PDA

View Full Version : Plastic pitches for Champions League

joeSoap
08/11/2004, 1:34 PM
I read an interview over the weekend where Wenger was bemoaning the fact that Arsenal might be playing some of their games in the champions league on plastic pitches next season....whats that all about?

Macy
08/11/2004, 2:32 PM
UEFA are debating, and look likely to pass, a motion that will allow plastic pitches to be used in European competition. The English FA say they will also allow them again if the motion is passed.

Personally I'd prefer all pitches to be grass, however can see the benefits for clubs if they go that way. No need for a seperate training pitch, no weather problems and considering the state of some of the "grass" pitches it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

What Luton and QPR would make of it after having to pull up their plastic is a different matter...

As for the eL, I can see the benefits - no need for seperate training facilities (no danger of the grass being worn out), potential revenue from hiring them out at none training days, no danger of postponements....

max power
08/11/2004, 3:02 PM
we now train on a plastic pitch in dublin, the lads have said its great and the chances of injury compared to turning on grass is dramaticly reduced, personally i rather grass.

Macy
08/11/2004, 3:12 PM
we now train on a plastic pitch in dublin, the lads have said its great and the chances of injury compared to turning on grass is dramaticly reduced, personally i rather grass.
Me too, however all the teams could them play at Flancare, and Luton and QPR used to have great home records* on their pitches, and I think Dumfermline do too.

*as an aside, except for against United who, surprisingly (given it wasn't that long ago) were one of the few teams that had access to a plastic pitch.

drinkfeckarse
08/11/2004, 3:28 PM
Hate that idea, what are they trying to do to our game :mad:

Living here in Scotland, I can assure you that no one has a good word to say about Dunfermline's plastic pitch.