PDA

View Full Version : Finn Harps on Saturday

Pages : [1] 2

Darklordsbane
06/08/2014, 6:02 AM
Just noticed Finn harps only lost once in the last 12 games, very late goal from Glen O Connor, very tough match coming up on Saturday, No Pat Sullivan either, I'd take a draw at this stage 7/2 with Boylesports

nigel-harps1954
06/08/2014, 7:07 AM
A smart man puts a draw on Harps every time. We're the most frustrating team in world football to support.

De Town
06/08/2014, 9:02 AM
Why would you take a draw against a crowd of hatchet men who are ****e at football? Not saying we're going to win, but we should beat them, Pat Sullivan or no Pat Sullivan. Will no doubt be a tough game because Harps always are tough to play against, but hopefully another 3 points on the way for us.

Cabs88
06/08/2014, 9:50 AM
Just noticed Finn harps only lost once in the last 12 games, very late goal from Glen O Connor, very tough match coming up on Saturday, No Pat Sullivan either, I'd take a draw at this stage 7/2 with Boylesports

Won't be an easy game, never is against harps but from here on out we should be looking to win every game at home and not settle for a draw.

Darklordsbane
06/08/2014, 10:08 AM
Totally agree we should be looking for a win but I don't think we will get it, I will be more than happy to lose a few € if we win

outspoken
06/08/2014, 8:47 PM
First game in months that I have a genuine bad feeling about simply becuase harps are a bunch of hackers that will kick and kick and kick until something goes there way so what we need to do is keep a good shape, keep our composure and whits about us and just try to play our own game and hope when a chance comes we take it. Going for a 1-0 town win. Next 3 weeks decide the title for me. C'mon de town

Mr A
06/08/2014, 9:49 PM
0-0 draw and 11 serious injuries to the Longford team written all over it.

The last of those to take place in the 60th minutes but Harps to focus on beating up the remaining players rather than scoring.

harpstilidie
07/08/2014, 11:52 AM
First game in months that I have a genuine bad feeling about simply becuase harps are a bunch of hackers that will kick and kick and kick until something goes there way so what we need to do is keep a good shape, keep our composure and whits about us and just try to play our own game and hope when a chance comes we take it. Going for a 1-0 town win. Next 3 weeks decide the title for me. C'mon de town

Hackers? Are you basing that assumption on the amount of red cards we have received this season? Some terrible refereeing decisions and some heat of the moment stuff but we are not hackers. In the 2 games we have played against yous this season we have had 1 yellow card in each game!

outspoken
07/08/2014, 12:37 PM
Hackers? Are you basing that assumption on the amount of red cards we have received this season? Some terrible refereeing decisions and some heat of the moment stuff but we are not hackers. In the 2 games we have played against yous this season we have had 1 yellow card in each game!

I'm basing it on every game I've ever seen us play against harps like it or not ye are a bunch of hatchet men and the fact ye have so many red cards this season proves it, referee can't have got them all wrong.

Acornvilla
07/08/2014, 12:50 PM
Ah now. Its the 1st division, he probably did get them all wrong.

harpstilidie
07/08/2014, 1:11 PM
I'm basing it on every game I've ever seen us play against harps like it or not ye are a bunch of hatchet men and the fact ye have so many red cards this season proves it, referee can't have got them all wrong.

There was maybe only 3 of those cards that were down to poor tackles. The others were poor refereeing decisions and dissent. I think you are being very harsh on Harps.

nigel-harps1954
07/08/2014, 1:44 PM
This looks like a fun conversation. I'm looking forward to the game. Wonder do any of the bookies take bets on broken legs?

Acornvilla
07/08/2014, 3:24 PM
This looks like a fun conversation. I'm looking forward to the game. Wonder do any of the bookies take bets on broken legs?
Thems fightin words!

outspoken
07/08/2014, 7:03 PM
9 red cards is it? And your telling us 6 of them were down to bad refereeing? I know this is the LOI but pull the other one pal. Ask any player in the league theyl tell ya harps and youths are the two biggest hatchet teams in the league

Darklordsbane
07/08/2014, 7:47 PM
Good man Outspoken stir up the opposition why don't ye

nigel-harps1954
08/08/2014, 12:37 AM
10 red cards if you include the sending off for the manager. Don't worry, I'm sure we can get a few more yet.

Town Legend
08/08/2014, 1:24 AM
If the referee is doing is job right Sat night he'll have sent off 2 or 3 Harps players in the tunnel before the game!

nigel-harps1954
08/08/2014, 1:55 AM
If the referee is doing is job right Sat night he'll have sent off 2 or 3 Harps players in the tunnel before the game!

For kicking the referee. We're nothing but a bunch of hackers, of course. The players even kick each other on the bus journeys to the matches.

Mr A
08/08/2014, 8:46 AM

And if the Harps players do their job right several of your squad will be in intensive care.

Then they'll drown some particularly cute kittens.

Town Legend
08/08/2014, 10:44 AM
And if the Harps players do their job right several of your squad will be in intensive care.

Then they'll drown some particularly cute kittens.

Not before kicking the kittens of course.....they have to live up to their reputation as out and out hackers! If this is what the Harps fans have been looking at all year I worry that they too will hack their way into the ground tomorrow. I think I might stay at home just to be safe!

harpstilidie
08/08/2014, 11:23 AM
Ha, yous Longford boys are good craic!

nigel-harps1954
08/08/2014, 12:34 PM
Not before kicking the kittens of course.....they have to live up to their reputation as out and out hackers! If this is what the Harps fans have been looking at all year I worry that they too will hack their way into the ground tomorrow. I think I might stay at home just to be safe!

Why break the habit of a lifetime, Longford seem to enjoy low attendances, you may as well stay at home lest those big bad northerners get a hold of you.

Mr A
08/08/2014, 1:11 PM
Ollie Horgan ahead of the game: "Longford will be a savage battle for us."

YEOOOOO.

http://donegalnews.com/2014/08/ollie-horgan-insists-finn-harps-wont-throw-in-the-towel/

Macy
08/08/2014, 1:39 PM
Why break the habit of a lifetime, Longford seem to enjoy low attendances, you may as well stay at home lest those big bad northerners get a hold of you.
Don't worry, we'll be ready for your firm. Again.

De Town
08/08/2014, 3:10 PM
Ollie Horgan ahead of the game: "Longford will be a savage battle for us."

YEOOOOO.

http://donegalnews.com/2014/08/ollie-horgan-insists-finn-harps-wont-throw-in-the-towel/

“If we were to finish ahead of Wexford it would be an unbelievable achievement,” Horgan said.

An unbelievable achievement to finish ahead of Wexford? Seriously?

Acornvilla
08/08/2014, 8:40 PM
“If we were to finish ahead of Wexford it would be an unbelievable achievement,” Horgan said.

An unbelievable achievement to finish ahead of Wexford? Seriously?
Well, they're 3rd now, as long as they beat Galway ofc ^^

nigel-harps1954
08/08/2014, 9:47 PM
I'd certainly take a third placed finish and call it unbelievable.

Acornvilla
09/08/2014, 9:21 AM
At nothing tomorrow, so decided to head to this match tonight, tis a bit of a trek from Limerick so make it worth my while lads :P

Might go over to Section O and take some pics. I'll fight you outside after the game Nidge

nigel-harps1954
09/08/2014, 1:01 PM
http://wearethewall.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/fisticuffs.jpg

Mr A
09/08/2014, 8:30 PM
0-0 draw and 11 serious injuries to the Longford team written all over it.

The last of those to take place in the 60th minutes but Harps to focus on beating up the remaining players rather than scoring.

Called it. Apart from the injuries.

outspoken
09/08/2014, 9:41 PM
Called it. Apart from the injuries.

Although McCaron tried his best to change that

nigel-harps1954
10/08/2014, 12:07 AM
http://www.elle.com/cm/elle/images/3r/Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

cheifo
10/08/2014, 1:24 AM
How did we all miss that @9/2!!

Town Legend
10/08/2014, 11:24 AM
Although we were the better side a draw was a fair result. Neither side looked like scoring.

Mister X
10/08/2014, 1:05 PM
had you offered me us being 4 points clear going into the last 7 games at the start of the season i would have taken it. next two games are going to decide it

Darklordsbane
10/08/2014, 2:04 PM
Great position to be in 4 points clear 7 games left, it not the next 2 games that worries me everyone will be up for those 2 games it's the so called easy matches that could catch us out,
I think it will go to the wire, we will drop more points, Cousin will panic and go for so called experience over form or ability, I can see us needing a result in Ballybofey I really hope we don't need a result up there, it doesnt matter if we draw with Shelbourne and Galway provided we win the other games but the last few performances wouldn't fill me with confidence,
I thought last night we played brilliant football for about 8 minutes of the 1st half and 6 minutes of the 2nd half it was one of those games where we were never going to score, Cousin should have had subs on earlier, Rice and Salmon are getting run ragged in midfield, this selection of 442 isn't doing it for me, I believe we need either of our best passers O' Connor or Gorman back in a 3 man midfield, this stops the opposition playing and will allow us have a playmaker again
no doubt I will be disagreed with but that's my tuppence worth

Town Legend
10/08/2014, 2:42 PM
No I agree with you on the midfield or part of it. I thought myself that Rice and Salmon were all over the shop at times in the midfield and we're spread apart too much. Far too often for my liking centre mid was wide open for Harps players to run through. If we were playing a better side they would surely of had one or two scored from the openness of the midfield. Hynes and Shannon should definitely of been brought on with 25 mins left instead of 10 as our tactics up to then weren't working and was clear to see. Only when Hynes and Shannon came on we created quite a few half chances....but that's all they were. On to next week and hopefully keep the push on. Not overly disappointed with a point last week but will need the 3 next week I feel.

outspoken
10/08/2014, 6:48 PM
Haven't left CCS feeling that disappointed in a long time. I thought it was a good performance from the lads (more so 2nd half again) and the ball simply wouldn't go in the net. Sully missed 2 great chances first half and one good one in the 2nd but I'd totally agree with the lads that the changes came far too late and we looked flat up until Shannon and Hynes came on. I've always agreed too with the fact that a 3 man midfield would suit us more but with Rhys having to play centre half last night that wasn't really an option becuase while Shannon made a good impact there's no way TC could have dropped O'Connor who was brilliant again last night so it's really a case of if it's not broke don't fix it and you can't blame TC for that.

I said all week long this was the game I was worried about and not next week as I feel we will comfortably beat galway 3 or 4-0. The are bang out of form. On a side note, after last nights results I think we should forget about the rovers game in the cup and field a fringe team for that one and just concentrate on the league from here on in. We still have the LSC final to play and it's at a better time for us as we will have the so called easier teams to play against so I'd sacrifice a beating from rovers for league and potential LSC success.

cheifo
10/08/2014, 7:24 PM
Think due to disappointments in recent years you are being a little hard on yourselves! There is a bit more savvy about Longford this time around and nine wins in a row before tonight would indicate that. Would you not agree Harps were well organised and defended brilliantly last night?
I expect you to have the league in the bag by the time you come up to ballybofey where you will all be made very welcome in your hundreds to celebrate!

nigel-harps1954
10/08/2014, 8:37 PM
I think a few are being harsh on Harps indeed. Don't forget, Harps could well have nicked that game. Sean McCarron scuffed a good chance one on one with Hunt and Mickey Funston had a toe poke cleared off the line in the second half. Harps defended brilliantly and are as organised as I've seen in years. With a creative midfielder and a winger or two, we could have made a big push this season.

outspoken
10/08/2014, 8:40 PM
Think due to disappointments in recent years you are being a little hard on yourselves! There is a bit more savvy about Longford this time around and nine wins in a row before tonight would indicate that. Would you not agree Harps were well organised and defended brilliantly last night?
I expect you to have the league in the bag by the time you come up to ballybofey where you will all be made very welcome in your hundreds to celebrate!

Yeah harps defend really well especially mcnulty who won every single ball in the air all night long and made it very frustrating for us. First half we were poor as we have been In the last few games but as in every other game we really came out 2nd half and were unlucky not to win it. I think the reason for such disappointment from the fans anytime we don't pick up a win is becuase we know deep down what a fantastic squad this is and even when we are winning games 3-0 we know we can do even better with a few tweaks here and there so hopefully we will get to see that at some point in the future.

Martinho II
10/08/2014, 9:59 PM
in hindsight we were spoiled rotten the last three months.. that game last night reminded me so much like down in Cobh... the next few games are key..Pat Sullivan was missed last night.. if we can get Rhys into midfield I wouldnt be as worried!
btw great catchin up with the harps lads esp nige whos gone all trendy so noone would recognise him!!

Macy
11/08/2014, 9:19 AM
We probably did enough to win it. Really stepped up in the second half of the second half. A bit contrary to some opinions about our midfield, for me Rice really stepped up in the last 15-20 minutes and drove us on. A bit disappointed, but like others have said, I'd have taken 4 points ahead with 7 to play.

Darklordsbane
11/08/2014, 9:56 AM
I Agree Rice Broke up countless plays but he cannot do the creative role
I'm not and was not trying to have a go at Rice and Salmon, I am trying to make a point that we are mostly up against a 5 man midfield our 4 cannot cope with that, O Connor is having to come inside to help leaving space on the wing,
We imo need Rice to break up play which he is excellent at and Salmon to get on the loose ball and pass to a holding midfielder/playmaker I don't mind if it's Kevin O Connor or Rhys Gorman both of whom can pick a pass to the strikers or wingers,
it's all very well hitting the ball in the direction of your team mate and hoping for the best but you need someone who pass at the right weight and pace thereby putting our guys through on goal

harpstilidie
11/08/2014, 5:38 PM
Was very impressed with your right back on Saturday night. Who is he? I assume he came in for Pat Sullivan for the game. Was very good with the ball at his feet and got forward at every opportunity with Cowan.

Cabs88
11/08/2014, 5:52 PM
Was very impressed with your right back on Saturday night. Who is he? I assume he came in for Pat Sullivan for the game. Was very good with the ball at his feet and got forward at every opportunity with Cowan.

Jamie hulhall, our first choice right back. He was our best player on the night IMO. calm and assured in possession, good positioning and excellent going forward. Came back from a serious injury last year to take Noel Haverty's place in the team. One to keep an eye on in the future.

DOC1982
11/08/2014, 6:26 PM
Think the players need to show more understanding of the conditions. The majority of balls that were played were long aimless balls that were taken by the wind. Made it easy for harps to defend.

Didn't do enough to win the game in my opinion. Once we get back on track on Saturday, that's all that matter at this stage of the season.

nigel-harps1954
11/08/2014, 10:33 PM
The majority of balls that were played were long aimless balls that were taken by the wind. Made it easy for harps to defend.

Difficult to attack, but easy to defend. I'm struggling to get my head around your logic. If they were taken by the wind, surely they'd be just as difficult to defend as to attack?

Acornvilla
11/08/2014, 11:27 PM
Because the defence are facing the ball, so have much more time to read the flight of it to make a clearance. Even if it's taken by the wind, as a defender it's easier to see this happening and compensate. Forwards have to run to the spot the ball is going to and then try and win the challenge/lay it off somewhere.

DOC1982
12/08/2014, 6:40 AM
My point was that how many long balls went straight out or straight to the keeper. Only time in the game on Saturday night that chances were created were from short passing.