PDA

View Full Version : Lansdowne protest - summary

Pages : [1] 2 3

pineapple stu
08/11/2004, 1:05 PM
Are we going to go ahead with this? If so, here's a summary of what we have suggested so far -

CHANTS
Boo Milo Corcoran when he’s introduced to the teams
“Milo Corcoran, you’re a w@nker, you’re a w@nker”
“John Delaney, you’re a w@nker, you’re a w@nker”
“Milo Milo Milo OUT OUT OUT”
“If you hate John Delaney clap your hands”

Just a few ideas - if you reckon you won't remember all that, print it out and bring it to the game!

BANNERS
Financially Above Inspection
Delaney Out, Corcoran Out
FAI – Fatcats Are Incompetent
Delaney/Corcoran, we’ve had enough
Delaney/Corcoran, you’re having a laugh

Who's going to do these up? I'll do up a couple if I get the time - who else will be able to get a banner to the game? Nothing sophisticated is needed really - random sheet and paint is all... This won't get anywhere if everybody leaves to everybody else to do the work!!!

OTHER
Red cards: Think this was onenilgameover's idea - are you going to the game? Can you get a ream of red A4?
Supporters' Club: Should we try and get a North Terrace Supporters' Club going? Get a couple of representatives from every eL Supporters' Club in the country...get them all to pay a membership fee to put towards a fund for more flags, banners, etc. Does anyone have a list of the Supporters' Clubs in Ireland? Or anyone any ideas on how this would run best?

MEETING POINT
Murray's from 6:30 say (not the game is on Tuesday, as far as I know). Will need to be inside the ground from 7:00 I'd say - terracing fills up quick enough, and we need to get a group of us behind the goal so the banners will be seen and the songs will be picked up by the mic. Will try and get a couple of the lads in UCD jerseys there as a meeting point. Inside the ground, obviously, head behind the goal and as far down the terrace as you can.

MEETING AT MURRAY'S...
Pineapple Stu...

Any other ideas - post them and I'll keep this thread updated as we go (away down the country working until Friday, so won't be able to update before then, in case yez're wondering!)

Any chance of getting this sticky-ed?

exile
08/11/2004, 1:58 PM
good stuff stu can we get list of people who are going to be there in murrays

pineapple stu
08/11/2004, 2:06 PM
good stuff stu can we get list of people who are going to be there in murrays

Good idea - added now. Are you putting yourself on that list?

thejollyrodger
08/11/2004, 2:15 PM
great summary ! it all sounds excellent :)

gustavo
08/11/2004, 2:47 PM
Do ye think this should be in "for fans" or here ?

exile
08/11/2004, 4:02 PM
Good idea - added now. Are you putting yourself on that list?
yep il be there im going to put a post on the official ccfc site too

exile
08/11/2004, 4:08 PM
i know this sounds a little bit militant but we could block some traffic and threaten to do so at every home match till we see some improvemnt in the fai

cullenswood
08/11/2004, 4:21 PM
i know this sounds a little bit militant but we could block some traffic and threaten to do so at every home match till we see some improvemnt in the fai

Nah, that just p1sses off motorists who a) might agree with us but won't after being delayed going home in the evening or b) couldn't give a sh1te either way

Slash/ED
08/11/2004, 5:48 PM
I'll be in one of the stands (I'm after forgetting which one :D East I think) I'll sing along with all of your chants and see if I can get them to spread, we shouldn't just limit this to the Terrace. I doubt I'll be able to make the meet up though.

For another chant how about a good ol' Sack The Board?

Slash/ED
08/11/2004, 5:49 PM
b) couldn't give a sh1te either way

You'll be able to tell which ones they are, they'll be the ones in the FAI blazers :rolleyes: :D

4tothefloor
08/11/2004, 5:57 PM
Where is Murray's? I always drink in the Lansdowne House, or Jurys. Is Murray's the pub on your way to the north terrace?

eirebhoy
08/11/2004, 7:19 PM
Where is Murray's? I always drink in the Lansdowne House, or Jurys. Is Murray's the pub on your way to the north terrace?
Its just down about 300m from the Lansdowne bar towards the housing estates. Its on the same side of the road and pretty big so can't be missed.

Robinski
10/11/2004, 9:13 AM
What are the numbers like for this? It won't work with only 15 - 20 people. We need the whole North Tce holding the red cards.

Anyone organised these yet? I can if no-one else has.

shankilwanderer
10/11/2004, 9:44 AM
Well if only a few start then it hopefully will catch. I will be there in my Bray Jersey with a few others anyway.

Mad Moose
10/11/2004, 12:03 PM
Have to say I was delighted to see this thread. The fact is the FAI have destroyed the domestic game and continue to rip off everybody who gives so much to the game here.This protest is valid and is indeed a necessity. It seems to be case they laugh in our faces and there has been but a very limited reaction to current activity. Giving this is a friendly there will be no huge disruption and it will send the clear and necessary message to them. Think the red card idea is fantastic but this needs a huge uptake to work. Its time to send the definitive message to the FAI who have survived far to long.

Brendan

onenilgameover
11/11/2004, 1:44 AM
Robinski What are the numbers like for this? It won't work with only 15 - 20 people. We need the whole North Tce holding the red cards.

Anyone organised these yet? I can if no-one else has.

Thats great news Robinski...No one has organised the red cards yet and it would be great if you could get your hand on some. What can you offer? We need as many as we can get. Red A4 paper would be perfect. Would you be able to print on the back of them too that would be perfect. We could have a minute where we hold up the cards and boo at the start of the match. Directions could be written on the back of the cards saying 'if you believe the FAI are not doing a good enough match hold up these red cards and boo.......' When do you reckon the best time to boo would be......when Milo Corcoran comes on to shake players hands? Whats the best time to do this? Anyone got any ideas...I reckon if there is enough people hold ing up these cards it would look fantastic. We can alert the media if this works out and make this into a really big deal. We still need people to volunteer to hand these out. All it would take would be half an hour before the game and then you could watch the match knowing that your voice has been heard.

Even 1000 sheets of A4 paper would get 4000 redcards but we need as many as possible. I'm goona be in the north terrace as per usaul so I reckon we should focus on there.

Those people who have been bad mouthing the FAI need to stand up now we can make this protest work really well or not all and just go on moaning for years to come and do nothing about it.

onenilgameover
11/11/2004, 1:48 AM
I'ill be at Murray's too....Who else?

Robinski
11/11/2004, 9:12 AM
Here's what I can offer:

1,000 sheets of red A4, however I think cut into A5 would be better, anything smaller might not work on getting peoples attention.

Yes, I can print on the back of them If you believe the FAI are not doing a good enough job for Irish football, hold up these red cards and boo when the FAI greet the teams - anyone got anything better than that, by all means let me know but I need to know by Saturday, that is when I'll be pulling all this together.

Personally I think it would be best to hand them out on the North Tce, let them know that it's the real fans that aren't happy.

Anyone agree/disagree, come on board. We need volunteers to hand these out.

exile
11/11/2004, 12:21 PM
il give ya dig out send me a pm great idea

Stuttgart88
11/11/2004, 12:27 PM
Personally I think it would be best to hand them out on the North Tce, let them know that it's the real fans that aren't happy.

Ah, not this one again. Can't you be a real fan in the West Lower, or wherever the FAI decide, at their leisure, to relocate lifelong attendees?

pegan
11/11/2004, 12:34 PM
Id be interested in helping out as well - I do have access to a photocopier and a 500 page ream of red paper - will that do - also Im in the east stand and would appreciate if there was some one to help me with that section!
pm me :confused:

Robinski
11/11/2004, 2:46 PM
Ah, not this one again. Can't you be a real fan in the West Lower, or wherever the FAI decide, at their leisure, to relocate lifelong attendees?

No offence intended, I just meant that that is where the majority of us will be for the match.

Stuttgart88
11/11/2004, 2:53 PM
No probs! Let's hope this protest is visible / audible and rams the point home.

Robinski
11/11/2004, 3:40 PM
OK, now it's official. Delaney nicely appointed himself CEO. This news sickens me.

They're so c*cky they've even gone against the governments wishes.

Can we please have numbers for Tuesday, this protest is even more important now.

exile
11/11/2004, 4:33 PM
robinski
exile..........

soylent green
11/11/2004, 4:38 PM
from www.ireland.com

Delaney offered chief executive position

11/11/2004: John Delaney is set to be appointed as the new chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland after the organisation's council offered him the position on an interim basis this afternoon.

The current treasurer has requested some time to discuss the offer with his current employers but is expected to take up the position in the coming days.

The FAI's decision is at odds with the Minister for Sport, John O'Donoghue, who favoured the job being filled by open competition. The implications on the current impasse over Government funding remain to be seen.

Delaney's imminent appointment follows the departure from Merrion Square last week of Fran Rooney just 18 months into the job.

onenilgameover
11/11/2004, 7:55 PM
As said before I'm in too....we still need people to hand out these red cards....we have a load for the North Ter and East Stand now so things seem to progressing...also...we still need someone to come up with something to write on the back of the cards stating the reason for the protest and when to boo...Any Ideas?

Delaney is taking his time on deciding whether he wants to be the next CEO...Its a complete joke in there...

onenilgameover
11/11/2004, 8:04 PM
I reckon we should focus on the north terrace too...There should be alot of interest there...If we get enough red cards we should hand them out at all entrances we have already got a load for the north and and East. Can anyone else offer us anything or maybe just to hand them out....I am goin to alert the media on Monday...I can probably get on Off the Ball and tell em whats happening. I have a mate who reads the news in 98fm (crap station) so thats a cert. Sky Sports love a bit of scandal so they might be interested....We need to get this thing is motion....Who is gonna make banners etc?

onenilgameover
11/11/2004, 8:06 PM
Where already in the sun! This stuff is easy!

eirebhoy
11/11/2004, 8:10 PM
I am goin to alert the media on Monday
With the match on Tuesday you should give a bit more notice so tomorrow would be better if you have the time of course.

onenilgameover
11/11/2004, 8:28 PM
Fair point I'ill start emailing now and let yis all know how its gettin on....

onceahoop
11/11/2004, 9:23 PM
I reckon we should focus on the north terrace too...There should be alot of interest there...If we get enough red cards we should hand them out at all entrances we have already got a load for the north and and East. Can anyone else offer us anything or maybe just to hand them out....I am goin to alert the media on Monday...I can probably get on Off the Ball and tell em whats happening. I have a mate who reads the news in 98fm (crap station) so thats a cert. Sky Sports love a bit of scandal so they might be interested....We need to get this thing is motion....Who is gonna make banners etc?

A pal of mine is a photographer with the Star. I'll contact him.
Maybe we should inundate Sky Sports " Your on Sky Sports"

onenilgameover
12/11/2004, 3:43 AM
Right...Sky sports, TV3, Off the Ball...Newstalk106, 98fm, Today fm, Fm 104, The Sun (who knew already!), The Star, The Herald (sorry crap paper but had to be done) www.soccercentral.ie, www.thepeoplesflag.com have all recieved emails and are aware of the protest. Am working nights at the mo so won't get their response till tomorow evening.

Donal81
12/11/2004, 7:52 AM
Relations worsen between FAI and Minister
12/11/2004

Relations between the FAI and the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, Mr O'Donoghue, were on the verge of collapse last night when the association offered Mr John Delaney the post of chief executive on an "interim" basis, writes Emmet Malone.

The association failed to provide an assurance that it would, as the Minister had requested, advertise that post and that of financial director before the end of the year.

The decision to offer the job to Mr Delaney, who is expected to accept it over the coming week, was made by a meeting of the association's 60-strong national council where no specific time-frame for finding a long-term successor to Mr Fran Rooney was agreed.

In a brief statement, the association said it would "engage" with the Government on all matters relating to the appointment.

However a Department spokesman said last night there was "neither a need nor a desire for further engagement" with the association until a commitment to advertise the two posts during the coming weeks had been received.

He went on to make it clear that as the Minister was responsible for policy matters at the Sports Council, that organisation would not be meeting the FAI either until the required assurances had been provided.

The Sports Council provides some €2 million in funding to the association annually, and the two organisations were scheduled to meet next Tuesday. The association's position was not helped immediately after the council meeting by its president, Mr Milo Corcoran, who, when asked if the organisation planned to advertise the vacancies before Christmas said: "No, it's not in the plans."

A clarification was subsequently issued by the association to the effect that the matter would be discussed with the Government before any decision was taken.

© The Irish Times

Jesus lads, I'm in. What's the plan?

Dotsy
12/11/2004, 8:05 AM
O' Donoghue was on Morning Ireland this morning. he said he was not gouing to agree to Corcoran's suggestion for a meeting with him in the next couple of weesk becuase he maintains that FAI are fully aware of the Government's views and the timetable they want the FAI to adhere to for advertising the job. He also said that yestredays decision by the FAI definteley puts a question mark over the governments funding for the FAI. Lets hope he stands his ground or these jokers will get away with it again. It's obvious they don't give a fcuk about football and the fans and are only interested in their own little power games. They have to be stopped once and for all.

Robinski
12/11/2004, 9:08 AM
I hope to God the minister sticks to his guns on this one. I might just email him applauding his decision to withhold funding as a result of the appointment of Delaney.

Dotsy
12/11/2004, 9:29 AM
I hope to God the minister sticks to his guns on this one. I might just email him applauding his decision to withhold funding as a result of the appointment of Delaney.

Excellent idea. I'm going to send one myself. IT would be great if other did the same.

Eirenua
12/11/2004, 11:19 AM
Anyone know the ministers e-mail. If he knows he has got the fans support he might really put the boot it. They love the opportunity to be champion of the people.

Lets give him the support to go to town on the FAI muppets

carricksmasher
12/11/2004, 12:24 PM
Just been on the goverment website and the closest they have to his address is the generic department one which is webmaster@dast.gov.ie

Not ideal but better than nothing

Eirenua
12/11/2004, 1:07 PM
I have sent a mail off marked for his attention. Who knows if he will read it. But if significant volumes of mail hit his department at least he will realise the support for his stance. lets use him thats what he is there for

Bondvillain
12/11/2004, 1:31 PM
Sadly it appears that the celtic tiger, technologically savvy as it is, has neglected to give the Minster for sport an E-mail address. This is what we're up against!

you could always go here (http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/Customer%20Charter/feedbackform.htm) and let him know that we have F.A.I. Internal-thievery concerns, and would like the opportunity to voice them thru email. (Ironically, you have the option to recieve your reply from this feedback service via email).

thejollyrodger
12/11/2004, 2:23 PM
can someone upload a template for an email to the minister for sport and his email address.

I think it would be a good idea to send the letter and the ministers email address to all your friends (tell them 2 forward it on + send email to minister). Basically saying well done and I hope you stick to your guns, sick and tired of the FAI etc.

If the minster got a few hundred even thousand emails he wont back down :D

Dotsy
12/11/2004, 2:44 PM
THere is a template for sending emails to him on the Fianna Fail website. I can't seem to link the page for some reason. Try as follows;

www.fiannafail.ie
Click "people" Tab at top of page
Click "Kerry South"
Click "John O'Donoghue"
Click "Email"

A message template appears.

I wrote that I was a long term football fan, disgusted with the carry on at the FAI and that I supported and appreciated his stance and not to give in to them. Finished by saying keep up the good work.

Donal81
12/11/2004, 2:48 PM
Alternatively (I've worked in that area before and am cynical as to how often such emails are checked, wouldn't hurt to email both of them), you can email webmaster@dast.gov.ie. According to www.irlgov.ie, it's the contact email address of the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism.

Robinski
12/11/2004, 3:06 PM
THere is a template for sending emails to him on the Fianna Fail website. I can't seem to link the page for some reason. Try as follows;

www.fiannafail.ie
Click "Kerry South"
Click "John O'Donoghue"
Click "Email"

I wrote that I was a long term football fan, disgusted with the carry on at the FAI and that I supported and appreciated his stance and not to give in to them. Finished by saying keep up the good work.

Cheers, just finished my email to him.

eirebhoy
12/11/2004, 4:48 PM
Right...Sky sports, TV3, Off the Ball...Newstalk106, 98fm, Today fm, Fm 104, The Sun (who knew already!), The Star, The Herald (sorry crap paper but had to be done) www.soccercentral.ie, www.thepeoplesflag.com have all recieved emails and are aware of the protest. Am working nights at the mo so won't get their response till tomorow evening.
Fair Play! TV3 mentioned it on their Sports Bulletin just there. It will be repeated in an hour. :)

thejollyrodger
12/11/2004, 4:48 PM
TV 3 have just done a clip on the protest ireland soccer supporters are going to make next tuesday on landsdowne road. They said the supporters are borrowing from Fran Rooneys idea of green cards of support to red ones to show what they think of the FAI !!

looks like this is gaining momemtum

Bondvillain
12/11/2004, 4:50 PM

www.fiannafail.ie
Click "Kerry South"
Click "John O'Donoghue"
Click "Email"

Complaint sent. Feel better now.
Good work dotsy, more research done than me. :D

Bondvillain
12/11/2004, 4:51 PM
TV 3 have just done a clip on the protest ireland soccer supporters are going to make next tuesday on landsdowne road. They said the supporters are borrowing from Fran Rooneys idea of green cards of support to red ones to show what they think of the FAI !!

looks like this is gaining momemtum

Is there a network in place for red card distribution yet?

thejollyrodger
12/11/2004, 4:53 PM
I dont know of any, but TV3 think there is cos they did a 1 min clip on it