as I felt TOD had it coming. It reminded me of a vision you'd have of your last day at work, the things you could do or say without repercussions!

tetsujin1979
04/09/2014, 1:10 PM
What was the general just of the TOD / MON exchange?

I loved Kinger's outburst. Many thought he should have kept his counsel but I like hotheads and I thought it showed passion.
O'Donoghue questioned playing Gibson when he's had so little playing time over the last year. O'Neill responded that he had to see him play before the Georgia game to see how he was, then asked O'Donoghue when he had seen Gibson play
RTE usually put their post match interviews on their website, but I haven't seen it yet
The highlights of the game are on the RTE player here: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10320281/

the doc
04/09/2014, 1:16 PM
Right fellas, les put the Oman friendly to bed, and focus on the qualifier coming up.

I'd take a draw, let's be honest, despite the likes Keogh, Pearce and Wilson at the back, it would take a terrible run for us not to qualify for the next Euros.

DeLorean
04/09/2014, 1:20 PM
O'Donoghue questioned playing Gibson when he's had so little playing time over the last year.

So basically... why would you give game time to a guy who needs game time, and in a friendly of all games with your first choice midfielder out injured? What an idiot.

paul_oshea
04/09/2014, 1:28 PM
A Centre backs main job is to defend, it doesnt matter what he does with the ball at his feet and in possesion.

One thing struck me throughout the game, again the lack of urgency but it was summed up when we broke out of defence, Hoolahan played the ball diagonally across the oman opponent to gain the foul, rather than beat him and setup a counter attack. It completely broke a fluid move, and everyone seemed happy to just take the free and reshape and regroup. Trap insisted we didnt play this game and therefore he always wanted to play two speedy wingers to enable this quick counter attacking play - it work for a couple of years - but we havent been like that in about 3/4 years. I thought O'Neill would bring this sense of urgency and speed of thought on the counter, so far we havent shown any inclination for it. Its quite disappointing and frustrating.

Nothing to take from the game at all. Wouldnt be bothered about anyones performances, O'Neill gets too excited about friendly matches and results. One thing I liked was meyler in the right back position, not how he played - he was ok but lacks pace for that role - but it was from leftfield and its these sort of calls and ideas that mark a man out from the rest, and should justify MONs salary, if it pays off. We never once saw anything like that from trap. That's the only positive to take from the game.

jbyrne
04/09/2014, 1:28 PM
O'Donoghue questioned playing Gibson when he's had so little playing time over the last year. O'Neill responded that he had to see him play before the Georgia game to see how he was, then asked O'Donoghue when he had seen Gibson play
RTE usually put their post match interviews on their website, but I haven't seen it yet
The highlights of the game are on the RTE player here: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10320281/

rtes downbeat, nit-picking tone of post match interviews is growing a bit tiresome and borderline pathetic. of course they should ask difficult questions but TOD just seems intent on going down a line of questioning that satisfys the armchair punter who couldn't be bothered attending the matches and loves the negativity surrounding the team

ifk101
04/09/2014, 1:33 PM
I'd take a draw, let's be honest, despite the likes Keogh, Pearce and Wilson at the back, it would take a terrible run for us not to qualify for the next Euros.

There you have it folks, St Ledger is finished. 3 teams are currently ranked higher than us in our qualification group so yeah you're right (about St Ledger). We're capable of finishing in the top 3 but to do so we can't afford to drop points against Georgia or Gibraltar. The total points accumulated against these teams are likely to separate us, Poland and Scotland come the end of the qualification series.

TheOneWhoKnocks
04/09/2014, 1:40 PM
So is it a straight shoot out between Brady and Pilkington for the other wing role, or will Walters recover for the important game and deputise in that role again?

Or could O'Neill find a way to get Doyle in the team with Long and Keane? He put in a decent shift out wide again, put in a few decent crosses; could also have him up front for his threat from set pieces.

I don't think it's necessarily there for Brady or Pilkington. I wouldn't be surprised to see Walters get the nod, however counter-intuitive it may be. He is just too cumbersome and slows things down, and his lack of prowess in the air and ineffectiveness at crossing are other minus points.

ifk101
04/09/2014, 1:56 PM
Brady to start, simply for his dead ball deliveries. Don't have the statistics for it, sure somebody has the time to research this, but suspect a high percentage of the goals we scored under Trapattoni were either via a set-play or Robbie Keane. Surely MON has done his homework - set-plays and/ or Keane equals goals and goals win games. The concern with Brady in the team is the strength of our left flank with Ward likely to start at LB. So maybe MON might go for a "workhorse" instead of Brady but hope he's more positive in his team selection.

tetsujin1979
04/09/2014, 2:08 PM
I think away from home, a workhorse might be preferred

SwanVsDalton
04/09/2014, 2:14 PM
I think he'll plump for Brady or Doyle. Has Walters really appeared wide under O'Neill? I thought that was Trap era touch consigned to the bin.

If there's another outsider for the role, it could be Stephen Quinn. He could offer Ward a bit more protection and he can play a bit. Would be an unadventurous selection, but away from home MON might want to keep it tight and then unload the bench.

DeLorean
04/09/2014, 2:16 PM
I'd go with:

------------Westwood----------

Coleman - O'Shea - Wilson - Ward

------ McCarthy - Meyler ---------

--Hoolahan ---McGeady----Brady--

-------------Keane---------------

No way will he be that attack minded in terms of the three behind Keane though.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2014, 2:58 PM
I think he'll go 442, we'll see little of the ball and only then will he bring on Hoolahan.

I do like the look of DeLorean's team though it's too positive for O'Neill I reckon. I think one of Quinn or Pilkington will be in there for a bit of bite.

Whelan will be picked over Meyler I reckon. Fair play to Meyler last night. I think he won a lot of plaudits both for his performance and his attitude.

tetsujin1979
04/09/2014, 4:28 PM
interview with O'Donoghue on rte.ie now: http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/813/

Charlie Darwin
04/09/2014, 4:58 PM
By the way, as the coverage went to the ad break at the end of the first half, the sprinklers came on on the pitch, but only in the right half of the field. Were we watering only the half we're playing into in the second half? Aren't there rules against that? Maybe just in competitive games...
If it's anything like Tallaght, they spray one half of the pitch for a few minutes and then the other. It makes sense if you have sprinklers around the half way line.

Razors left peg
04/09/2014, 5:45 PM
I missed the game yesterday because I was working. The funniest thing Ive seen on here regarding the reaction to the match is the rating of Gibson. Some people saying he was brilliant and some that he was terrible. Would it be the case that he looked bad on tv but live you could see him do more?

DannyInvincible
04/09/2014, 6:14 PM
I missed the game yesterday because I was working. The funniest thing Ive seen on here regarding the reaction to the match is the rating of Gibson. Some people saying he was brilliant and some that he was terrible. Would it be the case that he looked bad on tv but live you could see him do more?

He was good from far, but far from good?

back of the net
04/09/2014, 6:34 PM
interview with O'Donoghue on rte.ie now: http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/813/

O'Donoghue is such a bloody incompetent interviewer , its frightening.

A few words from Roy on Georgia below

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/roy-keanes-got-georgia-on-his-mind

OwlsFan
04/09/2014, 6:55 PM
Interesting interviews. O'Neil was a bit tetchy with O'Donoghue who I will hope continues to ask the hard questions like he did under the Trap era.

Dunphy: has already started the criticism with words like "baffled" and then talks up the players, says he has complete confidence in O'Neill: we all know what comes next.

back of the net
04/09/2014, 7:08 PM
Interesting interviews. O'Neil was a bit tetchy with O'Donoghue who I will hope continues to ask the hard questions like he did under the Trap era.

There was nothing hard about the questions Tony asked Trap.....O'Donoghue was an embarrasment with his interview technique towards him. His questions were stupid and were asked so Tony could be controversial....nothing more.

O'Neill was definitely tetchy towards him and who could blame him.....T.O.D is a joke of an interviewer who shouldnt be let near a microphone

Predator
04/09/2014, 10:42 PM
By the way, as the coverage went to the ad break at the end of the first half, the sprinklers came on on the pitch, but only in the right half of the field. Were we watering only the half we're playing into in the second half? Aren't there rules against that? Maybe just in competitive games...They watered both sides of the pitch, I believe.

Charlie Darwin
05/09/2014, 12:37 PM
Westwood and Stokes cut for the trip to Georgia. Westwood is ill, no reason given for Stokes' absence but he played no part on Wednesday.